PDA

View Full Version : Why do people think "Avatar" will suck?

Pages : [1] 2

phyzik
11-26-2009, 10:56 PM
Personally, I have some reservations about the movie, but I find it hard to doubt James Cameron. It's happened before and I was always suprised....

Most notably, true Lies...

I thought that movie was going to be a complete steaming pile of dog shit, but it was entertaining at the very least.

Anyone who hates Terminator or Terminator 2 is a fag.

I hated Leonardo dicaprio when the previews came out for Titanic, I can admit now that it turned out to be a pretty good story. (that took me some time to come to terms with)

The Abyss was a damn good movie.

Aliens? you hate it, thats your loss.

So, what about "Avatar" bothers you so much? I think its going to be an epic story.

Trainwreck2100
11-26-2009, 11:11 PM
it looks super campy, and when it was written(80's) it couldn't be made. the terminator, true lies, and aliens were all rated R too keep that in mind. Imagine what those would have been like Rated pg13 I'm more interested in this movie because of the technology that had to be created to make it, especially because Spielberg is supposed to use it for his Tintin movie

phyzik
11-26-2009, 11:19 PM
it looks super campy, and when it was written(80's) it couldn't be made. the terminator, true lies, and aliens were all rated R too keep that in mind. Imagine what those would have been like Rated pg13 I'm more interested in this movie because of the technology that had to be created to make it, especially because Spielberg is supposed to use it for his Tintin movie

Maybe Im being dense.... what exactly about it do you find campy? Because he falls in love with some hot alien chick and decides to take her side?

If thats the case, I agree on that point, but thats no reason to NOT see the movie, there is much more going on, at least it seems that way to me. I thought that way about Titanic as well. I didnt watch Titanic until my mother bought it on DVD and she insisted on watching it.

I've only watched titanic about 3 or 4 times since it came out (thats to this date), not my type of movie, but it wasnt nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

ChumpDumper
11-26-2009, 11:32 PM
If you've watched any movie more than twice, it's your type of movie.

phyzik
11-26-2009, 11:33 PM
If you've watched any movie more than twice, it's your type of movie.

When nothings on TV, you will watch something.

ChumpDumper
11-26-2009, 11:37 PM
When nothings on TV, you will watch something.I won't watch Titanic.

phyzik
11-26-2009, 11:38 PM
I won't.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3112/2723463068_058880631a.jpg

Too late on the edit CD!!! :lol

LOL texans
11-26-2009, 11:46 PM
James Cameron is a Nicholas Sparks/Micheal Bay hybrid nowadays.

mookie2001
11-26-2009, 11:50 PM
when was the last biggest budget movie ever that was good?

Bender
11-27-2009, 12:24 AM
did Cameron do the first Terminator?

I haven't ever seen Titanic...

mookie2001
11-27-2009, 12:28 AM
yes

mookie2001
11-27-2009, 12:28 AM
i also saw a story where cameron insisted this movie have a love story

good way to ruin a flick is to force a love story in for no reason at all

phyzik
11-27-2009, 12:38 AM
i also saw a story where cameron insisted this movie have a love story

good way to ruin a flick is to force a love story in for no reason at all

Still no reason to hate on the movie just because it will have a love story....

I think it will be more than that though.... I think the love story is a side factor compared to the rest of the movie....

All Im saying is, no reason to hate it until it actually comes out and people see it. I'm not saying it's going to be great, but James Cameron has made alot of good movies. Give it a chance before you judge.

I've doubted his work before and have been wrong on alot of occasions. He at least has earned from me the chance to see it before I judge his films.

Wild Cobra
11-27-2009, 12:39 AM
Well, it looks like it will be awesome to me:

cRdxXPV9GNQ

full HD size:

Avatar: The Movie (New Extended HD Trailer) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRdxXPV9GNQ)

ChumpDumper
11-27-2009, 12:55 AM
Well, Transformers looked awesome in the previews but the actual Shia LaBeouf Movie with Cameo Appearances by the Transformers was ass.

monosylab1k
11-27-2009, 01:02 AM
That evil general guy in the previews doesn't seem cliché at all.

mookie2001
11-27-2009, 01:06 AM
no shit

cant the guy like cause damage on the streets of avatar world and then get chewed out by the captain for his john wayne bullshit because the mayor is on his ass

jag
11-27-2009, 01:15 AM
"It's too popular, not my style AT ALL."

I'll prolly check it out...looks like it could be interesting. I've shit 9 dollars away on worse things.

exstatic
11-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Sometimes, people take a shit on something JUST because it's expected to be popular. They're afraid that if they say they're interested, and it bombs, then people will take a shit on them.

mookie2001
11-27-2009, 01:25 AM
because the most popular biggest budget movies are always the best?

jag
11-27-2009, 01:32 AM
Sometimes, people take a shit on something JUST because it's expected to be popular. They're afraid that if they say they're interested, and it bombs, then people will take a shit on them.

Or maybe because they've built their schtick on going against the grain.

tlongII
11-27-2009, 01:54 AM
It looks like a fucking cartoon. No thanks.

Jacob1983
11-27-2009, 02:49 AM
I don't get why people hate on people that like to watch action movies and fantasy movies. What's wrong with watching a movie where you see a whole new world/setting?
Do people just not like action or fantasy movies anymore?

Trainwreck2100
11-27-2009, 02:51 AM

at the time jurrassic park 1 was made it was considered big budget, so that one

phyzik
11-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Has anyone even checked out the ineractive trailer?

Seriously, check it out in its entirety.

http://www.avatarmovie.com/

Click on the "download the interactive trainer" at the bottom of the regular trainer. check out all the stops that it presents to you.

The movie costs so much its destined to bomb, there is NO WAY this movie will make what it costs to produce.

Thats why I love James Cameron. he does films just for them to be done, not just for the money.

you fuckers bitch all the damn time that Hollywood cant come up with some origional shit (Dont dare me to bring up some old posts, because you know I fucking can) but when someone does, you shit all over it.

No wonder Hollywood caters to the masses with rehashed bullshit....

ChumpDumper
11-27-2009, 04:59 AM
It's a twist on a familiar "gone native" theme.

We can lay off you if it's getting you this upset.

monosylab1k
11-27-2009, 08:59 AM
No wonder Hollywood caters to the masses with rehashed bullshit....

If you actually watched the trailer you'd know that alot of Avatar is rehashed bullshit as well.

lebomb
11-27-2009, 09:13 AM
Looks like its pretty cool to me. I will check it out. I like Sci-Fi movies though.

Shaolin-Style
11-27-2009, 09:26 AM
If they'd have come up with something less stupid looking than the blue things I think it'd appeal more. When I was watching the human parts I was like "Hmmm this might be kinda goo-wha?..." The blue things came across the trailer and I was like "What the hell is this? F that."

dickface
11-27-2009, 09:57 AM
Humans travel to a new world, looking to collect it's valuable natural resources.

The natives don't like it. They fight back.

One man is sent to explore the world of the natives, he falls in love with one of the native women.

The army leader is an evil hardass.

Where have I seen this all before? Oh yeah...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/57/Pocahontasposter.jpg

JamStone
11-27-2009, 11:46 AM
Yes, it has a lot of rehashed themes, but I think visually it looks cool. I actually do like the blue aliens and the colors of the forests and animals. I'm going to watch it in theater.

symple19
11-27-2009, 12:50 PM
This is the first movie I've really looked forward to since Old School. Hope it's as good as it looks

MannyIsGod
11-27-2009, 02:11 PM
I think it looks pretty cool. I'd like to see it.

exstatic
11-27-2009, 02:15 PM
I'm going to see it in 3D, since that's the preview I saw. I think it would be a lesser experience 'flat'.

ChumpDumper
11-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Most blockbusters aren't great overall movies -- there just seem to be too many compromises made to establish that board an appeal -- but there are enough cool things in there to make it interesting if not enjoyable.

Shia LaBeouf can make any movie unwatchable, though.

mookie2001
11-27-2009, 02:45 PM
i dont like the interplanetary intervention themes

i dont give a shit what happens on avatarworld, they do what they want to do, we do what we want to do

i would have no regard for any other species

ShoogarBear
11-27-2009, 03:10 PM
I think it will suck because of the Celine Dion theme song.

symple19
11-27-2009, 04:33 PM
I won't watch Titanic.

I tried, really I did, it just sucked.

I watched up until Kate Winslett got naked and that was all I could do. Nowhere to go but down from there.

I hope Leonardo Dicraprio gets shot in the face

Most other Cameron movies are good stuff, particularly Aliens and Terminator

smeagol
11-27-2009, 05:11 PM
i dont like the interplanetary intervention themes

i dont give a shit what happens on avatarworld, they do what they want to do, we do what we want to do

i would have no regard for any other species

Change the word species for foreigners and it would still sound just like you

jag
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
It's a twist on a familiar "gone native" theme.

We can lay off you if it's getting you this upset.

What are 3 of your favorite movies then? People are trying to act like 99% of movies aren't a rehash of a familiar theme or idea.

Gladiator was big budget, Jurassic Park was big budget, 300 was big budget, Dark Knight was big budget....

leemajors
11-27-2009, 05:57 PM
What are 3 of your favorite movies then? People are trying to act like 99% of movies aren't a rehash of a familiar theme or idea.

Gladiator was big budget, Jurassic Park was big budget, 300 was big budget, Dark Knight was big budget....

