PDA

View Full Version : Dramatic Pac-10 Nations Best?

symple19
11-23-2009, 07:55 PM
From fanhouse.com

TUCSON, Ariz. -- Here's hoping SEC fans stayed up to watch Oregon beat Arizona Saturday night. They got to see a few things their league hasn't had enough of this season.

Drama, bedlam, theatrics, tension, hilarity and near-riotous fun. And that just begins to describe the Ducks' 44-41 double overtime win.

It finally ended as the clock struck midnight back East. Quarterback Jeremiah Masoli slithered into the end zone to crash what would have been the biggest football party Tucson ever threw.

All of which settled one thing. The Pac-10 is the best conference in America.

Before SEC fans gag on their grits, allow me to clarify. Best doesn't mean the Pac-10 has the most outstanding teams. It has the most outstanding competition, which is even better.

Out West, you never know what's going to happen. Down South, you know what to expect.

Florida will win. Alabama will win.

All meaningful drama has been on hold until the SEC Championship Game Dec. 5. Otherwise, the season's been a sideshow where fans just wait on Lane Kiffin's mouth to rev up or Les Miles' brain to freeze.

That stuff is amusing, but I prefer a death match for the league title. The Pac 10's quality depth was never more evident than Saturday when California beat Stanford 34-28. That would have been the Game of the Day (Non-Charlie Weis Death Watch Division), until the Ducks and Wildcats put on their pinball show.

"It was just good, hard football with a lot of emotion," Oregon receiver D.J. Davis said.

That's what you've gotten all year in the Pac-10. That's why four teams still had realistic shots at the Rose Bowl going into Saturday. And that's why 57,863 fans showed up Saturday night, most of them wearing red.

I know, 57,863 Alabama fans would show up to watch Nick Saban eat breakfast at Waffle House. I've lived in the South most of my life. I ate Golden Flake potato chips because Bear Bryant told me to. I plan on naming my first-born son Tebow if he's virgin birthed.

In other words, you'd have a hard time convincing me anything's superior to the SEC brand. Watching Masoli do his Doug Flutie impersonation melted my prejudice.

Masoli threw for three touchdowns and ran for three more. He led a fourth-quarter rally that led to one of the most satisfying and bizarre scenes of the year.

As the clock wound toward 0:00, fans spilled over the rails and flooded the sideline.

Cue LeGarrette Blount and Boise State flashbacks.

We all remember how Oregon's tailback responded the last time the Ducks lost a close one on the road. The Most Dangerous Man in College Football has since been reinstated, though he's stuck on the bench behind redshirt freshman sensation LaMichael James.
Follow Us on Twitter Friend Us on Facebook

Thousands of fans surrounded the Oregon bench, waiting to turn the field into a wild red sea. Talk about a target rich environment for Blount's right cross.

Fortunately, Masoli was not ready to be swept up in a red tide. He calmly drove the Wildcats 80 yards and hit Ed Dickson with an 8-yard score to tie the game with six seconds left.

"He's just incredible," James said of his quarterback. "He never got down out there."

The Ducks should finally crack the BCS top 10 now. They'll be the only Pac-10 team that high, but the league had five teams in last week's top 25.

The SEC had only three, though all were in the top 10. You can be sure LSU won't be after Miles frittered away a win at Mississippi.

That qualified the Tigers as the SEC's most disappointing team. Or is it Georgia or South Carolina or Auburn or Arkansas?

Let's face it, boys. It's a down year for almost every team outside of Gainesville and Tuscaloosa. The Pac-10 doesn't have a super team, but it has a half-dozen good ones. And if you want to get technical, UCLA thumped Tennessee and Arizona State almost beat Georgia in Athens.

And lest we forget, Pac-10 also-ran USC (how funny is that?) beat Big Ten champ Ohio State on the road. Let's see the fifth-place SEC team do that.

The SEC is like an auto company that has two great cars and a bunch of clunkers. The Pac-10 can roll out a line of impressive models. Oregon is the flashiest, but it still must beat Oregon State in two weeks to win the league crown.

The only bet I'd make on that game is that it won't be as amusing as watching thousands of fans have to slink back to their seats.

