PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Ginobili out at least one more game

duncan228
11-25-2009, 12:08 AM
Ginobili out at least one more game (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Ginobili_out_at_least_one_more_game.html)
Mike Monroe

It was one week ago that Spurs guard Manu Ginobili was declared out of the lineup for a week to 10 days with a mild strain of the left groin, but don't look for him in uniform when the Spurs play the Golden State Warriors tonight at the AT&T Center.

“Manu's out,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said before his team's Tuesday afternoon practice session. “He's doing workouts, doing what he needs to do to rehab it every day, so it's getting better every day, but it's going to take more time. When he's ready, he'll play.”

If the original timetable proves accurate, Ginobili should be back on the floor by week's end. The Spurs play the Rockets in Houston on Friday, nine days since Ginobili's diagnosis. They play the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday at the AT&T Center.

Ginobili did a little light shooting before Tuesday's practice session, but all from a stationary, catch-and-shoot position.

Boarding school: The Spurs enjoyed a 46-29 rebounding advantage over the Milwaukee Bucks, who had led the league in rebounds per game. It was the Spurs' second straight game with a double-figures advantage on the boards, following a victory over Washington in which they outrebounded the Wizards 59-44.

After some problems on the boards in losses to Utah and Portland, Spurs players focused on improvement.

“Basketball, as I've said before, is a game of mistakes,” Popovich said. “We all know that. People try to concentrate and focus on things they've been doing poorly. This is a good character group. They know they were doing a poor job on the boards. They're trying to take care of it. You expect that from a team that cares, to try and take care of the areas that haven't gone so well.”

Who's cooking? The Spurs' charter flight to Houston is scheduled for late Thursday afternoon. Before they depart, some Spurs players will gather at the home of Roger Mason Jr. for Thanksgiving dinner.

“I've been invited over to Roger's house,” guard Keith Bogans said. “In the past, I've been with my family, but the guys here are my family now. Nothing like my real family, but I'll still have a good time.”

Will Mason be in the kitchen?

“I would hope not,” Bogans said. “If he's cooking, I'm not eating.”

Cant_Be_Faded
11-25-2009, 01:48 AM
Time for Mason to hit some threes and show us what he has.

Ginobili is done. Was good while it lasted.

duhoh
11-25-2009, 02:37 AM
wrong side of 30

Riverwalkman
11-25-2009, 02:40 AM
Get the expired contract traded. I'm joking.

Mr.Robinson
11-25-2009, 02:45 AM
Time for Mason to hit some threes and show us what he has.

Ginobili is done. Was good while it lasted.

Manu still has it.

silverblackfan
11-25-2009, 06:36 AM
Manu is far from done.

benefactor
11-25-2009, 06:54 AM
Boarding school: The Spurs enjoyed a 46-29 rebounding advantage over the Milwaukee Bucks, who had led the league in rebounds per game. It was the Spurs' second straight game with a double-figures advantage on the boards, following a victory over Washington in which they outrebounded the Wizards 59-44.

After some problems on the boards in losses to Utah and Portland, Spurs players focused on improvement.
Actually...we outrebounded Utah 41-35. The fact check bandit strikes again.

In the past 7 games we have only been outrebounded once...and that was only by 2 boards in the game against OKC. Over that stretch we have outrebounded opponents 322-273...an average of 7 boards per game.

ElNono
11-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Actually...we outrebounded Utah 41-35. The fact check bandit strikes again.

He's talking about the first back to back on the road. We did get outrebounded 41-36 against Utah:

http://www.nba.com/games/20091105/SASUTA/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

And 48-37 against Portland:

http://www.nba.com/games/20091106/SASPOR/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

In other news, Ginobili is on schedule. Don't forget that Pop was overly cautious with Tony too this season.

benefactor
11-25-2009, 08:01 AM
He's talking about the first back to back on the road. We did get outrebounded 41-36 against Utah:

http://www.nba.com/games/20091105/SASUTA/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

And 48-37 against Portland:

http://www.nba.com/games/20091106/SASPOR/gameinfo.html#nbaGIboxscore

In other news, Ginobili is on schedule. Don't forget that Pop was overly cautious with Tony too this season.
Ahh...ok. It's early in the morning. :sleep

It's been much better since then though, even in the losses. Good to hear about Manu too. :tu

SpurNation
11-25-2009, 08:15 AM
With the emergence of Hill; the progression of Bogans and Jefferson in the rotation; and the overall development of the team throughout the season; Ginobili...as good as he plays when healthy...hopefully won't be as missed if he succumbs to season ending injury again.

