PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: West Playoff Forecast: Thunder In, Spurs Out

spursncowboys
11-24-2009, 09:22 AM
1. West Playoff Forecast: Thunder In, Spurs Out
By Tim Legler
ESPN.com
Four weeks of action in the 2009-10 NBA season have given us a good outline of how this season might play out. In fact, I've changed my projection of how I initially saw the field of playoff teams in the West.
The Dallas Mavericks in particular have moved up. This is a team playing with a lot of energy, getting guys to buy into roles. Notably, Jason Kidd has transformed himself into a consistent 3-point shooter, something you couldn't say about him in his last year in New Jersey. That shooting has helped open up the offense and spread the floor.
On the downside, the San Antonio Spurs have looked so disinterested, they actually moved out of the playoffs. I thought the additions of Richard Jefferson and DeJuan Blair would give them some energy, along with Manu Ginobili being healthy (he's not). But the Spurs, who moved back to .500 with a win Monday over Milwaukee, have not played with a whole lot of passion. Still, we've learned not to write the final book on them until spring.
Come April, here's how I see the Western Conference playoff seeds playing out 1 to 8:
1. Los Angeles Lakers -- When Andrew Bynum is playing this well, this Lakers team is scary. Complacency is the only thing that keeps them from challenging 65-70 wins. Clearly the best in the West.
2. Dallas Mavericks -- They've been a nice surprise when this could have been a team headed in the opposite direction. They've played good defense. Dirk Nowitzki has been one of the 2 or 3 best fourth-quarter players this year. The Mavs have done a good job spreading around the job of helping him carry the scoring load, sometimes Jason Terry, Shawn Marion, J.J. Barea, Kidd and others. This team is playing with a lot more energy than it did a year ago.
3. Phoenix Suns -- Good to see the Suns back to being themselves. I understand that you need to be able to compete when the game slows down in playoff basketball -- but that doesn't matter if you don't make the playoffs in the first place.
So the Suns are back to letting Steve Nash make great decisions and pick an opponent apart better than anybody. The team has had some unexpected contributions from Channing Frye, solid play from Grant Hill while Jason Richardson has just been great.
They finally got back to who they were: Nash and Amare Stoudemire in the middle of the floor, running the pick-and-roll, surrounded by 3-point shooters outside.
4. Denver Nuggets -- Carmelo Anthony is in the best shape of his life, and looks to be more committed to winning than at any point in his career. He's taken on a leadership role. It's much easier to to get role players to follow when the best player sets the tone.
5. Portland Trail Blazers -- An improving team whose key will be continuing to get consistent play from Greg Oden, who had a big night Monday in the win over Chicago. He needs to be a guy who finishes around the rim (he's shooting an NBA-best 64 percent from the field) and is a deterrent at the other end. He's off to a good start.
6. Houston Rockets -- If you looked up the word "team" in the dictionary, you would find the Rockets. They take off fewer plays than anybody else in the league. They have very few blown assignments. On offense, it's going to be a struggle to score. Coach Rick Adelman keeps his fingers crossed that somebody will get hot.
Trevor Ariza has more than lived up to what was expected (18.3 points, 5.4 rebounds and 3.4 assists) to earn his money. With Tracy McGrady's injury history, if I'm Adelman I coach the team like T-Mac's is not going to be there.
7. Utah Jazz -- The Jazz are playing their best ball of the season now. However, until they learn to win on the road in a good team's arena, we can't take them seriously as a contending team, even with the talent they have. You must win on the road.
8. Oklahoma City Thunder -- Their day is coming. Russell Westbrook was my preseason pick to be a breakout player. Kevin Durant will be a scoring champ one day. James Harden has come in and done a good job as a rookie in the sixth-man role.
This team looks like they're having lots of fun playing together. They have the parts to become the next formidable team to rise in the West, whether it's this season or next.

spursncowboys
11-24-2009, 09:25 AM
I knew when Legler was giving us praise that one of these stories would happen. The duche bag jumps ship the very second he's able. Spurs won't be in the playoffs? There is no way that could happen. Even if the Spurs played the same way they played last week, they would still make playoffs. The west isn't that deep.

LOL@MavsFan
11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Yes after 11 games the Spurs are out...it would matter if this was the NFL not the NBA...nothing to read here.

Muser
11-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Wow

LakeShow
11-24-2009, 11:15 AM
Wow

+1

That's surpising coming from Legler, he loves the spurs.

pawe
11-24-2009, 11:21 AM
Trying to stir the pot. No big deal.

pauls931
11-24-2009, 11:24 AM
It comes down to the big 3 being healthy together long enough to get back in sync and establish a playoff berth. The few games I've watched, they struggle against inferior teams (unless bonner has a career night) due to their core players being hurt. It comes down to health.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Legs, you could see the steam rising outta that man when Kobe rang/sans Daddy. Yikes!

Now this spiteful cast down of his second fav team (Suns are first).

Stings, don't it?

TheMACHINE
11-24-2009, 11:29 AM
i see a first round matchup between the Spurs and LA!

LakeShow
11-24-2009, 11:32 AM
i see a first round matchup between the Spurs and LA!

:sleep

I'm tired of the Lakers beating up on the Spurs. Let's beat up on another team for a change.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 11:34 AM
[3. Phoenix Suns -- Good to see the Suns back to being themselves. I understand that you need to be able to compete when the game slows down in playoff basketball -- but that doesn't matter if you don't make the playoffs in the first place.
So the Suns are back to letting Steve Nash make great decisions and pick an opponent apart better than anybody.]

Just ignore the black dude hangin' from the majestic cactus over ta the side there (Nashy strung him that way). But, don't ignore sendin' the checks for the next two years. tee, hee.

Leetonidas
11-24-2009, 11:42 AM
This moron picked up to win the title in the offseason and now we're not going to even make the playoffs? Seriously, how fucking braindead do you have to be to work on ESPN?

pauls931
11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
This moron picked up to win the title in the offseason and now we're not going to even make the playoffs? Seriously, how fucking braindead do you have to be to work on ESPN?

You either need to be braindead and/or have huge tits.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 11:46 AM
lol!!!!!!! First Bowen gives the Spurs Fandom a red ass, now Legs doin' likewise.

Hey, yer .500 again though. Glory B!

The Gemini Method
11-24-2009, 12:16 PM
I'd hope for the Thunder as a first round opponent since, well, we're 2-0 against them already.

I don't think the Spurs are going to miss the playoffs--they're too experienced to let that happen (barring any major injury to Duncan...), but I have a hard time fathoming the Suns/Mavs grabbing a higher seed than Denver...

LakeShow
11-24-2009, 12:17 PM
I'd love to get the Suns or Portland this year.

I would too. Also the Mavs. They've been ducking the Lakers for a long time. Suns in the first, Portland in the Second and the Mavs for the WCF.

Scratch that, we have to put Denver in there somewhere.

The Gemini Method
11-24-2009, 12:20 PM
I don't see the Suns getting the 8th seed...they're more likely going to end in the 3rd to 6th seed...

1st round: Thunder
2nd round: Spurs
3rd round: Dallas/Denver

That would be fun...

LakeShow
11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
Look for Denver to be upset early this year. They cant beat us anyways.

That's true. I just like to beat them down anyway. Kind of how I use to feel about the Spurs when they were relevant. It's pointless now.

Thunder Dynasty
11-24-2009, 12:26 PM
No big deal here, Thunder just beating out teams for the 8 seed they're supposed to beat out.

endrity
11-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Spurs will be there, it's wayyyyy to early to start making any predictions like this. Well except that the Lakers will be the first seed and still largely favoured to go to the Finals.

I would love to say that the Mavs can beat them, but I can't. The only way that happens is if Beaubois really develops into a solid player by the playoffs, and is able to exploit the glaring weakness in Lakers' D, defending fast PGs, otherwise known as Fisher being way over the hill.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 01:28 PM
otherwise known as Fisher being way over the hill.

Outta that TO in Florida he didn't look over the hill. Phil called his number...Kobe rifled it...Fisher used the crown of Nelson's head to sight it, and then his cold, cold blood to drill it.

endrity
11-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Go have a chat with Aaron Brooks regarding Fisher's defense these days.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 01:33 PM
Go have a chat with Aaron Brooks regarding Fisher's defense these days.

So what? Brooks blew him up. What, you want Fisher to quit, give it up, turn inward? Uh, uh.

Xylus
11-24-2009, 01:35 PM
Counting the Spurs out of the playoffs is the most ridiculous thing Legler could have done with this list. Including the Clippers in the Top 8 would have been less ridiculous. Here are my current projected 8:

1. Lakers
2. Mavs
3. Nuggets
4. Suns
5. Blazers
6. Spurs
7. Rockets
8. Jazz

I don't think the Thunder are quite there yet. They'll nab the 9th seed, only a few games behind the Jazz.

Findog
11-24-2009, 01:36 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ObaOwPc8RQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_ObaOwPc8RQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Findog
11-24-2009, 01:40 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/liFmMcmigsQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/liFmMcmigsQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 01:41 PM
Give us a My Three Sons intro, Fin!

Findog
11-24-2009, 01:44 PM
Give us a My Three Sons intro, Fin!

Will you settle for Simon and Simon?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDhz_mVcVCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDhz_mVcVCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Whatever happened to the blonde Simon?

