PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Parker, Spurs overcome injury-stricken Warriors

duncan228
11-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Parker, Spurs overcome injury-stricken Warriors (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Parker_Spurs_overcome_injury-stricken_Warriors.html)
Jeff McDonald

The menu for Roger Mason Jr.'s annual Thanksgiving feast had long since been set. Turkey. Stuffing. Cranberry sauce. He's even planning a Thanksgiving fish.

All of Mason's Spurs teammates have been invited, especially those without family in town. Keith Bogans accepted the invite with one caveat. He won't go if Mason is manning the oven.

“Not even if you put a gun to my head,” Bogans said.

Bogans can be thankful for at least one thing. Mason will cede his kitchen to his mother, grandmother and girlfriend today.

The Spurs, meanwhile, will have something else to celebrate besides the avoidance of sure indigestion. After Wednesday's 118-104 victory over what was left of the Golden State Warriors, the Spurs (7-6) will carry a season-high three-game winning streak into their holiday.

Tony Parker had 32 points and seven assists, and Tim Duncan added a 20-point, 10-rebound double-double as the Spurs held off the pesky, wounded Warriors at the AT&T Center.

“We stuck with it against some players who are really difficult to guard,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “They lead the league in scoring, but we were able to get it done.”

Beset by an injury epidemic that would make Job count his blessings, Golden State suited up just nine players. That was three more than the Warriors played a night earlier in Dallas, where they inexplicably won 111-103.

Even their coach is on the inactive list. Don Nelson stayed home recovering from pneumonia, turning duties over to assistant Keith Smart for the second consecutive night.

The Warriors hung around for about 21/2 quarters Wednesday and made the Spurs sweat for the win.

A night after playing all 48 minutes in Dallas, Golden State's Monta Ellis logged 44. He scored as if he hadn't left the Metroplex, following his 37-point outing against the Mavericks with a 42-point effort that matched a career high.

It is the most the Spurs have given up to an individual player this season.

“He was hot,” Parker said.

So was Parker. One game after producing a season-low six points against Milwaukee, he produced a season high Wednesday.

“They play up and down, so you can be aggressive and go the basket,” Parker said. “I was trying to do that.”

Golden State led 78-77 with 3:52 left in the third before the Spurs took control. During one 11-minute stretch, the Spurs outscored the fading Warriors 31-10 to take a commanding 108-88 lead with 6:47 to play.

“You just keep putting the pressure on and hope you break through,” said Mason, who contributed a season-high 17 points. “At some point, you hope they lose their legs a little bit.”

By the end of the third, the Warriors (5-9) were showing their fatigue, Ellis especially. After shooting 12 for 15 in the first half, he was 4 for 10 in the second. He did not have a basket in the fourth quarter.

“It caught up to us,” Smart said. “We played at a high level in Dallas, and we gave what we could tonight.”

With the Warriors' tank appearing empty, the Spurs let off the gas midway through the fourth.

His team's third-straight double-digit victory in reach, Popovich emptied his bench, even giving Marcus Haislip his Spurs debut. The Warriors responded with an 8-0 run, prompting Popovich to reinsert Parker and Duncan.

“They were hanging in and playing hard,” Popovich said. “We were definitely impressed with what they did.”

duhoh
11-26-2009, 01:15 AM
GS fans deserve a better FO and coach. some of the best fans in the league

Samr
11-26-2009, 02:26 PM
Beset by an injury epidemic that would make Job count his blessings, Golden State suited up just nine players. That was three more than the Warriors played a night earlier in Dallas, where they inexplicably won 111-103.

I thought the league requires that seven players suit up? Did they get an exception; are they really in that bad of a way?

That sucks. I agree with what duhoh said, GS fans deserve better.

exstatic
11-26-2009, 02:34 PM
I thought the league requires that seven players suit up? Did they get an exception; are they really in that bad of a way?

That sucks. I agree with what duhoh said, GS fans deserve better.

Well, it's McDildo, so you know his facts will go awry. GS dressed 8, 2 injured, and played only 6 against Dallas.

lurker23
11-26-2009, 02:42 PM

Well, it's McDildo, so you know his facts will go awry. GS dressed 8, 2 injured, and played only 6 against Dallas.

This is different how? At casual reading it might seem that he implied they only suited up 6, but he definitely got the verbiage right.

exstatic
11-26-2009, 02:47 PM
This is different how? At casual reading it might seem that he implied they only suited up 6, but he definitely got the verbiage right.

Blame Samr. :lol

I try not to read McD any more, and was going of Samr's post.