Here's praying that won't be the case and Ginobili comes back to have one of his finest season's ever.

ElNono
11-25-2009, 08:50 AM
With the emergence of Hill; the progression of Bogans and Jefferson in the rotation; and the overall development of the team throughout the season; Ginobili...as good as he plays when healthy...hopefully won't be as missed if he succumbs to season ending injury again.

Here's praying that won't be the case and Ginobili comes back to have one of his finest season's ever.

Just wondering what makes you think that at all?

benefactor
11-25-2009, 09:48 AM

It doesn't matter how anyone steps up. If we lose Manu, there is zero shot at the NBA Finals or even the WCF.

dbestpro
11-25-2009, 10:12 AM
I'm not worried about Manu. He will still score 4 pts one night and 30 the next. He will score when we need him to score. Defense, passing rebounding will remain a constant for Manu. The person I am worried about is TP. He is having a hard time adjusting with multiple scoring options around him and I think it is affecting his psych-ee and his overall game.

Interrohater
11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
I would like to look up Matt's average over the last few games in rebounding**. It looks like he's the one who has really stepped up in the rebounding department. If you just add one more guy in the lane trying to get rebounds, that shifts the advantage in your direction, especially if he's close to 7 foot. Tip outs and box outs helps some of the smaller guys pick up boards too. I wonder what Pop told Matt :lol

**I'm too lazy, however.

SpurNation
11-25-2009, 02:57 PM
It doesn't matter how anyone steps up. If we lose Manu, there is zero shot at the NBA Finals or even the WCF.

I don't think you can say that with certainty until we see how the rest of the team progresses throughout the season.

It's definately a possibility knowing what Ginobili has brought in years past if he can't be there and healthy come playoffs that the team doesn't go far in the playoffs. But if Hill and Jefferson become productive alternatives to a missing Ginobili in being able to cover his averages (which the team didn't have the past couple of years) then the team being able to progress further in the playoffs would be a possibility as well.

Tougher without him... yes.
Zero shot.... I disagree with what I've been seeing so far from the other players.

lurker23
11-25-2009, 03:10 PM
I would like to look up Matt's average over the last few games in rebounding**. It looks like he's the one who has really stepped up in the rebounding department. If you just add one more guy in the lane trying to get rebounds, that shifts the advantage in your direction, especially if he's close to 7 foot. Tip outs and box outs helps some of the smaller guys pick up boards too. I wonder what Pop told Matt :lol

**I'm too lazy, however.

First 6 games: 135 minutes, 20 rebounds
Last 6 games: 126 minutes, 41 rebounds

lurker23
11-25-2009, 03:21 PM
First 6 games: 135 minutes, 20 rebounds (0.148 rebounds per minute)
Last 6 games: 126 minutes, 41 rebounds (0.325 rebounds per minute)

For what it's worth, Bonner's average for last season was between these two rates (0.200 rebounds per minute).

ElNono
11-25-2009, 03:30 PM
Tougher without him... yes.
Zero shot.... I disagree with what I've been seeing so far from the other players.

Disagree. I'm with benefactor. No Ginobili = no title.

jdiggy0424
11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
only way we can win it alll is if ginobilis healthy, and i don't see that happening anytime soon

lennyalderette
11-25-2009, 05:50 PM
i think it all depends how george is going to step up, if he steps up majorly while giving intense defense, while everyone else gets on board, and it seems like everyone is, then i see us in a whole new way. we have enough fire power, and defensive players to stop kobe and penetrate as well, ginobili and parker were the only ones for like 4 yrs!lol now hill,parker,jefferson, and even bogans when its not to crowded. we also have a consistent dice on our team hitting shots. thats not mentioning our guys who will be salivating at the 3pt line while these guys drive.

temujin
11-25-2009, 06:14 PM
No Ginobili, no title.

Throw in all the Parkers and Hills and Jeffersons,
still no title.

ElNono
11-25-2009, 07:24 PM
only way we can win it alll is if ginobilis healthy, and i don't see that happening anytime soon

Why is that?

SA210
11-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Manu is far from done.

emanueldavidginobili
11-25-2009, 08:37 PM
No Ginobili, no title.

Throw in all the Parkers and Hills and Jeffersons,
still no title.

this right here, even if they cover manu's averages it means nothing, manu pick and roll is deadly he sets up everyone on the team hes a ball hawk on the defensive end hits clutch shots and his number gets called at the end of the game when they need a bucket.

and lol at people say manu is done, he dropped 36 like a week 1/2 ago he might be a little inconsistent for a little while but hes still rusty from not playing from not playing over the summer, he will be fine, i have trust in manu.