PDA

View Full Version : Question for the guys about being a "gentlemen"

Frenzy
11-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Something happen to me and my friend today while I was visiting his work place. I went to pick up some stuff to help him move junk from his office,and after we were all done he went in one final time to pick up the last box. As we approach the door he reaches the door 1st and I in a joke like manner walk out while he holds the door open with his back. He's says "asshole" I laugh and nod to him that just behind him is a lady. He looks back and holds the door open with the back side of his foot for the fare lady to pass. So get this....No thank you...from the lady. Not even so much as a nod of "thanks" The lady just walked right through. I look at my friend like "ha" He looks at me like "psft" Before he knows it another lady walks through. No thank you either. I guess he was shocked that the lady did not say thank you either. So he just stood there. I look at him like dude lets go. But before he knows it another lady walks through... but get this another and another walk through...I guess some women convention had just ended or something and they all decided to walk out the same dam door. He stays there holding the door looking at me like WTF I get closer and I see none.... not one says thank you. He looks at me like should I just let the door go. I get the door and let him go since he had the box. I look at lady after lady as they walk through the door for eye contact to signal to them I'm not a door man and I am letting the door go. But none looked. So I let the door go after like the 5th lady.Sure enough the door hits some girl on her arm and she looks at me with this ugly face. She then mumbles to her friend "what a gentlemen" Me and my friend just laugh like..crazy bitch?

So what would you guys have done diff?

I. Hustle
11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
I hate when bitches do that. I ALWAYS say "Hey you're welcome" in a sarcastic tone

Strike
11-24-2009, 11:06 PM
That's why I don't hold doors open for women anymore. When the ratio of "thank you" to none hit the negative, I just stopped giving a shit.

JamStone
11-24-2009, 11:17 PM
This is actually one of my pet peeves. People don't know how to say a simple "thanks." It's not just for holding doors, but for anything where common courtesy tells you that you should say "thank you." And it's not just women either. I hold doors open for anyone, women, men, kids if they're within a few steps of me as I walk through. I would probably guess the percentage at about 60% say thank you from my experience. And that 40% who don't really do get on my nerves. Even if they give the head nod and don't say anything, that's cool. But, no acknowledgment does tick me off. I also give a sarcastic, "you're welcome" when they don't say anything... unless it's a really big guy who could beat my ass, and then I don't say anything because I'm a pussy.

Vinnie_Johnson
11-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Mine is when your driving and you let someone cut in front of you and they don't give you the hand wave. Pisses me off to no end bastards.

JoeChalupa
11-24-2009, 11:27 PM
I still open and hold doors for women because that's the kind of gentleman I am. A woman's rudeness is no match for my gentleman ways.

The Reckoning
11-24-2009, 11:28 PM
yeah women usually take it for granted.

i really hate it when i hold a door for a large line of people walking through the door and not one person volunteers to take the door from me, so i end up waiting 5 minutes straight for everyone and their mother to walk in. all you can do is grin and bear it.

Frenzy
11-24-2009, 11:28 PM
This is actually one of my pet peeves. People don't know how to say a simple "thanks." It's not just for holding doors, but for anything where common courtesy tells you that you should say "thank you." And it's not just women either. I hold doors open for anyone, women, men, kids if they're within a few steps of me as I walk through. I would probably guess the percentage at about 60% say thank you from my experience. And that 40% who don't really do get on my nerves. Even if they give the head nod and don't say anything, that's cool. But, no acknowledgment does tick me off. I also give a sarcastic, "you're welcome" when they don't say anything... unless it's a really big guy who could beat my ass, and then I don't say anything because I'm a pussy.

I was thinking 50% was a good percentage. But this time was 0%. Maybe it was some women "hate men" group.

Strike
11-24-2009, 11:32 PM
Mine is when your driving and you let someone cut in front of you and they don't give you the hand wave. Pisses me off to no end bastards.

