PDA

View Full Version : Official Austin Toros '09-'10 Season Thread

AFBlue
11-25-2009, 05:45 PM
The Austin Toros kick off their '09-10 season this Friday, 27 November against the Rio Grande Valley Vipers and I thought it would be good to give a preview of the squad.

A big part of that squad is Curtis Jerrells, an undrafted PG out of Baylor. Jerrells was a training camp invitee and late cut for the Spurs. Jerrells is a big playmaking score-first PG that should do well in the d-league. If his first pre-season game was any indication (23pts, 7rebs, 5asts, 2stls, 1blk), he'll do well.

Another training camp invitee was Center Duane Jones. Jones bounced around the D-League last year, but posted more than respectable numbers at every stop. He ended up with the Toros for the playoffs and they brought him back again this year. Jones is a big body, which is a rarity in the d-league, so he should be very useful this year.

The Toros also drafted G/F Alonzo Gee earlier this month. Gee, you may remember, was a part of the Spurs summer league team. He brings a big dose of athleticism and energy. Both of which he showcased in the pre-season game, collecting a double-double with 31pts (9-15 from field, 13-18 from line) and 10 boards. He also had 3asts, 4blks and a steal. His versatility to play multiple positions should be invaluable for the Toros going forward.

The most notable returning player (other than Jones) is PG Carldell "Squeaky" Johnson. Johnson will be relegated to a reserve role with Jerrells at the point, but he should still get plenty of burn.

The two other players that stood out in the pre-season game were also recent d-league draftees.....guards Russell Carter and Lewis Clinch. I don't know much about either, but Clinch poured in 23 points (10-14 from field including 3-5 from deep) in less than 20 minutes, and Carter, who started, put up 15 on 7 of 9 from the field. I'm not sure how either will factor long-term, but if they can keep up that kind of offensive production it'll be big for the Toros.

Again, I just wanted to open up a thread to have discussion on various Toros players and games as the season wears on. I'm by no means an expert (will leave that to Chump and others), and I would love to hear thoughts or even see photos (not local). Who knows, we could be looking at a couple players that "grow up" in the system and become viable options for the Spurs down the road.

I'm looking forward to a good season...go Toros!

silverblackfan
11-25-2009, 06:56 PM
What ever happened to Gist? Did he go back overseas?

tp2021
11-25-2009, 08:43 PM
I didn't think he was still eligible?

biziofromdowntown
11-26-2009, 12:49 AM
Yes he went back overseas.

I hope we send Ian down to the D-League. Way I figure that will be his best chance to prove something.

Do u know where?

AFBlue
11-26-2009, 09:35 PM
I don't think anyone knows where Gist is and Ian is no longer eligible to play for the Toros. Their opening day roster is firm and pretty damn good. Seemingly the only additions they could have in the short term would be Hairston and/or Blair...but I doubt either will see the Toros at all this year.

AFBlue
11-26-2009, 09:39 PM
Good article on Jerrells...looks like Snyder and the staff will count on him to be a big part of the team.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/2009/11/27/1127toros.html

AUSTIN TOROS

Now on same side, Toros coach roots for Jerrels
By David Robb

AMERICAN-STATESMAN

Friday, November 27, 2009

When Curtis Jerrells was allocated to the Austin Toros earlier this month, coach Quin Snyder needed no introduction to the rookie point guard.

Nearly four years ago, in what wound up being his final game as Missouri's basketball coach, Snyder and the Tigers traveled to Waco for a Big 12 Conference clash against Baylor.

"That was actually one of my best games," Jerrells recalled.

Snyder remembers that game, too. How could he forget the time Jerrells, then a freshman, poured in a game-high 28 points and led Baylor to a 90-64 trouncing of Missouri?

"I told him I don't remember that," Snyder said. "I'll never admit that to him."

These days, Snyder wouldn't mind seeing more performances like that from Jerrells. In fact, he'll be expecting those types of nights from his young floor leader.

"We're counting on him to be the anchor of our team in a lot of ways," said Snyder, the NBA Development League's reigning coach of the year. "At 22 years old, I think he's got his best basketball ahead of him."

Jerrells should feel right at home with the Toros, who tip off the D-League season tonight at home against Rio Grande Valley. After all, Austin is home to the Del Valle grad. After his standout career with the Cardinals, his No. 0 jersey was the first in program history to be retired.

"I didn't ever think I'd be this close to home," said Jerrells, who grew up working concessions at University of Texas football games to raise money for his AAU basketball teams. "I'm right in my back yard."

Of course, if it were up to Jerrells, he wouldn't be here. If things had gone according to plan, he would have been selected in the NBA draft last June.

When his name wasn't called, the Dallas Mavericks scooped him up and placed him on their summer-league roster. Jerrells also was invited to training camp with the San Antonio Spurs before being allocated to the Toros.

"It was good for me," Jerrells said of not being drafted. "It kind of raised my intensity and my determination. I'm here now, and this is another opportunity. I'm thankful for the opportunity, and I'm ready to make the best of it."

Snyder is counting on him to replace the prolific production of Marcus Williams, who ran the point for the Toros much of last season before being called up to the NBA.

Jerrells showcased his skills in the Toros' 101-98 exhibition victory over Rio Grande Valley last Saturday. He scored 23 points to go with seven rebounds, five assists and two steals.

"I can see him having a 30-point game," Snyder said. "I can see him having a 13-point game with 11 assists — doing whatever he needs to do to help his team win."

