PDA

View Full Version : Gambler claims 13 referees involved in NBA betting scandal

robbie380
11-25-2009, 09:56 AM
http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/sports/BO130486/

Source: Gambler claims 13 referees involved in NBA betting scandal
7News sports director Joe Amorosino is reporting the following:

BOSTON -- A source tells 7Sports that the gambler at the center of the 2008 NBA betting scandal says 13 referees were involved.

Jimmy "The Sheep" Battista pleaded guilty to conspiracy to transmit wagering information in connection with disgraced NBA official Tim Donaghy and served 15 months in federal prison.

The source also tells 7Sports that Battista claims he has the phone records to prove his contact with these 13 referees.

Donaghy served 15 months in federal prison for providing inside tips on NBA games to a professional gambler in exchange for money.

When the scandal broke in June of 2008, NBA commissioner David Stern called Donaghy a "rogue, isolated criminal."

The source tells 7Sports that Battista says he had a "Big-5" of dependable referees with Tim Donaghy being the "King" as Battista called him, who the gambler says delivered a winning bet 78 percent of the time in games he officiated.

The 7Sports source says that on December 12, 2006, the night before the Celtics played the Philadelphia 76ers, Battista says he met with Donaghy and a mutual high school friend.

On that night, the gambler claims they made a deal which according to Battista involved Donaghy supplying information including injury reports and referee assignments and Battista making the bets.

The source says that according to Battista, the first game the two men bet on together was the Celtics-76ers game the following night -- a game Donaghy officiated and one the Celtics covered with ease.

The Celtics were 1 1/2 point favorites, but with 10 minutes to play in the third quarter, the score was tied.

The Celtics would eventually go on to win by 20 points.

The source says Battista is making these claims as he works to finalize a tell-all book deal.

pauls931
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
Activating, STERN SUPER FANTASTIC LEGAL TEAM POWER!!!

Thunder Dan
11-25-2009, 09:58 AM
I'm all for fixing the NBA as long as a) I don't overtly know about it, B) they are fixing it for my team to win.

Culburn369
11-25-2009, 09:59 AM
I'm all for fixing the NBA as long as a) I don't overtly know about it, B) they are fixing it for my team to win.

& I'm all for just (B).

ElNono
11-25-2009, 10:00 AM

http://pic65.flodeo.com/photos/65/AE/AA/jotecito/144-2119.jpg

coyotes_geek
11-25-2009, 10:01 AM

There is not a greater force in the universe.

Thunder Dan
11-25-2009, 10:03 AM
& I'm all for just (B).

no way man. How awesome was WWF when you were a kid and thought it was real, then you found out it was fake and it ruined it. Same thing with the NBA

Culburn369
11-25-2009, 10:04 AM
There is not a greater force in the universe.

Hussein Obama is a greater force. He turned unemployment from less than 5% to more than 10% in less than a year. Top that Sterny.

ElNono
11-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Hussein Obama is a greater force. He turned unemployment from less than 5% to more than 10% in less than a year. Top that Sterny.

He's working on it:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/25/sports/basketball/25adidas.html?hpw

From the article:

Schumer said he might ask the N.B.A.’s commissioner, David Stern, to intervene.

The N.B.A. did not reply to telephone messages.

pauls931
11-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Stern is all over it, you could see him freaking out just about the Donaghy thing a while back, and then managed to stop his book. Now we have another book with 13! refs possibly connected to it, possibly pissing on Sterns claims of cheating being isolated to just Donaghy.

Kriz-Maxima
11-25-2009, 10:17 AM
I just wish the Pistons were more liked by the league.

Culburn369
11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Yer loved by Spurstalk, Kriz. They built you that room after they kicked your ass in the Finals.

Galileo
11-25-2009, 12:26 PM
Source: Gambler claims 13 referees involved in NBA betting scandal

7News sports director Joe Amorosino is reporting the following:

BOSTON -- A source tells 7Sports that the gambler at the center of the 2008 NBA betting scandal says 13 referees were involved.

Jimmy "The Sheep" Battista pleaded guilty to conspiracy to transmit wagering information in connection with disgraced NBA official Tim Donaghy and served 15 months in federal prison.

The source also tells 7Sports that Battista claims he has the phone records to prove his contact with these 13 referees.

Donaghy served 15 months in federal prison for providing inside tips on NBA games to a professional gambler in exchange for money.

When the scandal broke in June of 2008, NBA commissioner David Stern called Donaghy a "rogue, isolated criminal."

The source tells 7Sports that Battista says he had a "Big-5" of dependable referees with Tim Donaghy being the "King" as Battista called him, who the gambler says delivered a winning bet 78 percent of the time in games he officiated.

The 7Sports source says that on December 12, 2006, the night before the Celtics played the Philadelphia 76ers, Battista says he met with Donaghy and a mutual high school friend.

On that night, the gambler claims they made a deal which according to Battista involved Donaghy supplying information including injury reports and referee assignments and Battista making the bets.