Drives me nuts. I did that for some woman a few weeks ago and she didn't acknowledge it at all. Probably because she was too busy playing with her damn phone. So, at the next light I pulled up next to her and screamed 'YOU'RE WELCOME!!!" Petty, I know. But it felt good.

mrsmaalox
11-24-2009, 11:35 PM
Well guys that's just plain rude. I appreciate the gesture, and I always say thank you. I require my kids to say thank you also. If women are really as rude as you claim, then I don't blame you guys for not doing it.

JoeChalupa
11-24-2009, 11:36 PM
Come to think of it....I think I've heard more "Thanks Chief" coming from men then from women lately.

Udokafan05
11-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Texas State is probably the only place where everyone holds doors for everyone and is nice about it.

spursncowboys
11-25-2009, 12:17 AM
I always hold doors for woman. I almost always get a ty. Maybe bcuz I look at them while they walk y. When it does happen that they say nothing, I'll say your welcome real loud. petty but i feel better about it.

Leetonidas
11-25-2009, 12:33 AM
Next time it happens just whip your dick out and skeet in her eye. She'll get the message. Doubt she'll ever forget to say thanks again after that.

Frenzy
11-25-2009, 01:42 AM
Next time it happens just whip your dick out and skeet in her eye. She'll get the message. Doubt she'll ever forget to say thanks again after that.

on a dime like that? :lol

baseline bum
11-25-2009, 02:01 AM
I hold doors open for anyone, man, woman, or child. It's no big deal and most people say thanks. If they don't, who cares? It only took a whole 2 seconds of my life anyways.

Creepn
11-25-2009, 03:03 AM
Yeah, I've resorted to just swinging the door a little wider so the person behind me can just walk through without touching it. I get a thanks most of the time but if I don't it doesnt bother me since I half assed it in the first place.

Bender
11-25-2009, 05:15 AM
on a dime like that? :lol
he must be real quick!

ynh
11-25-2009, 06:38 AM
The door and car thing happen way to often. Lately though my biggest pet peeve has been at work walking by someone and not getting a nod or them saying hi.. Especially when they seem to avoid all eye contact with you and act like they don't see you when you pass by.

sonic21
11-25-2009, 08:07 AM
I hold the door open for ANYONE behind me - young, old, male, female, whatever. 70% of the time, people say thanks.

it's just common courtesy, people find this normal and they don't say thanks all the time.

EmptyMan
11-25-2009, 09:10 AM
Women rarely say thank you after you hold the door open for them.

Drachen
11-25-2009, 09:12 AM

THIS RIGHT HERE! I hate this. when someone lets me in I will wave in the middle of my truck, but I am paranoid that maybe the angle or the tint made it difficult for them to see it so I will roll down my window, rain, cold, shine, whatever and wave out the window. This is courtesy to the highest degree (these days anyway) I want to make sure people know I appreciate it so that, oh I don't know, maybe they will keep doing it.

As far as the door thing, it is automatic for me, I haven't really kept much of a tally on it though. If you want to get thank yous, then hang out with girls from new york. There was this chick that started with me when I worked at USAA, and she had just moved from new york. We went on smoke breaks together and usually arrived at similar times. For the first 7 or 8 months, as I am holding the door for her to go in/out, she would give me this really surprised look and say a real big "Thank you." After the 8 mos. she would still give a big thank you, but wouldn't look so surprised. I brought it up to her once and she talked about how there are no guys up there who do that at all, she had never seen it before outside of the movies, and its such a wonderful gesture and she genuinely appreciates it.

Kriz-Maxima
11-25-2009, 09:19 AM
I hold doors open for anyone, man, woman, or child. It's no big deal and most people say thanks. If they don't, who cares? It only took a whole 2 seconds of my life anyways.

+1

It's nice when people can make a small gesture without the need to be acknowledged.

JudynTX
11-25-2009, 09:35 AM
I hold the door open for ANYONE behind me - young, old, male, female, whatever. 70% of the time, people say thanks.

it's just common courtesy, people find this normal and they don't say thanks all the time.