I think referencing Gladiator and 300 was a bad idea given the way this is going.

jag
11-27-2009, 05:59 PM
I think referencing Gladiator and 300 was a bad idea given the way this is going.

haha just giving examples of movies that quite a lot of people like...and were big budget

jag
11-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Can Chump and Mookie honestly say they don't like any of the movies that i mentioned. I'm not even convinced that this will be a good movie, i just think it's dumb to shit on a movie because a lot of money was poured into the production of it...or because it has "familiar" themes.

John Kerry
11-27-2009, 06:03 PM
i just think it's dumb to shit on a movie because a lot of money was poured into the production of it...or because it has "familiar" themes.

I'm pretty sure they don't care about the production budget. They shit on the movie because the trailer looks stupid.

jag
11-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I'm pretty sure they don't care about the production budget. They shit on the movie because the trailer looks stupid.

Well, Transformers looked awesome in the previews but the actual Shia LaBeouf Movie with Cameo Appearances by the Transformers was ass.

Implying that he trailer was appealing but...

John Kerry
11-27-2009, 06:08 PM
Implying that he trailer was appealing but...

Actually he was replying to someone else who found the trailer appealing, but nice try.

jag
11-27-2009, 06:10 PM
Actually he was replying to someone else who found the trailer appealing, but nice try.

Why don't you log off your troll account and then come back with your opinion.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-27-2009, 06:37 PM
I will watch it because

1) it's a CGI movie that will not be rated G, with good natured heart felt gently pat me on the ass comedy for all ages
2) it's not pixar
3) they spent so much money on it
4) 3d movies fucking rule

i've never expected anything mind blowing in regards to plot or character development

Cant_Be_Faded
11-27-2009, 06:38 PM
oh yeah!
5) james cameron

JoeChalupa
11-27-2009, 06:39 PM
Are there any movies you all DO like? Why so harsh?
I enjoyed Titanic, Terminator, Transformers, The Abyss. They, to me, are entertaining movies that I like. You can always find faults in ANY movies but as long as I like it that is good enough for me.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-27-2009, 07:14 PM
titanic was ass

those other movies rocked

it's been a looong time since i sat through the entire uneditted abyss (plus isn't there an extended version out?)
i'd have to eat a pot brownie to sit thru that these days

JoeChalupa
11-27-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, I think Titanic was a good movie and a good story. Pot brownie? I haven't had one of those in decades.

Jacob1983
11-28-2009, 12:04 AM
I don't see how you can hate James Cameron. The man made Terminator and T2. T2 is one of the best sequels of all time. It's one of the few sequels that is better than the original. And he made Titanic. Titanic is a classic. LOTR was a blockbuster and it was a great movie. Avatar is gonna kick ass during its opening weekend. What other movies are people going to see that weekend?

mookie2001
11-28-2009, 12:15 AM
jag, i would bet my life that i knew terminator facts and quotes when i was 10 then you will ever know

shut the fuck up, i think this movie will suck, were you on the crew or what? quit acting like a little girl

Cant_Be_Faded
11-28-2009, 12:42 AM
why attack russia
aren't they our friends now?

mookie2001
11-28-2009, 12:47 AM
underneath is a hyper alloy combat chassis

=they cant make things like that yet

phyzik
11-28-2009, 01:26 AM
Not to derail my own thread, but I wish hollywood would embrace some of the better sci-fi/hi-fantasy books that are out there.... Can you imagine a well done Warhammer or Warhammer 40K movie?

how about a Well done movie about Drizzt? (Probably the most adaptable to film because of Salvatore's writing)

Can you imagine a movie about Gotrek And Felix?

Done right, they have the potential to be one of the best violent action movies of all time!

Those are RIPE for the picking if you get a good cast and crew.

Hollywood needs to start looking and book's for better movies, only if they can do them justice though.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-28-2009, 01:33 AM
a drizzt movie could rule
but theres so much storyline to cover
it would end up being a mismash of crap

phyzik
11-28-2009, 01:36 AM
a drizzt movie could rule
but theres so much storyline to cover
it would end up being a mismash of crap

I dont know, I think Peter Jackson could pull it off with a series of releases. It would have to be an all-time record though.... probably a 6 movie series just to tell the story up to where its at right now coming into the "Transitions" series.

It would be fucking tough to decide who plays what character... Casting drizzt would be tough. there are so many out there that could play the part.

Nevermind Catti-brie, Wulfgar, Regis, Montolio Debrouchee, Artemis entreri, Bruenor, Jarlaxle, Zaknafein.... The list goes on and on....

Cant_Be_Faded
11-28-2009, 01:40 AM
exactly
would never happen
nowhere near as known by name as LOTR
the budget would not be enough for the project, and way too much story for the film time...it would inevitably suck.
but in a perfect worldwith a LOTR budget and director....it would pwn

phyzik
11-28-2009, 01:51 AM
exactly
would never happen
the budget would not be enough for the project, and way too much story for the film time...it would inevitably suck.

Bruenor for sure would have to be the guy that played Gimli from LoTR though... No doubt in my mind.

ChumpDumper
11-28-2009, 05:16 AM
Can Chump and Mookie honestly say they don't like any of the movies that i mentioned. I'm not even convinced that this will be a good movie, i just think it's dumb to shit on a movie because a lot of money was poured into the production of it...or because it has "familiar" themes.You really need to read my posts again. I think a lot of blockbusters aren't overall great movies but have enough entertaining or interesting elements for me to think they are worth seeing.

Transformers was not one of them.

EmptyMan
11-28-2009, 09:38 AM
why attack russia
aren't they our friends now?

nah, they are fucking iran behind our backs

jag
11-28-2009, 02:09 PM
You really need to read my posts again. I think a lot of blockbusters aren't overall great movies but have enough entertaining or interesting elements for me to think they are worth seeing.

Transformers was not one of them.

fair enough

Gerryatrics
11-28-2009, 08:42 PM
This site breaks down the plot of the movie based on the leaked soundtrack titles. I think it gives a pretty good argument of why Avatar will suck.

SPOILERS

http://io9.com/5408088/oops-avatars-plot-revealed-in-the-soundtrack

The Franchise
11-29-2009, 12:00 AM
I am actually looking forward to this movie. Somebody tell me the last James Cameron movie that was bad? Don't come with that Titanic shit, because it wasn't my type of movie, but it was still well made.

phyzik
11-29-2009, 12:04 AM
I am actually looking forward to this movie. Somebody tell me the last James Cameron movie that was bad? Don't come with that Titanic shit, because it wasn't my type of movie, but it was still well made.

Exactly, no reason to count James cameron out. I think this movie will be better than most people think.

Then again, I like space/futuristic movies and shit.

phyzik
11-29-2009, 12:09 AM
exactly
would never happen

I think your wrong on the bolded part. There where ALOT of people who didnt know WTF LoTR was until the movies came out.

It would be the same with a Dark Elf movie, but I think a Drizzt movie would be more action-packed and not as touchy-feely as the LoTR movies where and would draw an even bigger crowd because of that.

I could definately see them screwing it up and making a dragon-ball-esque movie that totally ruins it though.

Spurminator
11-29-2009, 01:19 AM
I don't know if it will suck, but based on the previews I've seen I have a pretty good feeling we're looking at a historic box office bomb. Even if it's well-written and well acted (and based on the previews it looks to be neither), I don't think it's going to appeal to a large enough audience.

phyzik
11-29-2009, 02:39 AM
I don't know if it will suck, but based on the previews I've seen I have a pretty good feeling we're looking at a historic box office bomb. Even if it's well-written and well acted (and based on the previews it looks to be neither), I don't think it's going to appeal to a large enough audience.

Seriously, with the ammount of money thats going into this film, there is almost no way they will make a profit off of it....

But since when do people judge a good movie based off of how much money it makes vs how much was spent on it?

Just because it might be a "box office" bomb, doesnt mean its a shit movie. that's whats wrong with people today, if the movie doesnt make money, it certainly must suck! :rolleyes

whatever happened to making a movie because it might be a good movie regardless of the profits? Thats why I like James Cameron. He doesnt give a fuck and has the pull to do it.

Everyone bitches about Hollywood going for the money maker, cookie cutter movies.

Here we have an origional story line (albeit following a familiar theme) and people are bitching about that as well!

This movie is not based off of some rehashed film, its not a remake, its not a homage to another movie.... yet we STILL have people bitching about it!

I say Congrats to James Cameron for breaking the hollywood theme of following the money! Thats why this movie will be good! It's not some book or some shit, its a totally new story!

In the end, thats what movies should be all about.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2009, 04:20 AM
But it's not a totally new story.

I, for instance, liked it when it was called Lawrence of Arabia or Mutiny on the Bounty or Little Big Man or The Mission or Dances with Wolves-- and a little less when it was called At Play in the Fields of the Lord, but I'm older now and might understand the themes better and get past he trauma of a Kathy Bates nude scene. Even less when it was called The Last Samurai; by that time I was a little tired of the routine.

Anyway, I hope Cameron's movie makes him king of the world.

Again.

Creepn
11-29-2009, 04:32 AM
Given the history I've had with Cameron's movies, I will see this movie at the Imax and in 3D. Im not into movies like that but I trust him to give me my monies worth.

fraga
11-29-2009, 11:33 AM
Well supposedly there's supposed to be something new about his version of a 3-D movie...so I'll probably check it out at the IMAX...

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Why? That can be summed up in two words: "Phantom Menace". No, James Cameron is not George Lucas, but that's the last time I can remember all this hype around a story that was written twenty years ago, shelved because the technology could not let it be made faithfully, and now about to hit theaters.