The source says that according to Battista, the first game the two men bet on together was the Celtics-76ers game the following night -- a game Donaghy officiated and one the Celtics covered with ease.

The Celtics were 1 1/2 point favorites, but with 10 minutes to play in the third quarter, the score was tied.

The Celtics would eventually go on to win by 20 points.

The source says Battista is making these claims as he works to finalize a tell-all book deal.

http://www3.whdh.com/news/articles/sports/BO130486/

Take that, conspiracy debunkers!

:rollin

:ihit

:nope

:p:

Indazone
11-25-2009, 12:28 PM
& I'm all for just (B).

Cause everyone knows that the fix is in for the Lakers

lefty
11-25-2009, 12:50 PM
The source says Battista is making these claims as he works to finalize a tell-all book deal

pauls931
11-25-2009, 12:54 PM
I see Stern and crew throwing so many legal threats at this book that the author will have to back off since he won't have the money to defend himself. A common practice in the business world when a little shit tries to sue a big company. The big company goes "Fine... We have 10000 lawyers, will drag this out, Appeal, and bankrupt you before you get squat. Still want to sue?"

Whisky Dog
11-25-2009, 01:13 PM
Phone records? Proof? Why isn't anyone getting up on that to see if there really is proof?

Jacob1983
11-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm surprised that Stern hasn't tried to put a hit on Donaghy and anyone else that is in involved with the rigging the NBA. Stern has to be hiding something.

Allanon
11-25-2009, 01:19 PM
Hell, I can write a pretty good fantasy story too.

Funny how there's never any "proof". :lol

coyotes_geek
11-25-2009, 01:25 PM

Are you kidding? With one hand Stern would be distracting the entire nation by pointing and saying "look, shaq and kobe are doing something" while using the other to direct his lawyers to bury the entire government so deep in non-disclosure agreements that no one would even be allowed to utter the word "unemployment" ever again. The Bama'er doesn't have shit on Stern.

21_Blessings
11-25-2009, 03:50 PM
All 13 of those refs bet on the 2004 Pistons, conveniently, and own multiple summer/winter homes.

The Franchise
11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Thirteen sounds about right. What's sad is they're still doing it. I hope nobody was crazy enough to believe it was just Donaghy?

BRHornet45
11-25-2009, 07:20 PM
lol sons like this is anything new? .... why do you think guys like Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Wade, etc. LIVE at the free throw line? hell, I'm willing to bet that AT LEAST 80% of the free throws given to ALL star players are bogus, bullshit calls.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-25-2009, 11:38 PM

Yeah, Obama was the one who completely deregulated the financial system in 2002 and caused the meltdown. Nothing to do with GW, lax regulators, rampaging banks, or easy credit at all. Uh-huh.

Come on Culburn, surely you're smarter than that?

(Also, I am neutral on Obama, waiting for him to actually do something before I judge his performance).

PGDynasty24
11-25-2009, 11:40 PM
lol sons like this is anything new? .... why do you think guys like Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, Wade, etc. LIVE at the free throw line? hell, I'm willing to bet that AT LEAST 80% of the free throws given to ALL star players are bogus, bullshit calls.

a Hornets fan complaining about superstar calls? LOL. Chris Paul and his flopping omg now thats funny

duhoh
11-26-2009, 12:50 AM
a Hornets fan complaining about superstar calls? LOL. Chris Paul and his flopping omg now thats funny

:lol:lol:lol

offensive flopper :nope

Jacob1983
11-26-2009, 01:49 AM
Stern was a pathetic lying dumb-ass when he said that it was only Donaghy. It was so obvious that Stern was hiding something when he tried to make Donaghy the only dirty ref. NBA refs have too much power and control of the game. That's one reason why the NBA is a somewhat dirty rigged league.

BRHornet45
11-26-2009, 02:43 AM

lol dumbass ... do you have trouble reading? I clearly said ALL STAR PLAYERS.

Culburn369
11-26-2009, 05:24 AM
Sacramento called, they want their championship back.

Well, then the next time Adelbrain tells CWEBB not to leave Horry, he'd a better listen.

tee, hee.

Culburn369
11-26-2009, 05:29 AM
Yeah, Obama was the one who completely deregulated the financial system in 2002 and caused the meltdown. Nothing to do with GW, lax regulators, rampaging banks, or easy credit at all. Uh-huh.

Come on Culburn, surely you're smarter than that?

(Also, I am neutral on Obama, waiting for him to actually do something before I judge his performance).

Sure, yer neutral.

Uh, uh, this is Hussein Obama's shit sandwich, and daddy-O's on this NBA Forum he's gonna eat the whole f'in thing. Unemployment went from less than 5% to more than 10% in less than a year. And now the stupid ass Hussein has printed so much paper that the dollar is a joke.

P.S., watch the stock market after the first. Crash II is comin'.

Steve Jobs
11-26-2009, 09:14 AM
Gobble Gobble!!!