PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Bogans' defense provides spark in second half

duncan228
11-24-2009, 01:00 AM
Bogans' defense provides spark in second half (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bogans_defense_provides_spark_in_second_half.html)
Mike Monroe

Gregg Popovich was looking for someone to exercise defensive aggression at the outset of the third quarter after his team had given up 12 unanswered points to the Bucks in the final 31/2 minutes of the first half Monday.

The Spurs coach didn't have to wait long.

Eight seconds into the quarter, Spurs perimeter defensive ace Keith Bogans squeezed in front of Bucks guard Charlie Bell and swiped a dribble-handoff pass from point guard Brandon Jennings.

Little more than a minute later, Bogans reached around Bucks center Dan Gadzuric to bat aside an entry pass. He dived on the floor and tapped the loose ball to Tim Duncan, who passed ahead to Richard Jefferson for an uncontested layin.

Before the Bucks knew what hit them, the Spurs had re-established a comfortable lead they would not surrender.

“He's out there because of his aggressiveness and defensive abilities,” Popovich said of Bogans. “He really has a will to do that and try to disrupt, and I think the team reacts well to that.”

Bogans was just as angry as Popovich about the second-quarter lapse that allowed the Bucks to erase what had seemed a comfortable Spurs lead.

“I went out there to be aggressive,” he said, “because that's what I do. I was fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on a couple of balls early, and I think that helped get us started.”

Bogans, a free agent after the Bucks elected not to re-sign him in July, targeted the Spurs as a landing spot after Bruce Bowen was traded to Milwaukee. His new teammates are happy he did.

“He's been great for us the entire season,” Duncan said. “Just his energy and tenacity on the defensive end has led us. We need that from him, and he continues to impress me with what he's doing out there.”

Dueling 55s: Former Spur Kurt Thomas, now with the Bucks, has a singular distinction: He is the only player in the league who witnessed a 55-point game by a teammate last season and this season.

Thomas, who went to the Bucks in the three-team deal in June that brought Jefferson to the Spurs, watched on Nov. 14 as Bucks rookie Jennings matched the 55-point game Spurs point guard Tony Parker recorded last November in Minnesota, a game that ranked as the highest-scoring game of the 2008-09 season.

Jennings got his 55 in a victory over Golden State.

Which game was most impressive, Kurt?

“Tony got a lot of layups,” Thomas said. “This young fellow (Jennings) shot a lot of jump shots. He can really shoot the ball. We've been riding him all along, and we'll continue to ride him.”

mesothorny
11-24-2009, 01:16 AM
Bogans' defense provides spark in second half (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Bogans_defense_provides_spark_in_second_half.html)
Mike Monroe

Gregg Popovich was looking for someone to exercise defensive aggression at the outset of the third quarter after his team had given up 12 unanswered points to the Bucks in the final 31/2 minutes of the first half Monday.

The Spurs coach didn't have to wait long.

Eight seconds into the quarter, Spurs perimeter defensive ace Keith Bogans squeezed in front of Bucks guard Charlie Bell and swiped a dribble-handoff pass from point guard Brandon Jennings.

Little more than a minute later, Bogans reached around Bucks center Dan Gadzuric to bat aside an entry pass. He dived on the floor and tapped the loose ball to Tim Duncan, who passed ahead to Richard Jefferson for an uncontested layin.

Before the Bucks knew what hit them, the Spurs had re-established a comfortable lead they would not surrender.

“He's out there because of his aggressiveness and defensive abilities,” Popovich said of Bogans. “He really has a will to do that and try to disrupt, and I think the team reacts well to that.”

Bogans was just as angry as Popovich about the second-quarter lapse that allowed the Bucks to erase what had seemed a comfortable Spurs lead.

“I went out there to be aggressive,” he said, “because that's what I do. I was fortunate enough to be able to get my hands on a couple of balls early, and I think that helped get us started.”

Bogans, a free agent after the Bucks elected not to re-sign him in July, targeted the Spurs as a landing spot after Bruce Bowen was traded to Milwaukee. His new teammates are happy he did.

“He's been great for us the entire season,” Duncan said. “Just his energy and tenacity on the defensive end has led us. We need that from him, and he continues to impress me with what he's doing out there.”

Dueling 55s: Former Spur Kurt Thomas, now with the Bucks, has a singular distinction: He is the only player in the league who witnessed a 55-point game by a teammate last season and this season.

Thomas, who went to the Bucks in the three-team deal in June that brought Jefferson to the Spurs, watched on Nov. 14 as Bucks rookie Jennings matched the 55-point game Spurs point guard Tony Parker recorded last November in Minnesota, a game that ranked as the highest-scoring game of the 2008-09 season.

Jennings got his 55 in a victory over Golden State.

Which game was most impressive, Kurt?

“Tony got a lot of layups,” Thomas said. “This young fellow (Jennings) shot a lot of jump shots. He can really shoot the ball. We've been riding him all along, and we'll continue to ride him.”

Gotta love the Bogans reach-around!

Danny.Zhu
11-24-2009, 03:22 AM
Let's see how he matches up with Kobe.

will_spurs
11-24-2009, 03:38 AM

That, or you could change your handle to "Broken Record".

alchemist
11-24-2009, 04:23 AM
Let's see how Kobe matches up with Bogans
:toast

SA210
11-24-2009, 08:50 AM

EricB
11-24-2009, 09:57 AM
:lol

Spurstalk

where the fans are never happy and love to be miserable.

dbestpro
11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
B-b-b-but, we need to cut Bogans so Hairston can play more.