"I saw it and I actually smirked," Masoli said of Saturday night's gathering storm of humanity. "It was kind of funny."

Funny, decisive, chaotic and a mystery until the end.

SEC fans may finally experience those things two weeks from now. Pac-10 fans have been getting them all year.

I think there's a lot of BS in here, but it's an interesting take nevertheless. Figured it would give the Pac-10 slobbers more ammo, and something else for us to argue about.

I take issue with the clunkers comment. I also am rather convinced that Auburn/Ole Miss/Kentucky/Arkansas/Georgia could hold their own against pretty much anybody in the Pac-10, and yes, that includes the capability to beat Ohio St. This is a situation where the author is calling the parity in the SEC a symptom of too many down teams, but the parity in the Pac-10 means there are a lot of "impressive" teams. I don't agree, and I watch a lot of both conferences.

I will say that the Pac-10 has been a lot of fun to watch all year, and it still seems to me that Oregon could play with pretty much anyone in the country(when they show up w/ their A game). It's nice to see Stanford playing well, and it's also nice to see USC learn that they're human. I actually thought the Pac-10 would be better than it is this year. Most of the teams are young and there are a lot of good coaches, from Sarkisian at UW to Stoops in Arizona, so I actually think it will be better next year.

Parity is good, but it doesn't mean you're the best.

MajorMike
11-23-2009, 08:07 PM
No suprise it was made in Tucson; another typical liberal tree hugging P10 town.

vander
11-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Bowl games will prove it,

also, SEC needs to start scheduling REAL OoC teams, the multiple cupcakes they schedule every year is pathetic, they've run out of reputation IMO and need to start proving their superiority on the field, Pac-10 teams on the other hand have all played tough out of conference teams, in addition to their own conference schedule being the most grueling in CFB.

tlongII
11-23-2009, 11:17 PM
The article is right on the money. The SEC can't compare to the Pac-10 this year.

vander
11-23-2009, 11:30 PM
C'mon Pac 10, you know you want BSU and someone else, Utah, then you can do what the SEC does, your best teams don't all have to play each other every year, freeing up more weeks to schedule FCS teams for 63-0 tune-up games :lol

there'll be 2 Pac 10 teams making BSC games every year :greedy:toast:greedy

symple19
11-23-2009, 11:33 PM
Bowl games will prove it,

also, SEC needs to start scheduling REAL OoC teams, the multiple cupcakes they schedule every year is pathetic, they've run out of reputation IMO and need to start proving their superiority on the field, Pac-10 teams on the other hand have all played tough out of conference teams, in addition to their own conference schedule being the most grueling in CFB.

mid/lower tier bowl games prove nothing, other than some people will actually watch the theresfleasinyourmomsvag.com bowl

what about the SEC being 2-1 vs the Pac-10?

The SEC has the best out-of-conference record of any conference and it's not even close:
SEC 28-6 vs FBS, 11-0 vs FCS, 39-6 overall
Big East 21-7, 10-0
Pac 10 16-9, 4-0
Big 10 22-10, 9-0

Plenty of cupcakes, sure, but they still win more games than anyone else. Also, the teams that played cupcakes almost all play at least one good OOC game as well. Bama/Va Tech - UF/FSU - Aub/WVA - USCe/Clem(NCState) - UGA/Okie St(ASU) Ark/A&M UT/UCLA LSU/UW UK/UL Miss St/GaTech(UH)

BTW Pac-10, scheduling Notre Dame does not constitute a quality OOC game.

The only SEC teams that avoided playing a decent FBS tea were ole miss and Vandy

vander
11-23-2009, 11:54 PM
LSU-Washington was one of the 3 SEC-P10 games. the 3rd best SEC team beats the 2nd worst Pac 10, impressive, :lol what were the other 2? please don't tell me they were Wazzu and ASU :lol

and the grind of the schedule is a big deal, it's week in week out quality, dangerous opponents in the P10, SEC teams get 1-2 extra weeks in between each legitimate threat they face.

vander
11-24-2009, 12:06 AM
Also, P10 needs to ditch Washington St. they are never going to be able to recruit like they once did, kids, when presented many other options, just aren't going to choose the Palouse, its cold and cloudy most of the school year, there's little to do, and its miles and miles and miles from anything, and that anything is either Boise, a Ski Resort, or Seattle.

