PDA

View Full Version : Spec's Wine & Spirits

JudynTX
11-24-2009, 03:22 PM
Has anyone been to this new beer/wine store yet? :wakeup It's in the Forum. From what I hear, it's suppose to be huge.

Bender
11-24-2009, 03:24 PM
I live near the Forum, and go there a lot. Haven't noticed it yet... which end is it at?

mookie2001
11-24-2009, 03:25 PM
yeah

even victoria has one

nothing special, a shitload of the hard stuff at prices $1 less than the competition

SpursWoman
I see it all the time and it's usually pretty crowded ... keep meaning to check it out but haven't yet.

It's where the new Circuit City was for about 2 months. :fro

JudynTX
I think it's where the Circuit City used to be.

Bender
11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
oh, that's across 35 from the Forum...

phyzik
11-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Yes.... this place is Gigantic.

Bender
11-24-2009, 03:31 PM
so... a Circuit City full of liquor? geez!

katyon6th
11-24-2009, 03:32 PM
That place is quite overwhelming, I must say. Good selection of wine, although not worth the drive for me.

JudynTX
11-24-2009, 03:33 PM
so... a Circuit City full of liquor? geez!

:lol That's what I'm saying!

Bender
11-24-2009, 03:35 PM
If I had any money now, I'd go there tonight and check it out, and give a review on ST... but I'm broke...

(need to shop at Dollar Stores more I guess)

easjer
11-24-2009, 03:42 PM
Spec's is awesome. I'm glad they are branching out into SA. They are originally here in Houston and the original store is now 2 city blocks big. For real. They sell every beer you can legally buy in Texas, huge wine selection and I've always enjoyed their liquor section.

I heart Spec's. 5% off when you pay in cash. And the deli food is great.

ATRAIN
11-24-2009, 03:44 PM
Spec's is awesome. I'm glad they are branching out into SA. They are originally here in Houston and the original store is now 2 city blocks big. For real. They sell every beer you can legally buy in Texas, huge wine selection and I've always enjoyed their liquor section.

Yeah the Specs in midtown is pretty bad ass.

easjer
11-24-2009, 03:45 PM
We usually go to one off Westheimer, but it's worth a special trip now and again. There is a teeny one near our house (corner of Gessner and 59) but we've never been in there. Don't know why.

JudynTX
11-24-2009, 03:51 PM
That's it. I'm going this weekend to find this place. :lol

leemajors
11-24-2009, 03:59 PM

The Grand Cru sandwich is amazing. They don't quite have every beer, it's close. The staff usually sucks for recommendations though. They also have great walk-in unadvertised deals too.

SpursWoman
11-24-2009, 04:04 PM
I didn't realize they had a deli in there ... interesting. :)

Dex
11-24-2009, 04:11 PM
I imagine Spec's is what an alcoholic envisions when he thinks of heaven.

leemajors
11-24-2009, 04:15 PM
I imagine Spec's is what an alcoholic envisions when he thinks of heaven.

There is a Gabriel's/Spec's out let in San Marcos, that's probably it.

Bender
11-24-2009, 04:20 PM
but how is the beer...? not the selection, but the actual care and storage. I've been several places in town, and when I try an obscure import beer, it tastes skunky or whatever. Like it is super old, or it was stored cold, then hot, then cold again, or whatever...

easjer
11-24-2009, 04:22 PM
The Grand Cru sandwich is amazing. They don't quite have every beer, it's close. The staff usually sucks for recommendations though. They also have great walk-in unadvertised deals too.

They do at the flagship store (the one on Smith street in downtown Houston); but the 'family' locations are hit and miss.

The tiny one near our house couldn't possibly, but the bigger one we frequent has a huge selection.

The deli depends on location, SW - I don't know if the SA location has one or not, but try it out if they do. They just added one recently to the one we visit (which makes it sound like we go often - we don't. I can't drink with the meds I'm on right now, more's the pity, but I have long enjoyed Spec's).

easjer
11-24-2009, 04:23 PM
but how is the beer...? not the selection, but the actual care and storage. I've been several places in town, and when I try an obscure import beer, it tastes skunky or whatever. Like it is super old, or it was stored cold, then hot, then cold again, or whatever...

I've never had any issues from the Houston locations I've visited, but I would guess it varies by location. The imports I recall were great (but it's been several months since I was either not on meds or not pregnant, so it's been awhile).

leemajors
11-24-2009, 04:41 PM

Just avoid clear or green bottles and you should be ok - they don't block UV light near as good as brown bottles. . If what you like does come in those bottles, avoid 6 packs where the bottle doesn't reach up on the neck - more exposure to UV light just ruins beer and the fluorescent lights can make it worse. Cold/hot usually doesn't matter too much, unless they are wildly varying extremes.

SequSpur
11-24-2009, 06:27 PM
umm..how much is the crown there?

baseline bum
11-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Great store. They had six packs of Deschutes Black Butte Porter on sale for $5.99 the other day, so I had to pick up a couple. I also love the cash discount (they also give it for check and debit). On average their six packs seem to be about 70 cents or so cheaper than their competition, and the selection is outstanding.

They carry almost all of my favorites too: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Celebration Ale, Stout, and Porter. Stone IPA, Ruination IPA, Smoked Porter, and two types of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Pilsner Urquell, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Dogfish 90 minute IPA, and lots of stuff from breweries that I've been wanting to try like Deschutes and Brooklyn Brewery. About the only stuff I really love that I didn't see were Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale (I think it's seasonal) and Rogue Shakespeare Stout (not sure why they didn't order this one).

leemajors
11-24-2009, 07:11 PM
Great store. They had six packs of Deschutes Black Butte Porter on sale for $5.99 the other day, so I had to pick up a couple. I also love the cash discount (they also give it for check and debit). On average their six packs seem to be about 70 cents or so cheaper than their competition, and the selection is outstanding.

They carry almost all of my favorites too: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Celebration Ale, Stout, and Porter. Stone IPA, Ruination IPA, Smoked Porter, and two types of Arrogant Bastard Ale. Pilsner Urquell, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Dogfish 90 minute IPA, and lots of stuff from breweries that I've been wanting to try like Deschutes and Brooklyn Brewery. About the only stuff I really love that I didn't see were Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale (I think it's seasonal) and Rogue Shakespeare Stout (not sure why they didn't order this one).

I had a Double Bastard two weeks ago at the Flying Saucer in Austin in this glass:

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/2/407//db_glass.jpg

Nectar.

Sii
11-24-2009, 07:23 PM
That's it. I'm going this weekend to find this place. :lol

I went today an liked it a lot. The beer selection was good. about the same size selection as central market (which is a lot) but they seemed to have some things they didnt

the liquor selection was huge. a lot of wine too but I didnt look at that much

the prices seemed pretty good. maybe it doesnt just blow Dons and Bens out of the water $ wise, but it seemed a bit cheaper...and the selection was certainly better

I mean its a circuit city size store full of booze. whats not to like?

spent about 30 bucks

They do have some food items too..snacks...cheeses...meats...etc...plus bar accessories...gift items for drinkers...etc

not as much as the one in Austin I went too that has a whole food section with sandwiches...etc

baseline bum
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM

First mistake. American beer is incredible.

leemajors
11-24-2009, 08:19 PM

Brooklyn Local 2 is good, so is their chocolate stout.

Sii
11-24-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah the cash discount is nice. (used debit) good feature

Bender
11-24-2009, 09:14 PM
American beer is incredible.

I know there are lots of good american beers. I started drinking import stuff back in the 80s when I was in my 20s. Everyone else was drinking corona, bud light, miller light, blah blah. I wanted to be different.

Arrogant Bastard Alenow that's a good name for a beer.

Pilsner Urquellyum, haven't had one of those in years.

baseline bum
11-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Arrogant Bastard Ale
now that's a good name for a beer.

As good as the name is, the beer is 10x better. :toast

baseline bum
11-24-2009, 09:23 PM
Brooklyn Local 2 is good, so is their chocolate stout.

How does it compare to Rogue's in your opinion? They had that one (Brooklyn) for $5.99 a six-pack too, but I was intent on trying Deschutes first.

baseline bum
11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I had a Double Bastard two weeks ago at the Flying Saucer in Austin in this glass:

http://images.nitrosell.com/product_images/2/407//db_glass.jpg

Nectar.

Can you even find that stuff in bottles? I have only seen Arrogant Bastard in 22s, and oaked Arrogant Bastard in six-packs. I have never seen the double bastard in stores though. :(

Bender
11-24-2009, 09:40 PM
can you break six-packs at spec's, or not?

edit: or do they sell singles

baseline bum
11-24-2009, 09:51 PM

They have a good selection of 12oz and 22oz bottles, though it's not close to their selection of six-packs. They have Arrogant Bastard in 22oz though. Ruination IPA too.

leemajors
11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Can you even find that stuff in bottles? I have only seen Arrogant Bastard in 22s, and oaked Arrogant Bastard in six-packs. I have never seen the double bastard in stores though. :(

Not around here. Possibly locally in Cali

Sense
11-25-2009, 01:28 AM

We have it in Beaumont too... I can't believe they weren't in SA yet...

I always go there to buy my beer and always pay cash :)...

Besides the beer... I didn't know they made that much wine... there's aisles of the thing...

Best place to buy beer/wine/liquor imho

Sense
11-25-2009, 01:31 AM

hmm they do sell singles...

but I think they're mostly the rare/expensive beers.

I've just seen the "family or seasonal" 6 packs.

then again that's here in Beaumont

leemajors
11-25-2009, 08:53 AM
How does it compare to Rogue's in your opinion? They had that one (Brooklyn) for $5.99 a six-pack too, but I was intent on trying Deschutes first.

It's different, but good. I wouldn't be able to drink a whole 6 of it though, it's pretty thick.

JudynTX
11-25-2009, 09:27 AM
I went today an liked it a lot. The beer selection was good. about the same size selection as central market (which is a lot) but they seemed to have some things they didnt

the liquor selection was huge. a lot of wine too but I didnt look at that much

the prices seemed pretty good. maybe it doesnt just blow Dons and Bens out of the water $ wise, but it seemed a bit cheaper...and the selection was certainly better

I mean its a circuit city size store full of booze. whats not to like?

spent about 30 bucks

They do have some food items too..snacks...cheeses...meats...etc...plus bar accessories...gift items for drinkers...etc

not as much as the one in Austin I went too that has a whole food section with sandwiches...etc

Oh! So that's where you went to buy my birthday gift. Nice. :D