PDA

View Full Version : Does the UFC have too many cards now?

Evan
11-23-2009, 12:41 PM
wow didn't even know there was a ufc yesterday

IMO there is too many now. As much as I love MMA the big event feel is now gone.

dallaskd
11-23-2009, 12:57 PM
IMO there is too many now. As much as I love MMA the big event feel is now gone.

Agreed. I dont get excited anymore. Im just like well heres another card.. I liked when there was one every month and sometimes there was only a UFN a certain month.

Somehow Pride always got me for excited shows and it felt like they had one every week. :lol

Evan
11-23-2009, 05:10 PM
figured this was worthy of its own thread.

Thoughts everyone? I miss epic cards but I am sure this is better for the growth of the sport. For now.

desflood
11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I agree also. We've reached the point of over-saturation.

Rip-Hamilton32
11-23-2009, 06:22 PM
i agree, not only is there no build up to most fights now but its impossible to afford all of them when they are so close to eachother

BlackSwordsMan
11-23-2009, 08:08 PM
when tito and forrest is your main headline, yes
Like I said in another thread the TUF finale is better than the last 3-4 ppv's

BlackSwordsMan
11-23-2009, 08:10 PM
or has the potential to be

Soul_Patch
11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
As long as they put some of them on Spike, i think it is OK. I think if they are going to go this route they are heading, with an event every other week, they definately need to save the PPVs for the big name events.

I think the Vera v Couture fight was a good example. Although i think the card this weekend was really good, it probably should have been another spike event.

Save the PPV for the title matches and events.

Evan
11-23-2009, 09:37 PM
when tito and forrest is your main headline, yes
Like I said in another thread the TUF finale is better than the last 3-4 ppv's

In all fairness it was supposed to be Brock & Shane.

dbreiden83080
11-24-2009, 12:22 AM
They do i think more stuff needs to get on free TV. The ufc has been talking up a network deal for so long and Dana has promised that when it happens they will be looking at like 4 events a year on TV, so that will bring the excitement along knowing that you don't have to watch it on a crappy stream if you don't want to plunk down 45 bucks for the PPV. I order i'd say about 5 or 6 PPV's a year. Try to stream the rest, but you really feel the pinch when the UFC is in the spot it is now with many of their top tier stars, injured, or having just fought. The big guns are not lined up to fight and yet they still stay on track with a PPV card a month. More free fights on TV will get me more excited for lackluster cards obviously.. That should happen eventually.

dallaskd
11-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Im tired of free shitty cards on spike tv. It doesnt help its the lamest fucking channel ever. Give me 12 solid ppvs a year. Each title holder defends his belt twice. And give me 3-4 UFN's on spike along with a Ultimate fighter season and finale and im happy.

not this 20+ major UFC event bullshit. I absolutely hate shitty fucking free cards from the UK. Fuck the UK. If your going to hold a show there do it once a year so it can be special. And make it a good card. This is an American company. Pride wasnt in America all the time. How about we go to brasil or somewhere else for once.

dbreiden83080
11-24-2009, 12:35 AM
UFC 105 on Spike was an excellent card..

dallaskd
11-24-2009, 12:41 AM
105 was a bullshit card. boring main event. UK faggots across the board. Only fight i enjoyed was the Matt Brown fight.

CubanSucks
11-24-2009, 12:44 AM
Im tired of free shitty cards on spike tv. It doesnt help its the lamest fucking channel ever. Give me 12 solid ppvs a year. Each title holder defends his belt twice. And give me 3-4 UFN's on spike along with a Ultimate fighter season and finale and im happy.

not this 20+ major UFC event bullshit. I absolutely hate shitty fucking free cards from the UK. Fuck the UK. If your going to hold a show there do it once a year so it can be special. And make it a good card. This is an American company. Pride wasnt in America all the time. How about we go to brasil or somewhere else for once.

Ok well YOU may be happy but I really don't wanna have to pay 50 bucks to watch every event. Big fucking deal if it isn't as "built up". I would think a true fan of the sport would love to see as many free fights as possible.

