PDA

View Full Version : A little help?

Cyrano
11-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Tomorrow is our 35th wedding anniversary. I had made lots of plans for the day, unfortunately, Jan got really sick and has been in the hospital for two months, and will probably be there for a few more. So, the romantic dinner and dancing is out! I've arranged for 3 dozen roses and a teddy bear to be delivered to her
hospital room tomorrow morning, but I'm wondering if y'all might have some other suggestions to make the day special for her. Keep in mind, she can't walk or even stand up, and is on a very rigid diabetic diet. Any ideas?

I. Hustle
11-24-2009, 10:42 PM
Holy Crap. I'm not even 35 years old

Frenzy
11-24-2009, 10:43 PM
have a female nurse give her a sponge bath. you can watch it's win win. That or do something cheesy like have a nurse saying something about you guys over the intercom.

duncan228
11-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Happy Anniversary.

Can she watch movies in her room? Maybe rent a couple of her favorites, or a couple that mean something to both of you. If you kill the lights and curl up together to watch you might even forget where you are for a bit.

I. Hustle
11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Happy Anniversary.

Can she watch movies in her room? Maybe rent a couple of her favorites, or a couple that mean something to both of you. If you kill the lights and curl up together to watch you might even forget where you are for a bit.

Nicely done Duncan228

JoeChalupa
11-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Happy Anniversary.

:tu And your being there is probably the best present you can give.

Strike
11-24-2009, 11:39 PM
Agreed. Just spend time together. What else do you really need?

PM5K
11-24-2009, 11:51 PM
Three dozen? You would have been better off to deliver her small bouquets of a half dozen each six times all in different colors, white, red, yellow, pink, etc.

mrsmaalox
11-24-2009, 11:57 PM
She'll be happy to be with you. But....when I was hospitalized on bedrest for a month, I loved it when my friends sent out an aesthetician for a shampoo, facial and mani/pedi. It renewed my spirit for a long time. Also, can she wear her own pj's? A gown or pj's with a matching robe and slippers is so much nicer than a hospital gown :)

Congrats to you both :toast

Nbadan
11-25-2009, 02:00 AM
...pull the plug....

Cyrano
11-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Her second day at the hospital, I bought her a whole new wardrobe of pj's, robes, gowns, slippers, and so on. The only thing she's been able to use is, of all things, the snuggies.
You know, the blanket with sleeves that everybody makes fun of. She now has them in blue, red, pink, and leopard print, and absolutely loves them.
So far as multi-colored roses go, I decided to go with all red roses.

Cyrano
11-25-2009, 02:48 AM
Her second day at the hospital, I bought her a whole new wardrobe of pj's, robes, gowns, slippers, and so on. The only thing she's been able to use is, of all things, the snuggies.
You know, the blanket with sleeves that everybody makes fun of. She now has them in blue, red, pink, and leopard print, and absolutely loves them.
So far as multi-colored roses go, I decided to go with all red roses.

PM5K
11-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Sounds like you don't even need our help.

White Gold
11-25-2009, 03:03 AM
If you have any milk related problems, I'm your man

Cyrano
11-25-2009, 10:31 AM
I figured it out. I'm going out this morning and getting a) a small portable stereo, b) a copy of Harry Connick Jr.'s new album "Your Song", c) a box of sugar-free chocolates, and d)
a bottle of non-alcoholic champagne (at least they'll let her have that). I'm arranging with
her nurses to set it all up on a rolling side table and surprising her at lunch time. Sound good?

I. Hustle
11-25-2009, 10:38 AM
Step one: Cut a whole in a box

Step two: put your junk in the box

Step three: have her open the box

easjer
11-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Yes, that is a lovely plan. I also agree that if you can have an aesthetician visit, it can do wonders for how you feel. Congratulations, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

marini martini
11-25-2009, 10:57 AM
Congratulations to you both. Hope she is out of the hospital soon.:)

I. Hustle
11-25-2009, 11:04 AM
Step one: Cut a whole in a box

Step two: put your junk in the box

Step three: have her open the box

Yes, that is a lovely plan. I also agree that if you can have an aesthetician visit, it can do wonders for how you feel. Congratulations, and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you

Cyrano
11-25-2009, 11:11 AM
I arranged for a beautician the first week, and every two weeks since. And yes, Jan
really appreciated it.

Sancha
11-25-2009, 11:17 AM
You should go clam diving. I know I would appreciate that if I was stuck in the hospital. Maybe you'll get a pearl.

JamStone
11-25-2009, 11:41 AM
You should go clam diving. I know I would appreciate that if I was stuck in the hospital. Maybe you'll get a pearl.

And he can even spit in the bedpan afterwards.

Hey, Cyrano, aren't you the one who is supposed to be giving love advice?

How about lasertag? No way you can lose.

Get her a vibrator?

Ok, seriously...

I agree that just spending time with her is the most important thing. Just postpone something special for when she's out and can walk. If you want to be cheesy romantic, print up some kind of ticket that says "35th Anniversary Gala" and at the bottom "redeemable at a later date" so she knows you'll be doing something special later on when the two of you can actually enjoy it together.

If you're trying to think of some semi-romantic things to do while you're there, maybe get a book of romantic poems to read to her at the end of the night when she's getting tired and just before you leave.

But, as someone mentioned, doesn't sound like you need a whole lot of help.

:married:

Cyrano
11-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Well, it didn't work out exactly as planned, it went even better. I expected the roses to be there when I arrived, but they hadn't. Jan was sound asleep, which gave me a chance to set up the champagne glasses and stereo (by the way, I highly recommend "Your Songs" by Harry Connick Jr for that romantic touch).
Jan woke up and saw me about one minute before the roses arrived, and wow, it was a MASSIVE arrangement. I'm glad I didn't miss the expression on her face when she saw them. She didn't start crying until about 10 minutes later when the teddy bear and chocolates arrived. Of course, the music and deliveries drew every nurse on the floor to see what was going on.
All in all, a priceless experience.

Cyrano
11-26-2009, 01:03 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/cyrano9839/Mobile%20Uploads/1259256826.jpg

clambake
11-26-2009, 02:13 PM
she looks happy.

good job.

duncan228
11-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Glad it went well Cyrano. Wish you both the best.