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 01:46 PM
http://picturehosting.com/images/Alan888/turkey.jpg

LOL@MavsFan
11-24-2009, 02:51 PM
It comes down to the big 3 being healthy together long enough to get back in sync and WIN A RING. The few games I've watched, they struggle against inferior teams (unless bonner has a career night) due to their core players being hurt. It comes down to health.

Fixed

LOL@MavsFan
11-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Will you settle for Simon and Simon?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDhz_mVcVCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IDhz_mVcVCQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Whatever happened to the blonde Simon?

LOL @ Mark Aguirre

pauls931
11-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Fixed

Sorry, no one in the west can touch LA period

LOL@MavsFan
11-24-2009, 02:58 PM
Sorry, no one in the west can touch LA period

You watch too much ESPN...you are talking about right now, not months down the road. I agree with you right now, but if any team can take them down it will be the Spurs otherwise you are correct. As far as you saying the Spurs won't make the playoffs w/o all 3 of the stars healthy is just plain dumb. They won 55 games and the SW division w/o Manu, half a yr of TD and an overworked Parker with a bunch of old players. Now they have younger, better players that are trying to figure each other out. Spurs will get in the playoffs w/o all the big 3, but will lose in the first or second round if they aren't healthy.

ginobili's bald spot
11-24-2009, 03:28 PM
You watch too much ESPN...you are talking about right now, not months down the road. I agree with you right now, but if any team can take them down it will be the Spurs otherwise you are correct.

What indication has there been that the Spurs can beat the Lakers in a playoff series whether healthy or not?

Goran Dragic
11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
What indication has there been that the Spurs can beat the Lakers in a playoff series whether healthy or not?

CIA Pop

j.dizzle
11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
CIA Pop

:lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-24-2009, 03:41 PM
Look for Denver to be upset early this year. They cant beat us anyways.

Funny you say that. I am looking for the Lakers to be upset in the first round. :toast

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/beat_the_lakers_shirt-p235110878695030711trlf_400.jpg

The shirt worked last time the Nugget saw the Lakers, but failed against the Clippers :lmao

Chillen
11-24-2009, 03:46 PM
The Spurs have 3 more losses than the Lakers right now and they are already out of the playoff hunt, talk about premature remarks. The Spurs have enough talent and experience to make the playoffs despite some recent health issues.

mavs>spurs2
11-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Denver is for real..they're the early favorite. If all those hotheads can click and come together at the right time then they're deadly

pauls931
11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
Denver is for real..they're the early favorite. If all those hotheads can click and come together at the right time then they're deadly

They're hard to figure out. Kick ass in the regular seasons, and early playoffs, then when faced with an experienced opponent, come apart at the seams.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 04:56 PM

A gigantic raspberry goes right here.

FkLA
11-24-2009, 05:53 PM
I can understand yall making a joke about it I would too if say the Mavs or LA were left off, but lets be honest this is beyond ridickulous. Any little credibility Legler had is gone especially when less than a month ago he picked them to win the title. If the Spurs do end up winning the title (a big if at this moment) this mfker better not point back to his offseason pick and try to take any credit.

SamoanTD
11-24-2009, 06:08 PM
I like how everyone says the spurs are irrelevant I like flying under the radar we will talk in the playoffs. DAMN CAN WAIT FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!

21_Blessings
11-24-2009, 06:37 PM
I like how everyone says the spurs are irrelevant I like flying under the radar we will talk in the playoffs. DAMN CAN WAIT FOR THE PLAYOFFS!!!!!!!

First round exit fodder is generally seen as irrelevant. So I don't see why you're surprised by this.

Anyways, the most read sports blogger on the internet, Bill Simmons, picked your sorry-ass team to beat the Lakers. So it's not like the Spurs are "flying under the radar". :lol

BullsDynasty
11-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Legler doesn't realize that Tony and Manu won't be injured for the whole season...

JJ Hickson
11-24-2009, 06:56 PM
Legler doesn't realize that Tony and Manu won't be injured for the whole season...

You're right. They'll come back before they get hurt again.

An Unbiased Fan
11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
You're right. They'll come back before they get hurt again.
http://4gifs.com/gallery/d/129150-1/Tom_Cruise_crazy_laugh.gif

mystargtr34
11-24-2009, 08:28 PM
Didnt he pick the Spurs to beat Boston in the Finals this season, about 3 weeks ago?

Cleveland Steamer
11-24-2009, 08:50 PM
i'm suprised it took Legler this long to realize the Spurs aren't going to make the playoffs.

mystargtr34
11-24-2009, 09:06 PM
That was before he saw how shitty your team is, and how old the C's look.

So since were into making early conclusions....

Denver>>>Lakers.

Mel_13
11-24-2009, 11:21 PM
The Dallas Mavericks in particular have moved up. This is a team playing with a lot of energy

Apparently not enough energy to beat a 6 man team.

SamoanTD
11-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Apparently not enough energy to beat a 6 man team.
right between the eyes lol