MaNu4Tres
11-24-2009, 11:36 AM

Yes let's hold our judgement until he faces the best one on one player in the last 20 years outside of Jordan.

Some fans are amusing.

NFGIII
11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
Great game from Keith. He really set the tone in the 3rd Q for the Spurs. Right now I like Bogans being in the starting lineup. He is playing a similar role to what Bruce did. He will never be Bruce but can help in a similar fashion by playing intensive/agressive D and just being a pest out on the floor. So far he has shown that he can hit some shots which is a plus. I really didn't know much about Bogans prior ot him coming to the Spurs but so far I like what I see. Hopefully he can keep it up.

:flag:

rjv
11-24-2009, 11:42 AM
hill should get some props as well. he shut down jennings for much of the game.

Bender
11-24-2009, 11:49 AM
I really didn't know much about Bogans prior ot him coming to the Spurs but so far I like what I see.
me neither, I didn't know who the heck he was when I heard we got him.

TIMMYD!
11-24-2009, 12:21 PM
Bogans will never be as good as a defender as a Bruce but he has shown the capability to stay with his man and play aggressive on the ball defense. He can also shoot threes like Bruce and can get to the basket better.

SamoanTD
11-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I'm the BOOGEY MAN I'm the BOOGEY MAN turn me on!!

SamoanTD
11-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Bogans will never be as good as a defender as a Bruce but he has shown the capability to stay with his man and play aggressive on the ball defense. He can also shoot threes like Bruce and can get to the basket better.
pretty much I dont think we gonna have another player who annoyed people like bruce. Bogans is still nice to have though I just wanna see him play that D where it counts and on the BIG name players

dbestpro
11-24-2009, 12:49 PM
pretty much I dont think we gonna have another player who annoyed people like bruce. Bogans is still nice to have though I just wanna see him play that D where it counts and on the BIG name players

You can never have too many rashes on defense.

YoMamaIsCallin
11-24-2009, 01:25 PM
Speaking of Kurt Thomas, did you notice that Tony was talking and joking with him a bunch, both before and during the game? That was nice to see.

Flux451
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
HOw can you not love his tenacity and fearless approach

HarlemHeat37
11-24-2009, 01:26 PM
B-b-b-but, we need to cut Bogans so Hairston can play more.

This actually strengthens the argument for Hairston IMO..

Bogans' success shows how much it helps to have energy guys that play good defense..his play is contagious to everybody..I'd rather have 2 defensive guys in the rotation(Bogans, Hairston), as opposed to 2 offensive guys(Finley, Mason)..

Flux451
11-24-2009, 02:22 PM

Bogans' success shows how much it helps to have energy guys that play good defense..his play is contagious to everybody..I'd rather have 2 defensive guys in the rotation(Bogans, Hairston), as opposed to 2 offensive guys(Finley, Mason)..

Hairston is not as proven defensively as Bogans, he still has a lot to learn, ie defensive rotations. His energy overall is excellent though. I think Fin and Mase in the line up right now is looking good. Fin has actually stepped up his defense and energy (probably because of lack PT/fighting for PT). Same for Mase, his d is still in the works but improved from last year. He is working relentlessly to stay with his man and alter shots.

Hairston will have his time. I am happy he is getting little PT, better then IR. When FIn has a slump then Hairston will step in IMO.

dbestpro
11-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Hairston to the D-league.

JR3
11-24-2009, 03:55 PM

I agree with this 100%. Finley's poor defense far outweighs what he brings on offense.. he can't even take it to the rim anymore. If he is cold shooting the ball, then he is completely worthless... if bogans is cold.. he can at least stop someone.

pjjrfan
11-24-2009, 07:05 PM
Great game from Keith. He really set the tone in the 3rd Q for the Spurs. Right now I like Bogans being in the starting lineup. He is playing a similar role to what Bruce did. He will never be Bruce but can help in a similar fashion by playing intensive/agressive D and just being a pest out on the floor. So far he has shown that he can hit some shots which is a plus. I really didn't know much about Bogans prior ot him coming to the Spurs but so far I like what I see. Hopefully he can keep it up.

:flag:
He comes out fired up and gets after it, offensively he seems to have a little more game than Bruce and on defense he is just tenacious. I don't think he will ever match Bowen's footwork on D, but he is pesky and seems to be able to get steals more easily than Bruce. I like him, I wasn't too crazy from I what I saw in preseason, but he is easily along with Hill the best defender on the Spurs.

quentin_compson
11-24-2009, 08:56 PM
We shouldn't expect Bogans to be the defender Bruce was - Bowen was probably the best perimeter defender in this league for years. However, Bogans definitely is out for blood once he enters the floor, and he has the weapons and the skills to be a very important piece of the team we want to be defensively.

At first, I was disappointed he couldn't knock down his open threes against the Bucks. But well, him driving to the basket a couple of times was great and he can finish at the rim as well. Right now, this guy should be starting/getting starter minutes.

SenorSpur
11-24-2009, 09:34 PM

Amen. Couldn't agree more.

It's funny (strange) because I'm sure that Pop would agree with that notion, yet his love and loyalty to Finley causes him to make decisions that contradict that strategy.