:tu I always say thank you. My husband still opens doors for me and I tell him thank you. :D

Crookshanks
11-25-2009, 09:43 AM
I always say thank you when someone opens a door for me. At the building where I work, there are two doors because of the security keypad. If a man opens both doors, then he gets two thank yous!

But some guys are just totally clueless. Last year after Christmas, I had several boxes of decorations to take home. There was a guy working in the next cubicle - but he never volunteered to carry a box. It was the WOMEN I work with who helped me carry the boxes to my car. Maybe that's why that guy is almost 60 and isn't married... :rolleyes

I. Hustle
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
If it's only one or two that go by and don't say thanks I let it slide but when there are a few that just keep walking through and don't even turn to smile then I get upset. What really gets me is when I open a door to walk in and someone will squeeze by me to go in.

BacktoBasics
11-25-2009, 09:46 AM
What the fuck is that in your avatar. Conjoined twins?

DisAsTerBot
11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
for me, it's the elevator. I can't stand when you're about to get out of the elevator and some woman just storms in before anyone comes out, like she can't get in quick enough. Of course while never saying a thing...

or when you hold the elevator door for the women to enter or exit...with no thanks.

sonic21
11-25-2009, 10:07 AM
:tu I always say thank you. My husband still opens doors for me and I tell him thank you. :D

but is he a "gentle man"?

Whisky Dog
11-25-2009, 10:12 AM
You should hold open doors for people as a common courtesy, but we as a society really need to get away from the whole "gentleman" thing. Tht word is so negative, it implies a man who supplicates women and that is a horrible thing to do.

You know why most men end up "friends" with women they want and end up doing things for the women while getting nothing in return? Because they're trying to be "gentlemen". Gotta love the great messages we get from society.

JudynTX
11-25-2009, 10:14 AM
but is he a "gentle man"?

Oh yes. :D

easjer
11-25-2009, 10:54 AM
I always say thank you, and I frequently hold the door open for people coming or going. Common courtesy. I also try to wave whenever I can in traffic.

CosmicCowboy
11-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Women always look at me and smile and say thanks when I hold the door for them. Like 100% of the time. You guys must look like perverts.

TDMVPDPOY
11-25-2009, 11:09 AM
check the nice guys finish last thread....lol

Jose_Romero
11-25-2009, 11:36 AM
People in general don't understand common curtosy anymore. I don't know what's happening to our society, but parents need to remember to teach kids these days to treat others the way They'd like to be treated. I think americans have strayed from that.

mrsmaalox
11-25-2009, 11:54 AM
You should hold open doors for people as a common courtesy, but we as a society really need to get away from the whole "gentleman" thing. Tht word is so negative, it implies a man who supplicates women and that is a horrible thing to do.

You know why most men end up "friends" with women they want and end up doing things for the women while getting nothing in return? Because they're trying to be "gentlemen". Gotta love the great messages we get from society.

I agree it should be about being polite and courteous and not about being a gentleman. If I'm at the door first I will hold it for anyone, even if I have to wait for them a few seconds and I'm pretty much always thanked. If they don't thank me, who cares, I'm already better than them. ;)

gatoloco
11-25-2009, 11:55 AM
if i'm holding the door open for 30 women, that better be one hot bitch at the end of the line...

mrsmaalox
11-25-2009, 12:02 PM
Oh and another thing......those women struggling to open doors for those mini-tank sized strollers; why doesn't anyone ever help them? I always do, but I'm usually the 2nd or 3rd person who walks by them. I know those things are annoying as hell and make me want to slap some women upside the head, but I've been there and I much prefer holding the door open for one than running around terrorizing shoppers with one :)

Twisted_Dawg
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
I still open and hold doors for women because that's the kind of gentleman I am. A woman's rudeness is no match for my gentleman ways.

I am exactly like you Joe. Hey, do you also try to steal a peak down their blouse as they walk by?

Wrong! We men should never give up the ideal of chivalry particularly with women.