they need to drop Wazzu, and pick up BSU, Utah, and BYU, BYU already recruits like an Automatic Qualifying Conference team. that would be hands down the best conference in football.

symple19
11-24-2009, 12:37 AM
Also, P10 needs to ditch Washington St. they are never going to be able to recruit like they once did, kids, when presented many other options, just aren't going to choose the Palouse, its cold and cloudy most of the school year, there's little to do, and its miles and miles and miles from anything, and that anything is either Boise, a Ski Resort, or Seattle.

they need to drop Wazzu, and pick up BSU, Utah, and BYU, BYU already recruits like an Automatic Qualifying Conference team. that would be hands down the best conference in football.

Not gonna happen.

I think WSU could recruit if they got a good coach in there with name recognition. But does the school have the money to hire anyone with a name?

MajorMike
11-24-2009, 10:27 AM
Dogging a league because they scheduled a BCS team that is down? How cowardly is that? Like LSU knew when they made the contract with Willigham that UDub was going to suck? Like OSU knew when they went to #1 UGA a few years ago that UGA would have a down year the year they come here? How completely ignorant.

The B12 specifically added the 12th game a few years back (1st conf to do so) under the agreement that each team would schedule at least one marquee BCS matchup a year. Since that time we have seen UT/Ohio, uo/Bama, OSU/UGA, Neb/VaTek, atm/arKy, uo/Miami, OSU/Wazzu, BU/Wake, BU/UConn, KU/USF, and so on. ISU plays Iowa annually and Mizzou plays (played) Illinois annually and so on. The B12 also routinely schedules the best from the MWC and CUSA (BYU, TCU, Houston, Tulsa, So Miss, USAFA, UCF, etc).

That is like laughing at SC because thety play ND every year. We all know that's a cupcake these days; but that's not the idea when it was scheduled. Additionally, SOS is a very fickle thing. For instance, UDub and Wazzu have what are regarded to be a couple of the toughest schedules in the nation. Well, you know what? If UDub and Wazzu were decent and could win a few games, their opponent's records would be lesser and therefore their SOS would be weaker. Simply the nature of the beast. The B12 has no doubt been very disapponiting this year (uo likely the most in the NCAA, plus KU, Mizzou and ttek all down) but even so will have 10 team eligible for bowls because they beat up on each other all year. Every single B12 team with the exception of Baylor (who lost their All-World QB) and CU (bye bye coach) has at least 6 wins. The B12's worst two teams have as many wins as the P10's worst 3 teams.

So in the long run... here is the question. Do you want to annually be a league like the P10 who, for once in a lifetime, is regarded as the best conf in the land and have no shot at the BCS Game because of inexplicable losses; or do you want to be the SEC or the B12, most generally seen as the #1 and #2 leagues out there - but still having a shot to win the BCS Game annually?

I guess if your only goal is to win your conf, be the supposed best league, and get one BCS spot, you go with the P10.

Interestingly enough, the 3 leagues generally seen as the weakest are the ACC, BEasy, and B10. The B10 has more BCS bids than anyone (18) and the other two are only 2 behind the P10 (13-11-11) fighting for last place (SEC 17 B12 16). P10 is also the only BCS conf in which only one team has multiple appearances. I didn't know the P10 also has the fewest BCS Champ Game appearances of any BCS Conf.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-24-2009, 10:42 AM
The Pac-10 is overrated. All this talk about Pac 10 > SEC is ridiculous.

tlongII
11-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Dogging a league because they scheduled a BCS team that is down? How cowardly is that? Like LSU knew when they made the contract with Willigham that UDub was going to suck? Like OSU knew when they went to #1 UGA a few years ago that UGA would have a down year the year they come here? How completely ignorant.

The B12 specifically added the 12th game a few years back (1st conf to do so) under the agreement that each team would schedule at least one marquee BCS matchup a year. Since that time we have seen UT/Ohio, uo/Bama, OSU/UGA, Neb/VaTek, atm/arKy, uo/Miami, OSU/Wazzu, BU/Wake, BU/UConn, KU/USF, and so on. ISU plays Iowa annually and Mizzou plays (played) Illinois annually and so on. The B12 also routinely schedules the best from the MWC and CUSA (BYU, TCU, Houston, Tulsa, So Miss, USAFA, UCF, etc).

