PDA

View Full Version : No good Castro! sneaky bastard

Clandestino
04-21-2005, 11:15 AM
it made the national news! first, he is guilty of campaign finance stuff and now this...

Twin stands in for candidate
Political opponent says parade appearance was dishonest
Thursday, April 21, 2005 Posted: 9:15 AM EDT (1315 GMT)

Mayoral candidate Julian Castro, left, and his twin brother Joaquin Castro

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Mayoral hopeful Julian Castro really wasn't in two places at once. His twin brother took his place in a parade this week, waving to the crowd of thousands.

Castro told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he had a conflicting event and didn't intend to deceive anyone.

"We can't help that we look like each other," said Castro, a City Council member and leading contender in next month's election.

Retired state appeals court judge Phil Hardberger, one of Castro's opponents, said he believes the parade appearance was dishonest and deceptive.

"If you're 18 years old and having a date, it might be a youthful prank when you swap out your brother. But when you're running for mayor of a city with 1.3 million people and sending in your brother as an impersonator ... I do see a problem with it," Hardberger said.

Julian Castro said his brother usually accompanies him in the parade, and they are rarely mistaken for each other when together.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/21/twin.appearance.ap/index.html?section=cnn_topstories

gophergeorge
04-21-2005, 11:51 AM
CD had fun with this yesterday....

God I hope this "kid" doesn't win.... but if I said it once, I've said it 1,000 times...

The Devil himself could run as a Democrat and win any office in SA.....

Clandestino
04-21-2005, 11:55 AM
CD had fun with this yesterday....

God I hope this "kid" doesn't win.... but if I said it once, I've said it 1,000 times...

The Devil himself could run as a Democrat and win any office in SA.....

a republican devil could win in sa if he was mexican!

MannyIsGod
04-21-2005, 11:56 AM
Harberger seems to be closing that gap, and I think in a runoff he gets more schubert votes than Castro does. It's still an uphill climb, but Julian keeps shooting his toes off. Thank god for that.

JoeChalupa
04-21-2005, 12:05 PM
Talk about a lousy lack of judgement on Julian's part.

CosmicCowboy
04-21-2005, 04:54 PM
sooo...whadda you guys think about the Castro Brothers faux pas at the river parade?

CosmicCowboy
04-21-2005, 05:08 PM
just in case you have been in a coma and don't know what I am tallking about...

NEW: Councilman Julián Castro denies that 'switcheroo' was intentional

Web Posted: 04/21/2005 04:08 PM CDT

Amanda Taylor
Kens 5 Eyewitness News

Councilman Julián Castro and his identical twin brother, Joaquin Castro, today denied the switcheroo at the river parade, or at least denied that they tried to play city residents for fools.

The incident, in which Joaquin Castro rode aboard a City Council float at the Texas Cavaliers River Parade Monday night, started to make national news, so Julian Castro tried to clear it all up.

“To San Antonio we say that here, we’ll forever be banished to wearing these shirts,” said mayoral candidate Julián Castro, holding a shirt with the writing ‘I am Julian,’ while his brother Joaquin was holding another shirt that said ‘I am NOT Julián.’

“I’m a candidate for mayor. This is my brother, Joaquin. He is a state representative. He is not Julián.” Julián Castro said jokingly.

However, telling Joaquin and Julián Castro apart at the river parade wasn’t so clear, sparking controversy that had critics asking if Julian was trying to fool thousands of voters into believing that his brother was really him.

“My brother campaigned for me; he doesn’t campaign as me,” said the mayoral hopeful at the news conference.

He says he planned on going to the parade but attended a neighborhood meeting instead. He says word of his absence failed to get to the announcer, who told the crowd Julián was on board.

Now, with his brother at his side, he finds some humor in looking alike and yet different. They pointed out that Julián has more hair, Joaquin wears his shirts a little baggier, and Julián is five pounds heavier.

“We just hope that everybody understands that we are twins, God made us that way, and our mother is glad to have us that way. It is one of the blessings in life to have a twin, but we never impersonate each other.”

