PDA

View Full Version : Rashard Lewis could try to recoup suspension money

duncan228
11-27-2009, 03:21 PM
Lewis could try to recoup suspension money (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=mc-afterthebuzzer112709&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Marc J. Spears

Orlando Magic forward Rashard Lewis and his representatives have taken an interest in the court cases involving Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Pat Williams and Kevin Williams. If the players successfully fight the NFL’s attempts to suspend them for violating that league’s anti-doping policy, then Lewis may seek to recover some of the $1.8 million he lost in salary resulting from his 10-game suspension.

The NBA suspended Lewis for violating its anti-drug agreement after he tested positive for an over-the-counter supplement commonly known as DHEA. The NFL attempted to suspend the two Vikings players four games after they both tested positive for a banned substance during training camp in 2008. They admitted to taking an over-the-counter weight loss supplement called StarCaps, which did not state on the label that it contained a banned diuretic. The players have so far successfully won an injunction prohibiting their suspension. A Minnesota trial to decide the issue is expected to take place after the season. Lewis said his representation agency and lawyers have been following the Williamses’ case closely and hoping the outcome can help him.

Lewis hopes to argue that DHEA, which elevates testosterone levels, is legally available for purchase, and therefore he shouldn’t have received such a harsh penalty. While most professional sports leagues prohibit DHEA, the MLB players union has successfully kept it off baseball’s list of banned substances.

“It’s a lot of money they took from me,” Lewis said. “I told [the NBA] my mistake was an honest mistake. They supported me and was behind me 100 percent. But just the fact that it was in the rule book, they had to suspend me.”

Lewis was surprised about the suspension, but said when he was playing for the Seattle SuperSonics the team told him he had high testosterone levels, but it wasn’t an issue. His test with the Magic, however, came back even higher than normal.

“I don’t want to make it a real big deal because it was my fault,” Lewis said. “I didn’t make the trainer look at it to make sure it wasn’t a banned substance. But it wasn’t nothing crazy. It wasn’t HGH. It’s just my testosterone level was high.

“That’s why we are looking forward to what the doctors say to see what is really going on, to see why my levels are always high.”

redzero
11-27-2009, 03:25 PM
He's already being paid twice as much as he's worth, so he shouldn't try to be too greedy.

pauls931
11-27-2009, 03:43 PM
He's already being paid twice as much as he's worth, so he shouldn't try to be too greedy.

Orlando should be suing him for lack of output, and rasheed like 3 point shooting.

noob cake
11-27-2009, 04:08 PM
This 13/6 on 34% shooter getting paid $80m within the next 4 years.

Soul
11-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Because 13/6 are his career averages, and he hasnt only played 6 games this season.

Great deduction noob cake.

(p.s. he really sholdnt, he is overpaid)

Bob Lanier
11-27-2009, 05:05 PM
He's already being paid twice as much as he's worth
Meaningless.

Allanon
11-27-2009, 05:28 PM
$2 million buckaroos there; can't blame him for wanting it back.

But he won't get it.

duhoh
11-27-2009, 07:46 PM
he's doing more for orlando then what he did for us in seattle (i'm a seattle local)