ChumpDumper
11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Austin, TX November 25, 2009 - The Austin Toros announced today the opening night roster for the 2009-10 season after waiving Jawan Bailey and Quemont Greer in the final cuts of this year's training camp. The roster now stands at 10.

PLAYER POS. HT WT FROM

21 Justin Bowen F 6-7 210 Illinois- Chicago

7 Ryan Bright F 6-6 210 Sam Houston State

9 Russell Carter SG 6-5 220 Notre Dame

15 Lewis Clinch G 6-3 195 Georgia Tech

23 Alonzo Gee G 6-6 219 Alabama

0 Curtis Jerrells G 6-1 190 Baylor

10 Carldell Johnson G 5-10 180 Alabama-Birmingham

44 Dwayne Jones F/C 6-10 250 St. Joseph's, PA

24 David McClure F 6-6 205 Duke

41 Augustine Okosun C 6-10 230 Northwood University

The Toros tip-off the season this Friday, November 27th against the RGV Vipers at 7:30p.m. at the Austin Convention Center. Tickets are available now by calling the Toros office at (512) 236-8333 or visiting austintoros.com.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3933735

The waiving of Greer in favor of some total scrubs is a surprise as he has been a productive D-League player for a few years. Roderick Riley had been waived earlier due to injury, so I imagine he will return at some point, probably in place of Okosun. If that's the way things end up, it's going to be a weird team with two huge, slow centers and undersized players in pretty much every other slot.

I think coach Snyder has his work cut out for him if this is going to be the lineup for the entire season -- but history says that this won't be the case at all.

Someone shot some video of the exhibition game:

Q3hpFNT_NuY

AFBlue
11-27-2009, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the update CD.

Are you going to the first game?

Edit: That question is for anyone...post-game thoughts would be appreciated.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2009, 01:00 AM
Yeah, their schedule sucks so badly this season I won't be able to see a lot of them, but I'll make this weekend at least.

Darkwaters
11-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Jerrells looks good in that video. That block was sweet. But does he fade away from every shot he takes? Even the uncontested ones? Still, he looked good.

This definitely seems like a team made for Malik Hairston to come in and run. If hes not getting time in the big club I'd love to see him down in Austin and see what he can do this year without his old running mate Marcus Williams.

Spurs Brazil
11-28-2009, 08:52 AM
Any news on M.Williams?

pablo3po
11-28-2009, 09:11 AM
Williams is going to China to play. But Malik is doing Color Commentary on the games now.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2009, 10:12 AM
Marcus was at the game last night; I don't doubt pablo3po. Too bad he couldn't catch on in a better league.

Spurs Brazil
11-28-2009, 11:27 AM
2. D-League Preview

Here's our annual flurry of factoids to get you ready for the ninth season of the NBA Development League, which had 63 alumni on NBA opening night rosters. The D-League's 16 teams tip off their 50-game schedules Friday night.

The four teams operated by NBA franchises: Austin Toros (Spurs), Los Angeles D-Fenders (Lakers), Rio Grande Valley Vipers (Rockets) and Tulsa 66ers (Thunder).

The Toros, D-Fenders and 66ers are fully owned by their parent clubs, but Houston's affiliation with Rio Grande is the first example of the NBA's new "hybrid" model. The hybrid option enables NBA franchises -- for a three-year commitment that costs up to $1.5 million -- to fully control the basketball-operations side of a D-League team while leaving the business side to the minor league team's original owners.

The Rockets inaugurated their new hybrid affiliation with Rio Grande by holding this season's training camp at the Vipers' home in McAllen, Texas. Houston also played the Boston Celtics in a preseason exhibition game there.

The player you'll recognize most:Robert Swift will play for his hometown Bakersfield Jam after multiple knee injuries with Seattle/Oklahoma City left the famously (infamously?) tattooed 7-footer without an NBA team. Swift, who turns 24 next week, was taken No. 12 overall in the 2004 draft by the Sonics.

The history-making rookie: Brandon Jennings (Italy) and Jeremy Tyler (Israel) went overseas straight from high school to study for the NBA, but Tulsa's Latavious Williams is the first high schooler to go straight to the D-League after being selected with the last pick of the D-League draft's first round (No. 16 overall) on Nov. 5.

Williams ultimately was persuaded to start his pro journey on U.S. soil as opposed to going abroad, undoubtedly helped by the knowledge that 20 percent of NBA players at the conclusion of the 2008-09 season had D-League experience, something no other pro league in the world can claim. The 6-foot-8 forward will be eligible for the 2010 NBA draft.

The three NBA players currently on D-League assignment: Houston's Joey Dorsey (Rio Grande Valley Vipers), Oklahoma City's Byron Mullens (Tulsa 66ers) and Boston's Bill Walker (Maine Red Claws).

The first call-up: It already happened. Chris Hunter of the Fort Wayne Mad Ants was summoned out of training camp by the Golden State Warriors last week after an All-Star season in the D-League in 2008-09 that was punctuated by a call-up to the New York Knicks on the final day of the regular season.

The Knicks, though, didn't play the 6-11, 240-pound big man in April's finale. Hunter had to wait until his first game as a Warrior for his NBA breakthrough, totaling four points and three rebounds in 14 minutes of Golden State's recent home upset of Portland.

After being granted a hardship waiver to temporarily carry 16 players (one more than the league limit) because it has so many injuries, Golden State chose Hunter on the recommendation of Warriors assistant coach Scott Roth, who served as Bakersfield's coach last season.