The only live event I've ever seen was 100 and that was cause I got lucky and knew someone who knew someone who paid for the PPV. When I heard about 105 being on Spike for free, I was so freaking stoked. Did anyone take into consideration the fans out there who can't afford to pay for the PPV?

dallaskd
11-24-2009, 12:47 AM
Ok well YOU may be happy but I really don't wanna have to pay 50 bucks to watch every event. Big fucking deal if it isn't as "built up". I would think a true fan of the sport would love to see as many free fights as possible.
The only live event I've ever seen was 100 and that was cause I got lucky and knew someone who knew someone who paid for the PPV. When I heard about 105 being on Spike for free, I was so freaking stoked. Did anyone take into consideration the fans out there who can't afford to pay for the PPV?

nigga are you trying to say something?

dallaskd
11-24-2009, 12:48 AM
I love the free cards dont get me wrong, but i like the classic suspense and build up towards a fight. where you get 5 pages of discussion before the fight even happens.

CubanSucks
11-24-2009, 12:56 AM
nigga are you trying to say something?

Yeah, I'm trying to say that if you were a true fan you wouldn't need all the suspense to get excited about an event.

dbreiden83080
11-24-2009, 01:01 AM
A mega fight has not been made in a while, the last one was probably GSP/Penn 2 lots of hype and build up for that one. We'll still get the big ones announced and have build up for it, but it hasn't happened in a while..

dallaskd
11-24-2009, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I'm trying to say that if you were a true fan you wouldn't need all the suspense to get excited about an event.

Your talking to someone who would pay 40 dollars for a PRIDE pay per view and stay up till 2 am to watch it live. I have plenty of smaller orgs to give me free mma and keep me happy. I want my UFC cards to be the best. not half ass shows.

CubanSucks
11-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Your talking to someone who would pay 40 dollars for a PRIDE pay per view and stay up till 2 am to watch it live. I have plenty of smaller orgs to give me free mma and keep me happy. I want my UFC cards to be the best. not half ass shows.

But yet you still didn't like a fight between 2 guys in Swick and Hardy who can throw fists like no one's business? Or Bisping's first fight since his only KO loss? Or Couture fighting an amazing striker in Vera? (I know that fight was boring as shit but I was still looking forward to it)

dallaskd
11-24-2009, 01:20 AM
yeah swick and hardy are exciting and i always love to see Randy fight but it just wasnt that great. Id rather have mega fight cards all year long. i will always pay for a fight if it is a good card. Cards like 105 are fine but put them on a UFN and have about 4-5 of those a year. Just my opinion, but the UFC knows what they are doing.

Stringer_Bell
11-24-2009, 03:17 AM
I agree, I'd like to see more order to the UFC PPV cards than just plugging fights with available fighters. There's lots of great story lines to hype up, but for the majority of combat sport fans willing to buy PPV they need to be pulled in with deeper cards.

There are FIVE championship belts in the UFC, and every UFC PPV should have a title match. Of course, sometimes that's not possible due to injuries, but with all the talent -- every 4-5 months the champion should be putting the belt on the line. They can't oversaturate the good name of UFC PPV cards with matches that could barely be co-headliners or uninteresting grudge matches.

UFC Fight Nights are great to showcase fighters making their way up the ladder. 4 times a year, for free, it's nice to see new blood enter the octagon. It'd be amazing to track a fighters start at a UFN, co-headline/headline another UFN, then move up to a maincard UFC PPV in Nov/Dec.

I want awesome names for UFC's too (UFC 48: Payback), Japanese style intros, and possibly even tournament style fights (if that's still even possible, I dunno). Okay, maybe not for every UFC event, but sometimes. :p

ATRAIN
11-24-2009, 02:00 PM
They could pull together some amazing cards if they had one event every 2 months.

polandprzem
11-24-2009, 02:12 PM
If you are not intrested in card do not watch them. Just wait for a big event.

angelbelow
11-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Yea I agree. Ive felt this way ever since UFC100. Thats when i really realized that with all those big fights on one card its just so much more exciting.

djohn14
11-27-2009, 12:01 PM
There are just too many talented fighters, its almost a have to thing to thing to have so many cards. I mean there is the potential to make every card stacked and do the one event per month thing, but I think having more events is better for the growth of the sport. And sometimes when the cards are stacked some good young prospects get pushed to the prelims and dont get their chance to expose themselves to the MMA world.

