PDA

View Full Version : Iverson announces retirement?

silverblackfan
11-25-2009, 11:32 PM
Allen Iverson Retires (http://www.nba.com/2009/news/11/25/iverson.retirement/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt1)?
The guy was a great baller, competitor and scorer. It's a shame if this is the end of his career.

greyforest
11-25-2009, 11:50 PM
i dont think he practiced enough

dbreiden83080
11-25-2009, 11:52 PM
Knicks passing was the right move but he'll be back

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-25-2009, 11:52 PM
can't believe not one team in the NBA wants him

exstatic
11-25-2009, 11:59 PM
can't believe not one team in the NBA wants him

Teams probably want him, just not as a centerpiece, and his ego will not accept less. Iverson is keeping Iverson out of the NBA.

dbreiden83080
11-26-2009, 12:05 AM
teams probably want him, just not as a centerpiece, and his ego will not accept less. Iverson is keeping iverson out of the nba.

+1

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-26-2009, 12:15 AM
Teams probably want him, just not as a centerpiece, and his ego will not accept less. Iverson is keeping Iverson out of the NBA.

100% agree :)

duhoh
11-26-2009, 01:19 AM
Iverson is keeping Iverson out of the NBA.

the TROOF!

lennyalderette
11-26-2009, 02:18 AM
great player, shitty ego.

timvp
11-26-2009, 02:36 AM

/thread

draft87
11-26-2009, 03:05 AM
i dont think he practiced enough

hahahahahaha

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-26-2009, 03:07 AM
In most cases you can judge a player on the way they finish their careers. I've had little doubt Iverson was going to end it like that.

Oh, and all you stupid amerikans will see how greek multi billionaires has offers him 3434234 million to quit the NBA and go plays in Europe.

Chieflion
11-26-2009, 03:16 AM
In most cases you can judge a player on the way they finish their careers. I've had little doubt Iverson was going to end it like that.

Oh, and all you stupid amerikans will see how greek multi billionaires has offers him 3434234 million to quit the NBA and go plays in Europe.
Memories of KBP rushing back to me.

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-26-2009, 03:18 AM
Memories of KBP rushing back to me.

I genuinely miss him :) well sometimes.

Xevious
11-26-2009, 03:23 AM
At this stage in his career, being an explosive scorer off the bench would help a lot of championship caliber teams. But as you said, he won't accept that.

It's a shame really. He could easily take the league minimum and be that one piece that gets a team over the hump and earn himself a ring.

SenorSpur
11-26-2009, 04:49 AM
If he wants back in bad enough, perhaps he'll learn to check his ego at the door. Unlikely.

Now that his decision is made, perhaps we can all move on with our lives.

exstatic
11-26-2009, 09:39 AM
At this stage in his career, being an explosive scorer off the bench would help a lot of championship caliber teams. But as you said, he won't accept that.

It's a shame really. He could easily take the league minimum and be that one piece that gets a team over the hump and earn himself a ring.

I think he would have 10-12 playoff caliber teams, including some championship contenders, knocking at the door if he would play a role and come off the bench.

He really should find a way to keep ballin' as long as possible, because he has "bad post NBA career life" written all over him.

PUPPETMASTER
11-26-2009, 10:43 AM
/great news, not a team player at this point/

easy7
11-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Can't feed a family making 3 million a year... :hat

eisfeld
11-26-2009, 11:21 AM
I genuinely miss him :) well sometimes.

All Lies!!! :downspin:

callo1
11-26-2009, 12:17 PM
If he retires, he needs to announce it from a jail cell so his basketball career makes it full circle, being that John Thompson recruited him from one when he entered college.

Liked his game, and disliked his attitude.

Pound for pound the most game changing (offensively) player to play the game in over two decades. Was simply a nightmare for coaches to have to gameplan for.

Took a mediocre team on his shoulders to the Finals.

Marbury is more deserving of the demise of his career than Iverson is IMHO.

Goodbye A.I.

spursnatic
11-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I think he will be in OKC in the next few days?....Today they have released Ryan Bowen and usually when a team does that they have someone in sight...Could it be Allen Iverson?...I sure think so...I guess we will see in the next few days?....

peskypesky
11-26-2009, 02:04 PM
great player, shitty ego.

yep. hard to think of another player who was that gifted athletically and that fucked-up psychologically.

sure, there are lots of other fuck-ups (Marbury, Sprewell, etc), but Iverson is at a level above those guys.

duhoh
11-26-2009, 04:21 PM
I think he will be in OKC in the next few days?....Today they have released Ryan Bowen and usually when a team does that they have someone in sight...Could it be Allen Iverson?...I sure think so...I guess we will see in the next few days?....

sure, but it's ryan bowen :lol

exstatic
11-27-2009, 07:16 PM
Ian Thomsen's cnnsi column on AI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/ian_thomsen/11/25/iverson.available/index.html?eref=sihp)

Spurs Brazil
11-28-2009, 08:59 AM
Sixers reportedly interested in IversonComment Email Print Share ESPN.com news services

It appears that the Philadelphia 76ers are re-thinking their stance about bringing back franchise icon Allen Iverson.

After first reporting Iverson's intention to retire earlier this week, longtime Iverson confidant Stephen A. Smith reported early Saturday that the Sixers, according to team sources, were giving deep consideration to making Iverson an offer.

"It's being seriously considered," one team official told Smith in an article for FoxSports.com.

A team official told ESPN.com on Friday that the Sixers did not intend to pursue Iverson in the wake of a broken jaw that has sidelined starting guard Lou Williams for eight weeks, preferring to give Williams' minutes to rookie Jrue Holiday.

According to Smith's latest report, Sixers coach Eddie Jordan is one of several key figures in the organization who supports Iverson's return.

Smith quoted the unnamed team official as saying: "We know the history. We know the ups and downs. But we're also aware of what [Iverson] can do and that he's needed here. We simply can't just ignore the upside he'd bring. Not with our situation."

If the Sixers decide to go ahead with an offer nearly three years after trading Iverson to Denver in December 2006, it's believed that their interest would be based as much on the buzz such a move could generate as any potential on-court boost.

The Sixers entered Friday's play ranked second-to-last in the league in average per-game attendance (11,820 fans) and last in terms of filling their arena to capacity. The Wachovia Center has been filled to only 58.2 percent of capacity so far this season; Memphis' per-game average of 11,387 fans represents 62.8 percent of capacity at FedEx Forum.

In the FoxSports.com story, Smith reported that Jordan could fly to Atlanta to meet with Iverson on Tuesday after the Sixers complete a Sunday/Monday back-to-back in San Antonio and Dallas. According to the report, Tuesday is also when Iverson is scheduled to meet with his former Georgetown coach John Thompson, who responded to Iverson's retirement announced Wednesday by telling ESPN Radio 980 in Washington, D.C., that he intended to try to talk Iverson out of retirement.

Smith also quoted a Sixers source as saying: "& Let's face it. We're very, very boring right now. We have absolutely nothing to lose by bringing Iverson back. Nothing at all."

The Sixers are almost $6.6 million under this season's luxury-tax threshold, so they can afford to sign Iverson for the rest of the season without any serious financial consequences.

Iverson became a free agent earlier this month when he and the Memphis Grizzlies agreed to a mutual parting after the 34-year-old played in just three games. Iverson averaged 12.3 points and 3.7 assists in 22.3 minutes per games in his short Memphis stay after missing most of training camp with a partially torn hamstring.

ESPN.com senior NBA writer Marc Stein contributed to this report.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4695373