On top of that the last time that Cameron made the most expensive movie ever it was Titanic, which plenty of people just didn't care for. Lots more people did of course. In my experience there are two camps in Titanic: those who saw it in the theater and were blown away by the epic production and those who saw it on TV or DVD and don't see what all the hype is about.

Then you throw in just what all the hype has been about for this film- the technology. While that doesn't immediately preclude the film having a good story it does give plenty of people pause to consider just where the overall focus of this film was. If this is going to be a 3 hour tech demo instead of an interesting story with good characters, then I would say it wasn't a good movie.

And finally, Spurstalk does not always represent a true cross section of the market. How many bagillions did the Transformers movies make? Now compare that with the percentage of Spurstalkers who shat upon the film, or flat out refused to go see it.

monosylab1k
11-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I think your wrong on the bolded part. There where ALOT of people who didnt know WTF LoTR was until the movies came out.

Is this a joke? Alot of people may not have read the book, but damn near everybody had at least heard of LOTR before the movies came out.

Ginobilly
12-12-2009, 07:00 PM
just bought my tickets for the Imax 3d experience. Should I go stoned or shroomed out for this epic adventure?

z0sa
12-12-2009, 07:10 PM
just bought my tickets for the Imax 3d experience. Should I go stoned or shroomed out for this epic adventure?

Both

sook
12-12-2009, 07:14 PM
If they'd have come up with something less stupid looking than the blue things I think it'd appeal more. When I was watching the human parts I was like "Hmmm this might be kinda goo-wha?..." The blue things came across the trailer and I was like "What the hell is this? F that."

LMFAO same here! I guess I'm not the only one that thought the blue things looked kidish. Oh well

Death In June
12-12-2009, 11:53 PM
I can tolerate the stupid blue alien smurf things, but when I found out the mineral the humans are mining is called unobtainium, I decided I'm out.
just bought my tickets for the Imax 3d experience. Should I go stoned or shroomed out for this epic adventure? Why would you do psychedelics in public, let alone a movie theater with a bunch of snot nosed kids and their loud obnoxious families?

The Franchise
12-13-2009, 12:15 AM
A thread full of hate just for the sake of hating.

ynh
12-13-2009, 12:25 AM
It's pretty funny that people are bashing this because it is a story that has already been told. Those that are saying this... could you please name one original story from a movie that hasn't been done before? Guess what.. there are no more original stories.. every story that is being told has been told in some form before.. the only thing that changes are the details.

mookie2001
12-13-2009, 12:27 AM
A thread full of hate just for the sake of hating.
we all should love it

Ginobilly
12-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I can tolerate the stupid blue alien smurf things, but when I found out the mineral the humans are mining is called unobtainium, I decided I'm out. Why would you do psychedelics in public, let alone a movie theater with a bunch of snot nosed kids and their loud obnoxious families?
Two words: James Cameron. Terminator, Terminator 2, and btw I like sci-fi/fantasy movies.

I was kidding about the shrooms, never done them, but I might go stoned though. Take a few bong hits, and smoke a blunt before my girl gets out of work. Take a shower, shave, put some cologne on, get dressed, down a six pack of shinner bock. My girl gets home. I fuck, then she takes a shower while I secretly go out to the back yard to spliff one. I go and change shirts, put some eye drops, then take off to Imax.:hat

ynh
12-13-2009, 12:29 AM
Oh and titanic was good... somewhere along the line men started thinking it was less macho to say they actually watched it..

Example.. for the person that said they watched it till the Winslet scene and stopped.. You realize you watched about an hour and 40 minutes into it... First off you missed the best part, which was the sinking or the ship.. second if you watched that shit for that long... well lets just say I think you are full of shit and think it's cool to say you watched it up to the kate nude part.. I bet you any money you own the damn movie on dvd.

mookie2001
12-13-2009, 12:30 AM
ive watched a shitload of movies, doesnt mean they were any good

ynh
12-13-2009, 12:36 AM
I envy you.. I wish I had the time in my life to watch a bunch of bad movies.. typically if I'm watching a movie and I think it sucks I change the channel, walk out of the theater, or hit stop. I figure that is what most people do.. or I would hope that people value their time enough to.

ynh
12-13-2009, 12:37 AM
Typically it takes me less then an hour and 40 mins and a tit scene.. especially with the dawn of the internet where I can just look up the tit scene on the internet and save money and time.

mookie2001
12-13-2009, 12:40 AM
you wish you could watch bad movies?

you must be a real generous critic if youve never seen a bad movie

ynh
12-13-2009, 12:54 AM
I wish I had the time to waste to sit there and watch bad movies.. And yes I have seen bad movies before.. the thing is though I don't watch an hour and 40 mins of it then turn it off.. If I'm a half hour or 40 mins into it and it sucks I turn it off.. I don't continue watching it.. unless of course I for some reason can't... Such as being on a date, watching it with a girlfriend... But even then I wouldn't consider myself actually watching it because I'll start to zone out.

Oh and there are the really bad movies that I will watch.. but then again those really bad movies you are watching because they are so bad you enjoy watching them.

holcs50
12-13-2009, 01:45 AM
Havent read all the banter in this thread but I trust cameron with sci fi that's all I know. Terminators, aliens nuff said.

IDK if you guys rely much on critics, but from what it looks like a heavy percentage of critics were blown away by it. I don't personally always rely on them but generally when critics overwhelmingly like a movie it usually is, not always, but usually. Here's what the critics think so far

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

35/39 reviews so far are good....90%...have read quite a few. Generally all of them said the visuals and action are the best they've ever seen. Quite a few had problems with the story though, but the visuals and action took precedence over it because they are so amazing.

monosylab1k
12-13-2009, 02:41 AM
It's pretty funny that people are bashing this because it is a story that has already been told. Those that are saying this... could you please name one original story from a movie that hasn't been done before? Guess what.. there are no more original stories.. every story that is being told has been told in some form before.. the only thing that changes are the details.

Brah I'm pretty sure Freddy Got Fingered is a completely original story. You're welcome.

holcs50
12-13-2009, 03:06 AM
Brah I'm pretty sure Freddy Got Fingered is a completely original story. You're welcome.

Freddy got fingered FTW!!! polarizing movie, im on the love it side.

ynh
12-13-2009, 03:19 AM

Father with extreme expectations of his son. Son underacheiving and part of a broken home.. meets a girl and falls for her.. lets everyone down toward the end then at the end shows everyone how great he is.. ends with father and son mending relationship and realizing both love and care for eachother... guy gets girl after losing her 3/4 of the way through the movie over generally a lie or something stupid he did.

That story has already been done before.. again the only difference is the details.

MiamiHeat
12-13-2009, 03:27 AM
ALIENS is quite possibly in the top 3 Sci-Fi films ever made.

Ever after 20+ years, it still LOOKS LIKE IT WAS MADE TODAY! The only obvious old equipment is the computer monitors, that don't have color and just show green text, and are bulky.

But aside from that, the entire movie could be made in 2009.

PLUS both Terminators?

James Cameron is the man, I will go see this movie based on his previous work.

jacobdrj
12-13-2009, 08:50 AM
I think Cameron is one of the best storytellers in the business.

HOWEVER, the CGI in the trailers looks absolutely terrible when put in contrast with the live action human actors. Bad CGI is a HUGE pet peeve of mine, particularly since I know they can do better (Jurassic Park is still the best CGI movie of all time). /

If they had chosen to do this in 100% CGI instead of having any live action, I would have no problems with the non-lifelike cartoon aliens.

The CGI in this movie ranks somewhere between the crappy Star Wars CGI and the slightly less crappy Spiderman CGI, but nowhere near Transformers 1 CGI, or Jurassic Park CGI (the only 2 good CGI films).

jacobdrj
12-13-2009, 09:05 AM
And who cares if the CGI looks real?

Wow they made Computer Graphics almost look like Real Life! Almost!

Wow!

Mind blowing!

revolutionary!

I don't care if it looks real. I care that it takes me out of the movie to see a bad special effect.

But it is only a bad special effect when it contrasts the rest of the film. If the movie were 100% CGI, the aliens wouldn't look any more out of place and plastic-ey than the humans, and it wouldn't even be an issue.

It bothers me a LOT, especially when I know they can do better. I don't like being fed a movie that I can't escape in because they are constantly reminding me that it is a movie.

The Franchise
12-13-2009, 10:07 AM
we all should love it

Should we all form an opinion without anything to really back it up? How can someone have such a strong opinion about something they haven't even seen? All I'm saying is give it a chance. You may turn out to be right, but then again you may end up loving it.

mookie2001
12-13-2009, 10:17 AM
well my opinion was based on watching the long preview, i have to make some judgement about it or else i would end up watching every movie ever released in america just to give it a chance

youre right though it could be good, i just cant remember the last budgetbuster that was

Pistons < Spurs
12-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Too damn cartoony. Blue people and dragons? No thanks.

monosylab1k
12-13-2009, 03:02 PM
Father with extreme expectations of his son.

Extreme expectations? He was proud of him for getting a job making cheese sandwiches. You're full of shit.

Son underacheiving and part of a broken home..

The family was quite happy until Gord lied about Freddy being fingered by his dad. To call it a "broken home" is stupidity at it's finest. You're full of shit.

lets everyone down toward the end then at the end shows everyone how great he is..