The coaching carousel: Austin Ainge, son of Celtics personnel boss Danny Ainge, is the first coach of the Celts' D-league affiliate in Maine, assisted by longtime NBA guard Randy Livingston. Ex-Celtics guard Dee Brown, meanwhile, is the first coach of the expansion Springfield Armor.

Another former NBA player -- Chucky Brown -- has been elevated by the Lakers from assistant to head coach of the D-Fenders. And Austin's Quin Snyder, whom you surely remember from his college coaching days at Missouri, has been joined this season in Texas by Rio Grande's Chris Finch, who doubles as Luol Deng's coach with Great Britain's national team.

Roth, Bryan Gates (former coach of the Idaho Stampede) and Robert Pack (an assistant with Rio Grande last season after retiring as a player) all moved to the NBA as assistant coaches this season with Golden State, Sacramento and New Orleans, respectively.

The future: Nancy Lieberman will debut as the D-League's first female coach next season when an expansion franchise begins play in Frisco, Texas, co-owned by Mavericks president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson.

The compensation: D-League players are placed in one of three classifications (A, B or C) based on experience and earn salaries of $25,500, $19,000 or $13,000. Swift, for example, is at the $25,500 mark after making (gulp) $3.6 million with the Thunder last season.

Daily per diem on road trips has been increased from $30 to $40 this season, compared to $113 in the NBA. The D-League also provides housing and medical care to players to offset the comparatively low salaries in relation to what foreign teams pay.

The buyout rules: Foreign teams that wish to extricate D-League players from their current contracts must pay between $15,000 and $45,000 depending on the player's salary.

The All-Star Game: It will again be staged in conjunction with the NBA's All-Star Weekend, starting with a Friday night skills competition and the actual game Saturday afternoon at the Dallas Convention Center in Dallas.

League sources say one idea for the All-Star Game still under consideration would pit D-Leaguers on assignment from NBA against D-League stars with no NBA affiliation.

The NBA D-League Showcase: All 16 teams will convene in Boise, Idaho, from Jan. 4-7 for a total of 16 games in four days, all of which will be televised on NBA TV. Each D-League team will play two games at the showcase in addition to its 24 home games and 24 road games, with executives and scouts from all 30 NBA teams in attendance.

The playoff format: The D-League is bringing back the innovative system introduced last season that enables the East and West division winners and a third team with the next-best record to choose their first-round opponents from the bottom four seeds.

Eight of the D-League's 16 teams qualify for the playoffs, with the first round expanded this season from a one-game showdown to a best-of-three series.

The two division winners and the next six best teams based on record qualify for the playoffs.

(We wrote extensively about this format in the spring because NBA commissioner David Stern said at the time that it would be studied for possible down-the-road implementation in the NBA … which would be as radical as anything the NBA has ever tried but most welcomed here.)

The favorite to win it all: There isn't one. Conventional D-League wisdom holds that every team will spend some time during the season in the top five and the bottom five of the mythical D-League power rankings because rosters are always changing.

The only negative on this scorecard (because we've always been minor league junkies at Stein Line HQ): No Cal State Fullerton alumni on D-League rosters at the minute.

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/page/dime-091127-28/latest-nba-chatter

benefactor
11-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Box score from last night:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020900005

Gee had a nice game...Jerrells, not so much. It looks like he did a good job getting to the line but was pretty bad everywhere else. 6 turnovers and only 3 assists.

Mel_13
11-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Box score from last night:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020900005

Gee had a nice game...Jerrells, not so much. It looks like he did a good job getting to the line but was pretty bad everywhere else. 6 turnovers and only 3 assists.

Joey Dorsey 1-9 FT :wow

ChumpDumper
11-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Jones played pretty good defense on Dorsey all night. He seems to be altering more shots than last season.

Ball movement was horrible all night except when Squeaky was in the game. Turned into a tedious trading of baskets between Gee and Antonio Anderson late.

Jerrells had some trouble guarding the small and quick Kenny Dawkins but got better late. Kurt Looby was setting some really good picks for Dawkins to free him up.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2009, 09:06 PM
FYI: They switched the futurecast to the same flash video they used in summer league. Looks ok, and the production is a lot better since Grande is showing home games on their cable system. Malik Rose is doing color commentary.

benefactor
12-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Tonight's game:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020900017

Gee continues to light up the scoreboard. What's the skinny on him? Does he score more on penetration? How is his jumper?

ChumpDumper
12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Malik is doing color for the Austin Toros?Yes.

And just to clear things up; Ian can still play in the D-League if both Ian and the Spurs agree to send him to Austin. Same goes for Tim Duncan, Tony Parker and Manu but the team won't want to send rotation players down of course and most players would rather be in the NBA even if they are not playing. More of a lifestyle thing if you ask me. First class hotels and transportation. Coaches see you on a daily basis etc.No.

ChumpDumper
12-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Tonight's game:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020900017

Gee continues to light up the scoreboard. What's the skinny on him? Does he score more on penetration? How is his jumper?His jumper is good out to about 16 feet or so. He has a good first step and draws a lot of contact. Gets to the line very often. Doesn't rebound or defend as well as his physicality would suggest. Kind of a D-League Corey Maggette.

Ball movement is getting much better though Gee, Carter and especially Clinch are black holes -- only Gee's ball-hogging is decently justified.

BJ Mullens is one of the softest centers I have ever seen. I'm stunned he got picked in the first round over Blair or anyone else for that matter.

Blackjack
01-29-2010, 01:05 PM
Los Angeles D-Fenders 103, Austin Toros 119 (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/29/los-angeles-d-fenders-103-austin-toros-119/)
by Andrew A. McNeil

Amidst the crazy partying for the arrival (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/27/party-in-austin/) of PTR’s LatinD in the Live Music Capitol of the World (http://www.poundingtherock.com/2010/1/26/1270852/ptr-represent-meet-latind-in) and the petitions passed around (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/01/28/toros-help-honor-the-late-dennis-johnson/) to enshrine former Toros coach Dennis Johnson in the Hall of Fame, there was a basketball game played at the Austin Convention Center on Thursday night.

Curtis Jerrells led the way for the Austin Toros with 25 points, six rebounds, eight assists and four steals as the Toros won their fifth straight game, beating the Los Angeles D-Fenders 119-103. The win solidifies the Toros position as the second seed in the D-League’s Western Conference, 3.5 games behind the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (the Houston Rockets D-League affiliate).

Despite an obvious size and athleticism advantage (Austin out-rebounded Los Angeles in the game 55-28), the Toros went into halftime up only one point, 56-55. Austin had trouble slowing down the D-Fenders 5′7″ point guard Horace Wormely, who scored 17 points on 7-10 shooting. On a number of occasions, Wormely went coast-to-coast for layups that the Toros transition defense was helpless to stop.

But early in the fourth quarter, Toros coach Quin Snyder got more animated on the sidelines when his team was playing defense. The motivational tactic seemed to work and Austin got the requisite stops to pull away from the D-Fenders.

Malik Hairston scored 22 points, grabbed five rebounds and handed out 10 assists, and the D-League’s top rebounder, Dwayne Jones, grabbed another 17 boards to go with 14 points.

The Toros take on the D-Fenders again tonight at the Austin Convention Center.

yavozerb
01-29-2010, 01:12 PM
Damn, my bad guys, I just started another thread on this earlier today cause I couldn't find a toros thread. Here is the box score for the game and if someone could erase my other thread that would be great. http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/box...eId=2020900175

Blackjack
01-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Damn, my bad guys, I just started another thread on this earlier today cause I couldn't find a toros thread. Here is the box score for the game and if someone could erase my other thread that would be great. http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/box...eId=2020900175

It's all good.:toast

I almost started one about a week ago, but stopped myself when I remembered seeing one a while back (I just never got around to using the search and forgot about it).

Blackjack
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM
Malik Hairston scored 22 points, grabbed five rebounds and handed out 10 assists, and the D-League’s top rebounder, Dwayne Jones, grabbed another 17 boards to go with 14 points.

:tu

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Hairston's passing has improved dramatically from what I've seen so far, even in his NBA garbage minutes..

That was one of his main flaws as a player last year, he was a horrible passer..good to see that he's improved that part of his game..

ChumpDumper
01-29-2010, 04:48 PM
The Toros are on a five game win streak. Ironically, they play small ball exclusively.

Tonight is the first weekend game in God knows how long; it was pretty close to being sold out last week. The schedule sucks ass this season.

Next Tuesday and Wednesday they are playing in the new Cedar Park Event Center. Should be really nice, even though tolls and parking are going to put you back about $12 before even walking through the door.

AFBlue
01-29-2010, 04:55 PM
The Toros are on a five game win streak. Ironically, they play small ball exclusively.

Tonight is the first weekend game in God knows how long; it was pretty close to being sold out last week. The schedule sucks ass this season.

Next Tuesday and Wednesday they are playing in the new Cedar Park Event Center. Should be really nice, even though tolls and parking are going to put you back about $12 before even walking through the door.

At least their small ball players (Gee, Hairston, and even Jerrells) can rebound...probably the biggest issue with the Spurs' "smalls".

AFBlue
01-29-2010, 06:59 PM
Has anyone been to or seen games that can tell me how Jerrells is playing? I see the stats (20+pts, 5+asts), but they can only tell you so much. Most importantly, I'd like to know how he's doing running the offense and picking up the system.

Any insight?

duncan228
01-29-2010, 07:10 PM
Piece on Jerrells from Hoopsworld today.

Curtis Jerrells: Learning in Austin (http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15124)
By: Alex Kennedy

Curtis Jerrells is a coach's best friend. He's a listener, a learner, and someone that will always do what is asked of him. Throughout his basketball career, that has meant many different things.

At Del Valle High School in Austin, Texas, it meant dominating the ball and leading his team to victory each and every night. At Baylor University, it meant adjusting to a three guard lineup in which he handled point guard duties but was once again asked to carry the scoring load.

But now that Jerrells is trying to turn his dream of playing in the NBA into a reality, it means running an offense, getting other players involved, and proving that he can be a true point guard.

"I've always been viewed differently. I've always tried to do what my team needed me to do. In the past, that has meant scoring. That's kind of been the thing, now people want to see if I can run a team, be a leader, set up an offense, and get other guys involved," said the point guard. "That's one of the things I'm trying to focus on doing but it's in my nature to score the ball."

Last September, the San Antonio Spurs signed Jerrells to their training camp roster. While the Spurs came away impressed, the Texas native is hard on himself when looking back on the experience. "I was playing tight and trying to be mistake free," he says. "I didn't feel like myself. I was uptight rather than playing my game and being confident."