That is like laughing at SC because thety play ND every year. We all know that's a cupcake these days; but that's not the idea when it was scheduled. Additionally, SOS is a very fickle thing. For instance, UDub and Wazzu have what are regarded to be a couple of the toughest schedules in the nation. Well, you know what? If UDub and Wazzu were decent and could win a few games, their opponent's records would be lesser and therefore their SOS would be weaker. Simply the nature of the beast. The B12 has no doubt been very disapponiting this year (uo likely the most in the NCAA, plus KU, Mizzou and ttek all down) but even so will have 10 team eligible for bowls because they beat up on each other all year. Every single B12 team with the exception of Baylor (who lost their All-World QB) and CU (bye bye coach) has at least 6 wins. The B12's worst two teams have as many wins as the P10's worst 3 teams.

So in the long run... here is the question. Do you want to annually be a league like the P10 who, for once in a lifetime, is regarded as the best conf in the land and have no shot at the BCS Game because of inexplicable losses; or do you want to be the SEC or the B12, most generally seen as the #1 and #2 leagues out there - but still having a shot to win the BCS Game annually?

I guess if your only goal is to win your conf, be the supposed best league, and get one BCS spot, you go with the P10.

Interestingly enough, the 3 leagues generally seen as the weakest are the ACC, BEasy, and B10. The B10 has more BCS bids than anyone (18) and the other two are only 2 behind the P10 (13-11-11) fighting for last place (SEC 17 B12 16). P10 is also the only BCS conf in which only one team has multiple appearances. I didn't know the P10 also has the fewest BCS Champ Game appearances of any BCS Conf.

Orly? Who was UT's marquee matchup this year?

vander
11-24-2009, 12:01 PM
hey mike, when was the last time Washington finished in the top 3 in the Pac10, don't give me that crap about "they couldn't have known it would be a down year" top SEC teams just aren't scheduling top teams of any other conference, they schedule FCS teams

and are you seriously comparing ND to the likes of Fl int., Chattanooga, and Charleston Southern? :lol:rollin:lol

MajorMike
11-24-2009, 03:41 PM
hey mike, when was the last time Washington finished in the top 3 in the Pac10, don't give me that crap about "they couldn't have known it would be a down year" top SEC teams just aren't scheduling top teams of any other conference, they schedule FCS teams

and are you seriously comparing ND to the likes of Fl int., Chattanooga, and Charleston Southern? :lol:rollin:lol

Not being from s BSC conf, I can see how you would easily miss the point (after all you are used to things getting left out).

When uo agreed in 2005 to play at Miami, I'm sure they had no clue they would be wallowing in a poor state of affairs in 2007.

OSU has scheduled Zona in 2011 and 2012, Purdue in 2013 and 2016, NC State in 2014 and 2015, USAFA in 2015 and 2016, and Clemson in 2017 and 2018. We have zero clue about how good those teams will be, or how good OSU will be for that matter. Are they Florida and SC? No. But neither is OSU.

Comparing who to whom is silly, but if you want to make silly comparisons, this yea I would compare UDub and Wazzu to Charleston Southern.

Even funnier still... I don't see the logic in laughing at LSU and BU for beating up on poor UDub and Wazzu when every P10 team gets to beat up on them by default. And obviously the elitest P10 team can't even do that.

johngateswhiteley
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
i'm not dogging the league for scheduling down teams. i'm dogging them for scheduling 1-AA and crap teams...and for being inferior to the Pac-10. this doesn't have to be about okie light...

vander
11-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Mike, you're the only one bringing up the B12, I'm only talking about on the SEC and their scheduling. If you can't see that SEC schools predominantly won't schedule out of conference opponents who can potentially beat them, you're just being a blind fool.

MajorMike
11-24-2009, 09:15 PM
i'm not dogging the league for scheduling down teams. i'm dogging them for scheduling 1-AA and crap teams...and for being inferior to the Pac-10. this doesn't have to be about okie light...