He doesn't let anybody down in the entire movie. At the end he gets taken hostage by terrorists. Did you actually watch it or just decided to look it up on Wikipedia and then talk out of your ass? You're full of shit.

ends with father and son mending relationship and realizing both love and care for eachother...

Actually none of that happens, unless a son spraying elephant jizz all over his dad counts as them mending their relationship. You're full of shit.

guy gets girl after losing her 3/4 of the way through the movie over generally a lie or something stupid he did.

She didn't care that he lied. You're full of shit.

monosylab1k
12-13-2009, 03:06 PM
Should we all form an opinion without anything to really back it up?

Brah the whole point of a movie preview is to get the viewer to form an opinion on the movie, namely "That looks good and I want to see it". You seem pissed that some of us saw the preview and then had the opposite reaction.

Death In June
12-13-2009, 03:09 PM
Two words: James Cameron. Terminator, Terminator 2, and btw I like sci-fi/fantasy movies.

I was kidding about the shrooms, never done them, but I might go stoned though. Take a few bong hits, and smoke a blunt before my girl gets out of work. Take a shower, shave, put some cologne on, get dressed, down a six pack of shinner bock. My girl gets home. I fuck, then she takes a shower while I secretly go out to the back yard to spliff one. I go and change shirts, put some eye drops, then take off to Imax.:hatI'm gonna reserve some judgment since aliens, T2, true lies, and escape from ny are some of my all time favorite movies, but...unobtainium...seriously?

Ginobilly
12-13-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm gonna reserve some judgment since aliens, T2, true lies, and escape from ny are some of my all time favorite movies, but...unobtainium...seriously?

Yeah maybe they could of came with a better element name, but this movie will define if James Cameron still has it. From what I been hearing is that it's been receiving mostly positive vibe from behind closed doors. I still think his best movie will still be T2.

Top 5 Cameron films:
1. T2
2. Aliens
3. T1
4. Avatar
5. Titanic

mookie2001
12-13-2009, 03:52 PM
unobtanium is very rare, almost impossible to find

monosylab1k
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
unobtanium is very rare, almost impossible to find

But it's the key to human survival, that's why we must wipe out the natives and harvest the unobtanium.

symple19
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Havent read all the banter in this thread but I trust cameron with sci fi that's all I know. Terminators, aliens nuff said.

IDK if you guys rely much on critics, but from what it looks like a heavy percentage of critics were blown away by it. I don't personally always rely on them but generally when critics overwhelmingly like a movie it usually is, not always, but usually. Here's what the critics think so far

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/

35/39 reviews so far are good....90%...have read quite a few. Generally all of them said the visuals and action are the best they've ever seen. Quite a few had problems with the story though, but the visuals and action took precedence over it because they are so amazing.

Thanks for that holcs - I haven't spent money at the movie theatre since Old School, but am thinking about it for this one.

phyzik
12-13-2009, 09:03 PM
Oh and titanic was good... somewhere along the line men started thinking it was less macho to say they actually watched it..

Example.. for the person that said they watched it till the Winslet scene and stopped.. You realize you watched about an hour and 40 minutes into it... First off you missed the best part, which was the sinking or the ship.. second if you watched that shit for that long... well lets just say I think you are full of shit and think it's cool to say you watched it up to the kate nude part.. I bet you any money you own the damn movie on dvd.

I was the other way around. I HATED DeCaprio at the time and the movie looked like a chic love-fest. I watched it when it came out on DVD and my mom purchased it, she insisted on watching it. I liked it. Especially when DeCaprio died at the end.

phyzik
12-13-2009, 09:08 PM
these are all the movies rottentomatoes.com has ranked Better than avatar

(this year)

1. 100% Afghan Star 49
2. 100% You, the Living 34
3. 100% Still Walking 33
4. 98% Up 250
5. 98% The Hurt Locker 168
6. 98% Anvil! The Story of Anvil 121
7. 98% Food, Inc. 82
8. 97% The Beaches of Agnes 58
9. 97% The Song of Sparrows 37
10. 96% Burma VJ 49
11. 96% Somers Town 46
12. 96% Crude 45
13. 96% Herb & Dorothy 24
14. 95% Star Trek 276
15. 95% In the Loop 129
16. 95% The Cove 109
17. 95% Under the Sea 3D 41
18. 95% 35 Shots of Rum 39
19. 95% Fados 20
20. 94% An Education 156
21. 94% The Damned United 108
22. 94% Goodbye Solo 89
23. 94% Good Hair 68
24. 94% Revanche 52
25. 94% The Maid 36
26. 94% In Search Of Beethoven 33
27. 93% Sugar 99
28. 93% Yoo-hoo, Mrs. Goldberg 59
29. 93% Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! 59
30. 93% Must Read After My Death 45
31. 92% Drag Me To Hell 204
32. 92% Fantastic Mr. Fox 176
33. 92% Summer Hours 78
34. 92% Tokyo Sonata 76
35. 92% Of Time and the City 52
36. 92% Il Divo 48
37. 92% Fish Tank 36
38. 92% Mary and Max 26
39. 92% Mesrine: Part 2 - Public Enemy #1 26
40. 92% Big River Man 25
41. 92% The Way We Get By 24
42. 91% Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire 144
43. 91% Gomorrah 118
44. 91% Ponyo 112
45. 91% Every Little Step 86
46. 91% Cloud 9 33
47. 91% Home 23

It's generally difficult to judge a movie when no one has seen it yet. Lets see what happens after a week or so of being in theatres.

jacobdrj
12-13-2009, 11:09 PM
Personally, I enjoyed Titanic. I saw it 2 times. Once, on my birthday with my dad, and once with a sibling. I thoroughly enjoyed it. However, it is NOT a movie I would ever care to watch again, particularly on a TV. It was a well told, well developed, and very well acted film, that was directed well, and cut no corners. People were yearning for a well told epic when that film came out, and it delivered.
T2 was very good, and pushed special effects and CGI to the limit. I loved the themes and the dialogue, even if the acting left a little to be desired. But it was still a well told story, particularly coming after the original Terminator, which had a hell of a paradox in it.
The story here does seem to be a re-hashed colonial invasion story, but if well told in a new light, who cares. My only issue comes from the CGI, because I think it is poorly done and stunts the creativity of the film maker.

jacobdrj
12-13-2009, 11:09 PM
x

ynh
12-13-2009, 11:10 PM
Extreme expectations? He was proud of him for getting a job making cheese sandwiches. You're full of shit.

The family was quite happy until Gord lied about Freddy being fingered by his dad. To call it a "broken home" is stupidity at it's finest. You're full of shit.

He doesn't let anybody down in the entire movie. At the end he gets taken hostage by terrorists. Did you actually watch it or just decided to look it up on Wikipedia and then talk out of your ass? You're full of shit.

She didn't care that he lied. You're full of shit.

Yes I watched it.. sorry if you missed the basic concept of the movie. Also if you don't believe that was a broken home then you have no idea what the term broken home means.

Haha.. you're full of shit.. haha.. full of shit.. I'm cool

ynh
12-13-2009, 11:14 PM
And yes he let his father down throughout the entire movie.. the father wanted him to be independant and succeed like Green's brother in the movie.. The whole damn movie the father is pissed because his son isn't meeting his expectations and is letting him down.. Watch the movie again ass whipe.. you're of shit

ynh
12-14-2009, 12:04 AM
Original you are?

Jacob1983
12-18-2009, 05:28 AM
Saw it tonight. It was pretty good. I wasn't disappointed. I saw it on in IMAX 3D in Frisco and it was awesome. Best movie of the year in my opinion.

Dr. Gonzo
12-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I went in thinking the story was going to suck and it was actually better than I expected. It is a typical, formulaic story but it keep me engaged. The visuals and the 3D were just flat out amazing. I'd recommend it just to experience that.

O-Factor
12-19-2009, 01:21 PM
I don't know if Avatar will suck...but I know Im going to go see it and find out if it will or not.

koriwhat
12-19-2009, 02:15 PM
these are all the movies rottentomatoes.com has ranked Better than avatar

(this year)

1. 100% Afghan Star 49
2. 100% You, the Living 34
3. 100% Still Walking 33
4. 98% Up 250
5. 98% The Hurt Locker 168
6. 98% Anvil! The Story of Anvil 121
7. 98% Food, Inc. 82
8. 97% The Beaches of Agnes 58
9. 97% The Song of Sparrows 37
10. 96% Burma VJ 49
11. 96% Somers Town 46
12. 96% Crude 45
13. 96% Herb & Dorothy 24
14. 95% Star Trek 276
15. 95% In the Loop 129
16. 95% The Cove 109
17. 95% Under the Sea 3D 41
18. 95% 35 Shots of Rum 39
19. 95% Fados 20
20. 94% An Education 156
21. 94% The Damned United 108
22. 94% Goodbye Solo 89
23. 94% Good Hair 68
24. 94% Revanche 52
25. 94% The Maid 36
26. 94% In Search Of Beethoven 33
27. 93% Sugar 99
28. 93% Yoo-hoo, Mrs. Goldberg 59
29. 93% Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation! 59
30. 93% Must Read After My Death 45
31. 92% Drag Me To Hell 204
32. 92% Fantastic Mr. Fox 176
33. 92% Summer Hours 78
34. 92% Tokyo Sonata 76
35. 92% Of Time and the City 52
36. 92% Il Divo 48
37. 92% Fish Tank 36
38. 92% Mary and Max 26
39. 92% Mesrine: Part 2 - Public Enemy #1 26
40. 92% Big River Man 25
41. 92% The Way We Get By 24
42. 91% Precious: Based on the Novel PUSH by Sapphire 144
43. 91% Gomorrah 118
44. 91% Ponyo 112
45. 91% Every Little Step 86
46. 91% Cloud 9 33
47. 91% Home 23

sorry but rottentomatoes fuckin' blows! they ranked paranormal activity way high and that has to be one of the worst, if not the worst, movie of all time. fuck that website and that movie!