8FOR!3
11-30-2009, 05:52 PM
The quality just hasn't been there on a few recent cards. No such thing as too much MMA in my books, but I'd rather see a few less shows each year from the UFC and bigger fights/better cards.

dbreiden83080
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
This article is relevant to the thread. Too many events, over-exposure and weaker cards than normal..

http://www.watchkalibrun.com/2009/12/3/1184014/early-ufc-106-ppv-numbers-are-bad

The first week cable estimate on UFC 106 was 330,000, which is even lower than earliest projections we had. UFC 104 with Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio Shogun Rua came in at 450,000 in a cable estimate and 460,000 in a trending estimate. Keep in mind the general rule of thumb by nature of how numbers are reported in the U.S. is that the final number since most UFC buys are in the U.S. will wind up 10-15% above these original numbers, so it's likely Machida-Rua ends up at 500,000, which isn't bad, and UFC 106 winds up 360,000 to 375,000, which for that fight is a gigantic disappointment. Trending numbers right now are indicating about a 27% drop from 104.

Some observers were beginning to believe that 400,000 to 450,000 PPV buys was the new bottom of the barrel for the UFC. If these early number are right then it shows that is not the case and will lend fodder for those that believe that the UFC has peaked in terms of U.S. popularity.

UFC 106 didn't just have bad pay-per view returns. The show was plagued by comped tickets and an empty stadium. All told approximately 37% of UFC 106's tickets were comped and 46% of the ideal gate value (if the event had been sold out) was comped.

So what went wrong?

It was probably a compilation of multiple factors that lead to UFC 106 being a "gigantic disappointment". Obviously the Lesnar-Carwin main even being canceled is at the top of the list then there is the issue of their replacement's purported popularity. Tito Ortiz was coming off an eighteen month layoff while Forrest Griffin was embarrassed at UFC 101, which could have affected their standing with casual fans. Not to mention the fact that November was a month loaded with MMA events including UFC 105, which was shown on Spike for free the week before. Finally there is the Las Vegas economy, which is still in the dumps.

polandprzem
12-04-2009, 04:31 AM
+pacman +floyd

dbreiden83080
12-04-2009, 10:28 AM
+pacman +floyd

What does that have to do with their buyrate the last few events??

polandprzem
12-04-2009, 10:39 AM
ppv buys?

doesn't it?

dbreiden83080
12-04-2009, 12:48 PM
ppv buys?

doesn't it?

Yeah but i'm talking about the recent buys, not future buys..

polandprzem
12-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Yeah but i'm talking about the recent buys, not future buys..

I did not posted floyd vs pacman

floyd was fighting recently and pacman as well

nvm

It was too many shows this autumn for ppl to buy so many ppv's.
Now the finale and then bj vs diego, and next ufc will be on january the second

dbreiden83080
12-04-2009, 01:26 PM
I did not posted floyd vs pacman

floyd was fighting recently and pacman as well

nvm

It was too many shows this autumn for ppl to buy so many ppv's.
Now the finale and then bj vs diego, and next ufc will be on january the second

It's more about lackluster UFC cards than anything else. If they insist on a show a month or more, they need to get that long time rumored Network TV deal done and put like 4 fights a year on TV. Big events with headliners. I do think the UFC has too many events now and they need to tweak their approach..

polandprzem
12-04-2009, 01:51 PM
They've got too many fighters signed ... they need to fight.

But maybe yea it can be an idea to put good ufc card once a month and make more fight nights. But then again - are those fight night gonna bring adequat income for the UFC?

Also lately an injury plague has invided UFC area, that also was one of factors

All in all i'm not very worries as i get UFC from the same source and I'm watching every UFC event.

dbreiden83080
12-04-2009, 01:54 PM
I think they are in danger of losing the big pub for a huge PPV fight. GSP vs Penn 2 had that feel, that lasted for months. Brock and Randy had it also. But lately they are lacking the big fight feel. If you oversaturate with too many cards on PPV then it is hard to build for mega fights. Put more mediocre stuff on Free TV. I really think UFC 107 is not a PPV card at all..

SAtoDallas
01-06-2010, 01:06 PM
The short answer is yes there are too many UFC fights on PPV. It seems like UFC only puts fights on Spike is when they are trying to disrupt Strikeforce.