PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Notebook: Spurs' Mason shows off all-around game

duncan228
11-26-2009, 11:50 PM
Notebook: Spurs' Mason shows off all-around game (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Notebook_Spurs_Mason_shows_off_all-around_game.html)
Mike Monroe

It was no surprise that Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. was singled out for praise from coach Gregg Popovich after he helped the Spurs get past the pesky Golden State Warriors on Wednesday night at the AT&T Center.

It was moderately amazing Popovich didn't mention the hot shooting that produced Mason's season-high 17 points.

“Everybody just thinks of Roger as a shooter, but he had a really good floor game,” Popovich said. “He played good defense against tough scorers, and at the other end, he penetrated, he passed, he found open people. He did a good job.”

Mason had five assists and six rebounds in the Spurs' 118-104 victory and took a share of the work that cooled off Golden State's red-hot Monta Ellis, who finished with 42 points — but only had four free throws in the fourth quarter.

“I'm definitely trying to show more than just shooting,” Mason said. “Playing good defense, passing the ball, getting some rebounds. That's what I have to provide for the team.”

Mason's all-around game didn't go unnoticed by teammates.

“He's rebounding the ball, driving the lane, getting assists,” said Richard Jefferson. “When he's playing that aggressive basketball, that opens up his shot more. He's getting into the paint and shooting some free throws. He hadn't shot any free throws the first few games. Now, he's getting to the line a couple of times, attacking the basket, and good things are happening.”

Thoughts on A.I.: Spurs center-forward Antonio McDyess was shocked Wednesday to hear that Allen Iverson, his teammate last season on the Detroit Pistons, had announced he was retiring.

“He's a good teammate and a great player,” McDyess said. “It was just unfortunate he couldn't find a spot in someone's system that could work for a team.”

McDyess won't be surprised if Iverson ends up playing again this season, in spite of his retirement announcement.

“No, but it won't surprise me if he doesn't play again, either,” he said. “He burned a lot of bridges, so maybe nobody wants to take a chance on him.

“I could see him overseas. Somebody over there might be willing to pay him a boatload of money.”

FkLA
11-27-2009, 12:15 AM
I was pleasantly surprised with his penetration and kick outs, definitely. The shooting was expected despite how bad some fans were dissing him early in the season. Here's hoping he becomes a solid contributor to the team again :toast

Interrohater
11-27-2009, 01:27 AM
Yea, I'm sure that has been his best game so far this season. He's a pure shooter, so you know that his shot would eventually come around. I also don't think his defense is as bad as some make it out to be. Not great, mind you, but he's not a matador.

Leetonidas
11-27-2009, 01:43 AM
It's funny how like every single player (except for Ian/Hasilip/Hairston) has looked really good at one point in the season and really bad at one point too. :lol

But Mason looked really good in the last game. He was setting up his teammates, making shots, driving to the basket, etc.

quentin_compson
11-27-2009, 05:37 AM
But Mason looked really good in the last game. He was setting up his teammates, making shots, driving to the basket, etc.

And he was more active on the defensive end, as well. Hopefully, that is something we will be seeing more often from now on.