PDA

View Full Version : A question for Austin residents

flipcritic
11-27-2009, 08:21 AM
Sorry if it's not Spurs related, but knowing that many of you guys are from Austin, is this guide any good? I might be heading there for a project.

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/11/29/travel/29hours.html

Dex
11-27-2009, 08:30 AM
Everything but #1.

spursincharge
11-27-2009, 09:44 AM
The article fails to mention attending an Austin Toros game. Anyone else going to Toros opening night tonight?

YoMamaIsCallin
11-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Yeah it's not bad. Are you interested in anything in particular?

one lucky
11-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Agree not number one. Zilker Park and Barton Springs. Town Lake Hike and Barbecue and bike Trail. Stubb's barbecue fand for good music.

leemajors
11-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Salt Lick sucks. If you want badass BBQ head out to Luling or Lockhart, nothing in Austin itself is that great.

austN Spur
11-27-2009, 01:45 PM
zilker park is having the trail of lights for the holidays this month. which is something pretty neat to see. i would go see the toros, however the Horns are ranked no 3 and have been playing well. so if i did go to a game it would definately be the Horns college bball

flipcritic
11-27-2009, 07:44 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. I'm interested in anything worth seeing. I was just curious because from previous posts, most "Austinites" seemed to describe their city as incredibly boring. :lol

Dex
11-27-2009, 07:54 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. I'm interested in anything worth seeing. I was just curious because from previous posts, most "Austinites" seemed to describe their city as incredibly boring. :lol

Really? That's surprising.

As a young adult, I love Austin. I find the lifestyle here much more relaxing at times, and exciting at others. San Antonio was comfortable, but got dull.

The people here seem to be as friendly as you'll find anywhere in Texas (albeit a little aggressive behind the wheel), and there is tons to look for in the city in the way of entertainment. There's always lots of music and live bands to find if you know where to look (Downtown, Warehouse District, and places like Stubbs and Backyard are good places to start). Plenty of places to grub or find a good drink. And it's got a fair share of seasonal events (ACL, SxSW, Green Belt / Barton Springs, Eeyores, Trail of Lights, Marleyfest, Wine/Chocolate/Ice Cream Festival) and the UT scene.

I got to meet Mike Judge and most of the cast from Office Space (like Michael Bolton, Samir, Lumberg, and Milton) at an anniversary showing they did at the Paramount. Where else you gonna get to do something like that?

That just surprises me, because most of the people I know are very happy to be here. Even when I tell someone that I live in Austin, they usually rant like it's the bee's knees. :blah

CubanMustGo
11-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I rate this article a solid "meh":

(1) BS. Austin doesn't dress "Western," by and large.
(2) Salt Lick is highly overrated. I prefer Iron Works but haven't been there in years.
(3) Long Center is cool but surprisingly small for a 2000 seat hall.
(4) Lots of cyclists in and around Austin, one of which will surprise you by actually stopping at a stop sign.
(5) Yup. (6) Yup. (7) Yup.
(8) No experience.
(9) & (10) Yup!!
(11) Never heard anyone refer to the east of Austin as the Hill Country, go to Marble Falls/Johnson City/Blanco/Fredericksburg/Burnet/Llano if you want the Hill Country. Nothing wrong with Bastrop but it's not the Hill Country.

Light rail is NOT planned. Extremely limited, not suitable for tourists, pricey commuter rail is and is incredibly over budget and behind schedule. Southwest is the major airline at ABIA.

CubanMustGo
11-28-2009, 12:08 AM
zilker park is having the trail of lights for the holidays this month. which is something pretty neat to see. i would go see the toros, however the Horns are ranked no 3 and have been playing well. so if i did go to a game it would definately be the Horns college bball

Trail of Lights is cool but is being cut back by about 50% due to budget problems at city hall.

Re UT, agree and you can prolly get a decent seat fairly cheap.

Winehole23
11-28-2009, 03:51 AM
Thanks a bunch guys. I'm interested in anything worth seeing. I was just curious because from previous posts, most "Austinites" seemed to describe their city as incredibly boring. :lolThe NYT guide is ok. Looks up to date, anyway.

You might check this out:

http://www.austinchronicle.com/