PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs able to buck trend against Milwaukee

duncan228
11-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Spurs able to buck trend against Milwaukee (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_able_to_buck_trend_against_Milwaukee.html)
Jeff McDonald

With 2:42 left in the third quarter Monday, Tim Duncan followed up his own miss with a tip-in, pushing him to 20 points and, for the superstitious sort, ending all hope of a Spurs victory.

The Spurs, inexplicably, were 0-4 this season when Duncan hit the 20-point plateau.

Before the night was over, and the Spurs had pocketed a 112-98 victory over surprising Milwaukee, they discovered the antidote to the Duncan-scores-20 curse. His name is Matt Bonner.

Bonner's 23 points off the bench, including a 6-for-8 clinic from beyond the 3-point arc, were enough to lift the Duncan hex and boost the Spurs to their second-straight blowout victory at the AT&T Center.

“Matt wasEl Fuego tonight,” Roger Mason Jr. said. “It looked like every shot was going in.”

Bonner's night, with which he set a season-high and came within two points of his career best, was part of a Spurs bench that proved a potent complement to Duncan's 24-point, 12-rebound finish.

The Spurs' reserves totaled 59 points — George Hill added 14 and Mason had 11 — to outscore both the Bucks' bench and the Spurs' starters. With the victory, which came two nights after a 22-point shellacking of Washington, the Spurs (6-6) moved back to the .500 mark.

“It's hard to guard a team where everybody's contributing and everybody's scoring and everybody's dangerous,” Bonner said.

Bonner's sharpshooting opened up the floor for Duncan, and vice versa. Milwaukee started with a plan to front Duncan and discourage an entry pass.

“The problem was when they brought Bonner in,” Bucks coach Scott Skiles said. “We went to playing behind Tim at that point, because we were trying to stay with Bonner on the perimeter.

“We ended up not doing a very good job on either one.”

The Spurs outrebounded the league's best rebounding team 46-29, although the Bucks did play without injured 7-footer Andrew Bogut. They made life difficult on prolific Bucks rookie Brandon Jennings, limited to 12 points on 6-of-21 shooting by Hill and Tony Parker.

The Spurs' second unit was on the floor for much of a 28-13 run that gave them a 15-point lead with 8:53 left in the first half. The first unit re-entered the game and promptly gave it away.

The Spurs went the final 4:50 of the second quarter without a field goal. They went the final 3:40 without a point. Dan Gadzuric's tip with 20.6 seconds left gave the Bucks a 50-49 edge heading into intermission.

“We didn't finish the half well at all,” Mason said. “Our intensity wasn't there. Coming out the second half, we wanted to be the aggressor.”

What the Spurs did was aggressively give the ball to Duncan. He scored six points in the first two minutes of the second half, part of a 15-point third quarter, after which the Spurs had returned their lead to 86-74.

By that point, nobody but Skiles felt like asking Duncan to stop at 19.

Monday marked the first time the Spurs won a game when Duncan surpassed 20 points since last season's finale against New Orleans. He also topped 20 in three of the Spurs' four playoff losses to Dallas last April.

“I'll tell you what,” Mason said, “we'll win a lot more games when he scores 20.”

The same, of course, could be said for Bonner. The Spurs are 1-0 this season when he goes for at least 20.

After the game, Bonner reaped an unforeseen reward for his marksmanship. Duncan declined to conduct his postgame interview in his customary spot, just outside the hallway leading directly to Bonner's locker.

Instead, Duncan fielded questions from his own stall.

“He did something out there, so I'll keep my rear end out of his face,” Duncan said.

Bonner could get used to that.

“That's all it takes?” Bonner retorted. “I guess I'll have to try and score 20 more often.”

Slideshow.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/slideshows/Spurs_122_Bucks_98.html

honestfool84
11-24-2009, 01:52 AM
was it just me, or was this a poorly written article?

Spursmania
11-24-2009, 02:13 AM
Instead, Duncan fielded questions from his own stall.
“He did something out there, so I'll keep my rear end out of his face,” Duncan said.

Bonner could get used to that.
“That's all it takes?” Bonner retorted. “I guess I'll have to try and score 20 more often.”

:lmao:lmao

Strike
11-24-2009, 02:38 AM
I stopped reading after this...

Before the night was over, and the Spurs had pocketed a 112-98 victory over surprising Milwaukee, they discovered the antidote to the Duncan-scores-20 curse. His name is Matt Bonner.

raspsa
11-24-2009, 02:47 AM
was it just me, or was this a poorly written article?

It could have been more concise. Longer doesn't necessarily mean better when it comes to writing.

#2!
11-24-2009, 06:23 AM
:tu

This is the year the Spurs 'buck' the trend.

facepalm

:lol

It was foreseen.

Bukefal
11-24-2009, 06:32 AM
Timmy and Bonner on fire. Nicee

bigbendbruisebrother
11-24-2009, 08:29 AM
"The Spurs' second unit was on the floor for much of a 28-13 run that gave them a 15-point lead with 8:53 left in the first half. The first unit re-entered the game and promptly gave it away."

That's not exactly true. If I recall correctly, Pop went microscopically small, with a lineup of Parker, Hill, Mason, Blair and Duncan. The Bucks scored at will with that group on the floor.

ManuTastic
11-24-2009, 08:39 AM
LOL at Mason getting his "Espanol" on.

TJastal
11-24-2009, 08:46 AM
“He did something out there, so I'll keep my rear end out of his face,” Duncan said

Sounds like the normally easygoing Tim Duncan might have gotten fed up enough with Bonner to start ripping into him to play better.

And when you've pissed off Tim Duncan enough to actually say something to you, as Matt Bonner did, you better get your ass in gear. I'd say the results so far have been pretty good.

TJastal
11-24-2009, 08:47 AM
"The Spurs' second unit was on the floor for much of a 28-13 run that gave them a 15-point lead with 8:53 left in the first half. The first unit re-entered the game and promptly gave it away."

That's not exactly true. If I recall correctly, Pop went microscopically small, with a lineup of Parker, Hill, Mason, Blair and Duncan. The Bucks scored at will with that group on the floor.

Duncan and Blair don't seem to play well together. When Blair started those few games when Popovich was experimenting with starting lineups it was disasterous.

Mavs101
11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
When your second team can get out on the floor and go on a scoring run, you are definitely starting to turn the season. The Spurs will be fine and still end up a 50 win team. Playoffs are coming and the Mavs and Spurs will do it up like they always do.

LOL@MavsFan
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
When your second team can get out on the floor and go on a scoring run, you are definitely starting to turn the season. The Spurs will be fine and still end up a 50 win team. Playoffs are coming and the Mavs and Spurs will do it up like they always do.

Wow great 2nd post....
:flag:

EricB
11-24-2009, 09:32 AM
“He did something out there, so I'll keep my rear end out of his face,” Duncan said

Sounds like the normally easygoing Tim Duncan might have gotten fed up enough with Bonner to start ripping into him to play better.

And when you've pissed off Tim Duncan enough to actually say something to you, as Matt Bonner did, you better get your ass in gear. I'd say the results so far have been pretty good.

Way to be as usual completely 100% fucking wrong.

TJastal
11-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Way to be as usual completely 100% fucking wrong.

Then how am I wrong, oh great one?

boutons_deux
11-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Really bucking the trend would be to sweep the Bucks 26 Dec.

But Redd should be more ready, and Bogut should be back.

Dex
11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
It was foreseen.

:lol McDonald pulled a Mencia!