DPG21920
12-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Saw it tonight. It was pretty good. I wasn't disappointed. I saw it on in IMAX 3D in Frisco and it was awesome. Best movie of the year in my opinion.

No villain to hate, no hero to love. Other than that, the movie was good, and will change the way animations are made from here on out.

I went in thinking the story was going to suck and it was actually better than I expected. It is a typical, formulaic story but it keep me engaged. The visuals and the 3D were just flat out amazing. I'd recommend it just to experience that.

"Croffle...This is even more obvious than people riding Heath for his legendary performance in Batman only after he is dead. So a 500000 Billion dollar budget film isn't that good, but is good because the effects and will change the way movies are made...Croffle. Did not see that one coming."

- Mookie Crew

iggypop123
12-19-2009, 05:15 PM
going tonight. for 3d and 18 bucks it better be good

JoeChalupa
12-19-2009, 05:22 PM
I'll wait for the DVD.

Dr. Gonzo
12-19-2009, 06:02 PM
I'll wait for the DVD.

I doubt it will be the same on DVD as in the theater. The story is good but without the badass 3D and special effects the movie as a whole may not be as engaging.

mookie_crew
12-19-2009, 06:13 PM
"Croffle...This is even more obvious than people riding Heath for his legendary performance in Batman only after he is dead. So a 500000 Billion dollar budget film isn't that good, but is good because the effects and will change the way movies are made...Croffle. Did not see that one coming."

agreed rofl

Cant_Be_Faded
12-19-2009, 06:46 PM

- Mookie Crew

Hey dickless wonder, I been on the avatar bandwagon since day 1.

DPG21920
12-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Hey dickless wonder, I been on the avatar bandwagon since day 1.

Then you are a Blockbuster bandwagoning douche. Keep Austin weird bro. You sell out.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-19-2009, 06:58 PM
Then you are a Blockbuster bandwagoning douche. Keep Austin weird bro. You sell out.

:wow Took you a whole five minutes to come up with that one. So edgy.

monosylab1k
12-19-2009, 07:25 PM

- Mookie Crew

I don't think anybody scoffing Avatar (myself included) said the movie would be a piece of shit. All we said was that the trailer looked like a piece of shit.

monosylab1k
12-19-2009, 07:26 PM
I'll see it eventually but my hopes aren't high because the trailer was one of the dumbest I've seen all year.

Cant_Be_Faded
12-19-2009, 07:29 PM
wouldn't be the first time a trailer made a movie look like shit

Cant_Be_Faded
12-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Final Consensus:

Visuals were fucking absurd. I cant believe there are visuals like the ones he made in the movie. Its like we are in year 2035 and have those year visuals. Its like hallucinating.

But the plot and storyline was so bland and simple. There are SO MANY cheesy parts and dialogue.

Still its good, 8.5/10 and Visuals are 100000000/10.

That is exactly why this movie has been hyped up and exactly why I will see it once I locate some sticky icky.

ManuTP9
12-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Just got bakc from seeing this and i didnt like it. technologically it's brilliant but that can't save the mediocre characters and storyline. It was so bad i was having flashbacks to that awful and preachy Kevin Costner movie "The Postman".

Cameron should have spent some of that 500 million on decent writers instead of writing the script himself like he usually does.

People are saying this movie is missing something. That something is decent writing. Can't have a great movie without a great script.

mookie2001
12-19-2009, 11:59 PM
did you see the movie yet dpg90210? you better love that shit

DPG21920
12-20-2009, 01:28 AM
did you see the movie yet dpg90210? you better love that shit

Why would I have seen it? I will go check it out though. Just making a "hilarious because it's true" statement that you guys would make. Nothing to get your panties in a bunch peppers.

Jacob1983
12-20-2009, 01:37 AM
I guess this movie shouldn't have been nominated for 4 Golden Globes if it sucked ass so much. People that don't like this movie are probably the type that hate action/sci-fi/fantasy movies and love gay indie artsy movies. This movie was awesome. No debate. Waiting for this movie to come to DVD is a big fail. If you see this movie, you gotta see it in IMAX 3D. I'm not saying that this is the best movie of all time but seeing Avara in IMAX 3D was probably the best movie experience I've ever had.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2009, 02:44 AM
lol Golden Globes.

That's not a diss on Avatar -- it's a diss on the Golden Globes.

phyzik
12-20-2009, 02:45 AM
Going to see it tomorrow. Dont like going the first 2 days of a new release. Too many people in the theatre that could potentially ruin the experience.

Im going in with two mind sets.

1. Dont expect too much from the story.

2. Expect epic graphics.

I suspect my expectations will be met and am hoping they will be exceeded.

koriwhat
12-20-2009, 02:59 AM
i thought it was cool especially in 3d. just saw it last night at 8.

jag
12-20-2009, 05:05 AM
Saw it and i'd say it was pretty good. Nothing groundbreaking with the plot (though it kept me interested), but the visuals were impressive. Saw it 3d and was blown away by the "world" they created. Pretty creative stuff.

holcs50
12-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I agree with most peoples assessment. Saw it in just a regular Real3D theatre and did think it was a really amazing movie, visually. I didn't mind the story as much as others, I thought they built the characters up pretty well, and though it was predictable was still really entertaining. Going to see it again in imax 3D (and like one of the biggest imaxs in the country in irvine,ca), and I think that's going to kick ass. The love story was pretty good also but for some reason like prob an hour and 40 minutes in I lost some interest and it became silly-they started doing all these chants and bringing people back to life and what not and just got silly for awhile. Then the action started up though and it was pretty badass.

Honestly though the best part of the movie for me at least was the first like 90 minutes when he goes out and adventures in pandora and seeing all the new stuff for the first time, and the training from neytiri...and then prob my fav scene was the hike up into the clouds to find and tame the dragon thing they were going to ride...IMO its really an adventure movie more than anything else. Its tight though, you guys should check it out.

holcs50
12-20-2009, 09:51 AM
sounds really, really, really lame

why dont u just pay a big 10-15 bones and see it and stop bitching in a thread unless u can put in a decent perspective on the movie? I'm guessing you have enough time to take 2 and a half hours out of your life to see a movie? If not stop building your posts on stupid shit. I mean don't like it or do like it I could give a fuck but i dont get why you'd even read about peoples thoughts on it before you even see it or intend to see it? Just see it and if you don't don't bother making pointless comments in a thread obviously where people are now putting up what they thought of the movie.

DPG21920
12-20-2009, 11:43 AM
I love Sci-fi movies. I am definitely going to see it but the reviews are a MC special. "No sh*t a movie that spent 1009999 Trilliion dollars is going to have good visuals. If the story sucked and the visuals sucked, wtf did they spend their money onnnnnnnnnn?"

monosylab1k
12-20-2009, 12:37 PM
People that don't like this movie are probably the type that hate action/sci-fi/fantasy movies and love gay indie artsy movies.

Yeah that must be it.

So far it looks like the people gushing about how badass Avatar is are the same ones who liked Transformers 2. ROFL.

monosylab1k
12-20-2009, 12:40 PM
why dont u just pay a big 10-15 bones and see it and stop bitching in a thread unless u can put in a decent perspective on the movie? I'm guessing you have enough time to take 2 and a half hours out of your life to see a movie? If not stop building your posts on stupid shit. I mean don't like it or do like it I could give a fuck but i dont get why you'd even read about peoples thoughts on it before you even see it or intend to see it? Just see it and if you don't don't bother making pointless comments in a thread obviously where people are now putting up what they thought of the movie.

Damn straight Bro! They took err jobs!

http://www.majestyofbirds.com/w_BaldEagleflypatriotic_lrg.jpg

monosylab1k
12-20-2009, 12:41 PM
If you don't like this movie, you might as well move your faggot ass to Canada!

The Franchise
12-20-2009, 01:30 PM
It was actually a decent movie. The story wasn't great, but how many great storylines have we seen in the last thirty years? It was entertaining and that's all I really wanted it to be. If you haven't seen it then you should probably STFU because your opinion is pretty much useless.

DPG21920
12-20-2009, 01:53 PM
It was actually a decent movie. The story wasn't great, but how many great storylines have we seen in the last thirty years? It was entertaining and that's all I really wanted it to be. If you haven't seen it then you should probably STFU because your opinion is pretty much useless.

Have you seen Leprechaun in the Hood?

Jacob1983
12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Chumpshitter, have you actually seen the movie or are you just trying to be cool by saying that you don't like it?

thispego
12-20-2009, 03:04 PM
I love Sci-fi movies.

DPG21920
12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
And? Doesn't change the fact this was set up perfectly for the pepper>crew, like t-ball to rip on.

I been on the avatar bandwagon since day 1.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2009, 03:24 PM
Chumpshitter, have you actually seen the movie or are you just trying to be cool by saying that you don't like it?I have seen the Golden Globes once or twice.

http://www.magfundraising.com/dumpTemp/SPONSOR_817278_335074_43.gif

ChumpDumper
12-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Seriously, I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that District 9 cost half as much to make as Alvin and the Chipmunks.