Right, you are talking about Oregon State (Portland State, UNLV), SC (San Jose State), UCLA (San Diego State), Cal (Eastern Washington), Stanford (San Jose State), Az State (Idaho State, La-Monroe), Zona (Central Mich, Northern Zona), UDub (Idaho), Wazzu (Hawaii), Oregon (Purdue).

You don't credit for playing good ooc games, then you don't get to take it, either. Sure SC and UCLA can holler all day about never playing a 1-AA, but they sure will load up annually on teams that haven't been 1-AA for 10 years, or so and don't have as many Div 1 wins as Pete Carroll has crows feet.

MajorMike
11-24-2009, 09:24 PM
Mike, you're the only one bringing up the B12, I'm only talking about on the SEC and their scheduling. If you can't see that SEC schools predominantly won't schedule out of conference opponents who can potentially beat them, you're just being a blind fool.

Bama scheduled uo, VaTek, Clemson, Fla State; UGA scheduled OSU, Az State, Ga Tek, BOISE (he-lloooo); Fla plays Fla State, played Miami last year; LSU plays Va Tek, Zona, Az State; Auburn plays WVa, USF, Ga Tek, Neb.

Its the same story on B12; ya'll perpetuate these myths then start to believe they are true.

MajorMike
11-24-2009, 09:25 PM
Orly? Who was UT's marquee matchup this year?

Portland State.

vander
11-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Right, you are talking about Oregon State (Portland State, UNLV), SC (San Jose State), UCLA (San Diego State), Cal (Eastern Washington), Stanford (San Jose State), Az State (Idaho State, La-Monroe), Zona (Central Mich, Northern Zona), UDub (Idaho), Wazzu (Hawaii), Oregon (Purdue).

You don't credit for playing good ooc games, then you don't get to take it, either. Sure SC and UCLA can holler all day about never playing a 1-AA, but they sure will load up annually on teams that haven't been 1-AA for 10 years, or so and don't have as many Div 1 wins as Pete Carroll has crows feet.

wow, you're really reaching with some of those, some good teams in there.

why don't we just compare all of P10's OoC opponents to all of SEC's, and the rest of the conferences while we're at it, based on the rankings of the scheduled teams, hmm, and then we might as well create a strength of schedule figure to easily compare all the teams.

wait, I think lots of other people have already done that, and they all have the P10 teams as having the toughest schedules! :wow:wow:wow
and that's even including the in-conference games, the SEC's "toughest conference schedule" couldn't even save them :lol:lol

MajorMike
11-25-2009, 09:00 AM
Again, you are attempting to use the same arguement to defend your cause but discounting it when it discredits your cause.

In common vernacular that is called a hypocrite.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2009, 11:18 AM
http://www.collegegameballs.com/2009/05/20/2009-out-of-conference-schedule-strength-by-conference-and-team/

i know its 2008 and they are talking about washington, specifically...but i found the first sentence relevant.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/47482-qualk-talk-top-five-toughest-non-conference-schedules-in-america

Beaverfuzz
11-25-2009, 11:32 AM
C'mon Pac 10, you know you want BSU and someone else, Utah, then you can do what the SEC does, your best teams don't all have to play each other every year, freeing up more weeks to schedule FCS teams for 63-0 tune-up games :lol

there'll be 2 Pac 10 teams making BSC games every year :greedy:toast:greedy

Boise is nowhere near the academic university that any of the other Pac-10 schools are. PhD's in truckerology don't count.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2009, 11:44 AM
Boise is nowhere near the academic university that any of the other Pac-10 schools are. PhD's in truckerology don't count.

thats brutal brother...but true. in fact, no major conference is even close to the Pac-10 in academics.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2009, 12:12 PM
http://lloydvance.wordpress.com/2009/11/17/what-conference-is-the-best/

suck a dick...dick face.

symple19
11-25-2009, 12:14 PM
http://www.collegegameballs.com/2009/05/20/2009-out-of-conference-schedule-strength-by-conference-and-team/

i know its 2008 and they are talking about washington, specifically...but i found the first sentence relevant.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/47482-qualk-talk-top-five-toughest-non-conference-schedules-in-america

That first link is now my #1 reason for having a playoff. No more math, let's do it on the field.