And for those men that let women manipulate them into doing things the woman needs, those guys just need to grow a set.

baseline bum
11-25-2009, 12:39 PM
Women always look at me and smile and say thanks when I hold the door for them. Like 100% of the time. You guys must look like perverts.

:lol

I wouldn't say I get a thanks 100% of the time, but it's definitely above 90%. About the only people who don't say thanks almost all the time are kids (by kids I mean 10 year-olds).

weebo
11-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Some guys in here act like a bunch of girls. You open the the door and they don't say 'thank you'....blah blah blah...I'm so butt hurt!!! LOL

Here's how you solve this little problem:

QUIT OPENING FUCKING DOORS FOR THEM!

DarkReign
11-25-2009, 01:11 PM

Color me unsurprised. Must be your uber-macho, testosterone fueled 1000 yard stare of "Dare to fuck me" that gets the reaction.

CosmicCowboy
11-25-2009, 02:18 PM
Color me unsurprised. Must be your uber-macho, testosterone fueled 1000 yard stare of "Dare to fuck me" that gets the reaction.

Could be...more likely it's just that I don't look like a creep and hold the door for them, smile, and they smile back and say thank you.

ATRAIN
11-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Could be...more likely it's just that I don't look like a creep and hold the door for them, smile, and they smile back and say thank you.

I hate agreeing with anything CC says but I have found that this is the best way to get any response. Smile and dont look like you are doing them a favor. I hold doors open for everyone guys or girls, of course yes ill go a little more out of my way for a hot chick and for the elderly. Also a lost art is guys sitting down before ladies at a table. If I am with her ill pull her chair out but if she is a friends girl or what not ill wait till she sits down to sit.

Whisky Dog
11-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I am exactly like you Joe. Hey, do you also try to steal a peak down their blouse as they walk by?

Wrong! We men should never give up the ideal of chivalry particularly with women.

And for those men that let women manipulate them into doing things the woman needs, those guys just need to grow a set.

I knew somebody was gonna bring up the C word. So, tell me what your idea of chilvary is? What is the man's role with women?

I. Hustle
11-25-2009, 02:45 PM
I hate when chicks get all upset because you don't help them carry stuff or open doors or crap like that. I worked in a place where you were required to be able to lift at least 45 pounds in order to get the job but somehow I was supposed to pick everything up for the women. What happened to womens lib? I thought the purpose was for equality or is that just when it comes to the benefits?

ATRAIN
11-25-2009, 02:51 PM
I hate when chicks get all upset because you don't help them carry stuff or open doors or crap like that. I worked in a place where you were required to be able to lift at least 45 pounds in order to get the job but somehow I was supposed to pick everything up for the women. What happened to womens lib? I thought the purpose was for equality or is that just when it comes to the benefits?

shut up fag

mrsmaalox
11-25-2009, 03:51 PM

Gets me every time :tu

lefty
11-25-2009, 04:31 PM
Nice guys finish last

True

Sancha
11-25-2009, 05:27 PM
Bitch you better open the door for me. I pull out my top a little so you can see the girls as a thank you.

Strike
11-25-2009, 05:30 PM

^This^

whottt
11-25-2009, 05:52 PM
I usually try to be polite but it also depends on my mood. I will always attempt to hold the door open but if a bunch a people just start walking through and taking it for granted, like it's my job or something, and don't even acknoledge my existence I will just let go of the door and walk off. It's definitely situational. And I never walk through a door someone is holding open without saying thanks.

Doesn't bother me if they say thanks really when I am in a good mood, but does bother me when I am in a bad mood. The right thing to do is acknowledge the person holding the door open for you and people that refuse to do so are rude, I don't care what the person looks like.

What isn't situational is when I am at a Blockbuster or something with double doors and I am leaving or entering through the right door and someone is coming in from the opposite side and crosses over to come in through the door I just opened which would be the left door to them...

That annoys the shit out of me and it happens just about every time I go into Blockbuster. It's like they want to do as little work as humanly possible or something and just get that free open door.