DPG21920
12-20-2009, 03:42 PM
Seriously, I'm just trying to get my head around the fact that District 9 cost half as much to make as Alvin and the Chipmunks.

Heard that was good, but have not seen it yet.

ChumpDumper
12-20-2009, 04:03 PM
Heard that was good, but have not seen it yet.It's actually another take on the premise I described with all the movies I mentioned earlier as far as plot is concerned -- and it might be more similar to Avatar than any of them, but I thought it was a pretty impressive debut for the director. It manages to go over fairly familiar territory but avoids obvious cliche.

I'll ask a question about Avatar: at any time does the protagonist shout "woo-hoo!" or "yee-ha!" while flying or jumping or blowing something up? That's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Venti Quattro
12-20-2009, 04:11 PM
It doesn't suck. It's all good

ChumpDumper
12-20-2009, 04:13 PM
It's all opinion, which is indeed all good. I just enjoy people's virulence in defense of their personal tastes.

monosylab1k
12-20-2009, 05:57 PM
If you don't think Avatar is the most badass movie ever, just go to France and turn queer!

http://sas.guidespot.com/bundles/guides_09/assets/widget_cgbfNEcu1f4lMMQt0ygMH-.jpg

BadOdor
12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
Well, not that it comes close to being in the "transformers 2" category(then again, how many movies do?), but I expected more from the guy who made Terminator/Alien.

benefactor
12-20-2009, 07:00 PM
The protagonist does yell whoo-hoo a few times. Avatar doesn't live up to its hype, story wise, but the special effects and cinematography are epic.
This. You may or may not love the storyline as it has been used before, but the visuals are groundbreaking. Even with it's shortcomings, the story is well developed enough to keep one interested.

Capt Bringdown
12-20-2009, 08:27 PM
The folks in the theater were oohing and ahhing here in Thailand. As a movie buff, I've seen my share of flicks and don't get too excited about what's coming out of Hollywood these days.

The story was somewhat trite, but still entertaining.

But this one's all about the 3D visuals, which were spell-bindingly beautiful. I was going in with low expectations, as I'm not a huge fan of CGI, but this movie swept me off my feet with it's trippy 3D creations. I wouldn't have minded just 2.5 hours of simply exploring the planet Pandora.

Avatar deserves the superlatives and then some. Go see it in 3D, it's an experience.

CuckingFunt
12-20-2009, 08:50 PM
I saw this one last night and was prepared to hate it going in. I thought the script looked cheesy as hell and am not a fan of obtrusive CGI (am okay with either full animation or subtle effects, but tend to be distracted and taken out of a movie when it's a 50/50 split), so it had some big hurdles to get me to like it.

But, I did. Quite a bit, actually. Yes, the script WAS cheesy as hell. And the whole thing felt a little too long. But the performances were genuinely engaging and I got wholly sucked in.

Do have to say, though, that seeing this one any way other than in 3D in a theater would be stupid. The visuals are amazing. The texturing work on the CG was impeccable, as was the motion capture. And the 3D... as I was saying to a few friends of mine a bit ago, I've seen quite a few movies in 3D since its resurgence, but this is the first time I've ever had to stop myself (on three occasions) from trying to shoo away nonexistent flies.

sabar
12-20-2009, 09:09 PM
will change the way animations are made from here on out.

Naw, costs too much. Not the first time a movie came out with CGI way ahead of its time. That's why this stuffs only usually seen in like 30 second video game intros or trailers.

DPG21920
12-20-2009, 09:31 PM
Does it matter what theater you see it at? Is the 3d quality about the same everywhere?

mFFL03
12-21-2009, 12:00 AM
I just didn't get the 3D. I was expecting 3D to have things waving and flying over the audience. I wanted to reach out and almost feel the objects on the tip of your fingers.

This felt more like grounded 3D. I could tell the images were slightly popping out, and sure some scenes did look better than others. I would randomly flip my glasses up and look at the screen....sometimes you couldnt tell a difference at all.

When the audience saw the sign "put on your 3D glasses now" everyone said "oooohhh", unfortunately, no one actually said "oooooh" again as we actually went through the previews and the movie.

Great movie, great idea...but not the "3D" I was expecting.

I went to the Cinemark XD-3D experience.....anyone go to something different and see a different result?

Jacob1983
12-21-2009, 02:07 AM
Yeah, IMAX 3D would probably be the best. Avatar was awesome in IMAX 3D. There were some parts in the movie where it looked like the picture was coming out of the screen especially when a gun was pointed a certain way or if there were plants in the scene. Why don't people like action/sci-fi/fantasy movies anymore? Avatar has some of the best visual effects of any movie of all time.

mookie2001
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
i want to hear from someone who will buy this on dvd AND doesnt own lord of the rings harry potter movies

jag
12-21-2009, 02:23 AM
i want to hear from someone who will buy this on dvd AND doesnt own lord of the rings harry potter movies

lol does it bother you that much that people are liking this movie?

I've never seen a Harry Potter movie, and i don't own any of the Lord of the Rings movies. I might buy this on Bluray when it comes out cause i only saw it in 3D. Kinda like to see what it looks like when not in 3D.

MiamiHeat
12-21-2009, 02:25 AM
i am buying this on dvd and i dont own a single harry potter or lotr movie

mookie2001
12-21-2009, 02:30 AM
might see it

Ignignokt
12-21-2009, 02:41 AM
Dude, or you could totally not be a suckah and redbox it brosef!

mookie2001
12-21-2009, 02:54 AM
im cash only

Ignignokt
12-21-2009, 02:58 AM
im cash only

Just buy CBF two Jack in the crack tacos and tell him to use his card for the redbox.

phyzik
12-21-2009, 03:38 AM

I saw the first 2 Harry Potter movie as well as the firs 2 LoTR movies. Still havnt seen anything beyond that as far as those 2 movies are concerned.

I would buy it if I couldnt easily download it.

CubanSucks
12-21-2009, 04:41 AM

Don't own a single one of those films but will eventually download Avatar. (haven't actually paid for a dvd in a while)

So far from what I've read, the ones who have actually seen the movie tend to like it while all the haters posts are based off of their assumptions. I love clever and unique dialogue as much as the next person but there comes a time when you should maybe just forget about it, stop being such a smug prick, and just enjoy an unbelievably cool looking alien adventure epic. And who says the measurement of a societies intellect is based on their films anyways?

leemajors
12-21-2009, 05:00 AM
Does it matter what theater you see it at? Is the 3d quality about the same everywhere?

c'mon dude. as always, there are two competing 3D techs right now. One is awesome, the other side says it sucks.

leemajors
12-21-2009, 05:01 AM
Yeah, IMAX 3D would probably be the best. Avatar was awesome in IMAX 3D. There were some parts in the movie where it looked like the picture was coming out of the screen especially when a gun was pointed a certain way or if there were plants in the scene. Why don't people like action/sci-fi/fantasy movies anymore? Avatar has some of the best visual effects of any movie of all time.

isn't that the point of a third "dimension"?

alamo50
12-21-2009, 09:02 AM
Had my doubts with the new age smurfs, but DAMN this movie is AWESOME.
Whole different level of "watching" a movie.

CosmicCowboy
12-21-2009, 09:30 AM
I'm heading to the IMAX tomorrow night and will give y'all my redneck review.

lefty
12-21-2009, 10:00 AM
I watched the movie.

It's a total piece of shit, I want my money back

Visual effects were ok, nothing impressive

In10se
12-21-2009, 10:50 AM
Does it have any kind of a love story? My gf has been throwing the hints about going to the movies so I'm looking for something to take her too. I generally don't like watching movies at all just like I don't like much of anything on tv other than sports, but if I have to sit in a theater I'd rather watch this than some romantic comedy or junk like twilight. Will this movie appeal to women too or just LOTR type sci fi geeks?

benefactor
12-21-2009, 11:47 AM
Does it have any kind of a love story? My gf has been throwing the hints about going to the movies so I'm looking for something to take her too. I generally don't like watching movies at all just like I don't like much of anything on tv other than sports, but if I have to sit in a theater I'd rather watch this than some romantic comedy or junk like twilight. Will this movie appeal to women too or just LOTR type sci fi geeks?
I don't why people keep talking about LOTR. It's nothing like that.

To answer you question...yes, there is a love story. The visuals in the forest are probably enough to keep her interested too.

Thunder Dan
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I walked out after a half hour of that bullshit. It's a total nerd herd movie. The story sucks, the people look weird, and it's not believeable at all. Stupid movie.

I should say that I hate Lord of the Rings and I've never seen or wanted to see a Star Wars

benefactor
12-21-2009, 11:58 AM
lol believable

JoshO501
12-21-2009, 01:07 PM
lol believable

hahahaha

DPG21920
12-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Saw it last night in 3d and I have to say it was pretty damn impressive.

iggypop123
12-21-2009, 09:27 PM
saw it in imax 3d. i want my money back cameron

Jacob1983
12-22-2009, 12:30 AM
So if you don't like movies likes Avatar, what movies do you like? Milk? Brokeback Mountain? Juno?

Jacob1983
12-22-2009, 02:06 AM
All I'm saying is that if you're a guy and you don't like action movies then you're either a pussy and/or possibly a fag.

ChumpDumper
12-22-2009, 04:25 AM
Does one have to like every action movie ever made to avoid your homophobic wrath?

Or just the ones you use to reaffirm your sexuality?

whottt
12-22-2009, 06:19 AM
I'm a guy who did like Titanic, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy...