Now he admits that there was one time in high school English class the two did switch, but he claims that since then they never have done it intentionally.

CosmicCowboy
04-21-2005, 05:39 PM
uhhh...just so you don't start questioning my reading comprehension this thread that I started was apparently moved from the "club"...

NeoConIV
04-21-2005, 05:57 PM
Say hello to your new mayor...

http://www.jefferson.k12.wi.us/Our_Schools/sullivan/library/dunce.jpg

GoldToe
04-21-2005, 06:17 PM
That is no way to portray Hardburger.

NeoConIV
04-21-2005, 06:19 PM
:lol

Nbadan
04-21-2005, 11:28 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and predict that Phil Hardberger will win a runoff for Mayor of SA. Castro's campaign has been too slimy and Schubert's campaign under-spoken, and I want a reformer in City Hall and not just a successor of the status quo.

http://philformayor.com/HarbergerCroppedArms.jpg

Useruser666
04-22-2005, 08:39 AM
Dan you don't even live in SA, what are you talking about?

I didn't like Castro before, and I certainly don't like him any more after this stunt.

MannyIsGod
04-22-2005, 08:44 AM
That is no way to portray Hardburger.
Who is Hardburger? Sounds like a fast food place.

Useruser666
04-22-2005, 10:14 AM
Castro said he didn't have his brother "stand in" for him on the float? That is pure BS! Of course he had him there for that reason. How many other council members had their brothers or sisters on that barge? I heard on the news this morning that when people would call out Julián, his brother would wave to them. Casto did this just so he wouldn't miss out on the publicity the parade brings.

bigzak25
04-22-2005, 10:36 AM
who give a shit who was on the float?

I vote judge because I think he'll be better for san antonio, but i couldn't care less about who was on a gotdam float....I don't think Hardberger should have said anything other than lets focus on the issues.

and i hate the fact that castro is getting all sorts of publicity out of this....i heard he was on the today show....geez.

MannyIsGod
04-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Well, I think pointing out that someone is a liar is pretty important when that person is trying to be the mayor.

The Ressurrected One
04-22-2005, 10:55 AM
The man did something right. He's made national news and is getting to spin the story his way on Good Morning America today...

He makes it sound pretty innocent (by the way, he claims family members are regularly invited onto the Fiesta float).

I think he comes out of this better than before. Just my opinion...and a rather uninformed one at that. San Antonio politics ceased being interesting after Henry and Lila.

GoldToe
04-22-2005, 12:06 PM
Who is Hardburger? Sounds like a fast food place.

Fast judge.

scott
04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
I think Schubert is the best candidate, but Julian will win on heritage alone.

Any wonder why San Antonio politics is so fucked up?

JohnnyMarzetti
04-22-2005, 03:48 PM
Bush won on religion and lies alone.

Wonder why things are so fucked up?

scott
04-22-2005, 03:51 PM
No argument there...

take that back... he got a little help by only having to run against two morons in Gore and Kerry.

T Park
04-26-2005, 10:41 AM
I think Schubert is the best candidate, but Julian will win on heritage alone

bullseye.

mookie2001
04-26-2005, 05:17 PM
have yall seen that commerical where theyre calling playing evil music and showing Hardberger moving in slow motion with a mean look on his face, calling him "liberal" like 9 times

thats HILARIOUS

Nbadan
05-08-2005, 04:36 AM
Yeah, I'm gonna have to go ahead and predict that Phil Hardberger will win a runoff for Mayor of SA. Castro's campaign has been too slimy and Schubert's campaign under-spoken, and I want a reformer in City Hall and not just a successor of the status quo.

http://philformayor.com/HarbergerCroppedArms.jpg

Rack another one up for Nbadan as Hardberger and Castro seem headed for a runoff election. Don't know anything about SA city politics, fuck you User.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/images/cover/0508castro-phil190.jpg

Clandestino
05-08-2005, 08:30 AM
almost everyone said that phil and julian would be in a runoff... the only person that didn't was schubert!