While he didn't make the team, the Spurs saw his potential and offered him a spot playing for their NBA Development League team, the Austin Toros. Jerrells has used this opportunity as a chance to show the Spurs just how effective he can be when comfortable and playing his game. He is averaging 21.6 points, 5.3 assists, 4.4 rebounds, and 2.0 steals and his stellar play is the main reason the Toros currently hold the second seed in the West.

However, it's not just his numbers that have been impressive. Jerrells is putting in extra work with Toros' head coach Quin Snyder who has helped him further adjust to being a true point guard.

"I realize that at the next level, they're not going to need me to come in and score twenty points," says Jerrells. "I'm going to have to come in and get guys, who are the real scorers, the ball where they want it."

While he understands that teams want to be sure he can run an offense, he lists his defense as his biggest strength. The Spurs praised his defensive effort and strength during camp and he says it helps separate him from other point guards. "I'm a bigger guard, not in terms of height but I've got a bigger body and I'm strong which helps me defend guys at my position. I loved Chauncey Billups [growing up] because he's big and physical, sort of like myself. I see a lot of myself in Chauncey, I'm just the left handed version," he says with a laugh.

After San Antonio offered him a spot in the Development League, Jerrells knew he had to take the opportunity rather than head overseas.

"Every time I play and step onto the court, I'm auditioning for every team. My main reason [for choosing the Development League] is this is something I really want to do. I love the game. I didn't just run off and take the money right now. I sat down and thought about it and right now my family is well enough so I don't have to go run out and make some cash as soon as possible," he explains. "I just wanted to give myself a chance. Teams can watch tape of you while you're out there but I feel like if you're out of sight, you're out of mind so I just wanted to stay here, give myself an opportunity, and just learn."

One difficult aspect of playing the Development League is seeing other players called up. While you're happy for the player and wish them luck, it's always frustrating when you're name isn't the one called.

"Everything happens for a reason. I'm happy for those guys, we're all in the same position and we're all trying to get to the same place. Del Demps, our general manager, always tells me that you can't get caught up in that kind of stuff. There's going to be times where a guy gets called up and you think, 'Man, how did that guy get a call-up' or 'How did he get called up and I didn't?' But you can't go through that because if you do, you start losing focus in what you're trying to do. To the guys who have gotten call ups, I hope they make the best of their opportunity and I congratulate them. I'm just going to keep working because my time will come," says Jerrells.

Austin has had the most call-ups in Development League history, accounting for over sixteen percent of players who have successfully made the jump to the NBA, so Jerrells is in the right place. Once he gets that opportunity, he's not going to let it slip away again. He has learned his lesson

"I don't know when I will get called up. That's up to God," he says. "But I still feel like I can [be an elite point guard] and when I get that chance, when I get there, I'm going to be me and play my game."

ChumpDumper
01-29-2010, 07:37 PM
He's doing well with pick and rolls with Dwayne Jones, and he does a good job getting his own shot. Could do better directing players. I'm disappointed in his defense; he keeps getting lit up by opposing point guards, even though he scores as many or more points.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Another 30 for Hairston tonight..

TJastal
01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
Another 30 for Hairston tonight..

*sigh*.........

TJastal
01-29-2010, 11:12 PM
How many more 1-6 games does Pop need to see form Bogans to finally make a switch to Malik?...

:bang

benefactor
01-29-2010, 11:16 PM
I don't know why the Spurs wouldn't want to bring him back...especially with Parker down and the wings getting PG time

Obstructed_View
01-29-2010, 11:16 PM
How many more 1-6 games does Pop need to see form Bogans to finally make a switch to Malik?...

:bang

Pop seems to think if Bogans scores three points a game that it makes him a defender. He had Bruce for so many years he's taking it for granted.

HarlemHeat37
01-29-2010, 11:18 PM
The thing is, Hairston IS a better defender than Bogans..the only time I've seen Hairston get beat defensively in his NBA time was when he was guarding Deron Williams off the ball, which is obviously a really tough matchup..

Hairston simply has better physical tools than Bogans does..he's much quicker and much more athletic..Pop obviously plays him for his age/experience in the NBA..

TJastal
01-29-2010, 11:31 PM
Hairston could easily play a role similar to the '05 Devin Brown, 7-8 pts a game and inject alot of life and athleticism esp into the fast break/up tempo game.

Obstructed_View
01-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Another thing many might overlook is the fact that Hairston is shooting 52% from three point range.

Bruno
01-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Spurs were short handed on the perimeter against Grizzlies but Spurs are really careful with calling up Hairston given that they can do it only 3 times per year.

It is bot a bad and good news for Hairston:
- Spurs not using every opportunity to give playing time to him is a sign that they don't count on him for this year.
- Spurs obviously care about his development and want to let him improve his game in Austin instead of spending his time on the IL because everybody is healthy and he has already been send 3 times in D-League.

Malik will likely get a legit shot next year. Spurs have invested a lot of time and money on him.

TJastal
01-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Spurs were short handed on the perimeter against Grizzlies but Spurs are really careful with calling up Hairston given that they can do it only 3 times per year.

It is bot a bad and good news for Hairston:
- Spurs not using every opportunity to give playing time to him is a sign that they don't count on him for this year.
- Spurs obviously care about his development and want to let him improve his game in Austin instead of spending his time on the IL because everybody is healthy and he has already been send 3 times in D-League.

Malik will likely get a legit shot next year. Spurs have invested a lot of time and money on him.

Nah, he'll still be buried on IR or end of the bench. If he's lucky he might get Finley's role as an occasional off the bench player. Bogans will be the new Finley and play until he's 40 years old.

TJastal
01-30-2010, 01:21 AM
I predict 5 years from now if Pop is still coaching we will be all joking about Pop's man crush on 35 year old Bogans and talking about "needing more athleticism" and watching Pop's latest draftees trying to crack the rotation and failing because of said man-crush.

Hairston will be long gone and starting on some other team and averaging 16 pts a game.

Bruno
01-30-2010, 01:22 AM
:rolleyes

ChumpDumper
01-30-2010, 01:30 AM
Hairston's D, as well as that of all the Toros, wasn't all that great tonight. It was kind of funny when Malik was put on LA's 5'7" guard.

ElNono
01-30-2010, 01:30 AM
I predict 5 years from now if Pop is still coaching we will be all joking about Pop's man crush on 35 year old Bogans and talking about "needing more athleticism" and watching Pop's latest draftees trying to crack the rotation and failing because of said man-crush.

Hairston will be long gone and starting on some other team and averaging 16 pts a game.

:violin

Obstructed_View
01-30-2010, 08:55 AM
Hairston's D, as well as that of all the Toros, wasn't all that great tonight. It was kind of funny when Malik was put on LA's 5'7" guard.

Yeah, it's a little disappointing to me that he's not concentrating more on his defense. Whether or not anyone thinks he's a better defender than Bogans isn't going to get Hairston a shot with the Spurs if he's not making a case with the Toros.

yavozerb
01-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Boxscore of fridays game:http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020900179

spursbird
01-30-2010, 11:22 AM
Wow, Hairston is such a beast in D-league. He's LBJ or Wade of D-league.

Obstructed_View
01-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Wow, Hairston is such a beast in D-league. He's LBJ or Wade of D-league.

Whichever one he is, Coby Karl is the other.

Blackjack
02-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Toros’ Jones and Gee Named D-League All-Stars (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/02/02/toros-jones-and-gee-named-d-league-all-stars/#more-6335)
by Andrew A. McNeil

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/alonzo_gee1.jpg

Two Austin Toros were named D-League All-Stars on Tuesday. Center Dwayne Jones, who averages 17.8 points per game and leads the D-League with 15.2 rebounds per game and 21 double-doubles, and guard Alonzo Gee, averaging 20.6 points per game, were each named to the team.

Per the press release:

“The NBA D-League All-Star game is not only a fantastic opportunity for the fans in Dallas to see an exceptionally talented group of NBA prospects compete in person,” said Chris Alpert, Vice President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel for the NBA D-League. “It is also a great chance for our players to showcase their skills for NBA team personnel who will gather for the All-Star festivities.”

A pair of Austin Toros, Alonzo Gee and Dwayne Jones, and a trio of Rio Grande Valley Vipers, Antonio Anderson, Joey Dorsey, and Mike Harris will make Texas fans proud when they travel to Dallas to headline the West team. Jones, a veteran from St. Joseph’s (PA), has played in 80 NBA games, and leads the NBA D-League with 15.3 rebounds per game and field goal percentage (62 percent), while Gee, a rookie out of Alabama, is sixth in the league in scoring (21.0 ppg).

It’s a bit of a surprise that Gee was named to the All-Star team instead of Toros point guard Curtis Jerrells. Jerrells is averaging 21 points per game (which is second on the team to Spurs assignee Malik Hairston’s 30.3 ppg), 4.5 rebounds per game, and 5 assists per game, in addition to quarterbacking the team to a 15-9 record. The Toros are currently riding a six-game winning streak.

However, guard Sundiata Gaines was named an All-Star from the Idaho Stampede. Gaines was recently called up, and signed for the remainder of the season, by the Utah Jazz, so he will be replaced. It’s possible that Jerrells could take Gaines’ spot on the All-Star roster.

Starters and replacements for the All-Star game will be named by each head coach before the game on Saturday, February 13. The two head coaches are Rio Grande Valley head coach Chris Finch and Iowa head coach Nick Nurse for the East and West, respectively.

ChumpDumper
02-02-2010, 07:18 PM
Toros play in a real arena tonight and tomorrow in Cedar Park. Should be fun.

yavozerb
02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Sounds like fun, give us some post game reviews...

robino2001
02-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Toros play in a real arena tonight and tomorrow in Cedar Park. Should be fun.

I came looking for this thread to see if anyone went to the games the last two nights to see how it was. I'd imagine it'd be a fantastic arena for basketball. I've been once for a Stars game... loved the arena for what it is but won't be going back for many Stars games. I'm an Avs fan and the whole Stars thing just made me feel dirty - that and the outrageous $10 parking fees.

benefactor
02-04-2010, 10:19 PM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/games/boxscore.jsp?gameId=2020900195

Box score from last night. I noticed our old buddy Desmond Farmer plays for Reno. I thought he had used up his D-League eligibility.

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2010, 08:15 PM
Toros look good tonight, they just exploded in the last few minutes of the half..Jerrells and Hairston had a very sexy reverse alley-oop in the last minute, good half..

TJastal
02-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Hairston's line: 23pts, 7reb, 3ast, 3blocks

Just makes me sick to think what this kid would be doing in Bogan's role this year. Thanks, POop you moron.

