PDA

View Full Version : Old Tricks, New Dogs

Blackjack
11-26-2009, 03:09 AM
I couldn't help but notice how some of the older plays are being run with the newer players. The play I've called 'ol' faithful': where Manu receives a screen, collapses the defense by attacking from a mid-to-high pick and roll, and passes out to the opposite corner from the baseline where Finley is waiting behind the 4/5 screen to sink a three-ball; usually a quarter/game-ending play that's netted some very solid results over the years; thus 'ol' faithful.'

Well, now we're seeing that and a couple of variations utilizing some misdirection with George substituting for Manu and Roger substituting for Fin.

Likewise, the dribble or out-right hand-off at the top of the key that had Manu leave the ball for Tony and then had him utilize one or two screens to receive a lob at the rim. That's also being used with Mason and Hill; a couple of variations with some misdirection have been added, as well.

There have been a few things that have caught my eye in this early season: Tony's bull-rush of a steal attempt that looks ill-fated, reckless and clumsy at best, yet somehow has worked without picking up a foul on more than one occasion, (not that I'm complaining) Tim and RJ's two-man game that allows for a good cut off the post for a lob, the glimpses of their interior passing together, but the older plays being performed by the newer players has really stood out to me most.

I know it was brought up recently that it's not about if you know what's coming, it's whether you can stop it; execution on either end trumps a scouting report just about every time. Well, it's nice to know the Spurs are still capable of utilizing the majority of their playbook now, even if the usual, expected suspects aren't on the floor.

Just another dimension for the opposition to think about..

FeZZy
11-26-2009, 03:48 AM
:downspin: