PDA

View Full Version : A good gesture from Shaq

NRHector
11-26-2009, 02:04 PM
FAYETTEVILLE, N.C. (AP) - Basketball star Shaquille O'Neal paid for the funeral of a 5-year-old North Carolina girl after being moved by national news coverage of the case of Shaniya Davis, who police say was kidnapped and killed.

The Cleveland Cavaliers player was touched by the stories he saw and got in touch with the family to see what he could do to help, a spokeswoman for O'Neal said Thursday.
More than 2,000 people attended the girl's funeral Sunday. Her body was found Nov. 16 beside a rural road.

Her mother, Antionette Davis, who had reported the child missing six days earlier, is charged with human trafficking and child abuse involving prostitution. Mario McNeill is charged with murder, rape and kidnapping in the case.

"I was sitting at home watching it on the news and the story brought a tear to my eye," O'Neal told The Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper.

Corey Breece, of Rogers and Breece Funeral Home, which handled the service, declined to tell the Fayetteville Observer newspaper how much it cost but added that a child's funeral "averages around $4,500."

A man who answered the phone at the funeral home Thursday told the AP that only the owner could comment and that he was away.

Shaniya Davis' father, Bradley Lockhart, and his family had set up a trust fund in memory of Shaniya to help raise money to pay for the funeral. Lockhart was not available to talk Thursday, said a man who answered the phone at his home.

O'Neal is recovering from a shoulder injury that has sidelined him for six straight games since getting hurt Nov. 12 against Miami.

The article was in Fox sports and nobody mentioned here yet. What do you all think?

Culburn369
11-26-2009, 02:22 PM
You know what woulda been even better? If Daddy'd/lowlife a put a gag order on his PR people.

iggypop123
11-26-2009, 02:34 PM
hold off on the money your wife wants all of it

SpursFanFirst
11-26-2009, 02:35 PM
I think Shaq has done this, at least, once before.

It's very kind of him. This little girl deserved a decent burial.

MiamiHeat
11-26-2009, 03:16 PM
$4,500 .... that's it?

Shaq has made over 9234892348 million in his career?

i am shocked he doesn't do this more. 4,500 is pennies to him.

koriwhat
11-26-2009, 03:36 PM
$4,500 .... that's it?

Shaq has made over 9234892348 million in his career?

i am shocked he doesn't do this more. 4,500 is pennies to him.

what the hell? at least he did something when he didn't have to at all... are people on the internet that hard up to bust someone's balls just because they have a bunch of money and don't throw an extravagant funeral for someone they aren't blood with?

get over yourself bitch!

duncan228
11-26-2009, 03:52 PM
Good for Shaq. It was a nice thing to do.

JamStone
11-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, he did it for George Mikan, I believe. It was a nice gesture. Shaq had no obligation and no reason to do it other than he wanted to do something for the young girl because the story touched him.

Shaq has a lot of negative things about him, both on and off the court, but this was a genuinely nice gesture by him.

MiamiHeat
11-26-2009, 06:42 PM
what the hell? at least he did something when he didn't have to at all... are people on the internet that hard up to bust someone's balls just because they have a bunch of money and don't throw an extravagant funeral for someone they aren't blood with?

get over yourself bitch!

Warren Buffet donated 37 billion to charity to help other people in need around the world.

Bill Gates ha donated over 20 billion to charities to help everyone around the world. Heck, on November 19 of this month, just a few days ago, he gave 90 million dollars to Memphis schools.

ok?

Shaq has made around 200-300 million in his career.

You are bringing up a funeral that cost him 4,500 and the George Mikan crap that cost him another chump change.

Get real, chumpy. If I was as rich as them, I would be donating a hell of a lot more than that. The story 'moved' him, and all he could cough up is 4,500? LOL. Why doesn't he drop 20 grand and have a gorgeous mausoleum statue thing built for her in the grave to remember her?

Shaq is selfish and he makes sure the media finds out about stuff like this. It is very easy to donate money ANONYMOUSLY. He does it for propaganda. Fuck Shaq.

duhoh
11-26-2009, 07:55 PM
he's one the reasons why you guys have a ring, so i don't see how y'all can hate him in miami.

he didn't do much, but his presence changed the games.

good for shaq.

gaKNOW!blee
11-26-2009, 07:59 PM
Warren Buffet donated 37 billion to charity to help other people in need around the world.

Bill Gates ha donated over 20 billion to charities to help everyone around the world. Heck, on November 19 of this month, just a few days ago, he gave 90 million dollars to Memphis schools.

ok?

You are bringing up a funeral that cost him 4,500 and the George Mikan crap that cost him another chump change.

Get real, chumpy. If I was as rich as them, I would be donating a hell of a lot more than that. The story 'moved' him, and all he could cough up is 4,500? LOL. Why doesn't he drop 20 grand and have a gorgeous mausoleum statue thing built for her in the grave to remember her?

Shaq is selfish and he makes sure the media finds out about stuff like this. It is very easy to donate money ANONYMOUSLY. He does it for propaganda. Fuck Shaq.

lol get the fuck outta here...get over yourself.

flipcritic
11-26-2009, 08:46 PM

ok?

Some bitches are never satisfied.

monosylab1k
11-26-2009, 08:57 PM

ok?

Wow, you're acting like Shaq improperly re-heated a pizza or something

MiamiHeat
11-26-2009, 09:02 PM
you guys are sad

suck shaq's selfish cock because he drops 4,500 lol!! the guy has millions. sad

MiamiHeat
11-26-2009, 09:03 PM
Wow, you're acting like Shaq improperly re-heated a pizza or something

haha, jokes on you sucker

Hornets1
11-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Nice! Very kind gesture by Shaq!

Stringer_Bell
11-26-2009, 09:25 PM
The Cleveland Cavaliers player was touched by the stories he saw and got in touch with the family to see what he could do to help, a spokeswoman for O'Neal said Thursday.

It's a nice gesture, but I've always been more impressed when such things are done in silence (our side of publicists or interviews) with the focus being that the family dealing with the tragedy does not have to worry about expenses, and not where the money is coming from.

No one's going to argue Shaq did this for a tax reduction, but a simple "no comment" would have set a great standard. And if he was gonna open his mouth to newspapers or publicists, let it be to announce that he established a foundation that pays for the funerals of abducted children that are killed.

LakeShow
11-27-2009, 09:16 AM
Not surprising, Shaq is a hell of a guy.

Bukefal
11-27-2009, 09:58 AM
you guys are sad

suck shaq's selfish cock because he drops 4,500 lol!! the guy has millions. sad

Well, he could also choose to do nothing. But he did. So STFU. You would probably not even give a dollar to someone.

I think its a nice gesture. Shaq is a great guy

Chieflion
11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
Shaq goes out of his way to make people feel good. Shaq is a great person.

Will Hunting
11-27-2009, 10:39 AM
You know what woulda been even better? If Daddy'd/lowlife a put a gag order on his PR people.

My guess is you were the guy who bought the 4 year old from the mother.

Culburn369
11-27-2009, 12:22 PM

That's just the Kobe ringin'/sans Daddy talkin'. & daddy-O, yer just gonna have to get over it. It's gone. Poof!

tee, hee.

WildcardManu
11-27-2009, 01:10 PM

Don't be a douche. That was a very young life that was taken. Children are the most innocent and purest thing in this messed up world.

Will Hunting
11-27-2009, 01:13 PM
That's just the Kobe ringin'/sans Daddy talkin'. & daddy-O, yer just gonna have to get over it. It's gone. Poof!

tee, hee.

Why would I be mad at you about Kobe winning a championship? It's not like you had anything to do with it. My comment was about you being a child molester.

Culburn369
11-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Why would I be mad at you about Kobe winning a championship? It's not like you had anything to do with it. My comment was about you being a child molester.

Perhaps, but, methinks you doth protest too much.

Culburn369
11-27-2009, 01:20 PM
Don't be a douche. That was a very young life that was taken. Children are the most innocent and purest thing in this messed up world.

Yeah, but, anytime you can bust the Culburn snut, there ain't nothing verboten.

lmcontrollinao!!!

SpursFanFirst
11-27-2009, 01:30 PM

ok?

You really are something.
First off, he didn't have to do anything. He did.
Secondly, they didn't say how much he spent on that little girl's funeral. They simply said a child's funeral costs around $4500. They put it that way because they didn't want to disclose the amount he paid.

On a different note, I wonder if he's heard about the people who can't be buried in Detroit due to lack of funds. The city morgue is filled to the brim. At least one person has come forward to help, but there's still so many waiting to be buried.

Culburn369
11-27-2009, 01:33 PM

But, then he opened up his big f'in mouth and ruined it. The girl died in misery, and now her burial is a circus. Why? Because Daddy had to tell everybody he paid to put her in the ground. The jagoff.

Will Hunting
11-27-2009, 01:38 PM
But, then he opened up his big f'in mouth and ruined it. The girl died in misery, and now her burial is a circus. Why? Because Daddy had to tell everybody he paid to put her in the ground. The jagoff.

You realize someone else broke the story and Shaq wanted it to be kept a secret, right?

Culburn369
11-27-2009, 01:40 PM
You realize someone else broke the story and Shaq wanted it to be kept a secret, right?

What, yer asking me a legit question?

lmcontrollinao!!!

greyforest
11-27-2009, 01:42 PM

you realize donating anonymously would negate the possibility of that, right?

TDMVPDPOY
11-27-2009, 01:46 PM
200-300m after taxes he only has half, half it again thats what he really has since his wife got half from divorce right lol...

its the thought that counts

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-27-2009, 02:05 PM
:lmao @ all the people who criticize Shaq's donating to charity methods.

Culburn369
11-27-2009, 02:08 PM
:lmao @ all the people who criticize Shaq's donating to charity methods.

Just woulda been nice to get the little girl into the ground with the first peace she'd ever known. But, that's gone. Poof! Just like that.

MiamiHeat
11-27-2009, 04:57 PM

Oooooh, good. Thanks Shaq, for doing something rather than being a scrooge and not helping anyone.

Thanks!!!

In my opinion, people who were blessed enough to get so rich, have an obligation to help others.

Otherwise, who's going to do it? Only those in power and with a lot of money are able to really make a difference. The rest of the world can only donate time, but they still need money.

Shouldn't Shaq be happy that he was born with a gift to play basketball, born with a huge body yet very athletic? He could have been born short and with a disease that confined him to a wheelchair since birth. He got lucky.

So, yeah, fuck all the very wealthy people on Earth who don't help enough.

P.S. Donating anonymously is easy. Dean Martin, John Stockton, you even realize how many philanthropists gave and nobody even knew about it until many many years later? Fuck Shaq, on national TV after a game "I'll pay for Mikan's funeral" while being interviewed. This is no different.

IronMexican
11-27-2009, 05:01 PM
I guess MH think it's better not to donate than donate at all if you aren't giving much. Only 45 hundred. What a bum, right?

MiamiHeat
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
yeah that must be exactly what i was saying.

SpursFanFirst
11-27-2009, 06:12 PM
Oooooh, good. Thanks Shaq, for doing something rather than being a scrooge and not helping anyone.

Thanks!!!

In my opinion, people who were blessed enough to get so rich, have an obligation to help others.

Otherwise, who's going to do it? Only those in power and with a lot of money are able to really make a difference. The rest of the world can only donate time, but they still need money.

Oh, so what you're saying is, Shaq donated the money portion, and now you're going to donate the time? I mean, because you're probably not rich, but you have other ways of helping.

If he's required, in your mind, to help out financially, then shouldn't you be required to help by giving your time to others?

You know, sometimes, giving to the needy doesn't require money at all. Sometimes, all it takes is a little time and compassion.

So what is your first good deed? I can't wait to hear.

TheMACHINE
11-27-2009, 07:43 PM
So Shaq tells the world or accidently "leaks" donations...we know he is a media whore. But good for him for donating. props!

duhoh
11-27-2009, 07:43 PM

Thanks!!!

Shouldn't Shaq be happy that he was born with a gift to play basketball, born with a huge body yet very athletic? He could have been born short and with a disease that confined him to a wheelchair since birth. He got lucky.

So, yeah, fuck all the very wealthy people on Earth who don't help enough.

P.S. Donating anonymously is easy. Dean Martin, John Stockton, you even realize how many philanthropists gave and nobody even knew about it until many many years later? Fuck Shaq, on national TV after a game "I'll pay for Mikan's funeral" while being interviewed. This is no different.

they do not have a obligation. that's communism :lol

TheMACHINE
11-27-2009, 07:46 PM
they do not have a obligation. that's communism :lol

Take from the rich and give to the poor. Thats Obamaism.

SpursFanFirst
11-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Take from the rich and give to the poor. Thats Obamaism.

:lol

:(

:lol

Spursfan092120
11-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Good gesture. Millions or not, it's a hell of a thing the Daddy just did.

SpursNextRomanEmpire
11-27-2009, 08:23 PM

ok?

Then how the fuck can your dumb faggot ass enjoy watching sports or anything for that matter? Everybody in sports makes money like Shaq, why the hell are you criticizing Shaq and no one else?