PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: We talkin' 'bout practice

duncan228
11-24-2009, 06:02 PM
We talkin' 'bout practice (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/11/we-talkin-bout.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

Notes and quotes from this afternoon's Spurs practice, the first they've conducted in approximately 27 months ...

* Manu Ginobili (strained left groin) remains out for Wednesday's game against Golden State. He was on the court shooting before practice today, and spent a bit of time on the exercise bike. It remains to be seen if Ginobili will meet the original 7-to-10-day prognosis. That would put him back at least by Sunday's game against Philadelphia.

* The Spurs remain impressed with the play of their reserves. Their bench ranks second in the NBA in scoring (43 ppg) and first in rebounding (19.33 per game) and assists (9.54). What's more, the Spurs' reserves haven't missed a beat since Ginobili was incapacitated.

"No one can completely make up for what Manu brings to the team," said Matt Bonner, who pulled his weight with 23 points against Milwaukee. "At the same time, we all have to step it up and fill in the gaps."

* Line of the day came from Bonner, whose 23-point night earned him a spot on ESPN's "King Of The Night" ballot: "I'll go back to being a jester tomorrow."

* Tecnically, the Warriors lead the NBA in bench scoring (44.9 ppg) -- but not with the roster they'll bring to San Antonio. Beseiged by injuries -- the Warriors could have as many as six players out Wednesday -- Golden State is likely to suit up the minimum eight players. The Warriors are even down a coach, with Don Nelson remaining behind in the Bay Area with pneumonia.

Making matters worse, the eight upright Warriors will be playing the Spurs on the second night of a back to back.

"They've had injuries, they've had illness -- but they'll come in firing the pill," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "In this league, we all know if you take somebody for granted, you've got problems."

* The Spurs will leave Thanksgiving Day for their Friday game at Houston. That won't stop some players from trying to squeeze in a traditional Turkey Day meal.

"I lucked out this year," Bonner said. "My mom's in town, and we're cooking a 21-pound turkey."

Bonner said he is already looking forward to leftovers.

"There will be lots of sandwiches to eat for days to come," he said.

Spurs players without families in town have been invited to Roger Mason Jr.'s house for turkey and trimmings. Keith Bogans said he plans to accept that invitation, but first must determine if Mason himself is cooking the food.

"I would hope not," Bogans said. "If he's cooking, I'm not eating."

Hit the link for audio.

Audio: George Hill's comments at Tuesday's practice
Audio: Matt Bonner's comments at Tuesday's practice

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/11/we-talkin-bout.html#more

I. Hustle
11-24-2009, 06:09 PM
I thought AI visited the Spurs' practice.

Muser
11-24-2009, 06:11 PM
I thought this was the breaking news that A.I signed with the Spurs :(

TIMMYD!
11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Wasn't that good...

SamoanTD
11-24-2009, 06:13 PM
pretty cool of roger

EP Money Man
11-24-2009, 06:19 PM
As long as we can play the same stingy D that we have been playing, were gonna kill Golden State. The key is not allowing Monta easy baskets, he's not that good (volume shooter).

Have faith in Boogey and Arms.

DJB
11-24-2009, 06:48 PM
Haha, Bogans

Chomag
11-24-2009, 06:57 PM
"whew"My heart just stopped there for a moment when I read the title. Stupid sports writer trying to kill me with a heart attack!

YoMamaIsCallin
11-24-2009, 06:58 PM
From the preview for tonight's game:

Golden State has eight players out due to injuries, including starters Andris Biedrins (back) and Kelenna Azubuike (patellar tendon), and suited up the NBA-minimum eight players in Friday night's 108-94 win over Portland.

They dressed Anthony Morrow, Corey Maggette, Mikki Moore, Monta Ellis, Stephen Curry, Anthony Randolph, Vladimir Radmanovic, and Chris Hunter (NBDL callup). Ellis and Morrow played 48 minutes and Curry for 45:34.

phxspurfan
11-24-2009, 07:43 PM
I hate how Bonner looks halfway decent against the bad teams in some games and then his balls shrivel up in the clutch against the better teams.

Sean Cagney
11-24-2009, 08:06 PM
I hate how Bonner looks halfway decent against the bad teams in some games and then his balls shrivel up in the clutch against the better teams.

I always said some have it all year long but when the playoffs come they go and hide in a hole, thats how you can tell a real player from a guy who has no heart.

tp2021
11-24-2009, 08:26 PM
Not to say I don't wish for the Spurs to spend Thanksgiving with their families, but I think it would help team camaraderie to share a special occasion together such as a Thanksgiving meal. Nice move by Roger. :tu

Russ
11-24-2009, 08:29 PM
We talkin' 'bout practice (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/11/we-talkin-bout.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

* Line of the day came from Bonner, whose 23-point night earned him a spot on ESPN's "King Of The Night" ballot: "I'll go back to being a jester tomorrow."

Whatever you think of Bonner, you gotta dig that kind of self-awareness and humor.

thispego
11-24-2009, 08:57 PM
but but but get booner off this team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

silverblackfan
11-24-2009, 09:09 PM
I think Bonner is a good role player and continues to improve. He seems to be more confident, self deprecating, good hustle, and now even pulls a few more boards down. What more can you ask of the guy?

SenorSpur
11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
I take Bonner's contributions with the same tempered "grain of salt" as I do those of the Dallas Cowboys. Regualr season accomplishments are fine and dandy, but they don't mean much now. I want to see it in the playoffs. After all, for the past 2 years, he's disappeared in the playoffs.

aquiet20&10
11-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Whatever you think of Bonner, you gotta dig that kind of self-awareness and humor.

exactly. the guy's a team player to the fullest. why so many people want him out is beyond me. i can see the defensive deficiencies, of course, but the guy really does get the most out of his abilities. you usually don't see him trying to be something he is not. he knows he is a role player and helps the team the ways he knows best: knocking down 3s, pulling down a handful of rebounds, setting screens, etc.

The Truth #6
11-25-2009, 01:20 AM
I don't expect anything from him in the playoffs and hopefully Pop doesn't either. I love getting as much production from him as possible during the regular season to get through the regular season but I don't want to have to expect for him to contribute for us to win in the playoffs. Whenever he faces physical contact he starts flopping and falling down looking to be saved by the refs. He still has a way to go before I can expect him to be reliable in the crunch.

duhoh
11-25-2009, 02:40 AM
whew

i'm glad this isn't another AI thread