PDA

View Full Version : Roger Mason

draft87
11-26-2009, 04:04 AM
Is there anyone else in the league who's been pleasantly returning to form after a rocky first HANDFUL of games?

Roger Fucking Mason

When you criticize his mistakes you must praise his success. Own up to your bullshit, d-bags.

Mason is a dedicated teammate who surely hasn't forgotten his recent playoff failures. Expect him to stay strong till the very end. No more of this "Mason Sucks" crap. Mason, Bonner, Finley, RJ, Bogans, everybody is here to win. Whether the shot is falling or not they are ready for the next challenge. If you're not along for the ride then retire like Allen Iverson-the guy who just didn't get it.

vs Warriors

26 Minutes
17 pts(7-10FG, 2-3 3PT, 1-2 FT)
6 rb
5 ast
1 stl

Past 5 games(including Dal/Utah losses)
23MPG
Pts-9,11,11,12,17=60
Ast=16
Rb=13
3pt %=7/17=.411

Tony, Timmy, Manu, RJ, Dyess, Hill, Bonner, and Mason all hitting AND production from Bogans, Finley, Blair, Ratliff, and Hairston = winning formula

A team this deep what more could you ask for than
12pts, 3ast, 2rb, 40%+ /game

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140502

Johnny RIngo
11-26-2009, 04:18 AM
A team this deep what more could you ask for than 12pts, 3ast, 2rb, 40%+ /game

Some defense, maybe?

Brazil
11-26-2009, 06:47 AM
Some defense, maybe?

precisely his defense is improving a lot since few games

urunobili
11-26-2009, 07:12 AM
Some defense, maybe?

:owned

11-26-2009, 07:39 AM
The problem people have with mason, finley, and also bonner is that when their shots aren't falling, they are practically useless. Their defense is usually more miss than hit and they can't create for others. The other role players like hill, bogans, mcdyess, ratliff, and blair can still be useful when their shots don't fall like rebounding, good passing, and/or defensive intensity. Since mason is a guard and shouldn't be looking for those offensive boards he should focus on his rather average defense. I don't expect him to suddenly develop driving skills or good court vision but defense has a lot to do with effort and the more he tries, the more spurs fans will like him.

Spurs Brazil
11-26-2009, 08:59 AM
He's D got better too. Not close to a stopper but he's not committing the same mistakes of the first 5-6 games and the fact he doesn't need to play backup PG helps a lot

TJastal
11-26-2009, 09:16 AM
He's D got better too. Not close to a stopper but he's not committing the same mistakes of the first 5-6 games and the fact he doesn't need to play backup PG helps a lot

+1

There is no doubt whatsoever his whole game is improving now that he is not burdened with having to handle the point guard duties.

I don't get why alot of spurs fans are saying he should be traded by the deadline. This is our version of JR Smith folks.

He is an offensive juggernaut that can score in big bunches. The spurs are going to need a player like Mason if they have to face teams with alot of offensive firepower like the nuggets and lakers.

His well known late game heroics could defenitely come in handy as well.

celldweller
11-26-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree, I think he has finally found his place in this line-up. His roll is now to provide instant offense off the bench and not to try to be something he's not - a point guard.

Darkwaters
11-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't get why alot of spurs fans are saying he should be traded by the deadline. This is our version of JR Smith folks.

I understand what you're getting at, but I think thats a bad comparison.

JR Smith is definitely a shooter, but hes got the athletic ability to do other things too. Mason on the other hand can't do a whole lot other than shoot. Hes not overly athletic which means if hes not hitting his shots then hes sucking.

Also, I pretty much never want one of my players compared to JR Smith. Even though the guy has game, all I see when you talk about him is a piece of shit, a bad attitude kind of player, a douche bag and a cancer. No thanks.

spurspokesman
11-26-2009, 09:34 AM
I agree, I think he has finally found his place in this line-up. His roll is now to provide instant offense off the bench and not to try to be something he's not - a point guard.
Agreed. Now people will jump back on his wag.love em when he's up hate em when he's down. Not his fault they tried to change his makeup.

nbaman99
11-26-2009, 11:17 AM
well people the thing is pop wants him to make shots every time he is open. he got the green light, so as bonner, finley. So yes we need some D from them but thats not the priority and Roger can always be count to take huge game winning shots. Have u all already forgot what he can do and did last year.

Chieflion
11-26-2009, 11:32 AM
+1

There is no doubt whatsoever his whole game is improving now that he is not burdened with having to handle the point guard duties.

He is an offensive juggernaut that can score in big bunches. The spurs are going to need a player like Mason if they have to face teams with alot of offensive firepower like the nuggets and lakers.

His well known late game heroics could defenitely come in handy as well.
J.R Smith cannot be compared to the weak likes of Roger Mason. Smith can shoot the three, handle the ball, underrated passer, makes things happen. If he was on the Spurs, he could hype the fans up with his highflying abilities. Plus, he could create his own and get hot at will.

Do you really think Mason is an offensive juggernaut? I just loled at that. J.R Smith is one of the top sixth men in the league, if he gets his brain checked, he would be an all-star calibre player. Mason is probably already as good as he is going to get.

Interrohater
11-26-2009, 12:34 PM
Mason is a great option off the bench. We can't have 6th man of the year candidates at every position. He fills a role and he does it nicely. His defense is average, which is fine by me. Having 12 Bruce Bowen-caliber defenders would be nice, but so would having 3 or four Tim Duncan's.

Yes, I hope he becomes a better defender. No, I don't think he's worthless. Yes, I'm definitely happy that he's started to light it up lately. That open 3 ball last night where he kicked out his leg was beautiful.

Cry Havoc
11-26-2009, 12:36 PM
Glad to see Ma$e rounding into form.

I think it's just a confidence and a "figuring out his role" thing.

pjjrfan
11-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Glad to see Ma$e rounding into form.

I think it's just a confidence and a "figuring out his role" thing.

That's exactly right when it comes to Mase. He's taken some blows to his ego, but if put in a position to do what he is capable of he can bring in some dividends, and he is a good team player.

duhoh
11-26-2009, 04:25 PM
i see what you mean by "our version of j.r. smith" but that's a terrible comparison.

i would lean towards a eddie house type of guy, but at the end of the day, mason is mason. not j.r. smith, or eddie house

angelbelow
11-26-2009, 04:53 PM
I thought Mason was a big reason for that run that GSW made late in the game (12-0 GSW run i believe). This is ofcousre my initial reaction. but I thought he took bad shots and stopped the ball and didnt make plays on the offensive end.

SequSpur
11-26-2009, 04:57 PM
RMJ Jr. is good... Most of you guys are a bunch of douches who don't know shit about basketball...

You would rather see Finley, Bowen and Daniels run this team because you can't afford a fresh loaf of bread...

Turn the fuckin page...

spursncowboys
11-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Mason is a great option off the bench. We can't have 6th man of the year candidates at every position. He fills a role and he does it nicely. His defense is average, which is fine by me. Having 12 Bruce Bowen-caliber defenders would be nice, but so would having 3 or four Tim Duncan's.

Yes, I hope he becomes a better defender. No, I don't think he's worthless. Yes, I'm definitely happy that he's started to light it up lately. That open 3 ball last night where he kicked out his leg was beautiful.

+1 Plus the guy is cheap as fck. There is no way we could find or trade for someone as talented for the price. No way.