PDA

View Full Version : Post Game Quotes (Bucks Game)

duncan228
11-24-2009, 12:27 AM
Post Game Quotes (http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/quotes_091123.html)

Spurs Head Coach Gregg Popovich

On the game - “The defense got us a game tonight. In the third quarter, we did a good job with the pick-and-roll, unlike in the second quarter when they carved us up. In the third quarter, we really picked it up. We defended well both individually and as a team. That fueled us and got us the win.”
On Keith Bogans - “He’s out there because of his aggressiveness and defensive ability. The team reacts to that.”

On the improvement in rebounding - “Basketball, as I’ve said before, is a game of mistakes. People concentrate on the things they’re doing poorly. This is a good character group, so they focus on the things that are not going so well.”

Matt Bonner

On his performance - “It was one of those nights when everything was falling. My teammates did a great job of finding me when I was open and I wish I could have just kept on shooting. We have been doing a great job sharing the ball.”

On halftime adjustments - “We let up at the end of the first half and let them get into the game – and even let them take the lead going into the break. We just knew we had to come out with energy and intensity and if we played hard on defense and executed on offense, the points will take care of themselves.”

On the offense of the Spurs the last two games - “It’s hard to guard a team where everyone is contributing, when everyone is scoring and everyone is dangerous. We just have to keep rolling with that.”

On coming off the bench vs. starting - “It’s a lot different, they don’t really differ as far as execution or game plans but for sure mentally there is a big difference. I am quite comfortable coming off the bench and watch the game develop and settle and then come in and make some shots to help the team.”

On the next game against Golden State - “We are going to have to work hard in transition defense. You know how they love to run up and down the court and put a lot of points on the board.”

Roger Mason Jr.

On the second quarter - "We didn’t finish the half well at all. They made a run and our intensity wasn’t there. They were the aggressor. Coming to the second half, we wanted to be the aggressors."

On the Spurs bench - "We are a deep team. It’s everyone’s responsibility to bring it, no matter when you are in the game. And if you are coming off the bench you have to bring it quicker. Definitely guys know that we get in we try to push the tempo."

On Matt Bonner - "Matt Bonner was ‘el fuego’ tonight; I was just trying to get him as many passes as possible because it looked like every shot was going in. He doesn’t move on his jump shot – he catches and shoots. It’s something that’s quicker and it’s hard to contest that. Anytime you can beat your man and get him an open shot we will try to do that."

On team defense - "Our defense is improving over time. Obviously you want to continue to improve and win games at the same time. When we can improve defensively and still win it’s good."

Scott Skiles

On Bonner stepping up tonight - “Tim had a big night on us relatively easily and Tony was breaking us down. At the beginning of the game we were having a hard time shutting him down. Bonner played great. Out of 48 minutes we had about five good minutes of defense right there at the end of the half when we were able to take the lead back. Other than that it wasn’t near a good enough effort. If you’re going to let the Spurs shoot above 50% and almost 48% from the three-point line and foul too much when they’re at 85% from the line you’re not going to win.”

On Duncan taking over early in the 3rd quarter - “It was both halves…the start of the game and the start of the 3rd. We got back into it in the later stages of the second quarter. Our defense noticeably picked up. Our ball movement got going and we started knocking down some shots. Then we kind of came out in the 3rd quarter and went back to how we were in the beginning of the game. That’s a good club and you have to be on at all times. We were just too up and down. We had too many not-quality possessions on both sides of the floor.”

On their defense against Duncan - “Danny was doing a good job of getting in front of him. The problem was when they brought Bonner in. We went to playing behind Tim at that point because we were trying to stay with Bonner on the perimeter. We ended up not doing a good job of either one. Bonner got loose on us on the perimeter and Tim went down low and scored some as well. We had a hard time in general. We had a hard time keeping them out of the paint. We got destroyed on the boards. Balls were bouncing around and we’ve been getting those balls and tonight they got them and we didn’t.”

On Jennings’ performance tonight - “I don’t think he was forcing shots. He went to the rim a few times there in transition and came up empty. They played pretty good defense on him. He had some looks that he has been making and just missed tonight. I don’t think he forced too much tonight.”

Charlie Bell

On the game - "Usually we come into the fourth quarter and jump on teams but tonight we started the third quarter with bad moves and allowed the Spurs to score 37 points. We didn’t have any defense at all during the second half. We couldn’t recover from our second half start. The Spurs are a good team and now we have to put this loss behind us and get ready for New Orleans."

On Matt Bonner - "We know how great a shooter Matt Bonner is. Matt is on of those players that when he gets the ball and he’s open you may as well cont the points. It’s a tough task when you have Tim Duncan in the post who is one of the post players in the league and then you have Matt shooting the way he was tonight it is very tough to guard. Matt did a great job making the shots tonight."

On the Spurs - "The Spurs are a good team and they know what they are doing. They came out tonight and took it to us and we need to take this game and learn from it."

Brandon Jennings

On the game - "The spurs guards were attacking tonight just how we attack tonight. We were both trying to set screens and go for the stops. This was a tough night and it something for us to learn from. We are 3-1 on the road we have to stay focused and get the win. The main thing we have to remember is we lost this game and now its time to move on and go to New Orleans and get a win."

Blackjack
11-24-2009, 12:48 AM
Matt Bonner

“We let up at the end of the first half and let them get into the game

Roger Mason Jr.

On the second quarter - "We didn’t finish the half well at all. They made a run and our intensity wasn’t there.

I'm glad they admitted it because you couldn't help but notice how much the energy and intensity dropped after they went up 15; at 5-6 they shouldn't be taking any success for granted..

Timmy looked as good as he has physically, (hopefully it's not an abberation and he's just rounding into shape) Hill played some of the best point he's played as a Spur, Bonner was lights-out, Bogans was a bulldog, Mason's getting untracked, and the team looks to be finding some rhythm now that they're playing on a regular basis.

The overall team defense continues to trend in the right direction, even if the turnovers are hurting the numbers, and the offense looks to be taking a better form and finding a decent flow; even if it's been pretty potent to date.

Hopefully they can keep pounding that rock, take advantage of this heavy home schedule, maintain/get healthy, and find the continuity they need to make the success translate on the road..

duhoh
11-24-2009, 12:50 AM
respect

Bender
11-24-2009, 12:51 AM
wonder what was wrong with mason the first 10 games? I was getting to hate seeing him ever on the court. Past few games he is pickin it up.

SpurNation
11-24-2009, 12:58 AM
I love it. I'll be happy all day tomorrow.

Chieflion
11-24-2009, 01:09 AM
I'm glad they admitted it because you couldn't help but notice how much the energy and intensity dropped after they went up 15; at 5-6 they shouldn't be taking any success for granted..

Timmy looked as good as he has physically, (hopefully it's not an abberation and he's just rounding into shape) Hill played some of the best point he's played as a Spur, Bonner was lights-out, Bogans was a bulldog, Mason's getting untracked, and the team looks to be finding some rhythm now that they're playing on a regular basis.

The overall team defense continues to trend in the right direction, even if the turnovers are hurting the numbers, and the offense looks to be taking a better form and finding a decent flow; even if it's been pretty potent to date.

Hopefully they can keep pounding that rock, take advantage of this heavy home schedule, maintain/get healthy, and find the continuity they need to make the success translate on the road..

Well, Bonner was probably not in at the end of the 1st half, I forgot about Mason though, but he looks like he is building on from the Wizards and Bucks game, so I hope he finds his groove soon. The role players stepped up and showed their best effort, hopefully our main guys show up and not make stupid decisions.

Thompson
11-24-2009, 01:09 AM
wonder what was wrong with mason the first 10 games? I was getting to hate seeing him ever on the court. Past few games he is pickin it up.

I'm hoping it was just a confidence issue; he had relatively little time early on in the season, and it was harder for him to get in a groove and build his confidence.

FkLA
11-24-2009, 02:01 AM
Mason is a shooter, they all go through bad slumps. I couldnt believe people were dissing him so badly early in the season because we all know and saw last season how wet his shot is...that how shooters are one game can turn them around. Bonner started off the same way and he had a good game against Dallas I believe and since than he's been shooting well.

Also Dick needs to quit deferring so much, 7 shot attempts is unacceptable. I still dont understand why he defers to Tim and Tony so much. All the Bonner haters can stfu too...players and coaches realize how valuable of an asset having a 3 point shooting center next to TD is and yall should too.

Bukefal
11-24-2009, 06:50 AM
The Mason and Bonner hate on here has suddenly 'left the building' :lol

TJastal
11-24-2009, 08:37 AM
The Mason and Bonner hate on here has suddenly 'left the building' :lol

Love how you act all innocent of Bonner hate with this comment.
A quick search reveals a prior post of yours ...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129737&highlight=bonner

Bufefal wrote on 6/26

Bonner should go, Finley I don't mind him staying and Blair needs to play!

Open mouth, insert foot. :lol

Bukefal
11-24-2009, 08:51 AM
Love how you act all innocent of Bonner hate with this comment.
A quick search reveals a prior post of yours ...

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129737&highlight=bonner

Bufefal wrote on 6/26

Bonner should go, Finley I don't mind him staying and Blair needs to play!

Open mouth, insert foot. :lol

Nice try, but the thing is; I wanted him to go then and I still want him to go.
My point was that people hated on him and now suddenly love him. Did I do that? No!!! :lol

:toast good research though.

TJastal
11-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Nice try, but the thing is; I wanted him to go then and I still want him to go.
My point was that people hated on him and now suddenly love him. Did I do that? No!!! :lol

:toast good research though.

Most of the "Bonner hate" was really people fed up with Popovich using him as a starter and the team going nowhere.

I defenitely wouldn't be against trading him if the right situation arose, but for now he is earning his paycheck and giving the team a big lift off the bench so it would have to be a really good player.

Mel_13
11-24-2009, 09:10 AM
Most of the "Bonner hate" was really people fed up with Popovich using him as a starter and the team going nowhere.

I defenitely wouldn't be against trading him if the right situation arose, but for now he is earning his paycheck and giving the team a big lift off the bench so it would have to be a really good player.

You've come full circle on Matt. Good to see.