PDA

View Full Version : Spurs G/F Rotation

DesignatedT
11-23-2009, 11:00 PM
Obviously with TP and RJ starting were also getting some very productive minutes from Hill + Bogans. My question is when Manu comes back... thats already 5 players getting a good chunk of minutes. Currently finley and mason are both playin around 20mpg a game. once manu come back where are the minutes going between these 2 guys and when it comes down to a tight playoff rotation are these 2 guys totally out of it. discuss

HarlemHeat37
11-23-2009, 11:02 PM
This is a good problem to have IMO..Hill and Bogans are looking like big contributors right now, especially Hill..there's a huge drop-off to Mason/Finley, but Manu obviously makes up that difference AND more..

The problem is obviously Manu's health, and that's going to be a concern until June(hopefully the end of June)..

Amuseddaysleeper
11-23-2009, 11:02 PM
Mason's minutes will take the hardest hit.

EP Money Man
11-23-2009, 11:05 PM
You cannot deny ooeeepoooeeee!

Starting: TD, Dice, RJ, Boogey Man, TP

Hill first off the bench, for Boogey or TP. Then Manu, Hill slides to point.

SamoanTD
11-23-2009, 11:13 PM
I think it will be depending on the team we play if we use more of fin or more of mase.

jason1301
11-24-2009, 02:58 AM
the problem is not who is starting but who is finishing games? would you leave Hill on the bench? or would you play TP Manu Hill RJ and TD?

Spots 1-2 are overcrowded

raspsa
11-24-2009, 04:01 AM
Where's the problem? Pop'ssystem allocates PT based on performance. I know Finley critics won't agree. But if a player is doing well, he'll get PT.

jason1301
11-24-2009, 04:29 AM
raspsa its not as simple, we have seen players like Manu missing their shots all night and then win the game for us at the last second?

Crunch time would you play anyone over Manu? Would you want to keep Hill in the game for his defense? Not an easy call.

raspsa
11-24-2009, 06:06 AM
raspsa its not as simple, we have seen players like Manu missing their shots all night and then win the game for us at the last second?

Crunch time would you play anyone over Manu? Would you want to keep Hill in the game for his defense? Not an easy call.

I agree, tough call.. but if Manu is having an off game and some other player is doing well, I wouldn't mind sitting Manu out at the end.. you go with the player who's hot.. now if they're all crappy, then Manu would be my choice to end the game.

#2!
11-24-2009, 06:16 AM
This "problem" eliminates the old problem of constant paranoia about manu's health. Also, when he would come back from injury before it would take him time to get back into the swing of things, and he would sometimes over exert himself (like he does) for winning's sake.

But by playoff time I think Mase and Finley come in for stretches when multiple players aren't playing well to either 1.) Provide instant offense with Mason, or 2.) Finley for his experience as a Spur in almost every possible situation

urunobili
11-24-2009, 08:31 AM
Finley benched for good... Hill and Mase losing some minutes...

kace
11-24-2009, 09:02 AM

for me, it's a very easy call. Tim, tony and manu are locks to finish the game. It's not even a question. Even if they are 2/15 with 5 TO.

the two last spots can be choosen given the opposition. right now, Dice, RJ and Hill would probably be the three sharing the last minutes in those two spots remaining. Ratliff or Bonner if hot depending what's needed.

for an only specific possession: Fin or Mase for a last desperate 3 could be in sometimes. why not Bonner if he's hot from behind the arc.

If you have a defensive last possession or with a time-out after: Hill, Bogans, RJ, Ratliff/Dice, Duncan could be tried though.

but for the last 5 minutes of a close game, Tim, Manu and TP are in. no hesitation IMO.

SpurNation
11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I don't think it will be a concise A,B and C player after Ginobili gets back healthy. It will be a game by game situation that determines who will play the most minutes or even be in a game.

Each game, match ups, number of days rest between, who's hot, who's struggling is going to determine the players on the court. And this not only from how the Spurs are playing but how the opponent is playing as well.

Ginobili back and healthy can result him playing point, 2 guard and even the 3. It will be a great problem to have come stretches where the team may be fatigued. As I see it now...as long as Bogans and Hill continue to get better as the season wears on...a healthy Ginobili is more of an insurance policy for the playoffs.

Mason and Fin will definately be switching play time depending on these situations too. I would think it would be who has the hot hand for that game, match ups, and energy that will see the most minutes played. Again...a bonus for the Spurs if all the other elements of everybody else's game are clicking for that game.

A great problem to have indeed. One we don't have if any one of our bigs gets hurt.

spursncowboys
11-24-2009, 09:28 AM
Obviously with TP and RJ starting were also getting some very productive minutes from Hill + Bogans. My question is when Manu comes back... thats already 5 players getting a good chunk of minutes. Currently finley and mason are both playin around 20mpg a game. once manu come back where are the minutes going between these 2 guys and when it comes down to a tight playoff rotation are these 2 guys totally out of it. discuss
great thread. Good point. We have too much talent. These guys need roles. I think Hill manu and jeff should see any min that duncan is out. Those three play great together.

Interrohater
11-24-2009, 11:43 AM
To be honest, I see Manu taking minutes from each, Bogans, Finley, Mason and Hill. Take away five minutes from the first three, the three and a half minutes from Hairston and about three minutes from Hill. You've got 21 minutes for Manu and a pretty good rotation for everybody else. Hairston, obviously, won't be playing again unless there's another injury.

TD 21
11-24-2009, 05:02 PM
The playoff rotation in general is clear. Blair is almost certainly out as is one of Finley / Mason. Finley, while sub-par defensively, offers 2 more inches of length, which this team needs on the wings, considering Jefferson is really their only SF sized player. Plus, we know Pop is a big fan of his professionalism, leadership and the fact that he's an experienced vet. Mason, on the other hand, is a better player at this point in their respective careers. He can shoot, unlike Finley, off his own dribble and in general can handle / pass on the move better (though he's not great himself at these two things). The Spurs figure to have enough scoring / creators in general on the court, so my guess is Mason, unless he's shooting the lights out and Finley is in a serious shooting slump at the time, get's squeezed, mainly because he can't play SF.

Look for this to be the playoff rotation

Starters: PF- Duncan, SF- Jefferson, C- McDyess, SG- Bogans, PG- Parker

Bench / rotation: SG- Ginobili, PF- Bonner, PG/SG- Hill, C- Ratliff, SG/SF- Finley

Bench / out of rotation: SG/PG- Mason, PF- Blair

Inactive: SG/SF- Hairston, PF- Haislip, C/PF- Mahinmi

Josepatches_
11-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Tony,Manu and TD are starters and the best players of the team.No doubt.If they are healthy they always have to be at the end of games.

Manu came off the bench these years because Pop wanted him to lead the second unit when TP and TD are in the bench.A very good move by Pop.
But Manu is a starter if you talk about the players who made the best 5 of the team.Those players are the starters in most of the NBA teams and basketball teams around the world.

gospursgojas
11-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I posted in another thread that Pop's reservations of starting Manu were all about losing production when going to the bench.

With as good as Hill is playing and Bonner fitting better into a bench role, Pop may now not have to worry so much about production from the bench. They wont give them the starters production. But maybe at least maintain the lead.

TP, Manu, Jeff, Tim, and Dice is a pretty swell starting lineup.

Hill, Fin/bogans, Mase, Bonner, Blair/theo has its perks too (if they are hitting their 3's)