This movie sucked.

I mean yeah all the light effects and graphics were pretty but damn that story was cliched and overly simple.

I wish they just would have said this move is aimed at second graders.

Dances With The Ewoks Strike Back should have been the title.

By far the worst Cameron movie since The Abyss...aka Close Encounters of the Underwater Kind.

I will never see this movie again.

CosmicCowboy
12-22-2009, 09:17 AM
Ended up canceling on the IMAX trip for tonight...went on line last night to buy tickets and reserve seating was already sold out all the way to the back corners...the guy at the theater said if you wanted a good general admission seat you needed to be in line 2 hours early.

Fuck that. I'll wait till all the hysteria dies down.

JoshO501
12-22-2009, 12:07 PM
It has a cool love story, although I thought they perverted it a little when they made out. They should have used their pony tails, or tails to fuck, you'll see what I'm talking about.:lol I've tried watching all of the LOTR's and couldn't sit through any of them. This story falls short with the depth of the protagonist and the antagonist. Everything else was great... it could have been a classic.

I thought they were going to use their tails too. That would of been so funny.

JamStone
12-22-2009, 12:29 PM
I enjoyed it a lot. Visually stunning and the use of colors were really amazing. I don't know why you wouldn't be impressed by the graphics. It's pretty much a watershed moment in film with the new motion capture style graphics. You could actually feel the actors in the characters, especially in the faces, as opposed to feeling like they're just cartoon characters.

Yeah, the story was a rehashed version of Pocahontas, but for the most part, I didn't think its simplicity or cliched plot got in the way of the movie, until the end. Yea the love scene was somewhat awkward and the fact that Eywa could transfer spirits from body to body was way too easy a solution for what seemed like an impossible and unrealistic if not forbidden love. I didn't really like how he solved that dilemma way too easily.

But overall, I enjoyed the movie. Had some similarities to Star Wars in how they created new types of creatures and plants. But the graphics did make it unique, and it was a pretty impressive film visually.

Jacob1983
12-22-2009, 02:04 PM
When I used fag in my last post, I was using it in a lame way. In my opinion, fag does not always mean homosexual. It's a synonym for words like asshole, douche-bag, and dick. And for the record, I don't have homophobia because I'm not scared of homosexuals.

sook
12-22-2009, 02:16 PM
exactly what i thought it would be......fucking child's play and bullshit storyline.

God those blue things were so stupid, it sucked ass.:bang

ChumpDumper
12-22-2009, 06:06 PM
When I used fag in my last post, I was using it in a lame way. In my opinion, fag does not always mean homosexual. It's a synonym for words like asshole, douche-bag, and dick. And for the record, I don't have homophobia because I'm not scared of homosexuals.Yes, you were calling the men who don't care for action movies cigarettes.

Sure.

rr2418
12-22-2009, 06:10 PM
All I can say is, GREAT MOVIE!!! I don't know what people want or expect. One poster said the movie wasn't all that believable! Were they kidding? It's an adventure movie, a sci-fi flick! It's made up, geeez!!! What's wrong with having a simple story line? You guys that didn't like the movie, what storyline did you expect? It all comes down to everyone has their own taste in movies. While some people like let's say Adam Sandler movies, there are those who don't like them. Or how about Twilight? It's a popular movie, but it doesn't interest me at all. I always go into a theater with an open mind and let the movie take me to where ever it may go.

Jacob1983
12-22-2009, 11:54 PM
Chumpdumper, you're 100 percent right. Congrats! I bet Anthony Michael Hall is proud of you. Keep up the good work. But honestly, if you haven't seen this movie and think it's the shittiest movie ever, why are you posting about it?

Cant_Be_Faded
12-23-2009, 12:06 AM
So to recap this thread:

Cameron said from the beginning his goal was to provide the most cutting edge 3d visual experience ever. That's it.

People make fun of the movie because it's *gasp* getting hype. Most of which won't even go see it in 3D.

Everyone in this thread that's seen it but one has come back saying they liked it alot and the visuals were amazing.

Is anyone surprised by any of this?

ChumpDumper
12-23-2009, 01:11 AM
I don't think I would see it in any other way than 3D IMAX. Seems like a waste of money otherwise.

I am not surprised posters have gotten indignant and defensive about their personal taste in movies.

Jacob1983
12-23-2009, 01:18 AM
Fork out the money and go see it in IMAX 3D. It's worth it in my opinion.

CubanSucks
12-23-2009, 02:18 AM
Yes, you were calling the men who don't care for action movies cigarettes.

Sure.

you're an idiot

ChumpDumper
12-23-2009, 02:26 AM
you're an idiotThat's my line.

KidCongo
12-23-2009, 08:43 AM
I didn't see it in an IMAX and thought it was pretty awesome as I went in with no expectations. Sitting there for almost 3 hrs and not realising the time passing proved it was deffo worth it.

KidCongo
12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
I thought they were going to use their tails too. That would of been so funny.

Yer then imagine how those things would look after having a baby :rollin

EmptyMan
12-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I've never seen a 3d movie in theatres.

Do they hand out those blue and red paper glasses like they did 10 years ago?

I. Hustle
12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
I've never seen a 3d movie in theatres.

Do they hand out those blue and red paper glasses like they did 10 years ago?

No way dude, where have you been? They hand out contact lenses now. They give you a little case when you buy your tickets and then afterwards you just dispose of them in the trash. It's super convenient and you don't look all retarded. For the kiddos they have glasses that look like Ray-Bans but the knockoff version.

EmptyMan
12-23-2009, 09:58 AM
lol serious? I can't learn how to insert contact lenses on the fly like that :(

$50 for 4 people, FML. :lol

Dr Cox
12-23-2009, 06:41 PM
good movie

Cant_Be_Faded
12-23-2009, 11:57 PM
If Cameron was going to copy a storyline for Avatar, why did he have to use Fern Gully?

I have a buddy who texted me this very thing today.

Never saw fren gully but i cross referenced with a dude at work and he said he could definitely see the similarities.

lefty
12-24-2009, 09:52 AM
2nd worst movie ever

vander
12-24-2009, 05:51 PM
that movie really made me hate the human race, with the exception of hippies and tree-hugging scientists, our race is totally evil. our pursuit of material possessions, our desire to create creature comforts, luxuries, etc. is disgusting, shameful!!

I don't know if aliens exist, but if they do, they are obviously much more virtuous than us. for the good of the universe we all need to just fucking kill ourselves

Ignignokt
12-24-2009, 06:06 PM
that movie really made me hate the human race, with the exception of hippies and tree-hugging scientists, our race is totally evil. our pursuit of material possessions, our desire to create creature comforts, luxuries, etc. is disgusting, shameful!!

I don't know if aliens exist, but if they do, they are obviously much more virtuous than us. for the good of the universe we all need to just fucking kill ourselves

You should end your life as a sign of protest.

CubanSucks
12-24-2009, 06:34 PM

Sarcasm I hope?

EmptyMan
12-24-2009, 11:41 PM
Just saw it.

This movie was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. At least 45+ minutes too long. I can knock out a 6 hour drive and sit through a 3+ hour good movie easily so I am not "that guy" that easily drops this comment.

3d was the shit though. That was my first 3d movie. 3d looked best during the action sequences and there were a few instances where I did flinch because of the effects. I cannot wait to see how they implement 3d more in action movies.

lefty
12-24-2009, 11:59 PM
Just saw it.

This movie was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long. At least 45+ minutes too long. I can knock out a 6 hour drive and sit through a 3+ hour good movie easily so I am not "that guy" that easily drops this comment.

3d was the shit though. That was my first 3d movie. 3d looked best during the action sequences and there were a few instances where I did flinch because of the effects. I cannot wait to see how they implement 3d more in action movies.

I thought that the Alice in Wonderland trailer in 3D (they showed it just before playing Avatar) looked much better than Avatar in 3D

EmptyMan
12-25-2009, 11:18 AM
I thought that the Alice in Wonderland trailer in 3D (they showed it just before playing Avatar) looked much better than Avatar in 3D

True true. I would not normally go out and see Alice and Wonderland, but after seeing the preview in 3D it would easily be worth the $11.50. The weird style alice and wonderland is in would really set off the 3d technology.

lefty
12-25-2009, 01:10 PM
True true. I would not normally go out and see Alice and Wonderland, but after seeing the preview in 3D it would easily be worth the $11.50. The weird style alice and wonderland is in would really set off the 3d technology.

Yep

Viva Las Espuelas
12-26-2009, 12:51 PM
Ok. I just saw this at home yesterday. I was slipping in and out of conciousness during the film and I need some clarification. This may be a spoiler so you've been warned, film nerd. So sigourney weavers character came up with the avatar beings? And did she come up with the language they spoke? And how did the virtual world and reality fuse? Either that's the loose plot I've been hearing about or I slept through quite a bit.

Whisky Dog
12-26-2009, 01:30 PM
When does Alice come out? Will it be in 3D Imax too? I loved the cartoon for the crazy weirdness.

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Ok. I just saw this at home yesterday. I was slipping in and out of conciousness during the film and I need some clarification. This may be a spoiler so you've been warned, film nerd. So sigourney weavers character came up with the avatar beings? And did she come up with the language they spoke? And how did the virtual world and reality fuse? Either that's the loose plot I've been hearing about or I slept through quite a bit.