That said, here is a case for the SEC being better this year.

http://www.secsportsfan.com/2009-sec-vs-pac10-comparison.html
Is SEC or Pac-10 Football the Best This Year?

Personally, I can’t stand rankings that reward depth over true excellence. From my point of view, a wealth of solid mediocrity does not make up for even a patch of greatness. For that reason, even if it were true that Pac 10 made up for the SEC’s top three with greater depth throughout, I would still argue that the SEC is a much better conference. That said, the fact is that the SEC is not just better than the Pac 10 at the top, it is stronger from titlist to doormat.

First, lets look at the top of the totem pole. The top four teams in the SEC are Florida, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss. The first two of these are currently undefeated and set to face off in a title game that will send one (and perhaps two if Texas chokes) of them to the BCS Championship Game. The third team, LSU, has three losses, which would indicate a precipitous drop in conference strength until one looks at the schedule. Florida, Alabama (away), and Ole Miss (away) accounted for these three loses so LSU actually lost three games to its top three rivals nationally; two of whom are also, non-incidentally, the top two squads in the nation.

As for Ole Miss, it also has three losses, but, again, two of these were on the road and all were to ranked teams. While those with short memories only notice that the Rebels just crawled back into the rankings, the fact is that they were a top-four team earlier this year, boast a win over rival LSU, and have lost only to Alabama (5-0), Auburn (5-2 at the time), and the upset special Gamecocks.

Let's compare that to the top of the Pac 10. Last year, the West Coast case might have been stronger since USC was, according to many (myself included) actually the best team in the nation. However, after jaw dropping losses to Oregon (by 27), perennial conference doormat Stanford (by 34), and current doormat Washington, the Trojans are no-longer the class of their conference and don’t even belong in the same discussion with the SEC top four. While USC may recover next year as QB Matt Barkley matures, they simply are not in that ballpark right now.

Instead, the comparable (so to speak) teams in the Pac 10 are the Oregon Ducks (9-2 with losses to Boise State and Stanford), Oregon State (8-3 with losses to USC, Cincinnati, and un-ranked Arizona) and Cal (8-3). While the top two teams in the SEC are undefeated, the top two in the Pac 10 each have at least two losses (one to an unranked in-conference squad). Case closed on the top-of-the-pole discussion.

How about further on down the line? The Pac 10’s ‘strength’ relative to the SEC supposedly comes from the depth of its mediocrity. However, is it actually deeper than the SEC field? Teams 4-7 in the Pac 10 standings are Stanford (7-4 with two losses to unranked teams), USC (holding on to respectability by name recognition only), unranked Arizona (6-4), and UCLA (6-5). The comparable 4-7 field in the SEC consists of Arkansas (7-4 but 4-0 in non-SEC play), Auburn (7-4, ditto for non-SEC play, and began the season 5-0), Kentucky (7-4), and Tennessee (6-5). Notably, none of these teams (except UT's early season loss to UCLA) suffered a defeat outside the SEC, and none lost to teams that spent the entire season un-ranked. What this suggests is that, through squad 7, the SEC is almost unbeatable outside its own conference because their team losses are all in-conference AND to ranked teams.

Therefore, the conclusion is clear: not only is the SEC much better at the top, its strength extends all the way through seven teams. By comparison, the Pac 10’s top two barely crack the top 10 in the national rankings (whereas Florida and Alabama have traded 1-2 all season), and its middle group has several losses to unranked squads.

The ultimate conclusion: the SEC is exponentially better at the top and is, in fact, stronger seven teams deep as well. Of course, for those who want to judge a conference’s strength by its doormats, Washington does have two upset wins in the Pac 10 while Vanderbilt is still aweful. Some things just don’t change.

also, the SEC is 62-39-5 all time versus the pac-10

however, the pac-10 is 12-8 vs the SEC since 1998 (including 2 USC beatdowns of Auburn)

symple19
11-25-2009, 12:16 PM
and tell me one more time jgw why are you for both the aggies and the trojans? I don't think I've heard the explanation

symple19
11-25-2009, 12:24 PM

:lol

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2009, 12:32 PM
and tell me one more time jgw why are you for both the aggies and the trojans? I don't think I've heard the explanation

no offense, but i don't care to talk about it anymore. i like who i like and support who i support. if you want to know, search the forum or ask someone else.