Someday that is going to happen when I am in the wrong kind of mood and that door is just going to get slammed in their lazy face. Just a matter of time.

ploto
11-25-2009, 06:54 PM
It's nice when people can make a small gesture without the need to be acknowledged.

This.

The Gemini Method
11-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Man, you would think people would say excuse me, too. I don't know what happened to people, but if there is one thing I can't stand is the lack of etiquette. I mean, I am very liberal in my stance on most anything, but if you can't take the time to properly thank someone, then you can properly open the door on your own.

Frenzy
11-25-2009, 09:53 PM
What the fuck is that in your avatar. Conjoined twins?

I think you mean my sig.... and yes I guess I dunno looks like Photoshop.

I hate agreeing with anything CC says but I have found that this is the best way to get any response. Smile and dont look like you are doing them a favor. I hold doors open for everyone guys or girls, of course yes ill go a little more out of my way for a hot chick and for the elderly. Also a lost art is guys sitting down before ladies at a table. If I am with her ill pull her chair out but if she is a friends girl or what not ill wait till she sits down to sit.

I've never done that. What's the whole idea behind that?...Is that still under the term "ladies first"?

that would be a hard habit to start doing for me..I bet mr. chulapa don't even do that.

polandprzem
11-26-2009, 05:11 AM
I usually try to be polite but it also depends on my mood. I will always attempt to hold the door open but if a bunch a people just start walking through and taking it for granted, like it's my job or something, and don't even acknoledge my existence I will just let go of the door and walk off. It's definitely situational. And I never walk through a door someone is holding open without saying thanks.

Doesn't bother me if they say thanks really when I am in a good mood, but does bother me when I am in a bad mood. The right thing to do is acknowledge the person holding the door open for you and people that refuse to do so are rude, I don't care what the person looks like.

What isn't situational is when I am at a Blockbuster or something with double doors and I am leaving or entering through the right door and someone is coming in from the opposite side and crosses over to come in through the door I just opened which would be the left door to them...

That annoys the shit out of me and it happens just about every time I go into Blockbuster. It's like they want to do as little work as humanly possible or something and just get that free open door.

Someday that is going to happen when I am in the wrong kind of mood and that door is just going to get slammed in their lazy face. Just a matter of time.

You are pissed because you didn't get any tips for holding the door

Sotongball21
11-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, i went out with my group of friends today, and there was a guy on the bicycle behind us, so we moved away. The bicycle guy said "thank you"!
And we said in unison. "Welcome!"

:D

EmptyMan
11-26-2009, 09:21 AM
Women always look at me and smile and say thanks when I hold the door for them. Like 100% of the time.

That's because they are all 90 yrs old holmes. The older women get flashbacks to the good ol' days thanks to you, young whippersnapper.

The Reckoning
11-26-2009, 11:06 AM
:lol

at people being upset when men don't go out of their way to assist women but at the same time believing its degrading to women when men do so.

so which one is it?

A) my mama taught me to take care of women because they keep the wheel of life turnin', so you can kiss my ass with all the "chauvinist pig" bullshit.

B) help everyone - men and women alike - with the door, but don't expect a thank you because that's degrading to women. don't open car doors, carry small loads, hold umbrellas or pull chairs out for women because it would look awkward doing so for men - everyone must be treated the same - or else you're a sexist bastard.

on a side note, my literature TA called me sexist on front of the entire study group and tried to get all of the women in the group to heckle me. she called me sexist because i interpreted ee cummings and hemingway as believing that women should be treated the same as men and not be treated better just for being women.

so i degrade women when i do help them, and i degrade them when i dont.

sabar
11-26-2009, 09:37 PM
I don't expect thanks for anything I do anywhere. I'm not entitled to anything, whether it be a thank you or any "common courtesy". I still say thank you and hold doors for anyone and would teach the same. People need to be a bit more selfless, especially when it comes to trivial things like holding a freaking door open. No one cares that you wasted 0.00012% of your life holding something without thanks. Altruism makes the world better, not gratitude.

I assume that people hold doors to be nice, not to boost their egos or pick up women. The latter two are equally pathetic.