She is the spirit creator of the Avatars, in human form to watch over them. That's why the main character has to be sacrificed by the tribe in order for him to become the Great Bear Lion and send all the other humans to hell.

monosylab1k
12-26-2009, 06:43 PM
just got back from seeing it. And I guess the answer is yes....yes it's possible for every cliche imaginable to be crammed into 150 minutes of a really shitty story. But the visuals are a delight, it can kinda make up for the rest of it.

mookie2001
12-26-2009, 07:18 PM
But theyre hi tech 3d cgi cliches

Viva Las Espuelas
12-27-2009, 04:51 AM
She is the spirit creator of the Avatars, in human form to watch over them. That's why the main character has to be sacrificed by the tribe in order for him to become the Great Bear Lion and send all the other humans to hell.
I'll just watch it again. You kinda sorta just answered one question.

Bukefal
12-27-2009, 06:49 AM
I havent seen it, nor do I want to. I think it sucks. But I dont like such movies generally.

Jacob1983
12-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Back-to-back weekends at being the number 1 movie. Pretty good for a so-called shitty movie. And it only had about a 3 percent decrease from last weekend.

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Back-to-back weekends at being the number 1 movie. Pretty good for a so-called shitty movie.

I guess you're a big "New Moon" fan too.

Jacob1983
12-28-2009, 12:35 AM
Actually, no I'm not. Vampires should not be pussies in my opinion. I was just stating that Avatar has had a decent run at the box office. I believe it broke the record this weekend for biggest weekend worldwide ever.

Jacob1983
12-28-2009, 12:49 AM
How many of you have actually seen Avatar?

Fpoonsie
12-28-2009, 12:50 AM
:rollin

Oh...my...god. That was GREATNESS.

mookie2001
12-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Do any of you remember Ferngully The Last Rain Forest. Cameron stole his entire story from that cartoon. Called it sci-fi, took it to another planet, and made it 3D, and he'll make billions off a cut and paste film
yes mentioned all over the internets, in this thread and this thread, http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139054 (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139054)

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Actually, no I'm not. Vampires should not be pussies in my opinion.

Yeah but it's making lots of money, so therefore it's not a piece of shit. Right?

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 01:09 AM
How many of you have actually seen Avatar?

I did. The story was fucking retarded.

whottt
12-28-2009, 02:42 AM
If you can watch this movie and no think the story completely sucks, is hackneyed, cliched, trite...you just haven't seen enough movies to be a qualified judge.

It's exactly that and not anything else.

Jacob1983
12-28-2009, 03:20 AM
I believe that Avatar received 4 Golden Globe nominations including Best Director and Best Picture. The pussy vampire movie did not get a Best Director or Best Picture nomination. And the pussy vampire movie has a horrible rating at rottentomatoes. Avatar has a very high rating at rottentomatoes. If you hate Avatar and/or think it sucks then you're in a very small minority. Congrats!

whottt
12-28-2009, 03:23 AM
I believe that Avatar received 4 Golden Globe nominations including Best Director and Best Picture. The pussy vampire movie did not get a Best Director or Best Picture nomination. And the pussy vampire movie has a horrible rating at rottentomatoes. Avatar has a very high rating at rottentomatoes. If you hate Avatar and/or think it sucks then you're in a very small minority. Congrats!

You need proof that story is completely ripped off and cliched? There's nothing original about it and this is easily provable. Just because there are lot of stupid people doesn't mean they stop being stupid.

Jacob1983
12-28-2009, 03:30 AM
Haven't you ever seen the South Park episode when they make fun of The Simpsons ripping off everyone? I will admit that if you look deep you can see some similarities between Ferngully and Avatar but I would still say Avatar is a pretty decent original movie. Besides, if you really compare movie A and movie B, you can find some similarities. Was Ferngully in 3D IMAX? Was Ferngully live action? Avatar dealt with aliens and virtual reality on an alien planet. Ferngully was about hippie fairies in a forest. You're just a hater.

jacobdrj
12-28-2009, 03:37 AM
Well, my mom dragged me into the movie. It was long. It had some re-hashed plot (Pocahontas anyone?) and the only character that looked 'real' in CGI was Weavers' Avatar, ironically. I would say the movie would have been better had it been done like Final Fantasy. I will never watch it again, as it was too long and just didn't capture my interest. However, I did love the scope of the movie and enjoyed the 'living planet' angle.

This was another Cameron "well told story" and worth watching once, even if you can't get past the preaching.

I would say, if you haven't seen it already, do so at the matinee/dollar theater and with someone whose company you enjoy, to help pass the time during the 'boring' parts.

6/10 - Above Average

whottt
12-28-2009, 03:54 AM
Haven't you ever seen the South Park episode when they make fun of The Simpsons ripping off everyone? I will admit that if you look deep you can see some similarities between Ferngully and Avatar but I would still say Avatar is a pretty decent original movie. Besides, if you really compare movie A and movie B, you can find some similarities. Was Ferngully in 3D IMAX? Was Ferngully live action? Avatar dealt with aliens and virtual reality on an alien planet. Ferngully was about hippie fairies in a forest. You're just a hater.

I'm really not a hater.

I liked Titanic.
I liked the Terminator.

I am a huge fans of Aliens...it's one of my favorite movies, like top 10.

I am generally a James Cameron fan...this was the worst movie I have ever seen from him. It's worse than True Lies.

If this wins best picture or he wins best director it's a travesty.

The only award anyone needs to be winning from this is animation and special effects. No one else involved with this movie deserves to be anywhere near an Academy Award, especially James Cameron.

It's not just like Ferngully either, it's just like a lot of movies in the past 20 years...blatant ripoffs, even dialogue.

And the only way you won't see that if if you just haven't seen that many movies.

That IMO, is who this movie will be most popular with, those that haven't seen very many movies.

ChumpDumper
12-28-2009, 04:07 AM
I believe that Avatar received 4 Golden Globe nominations including Best Director and Best Picture. The pussy vampire movie did not get a Best Director or Best Picture nomination. And the pussy vampire movie has a horrible rating at rottentomatoes. Avatar has a very high rating at rottentomatoes. If you hate Avatar and/or think it sucks then you're in a very small minority. Congrats!lol Golden Globes.

jacobdrj
12-28-2009, 04:09 AM
I'm really not a hater.

I liked Titanic.
I liked the Terminator.

I am a huge fans of Aliens...it's one of my favorite movies, like top 10.

I am generally a James Cameron fan...this was the worst movie I have ever seen from him. It's worse than True Lies.

If this wins best picture or he wins best director it's a travesty.

The only award anyone needs to be winning from this is animation and special effects. No one else involved with this movie deserves to be anywhere near an Academy Award, especially James Cameron.

It's not just like Ferngully either, it's just like a lot of movies in the past 20 years...blatant ripoffs, even dialogue.

And the only way you won't see that if if you just haven't seen that many movies.

That IMO, is who this movie will be most popular with, those that haven't seen very many movies.
Very astute observations.

monosylab1k
12-28-2009, 12:43 PM
And yes, the visuals are groundbreaking and incredible. But the story freaking blows.

jman3000
12-28-2009, 12:44 PM
Story was meh, but the visuals and the overall experience make it a must see. Especially in 3d. I got lost in it and I was going in with low expectations.

Drachen
12-28-2009, 12:50 PM
I have a scar over on my cornea over my pupil on my left eye, 3d films don't really work for me. With that being said, should I see it for the visuals? I honestly cant think of another reason why I would want to see it. The previews make the story look shitty.

lefty
12-28-2009, 12:52 PM
And yes, the visuals are groundbreaking and incredible. But the story freaking blows.
I didn't find the visual effects to be wow

I'm sure Alice in Wonderland looks better in 3D

mookie2001
12-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Was Ferngully in 3D IMAX?
ROFLROFL i dont know was it??

im seeing in this thread its worth it because the special effects are awesome, well...Hnaturally we all knew that, are those the movies yall buy on dvd and list as your favorites? que lastima

Jacob1983
12-28-2009, 01:36 PM
What about score and original song? It could get nominated for those and win. I'm guessing that you haters must think all of the LOTR movies are just terrible and didn't deserve any Oscars.

Dr. Gonzo
12-28-2009, 01:37 PM
What about score and original song? It could get nominated for those and win. I'm guessing that you haters must think all of the LOTR movies are just terrible and didn't deserve any Oscars.

I believe this. Not because I'm a "hater" but because I found those movies to be boring as shit.

ChumpDumper
12-28-2009, 03:25 PM
What about score and original song? It could get nominated for those and win. I'm guessing that you haters must think all of the LOTR movies are just terrible and didn't deserve any Oscars.Or Golden Globes!

Viva Las Espuelas
12-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Do any of you remember Ferngully The Last Rain Forest. Cameron stole his entire story from that cartoon. Called it sci-fi, took it to another planet, and made it 3D, and he'll make billions off a cut and paste film. He also stole the name Avatar from the Asian cartoon the Last Airbender

D-SVpZrnF34&feature

He's a sharp one, folks.

PixelPusher
12-28-2009, 06:37 PM
Just got back from a theater that showed it with "Real 3D". The 3D effect during the movie was more subtle than during the previews for Shrek and Alice in Wonderland, which was just annoying as hell. It was pretty watchable, but an occasional gun or arrow would take me out of it and remind me that I was wearing funky glasses in a theater. Still needs work.

Red Hawk #21
12-28-2009, 07:54 PM
I saw Avatar last night, I thought it was a wonderful movie. I was so into the movie that when it finally ended it felt like I just left another world. Anyone who hasn't seen it yet should check it out, and watch it in 3D also.