symple19
11-25-2009, 12:35 PM
no offense, but i don't care to talk about it anymore. i like who i like and support who i support. if you want to know, search the forum or ask someone else.

wasn't asking to bag on you dude, I just didn't know why

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2009, 12:57 PM
wasn't asking to bag on you dude, I just didn't know why

didn't think you were, its just been discussed ad nauseam.

vander
11-25-2009, 03:29 PM

right, you need to have PhD's in science, so your bright little minds can go out and create big global warming hoaxes with big government grants for big government favors and $$$$, those count, that's what makes a University Prestigious, how much money it can defraud the country for in the name of science and research :lol :toast

c'mon, the conferences are more about football than anything.

And mike, what am I ignoring? your problem right now, I think, is you're just pointing to one game here and one game there thinking that makes your argument. you think that USC playing SJSU completely proves a point on one side, and that Georgia Tech/Georgia completely proves the point on the other side. no, you have to see the whole picture, account for everything, there is a reason that the SEC teams, even though it is supposedly the best conference, don't have the highest SoS ratings, and that reason is they schedule more cupcakes than anyone else.

johngateswhiteley
11-25-2009, 04:05 PM
right, you need to have PhD's in science, so your bright little minds can go out and create big global warming hoaxes with big government grants for big government favors and $$$$, those count, that's what makes a University Prestigious, how much money it can defraud the country for in the name of science and research :lol :toast

And mike, what am I ignoring? your problem right now, I think, is you're just pointing to one game here and one game there thinking that makes your argument. you think that USC playing SJSU completely proves a point on one side, and that Georgia Tech/Georgia completely proves the point on the other side. no, you have to see the whole picture, account for everything, there is a reason that the SEC teams, even though it is supposedly the best conference, don't have the highest SoS ratings, and that reason is they schedule more cupcakes than anyone else.

capt. littletikes is hopeless...you have to ignore him on most things Pac 10 and whatever involves okie state and the big 12 south.

MajorMike
11-26-2009, 12:19 AM

Proving my point is you being a coward and picking and chosing what arguements you want to present while ignoring the rest of the picture.

You say this SEC normally schedules lightwieghts; which when you ignore the fact that UGA played Boise, which I indeed did say but you glossed right over, must evidently be true. Therefore by default since the SEC can't schedule anyone Boise must be a cupcake as well. And then UCLA. And Az State. Oh, wait... those are P10 teams, and the P10 is so mighty, so that CAN'T be true. *waiting for universe to implode as the tap dancing begins* And uo. And SC. And Clemson. And Va Tek. And Fla State. And Ga Tek. You get the point. Basically you are saying on the one hand that the SEC, for example, schedules cupcakes and then forget who they actually play. The SEC has very recently played both your and jgw's teams (both of his, too) and you still maintain they don't schedule anyone, which is self serving, ignorant, and a lie all at the same time. Just like Metallica says, "You lie so much you believe yourself."

Arguing with you and jgw is exactly like arguing with my seven year old; she thinks she is always right when she obviously doesn't have a clue - but it seems SO clear to her.

johngateswhiteley
11-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Arguing with you and jgw is exactly like arguing with my seven year old; she thinks she is always right when she obviously doesn't have a clue - but it seems SO clear to her.

you just described yourself...your daughter must take after you. anyway, its clear the Pac-10 plays tougher out of conference games as a whole than any other conference. That doesn't mean the SEC doesn't have some teams that challenge themselves...thats not what we, at least i, am talking about. and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone, well informed, who disagrees with that. you're getting off track...

vander
11-26-2009, 02:31 PM
yeah, I give up, UGA scheduled Boise, so obviously the SEC schedules as tough as any other conference :lol the proof is right there! Mike can name like 7 tough teams that SEC has played over the years, I mean OMFG! case closed! :lol:lol:lol

dirk4mvp
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
bluegrass fan stroking the pac-10 is a sight for sore eyes.

Beaverfuzz
11-27-2009, 11:08 PM

I know you think Boise is cool because it was mentioned in the movie Top Gun but others see the shortcomings in Boise's academics. You might be able to get into the Mountain West one of these days. :lol