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2010, 09:18 PM
LOL Malik just got ejected for coming from across the court and shoving an opponent that committed a hard foul on one of the other Toros..gotta love a guy with balls, the soft Spurs need some of that..it was definitely an overreaction from Hairston, but damn, the Spurs could use some toughness..

yavozerb
02-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Malik's not dumb either, you do something like that when the game is already in hand. I like the way the toros have been looking of late, low turnover rate and good amount of assists.

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2010, 09:27 PM
It was a rough game all night, so it wasn't that surprising..Hairston and Almond were jawing at each other all night and they both committed a hard foul on each other in this game..

timvp
02-06-2010, 10:18 PM
That ejection is going to have Pop pissed. Pop preaches that no matter what you don't lose your cool. Personally, I think it's a good thing to have a player willing to stick up for his teammates ... but Pop thinks the complete opposite.

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
Well, he wasn't going to play this year anyways..

timvp
02-06-2010, 10:22 PM
Well, he wasn't going to play this year anyways..

Hopefully Snyder and Demps burn the tape so Hairston may have a chance to play next year . . .

HarlemHeat37
02-06-2010, 10:25 PM
You really think an ejection would affect Pop's thought process about his game going into next season?..that would be hilarious..

timvp
02-06-2010, 10:26 PM
You really think an ejection would affect Pop's thought process about his game going into next season?..that would be hilarious..

I've seen weirder.

timtonymanu
02-06-2010, 10:36 PM
That ejection is going to have Pop pissed. Pop preaches that no matter what you don't lose your cool. Personally, I think it's a good thing to have a player willing to stick up for his teammates ... but Pop thinks the complete opposite.

yeah Pop is too strict with that. He's needs to loosen up a bit. Hey he's got ejected a few times himself. It happens. But yeah sticking up is what the Spurs need not this soft "walk away" shit.

HarlemHeat37
02-07-2010, 04:21 AM
Hairston's shove is on the highlights of the game on NBA.com..it looks worse for him from that view since there wasn't a real altercation happening before he came in and shoved the other guy..pretty stupid of Malik either way..

TJastal
02-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Hairston's shove is on the highlights of the game on NBA.com..it looks worse for him from that view since there wasn't a real altercation happening before he came in and shoved the other guy..pretty stupid of Malik either way..

The spurs could use a guy like this...a guy who will come in pissed off enough to block some shots and rip the rim off the supports.

HarlemHeat37
02-08-2010, 10:15 PM
Another 32 for Malik tonight..

Toros are 9-2 since he got sent down..Toros >>> Spurs..:depressed

HarlemHeat37
02-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Another good W for the Toros..they had their usual 2nd half dominance..

Hairston with 29-9, had a solid game except for trying too hard to make difficult passes..he's leading the D-league in scoring on very good efficiency..

The team has just been dominant during this stretch..

ivanfromwestwood
02-10-2010, 10:52 PM
I've seen weirder.i once saw finley guard a 7 foot player for long stretches.

Blackjack
03-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Dwayne Jones still looking for his shot
by Andrew A. McNeil

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jones-240x300.jpg

Dwayne Jones is visibly frustrated. You’d think a guy who just put up 26 points and 14 rebounds against first round draft pick Byron Mullens, in a win over his team’s conference rival, would look happier.

The 6′11″ center stands in his socks, game shorts and un-tucked jersey in the hallway outside the Toros locker room at the Austin Convention Center talking to Dell Demps. Demps, the Toros General Manager and Spurs Director of Pro Player Personnel, is doing everything he can to reassure Jones that eventually he’ll have a chance to play in the NBA again.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/09/dwayne-jones-still-looking-for-his-shot/#more-6904)

ace3g
03-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Alonzo Gee had 13 pts, 10 boards, 2 steals in 26 minutes tonight with the Wizards

Blackjack
03-25-2010, 12:03 PM
Springfield Armor 89, Austin Toros 118
by Andrew A. McNeil

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jerrells1.jpg

AUSTIN CONVENTION CENTER – The Austin Toros sat in second place in the D-League’s West Conference going into Wednesday night’s game against the Springfield Armor, the second of a back-to-back with Springfield. The Armor were positioned in last place in the West conference, a full 12 games behind the Toros in the standings.

In the end, not much changed.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/25/springfield-armor-89-austin-toros-118/#more-7102)

boutons_deux
03-25-2010, 12:10 PM
Spurs are developing and using great talent in their Toros farm club.

Blackjack
03-29-2010, 11:45 AM
Austin Toros 122, Bakersfield Jam 110
by Andrew A. McNeill

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/badsen.jpg

AUSTIN CONVENTION CENTER – As the Austin Toros march closer to the D-League Playoffs, it seems like personnel decisions are overshadowing every game recently.

First, it was the return of Marcus Williams to Austin. Then, it was the San Antonio Spurs signing Curtis Jerrells (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/24/curtis-jerrells-called-up-to-spurs-sent-down-to-austin/) for the rest of the season and reassigning him to Austin. And now, it appears that the Spurs have signed former Toro Alonzo Gee to a contract for the rest of the season (http://www.ridiculousupside.com/2010/3/29/1394643/source-spurs-to-sign-alonzo-gee), where the Spurs will most likely reassign him to Austin.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/29/austin-toros-122-bakersfield-jam-110/#more-7159)

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2010, 12:19 PM
The spurs could use a guy like this...a guy who will come in pissed off enough to block some shots and rip the rim off the supports.

we never had an enforcer on this team when tony machoman massenburg retired :( :(

TDMVPDPOY
03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
this team is a trophy magnet, how many trophies have they collected so far besides the annual participation trophies?

