PDA

View Full Version : Portland 122, Chicago 98: Everything falls into place for Blazers

tlongII
11-24-2009, 10:12 AM
http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/11/portland_122_chicago_98_everyt.html

For a night, at least, order was restored within the Trail Blazers.

Brandon Roy was back at shooting guard and controlling the pace and precision of the offense. Andre Miller, steadfastly saying he is accepting the reins of the second unit, played perhaps as hard and determined as he has all season. And the inside combination of Greg Oden and LaMarcus Aldridge was dominant like never before.

The Blazers didn't just beat Chicago on Monday, they overpowered them -- dunking over, cutting through and stepping all over the Bulls during a 122-98 victory in front of 20,383 at the Rose Garden, its 79th consecutive sellout.

"A number of things are just starting to come together," said Roy, who had 18 points and seven assists despite sitting the final eight minutes. "I think guys are back in their natural positions and we sensed that we have to get this going, too."

Oden tied his career high with 24 points to go along with 12 rebounds, and Aldridge recorded his fifth double double of the season, finishing with 24 points and 13 rebounds. While the Blazers' big men helped create a 50-32 advantage in points in the paint, the perimeter duo of Roy and Miller (16 points, five assists) not only flourished in separate units, they also thrived when they played together.

Roy and Miller played a combined 19:30 together, during which the Blazers outscored Chicago 58-39.

"That's great," Roy said. "I'm good with it. I hear everybody is getting mad at me now over this whole Andre thing. I don't know why. ... I never did anything. I've never wanted anything but what's good for the team. It makes me a little sad. But I'm cool."

The story Monday was the inside dominance, however. The Blazers (11-5) force-fed the ball to Oden and Aldridge, who went to work against Joakim Noah and rookie Taj Gibson.

Oden scored six of the Blazers' first eight points and Aldridge had 17 points and nine rebounds by halftime.

"Efficient," Aldridge said in describing the Blazers' fifth consecutive home win. "I think we found something with the inside game, so we just milked it."

Meanwhile, Noah -- the NBA's leading rebounder at 12.3 per game before Monday -- grabbed eight and became so frustrated in trying to fend off Oden's relentless forays to the boards that he slammed the ball into the standard after being whistled for a foul against Oden. His tantrum drew a technical.

Oden said it was Miller who planted a seed in his mind to attack.

"He's a big breath of fresh air for me," Oden said. "When he comes into the game, he's like, 'G.O., we are going to run a play for you so you can try to get the other big man in foul trouble.' That definitely puts a big smile on my face. I turned my head and had a big smile."

It was Oden's third career game of at least 20 points and 10 rebounds, and the first of the season. Last season, he had 24 points and 15 rebounds against Milwaukee and 22 points and 10 rebounds against Golden State.

"I thought he was great," coach Nate McMillan said.

It was probably the best performance of the season for the Blazers, who moved into first place in the Northwest Division after recording season highs in points and field-goal percentage (57.5 percent). At times, the Blazers were unstoppable, including a first-quarter stretch when they scored on eight consecutive possessions. The final six of those scoring possessions were with Miller and Roy on the court.

"It was a good rhythm for everybody, I think," Miller said.

Miller said he intends to make his shift to the second unit work, and if his effort and play Monday were any indication, the Blazers will be a tough team to defend. Miller played 27 minutes and made 3 of 6 shots, 10 of 11 free throws and pinpointed five assists, three of which were lobs or zip passes that resulted in layups.

"Individually, I'm going to be fine," Miller said. "I'm not going to get caught up in all the rest of this stuff. Everybody everywhere has to adjust to something, so I will be fine."

Notes: Rudy Fernandez was sensational in 19 minutes of play, hitting three three-pointers and finishing with 13 points, three assists and three rebounds. ... Rookie Dante Cunningham played 14 minutes, apparently bypassing veteran Juwan Howard as the backup power forward. Cunningham had four points, three rebounds and one block. ... Luol Deng led Chicago with 25 points. The Bulls lost their third in a row.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 11:44 AM
A lot of bottom feeding this NBA season. Oh, my.

You got 30 teams chasing legit NBA talent that will adequately stock maybe half of the 30.

The Gemini Method
11-24-2009, 11:56 AM
Oh, another thread with the proclamation that the Blazers again have everything falling into place. That is, until they meet a legit team and get violated and well, these threads cease to exist.

tlongII
11-24-2009, 12:43 PM
January 8th.

Culburn369
11-24-2009, 12:48 PM
Where's it at, t?