Blackjack
03-31-2010, 12:16 PM
Austin Toros 101, Los Angeles D-Fenders 94
by Andrew A. McNeill

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/jones1.jpg

AUSTIN CONVENTION CENTER – For three quarters, the Austin Toros couldn’t get much of anything right. There were deflected passes, cut-off driving lanes and missed shots. Entering the fourth quarter, the Toros faced a 80-64 deficit and showed no signs of turning it around.

But they did.

Austin went on a 16-6 run to start the fourth quarter and tie the game at 86 all with about five minutes remaining in the game, and finished the game on a 9-2 run to beat the Los Angeles D-Fenders 101-94.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/03/31/austin-toros-101-los-angeles-d-fenders-94/#more-7196)

ChumpDumper
04-01-2010, 03:43 AM
Sorry you had to see that one -- but that was some shooting display by Ehambe, wasn't it?

FlAVaK
04-03-2010, 05:03 PM
Suns to add big man (Dwayne Jones) (http://www.azcentral.com/members/Blog/PaulCoro/77441)

"Jones would get two practices before the Suns play again Wednesday at home against San Antonio. Jones is a 6-foot-11, 250-pounder who averaged 17.6 points, 16.0 rebounds and 1.8 blocks in 40.0 minutes per game for the Austin Toros. He likely will be held out of the Toros' final two games to avoid injury. ... Jones' contract will include a second-year team option."

Nice for him. Bad for the Toros/Spurs...

Ryvin1
04-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Sorry you had to see that one -- but that was some shooting display by Ehambe, wasn't it?

Man that was a fun game to watch... sadly Toros could not get a stop or a board without Jones in there. The other big getting hurt they just brought in didn't help much.

ChumpDumper
04-03-2010, 05:36 PM
Man that was a fun game to watch... sadly Toros could not get a stop or a board without Jones in there. The other big getting hurt they just brought in didn't help much.You talking about last night?

Yeah, Eric Dawson was having a great game too. He was playing Jones' role on the pick and roll very well. Hope he's able to play tonight and in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see if the Toros choose to fill Jones' spot and/or add Gee and Temple for the playoffs. I don't know who is available except maybe Justin Bowen.

Ryvin1
04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
You talking about last night?

Yeah, Eric Dawson was having a great game too. He was playing Jones' role on the pick and roll very well. Hope he's able to play tonight and in the playoffs. It'll be interesting to see if the Toros choose to fill Jones' spot and/or add Gee and Temple for the playoffs. I don't know who is available except maybe Justin Bowen.

Yeah, I was talking about the Friday game, seeing Dawson go down was sad. Glad the Toros got the win tonight, these Toros games are fun to watch and great seats are cheap! Toros need a big, and I'd love to see the spurs send down the end of the bench talent that won't play in the playoffs. Granted they would still need a big, Luke Bonner isn't cutting it.

Blackjack
04-04-2010, 01:56 AM
Austin Toros 104, Utah Flash 94
by Andrew A. McNeill

http://www.48minutesofhell.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/toros-huddle.jpg

AUSTIN CONVENTION CENTER – For the entire 2009-2010 season, the Austin Toros relied on their 3-point shooting to win games. The majority of their lineups featured the “4 out, 1 in” look, with some combination of four perimeter players orbiting one post player, usually Dwayne Jones. These lineups allowed the Toros to spread the floor and find open shots, while having a big man skilled enough to control the glass (mostly) by himself.

Keep reading → (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/04/03/austin-toros-104-utah-flash-94/#more-7299)

Austin Toros 115, Utah Flash 120 (http://www.48minutesofhell.com/2010/04/03/austin-toros-115-utah-flash-120/)

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 02:52 AM
Yeah, I was talking about the Friday game, seeing Dawson go down was sad. Glad the Toros got the win tonight, these Toros games are fun to watch and great seats are cheap! Toros need a big, and I'd love to see the spurs send down the end of the bench talent that won't play in the playoffs. Granted they would still need a big, Luke Bonner isn't cutting it.Fortunately, Dawson was suited up so I think he might be available for the playoffs.

The Toros were in a bind with Marcus Williams in foul trouble, but Eddie Basden overcame his aversion to scoring and put up 20 points. He and David McClure did a great job on the boards as well. Utah didn't have a serious post threat (though they tried to establish a couple), so they ended up going as small as the Toros and saw their shooting fall off a cliff in the fourth quarter.

Most of the top teams have had a talent drain similar to or greater than that of the Toros, so I don't see them at a terrible disadvantage in a multigame series.

Blackjack
04-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Have you heard anything about Gee, Chump?

I see him sitting behind the bench and it's got me thinking they're going to use him for their scout team; playing the role of Kobe and others a la White in '07.

ChumpDumper
04-04-2010, 03:08 AM
Have you heard anything about Gee, Chump?

I see him sitting behind the bench and it's got me thinking they're going to use him for their scout team; playing the role of Kobe and others a la White in '07.That's as good a guess as any. If they have any plans for sending one or two more players down for the playoffs, I can see why they would want to keep them with the Spurs while they are mainly on the road these couple of weeks. The chances for the Toros to miss the playoffs in their absence were very low.