PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on our beloved Mavs tonight

Ghazi
11-27-2009, 10:05 PM
I didn't see the game, but the score is giving me a boner. Recall last year the Mavs were blown out a shitload and had to win a bunch of close games. This year thus far the Mavs have been the ones blowing teams out, and haven't been truly run off the court thus far.

Kudos to our FO and their upgrades to the team :toast

And to think, this without our ALL STAR small forward.

DEPTH MODE.

mavs>spurs2
11-27-2009, 10:07 PM
yup, we've been really impressive so far, with the exception of a couple of lapses. I think those are excusable considering how many new guys we brought in and we're still in the process of jelling quite nicely

Findog
11-27-2009, 10:10 PM
It's November and this is nice and all, but let's not start sucking each other's dicks quite yet.

Findog
11-27-2009, 10:11 PM
By the way, can somebody explain to me why the Spurs are "legitimate contenders" and we are not? I'm not saying we are legitimate contenders, but why are the Spurs given that designation? How is Dick working out for $14 mil a year?

mavs>spurs2
11-27-2009, 10:16 PM
By the way, can somebody explain to me why the Spurs are "legitimate contenders" and we are not? I'm not saying we are legitimate contenders, but why are the Spurs given that designation? How is Dick working out for $14 mil a year?

Anyone who thinks the spurs are contenders are retarded and/or fat beaners

badfish22
11-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Just beating the shit out of teams were supposed to. Rockets then Pacers.

dirk4mvp
11-27-2009, 11:13 PM

Are you serious?

4 rings, faggot

endrity
11-27-2009, 11:25 PM
The part I loved the most was the Pacers commentators drooling over the Mavs. A lot of welcomed love by those guys!

BUMP
11-28-2009, 01:58 AM
We are so much deeper this year than last.

Our bench, with Tim Thomas, Barea, Humphries, Gooden has the experience necessary to keep building the lead against inferior teams.

MavDynasty
11-28-2009, 02:29 AM
We are so much deeper this year than last.

Our bench, with Tim Thomas, Barea, Humphries, Gooden has the experience necessary to keep building the lead against inferior teams.

Damn,

Terry
Roddy
Gooden
Barea
Humphries
Thomas
Singleton

All off the bench

FkLA
11-28-2009, 02:39 AM

You dont get it, your boys in blue simply do not demand the respect the Spurs do. And its not just the fact that the Spurs have four rings and the Mavs dont but also the way the Mavs simply crumbled in 2006 and 2007. Maybe we are too old and maybe we dont win this year but you still cant underestimate a team like the Spurs, theyre still a team thats worthy of fearing. Youre Mavs until they prove otherwise simply are not.

jag
11-28-2009, 02:47 AM
You dont get it, your boys in blue simply do not demand the respect the Spurs do. And its not just the fact that the Spurs have four rings and the Mavs dont but also the way the Mavs simply crumbled in 2006 and 2007. Maybe we are too old and maybe we dont win this year but you still cant underestimate a team like the Spurs, theyre still a team thats worthy of fearing. Youre Mavs until they prove otherwise simply are not.

Stop living in the past...you make Spurs fan look retarded.

As far as this season is concerned, the Mavs have looked healthier and more consistent than the Spurs. Whether or not you consider the Spurs contenders, it's hard not to consider the Mavs contenders.

FkLA
11-28-2009, 02:55 AM
Its not living in the past at all, the Spurs simply have earned respect that the Mavs have not. Saying the Mavs are contenders is like saying the Suns are title contenders right now because of their 13-3 record despite their previous history which has proved that the run and gun style doesnt work...until they prove otherwise their run and gun style wont be taken seriously. Same with the Mavs, whether Mavs fans want to admit it or not the way they crumbled in 06 and 07 gave them a reputation of not being able to get it done in the big stage. They have yet to prove that belief about them wrong and until they do its hard for anyone to take them seriously.

badfish22
11-28-2009, 03:04 AM
Its not living in the past at all, the Spurs simply have earned respect that the Mavs have not. Saying the Mavs are contenders is like saying the Suns are title contenders right now because of their 13-3 record despite their previous history which has proved that the run and gun style doesnt work...until they prove otherwise their run and gun style wont be taken seriously. Same with the Mavs, whether Mavs fans want to admit it or not the way they crumbled in 06 and 07 gave them a reputation of not being able to get it done in the big stage. They have yet to prove that belief about them wrong and until they do its hard for anyone to take them seriously.

Not a good comparison. Mavs don't use a run and gun style, and we have gotten to the finals (unlike Phoenix)
Keep reaching though :toast

On a different note, does anyone else think "simply" is the most over used word on internet forums. Or is it just me? Anytime a retard tries to make an argument they make sure to throw simply in there once or twice. Maybe it makes them feel smart.
ahh well its late and im ranting about nothing :lol

iggypop123
11-28-2009, 03:07 AM
josh howard is not an all star, at least not in the west

mystargtr34
11-28-2009, 03:09 AM

Whats with all the Jefferson hate? Were people expecting him to put up 25-5-5 on a team with Duncan, Parker and Manu? He is obviously still finding his way playing with Tony and Tim, but they have been in and out of the lineup, so its still early. He is still getting to the line, and putting up 14-4-3 with efficienct shooting. You of all people should know what he is capable of when he is able to create and get it going.

To asnwer your question, Spurs are probably given a bit more leeway since, well, they have won three championships with this core group. Add to that, they are not exactly known for coming out of the blocks firing on all cylinders and playing their star players 40 MPG right out of the gate like the Lakers. Manu, Duncan and Parker have been in and out of the lineup, and they are integrating McDyess and Jefferson, two key players, into the lineup.

Mavs have had their share of injuries to, and are intergrating new players - so i expect both teams to continue to get better. Having said that, i think its slightly easier to get by without hustle players and scorers like Howard and Marion, as opposed to guys that create the majority of the offense like Parker and Manu.

FkLA
11-28-2009, 03:18 AM
Not a good comparison. Mavs don't use a run and gun style, and we have gotten to the finals (unlike Phoenix)

On a different note, does anyone else think "simply" is the most over used word on internet forums. Or is it just me? Anytime a retard tries to make an argument they make sure to throw simply in there once or twice. Maybe it makes them feel smart.

Wow you completely missed the point. It wasnt comparing the teams' style of play but the reputation that the teams have aquired...Suns havent done anything to prove that their system will win a title regardless of how many regular season wins they get and until they do will not be taken seriously. Just like the Mavs havent done anything to disprove the belief that they cant get it done on the big stage.

But yeah keep on believing that the past means absolutely nothing and that teams/people fear the Mavs as much as they do the Spurs. Shit I guess the Hawks are right up there as well who gives a fuck that they are still young and inexperienced and have no reputation to speak of other than a couple of first round exits.

badfish22
11-28-2009, 03:19 AM
Wow you completely missed the point. It wasnt comparing the teams' style of play but the reputation that the teams have aquired...Suns havent done anything to prove that their system will win a title regardless of how many regular season wins they get and until they do will not be taken seriously. Just like the Mavs havent done anything to disprove the belief that they cant get it done on the big stage.

But yeah keep on believing that the past means absolutely nothing and that teams/people fear the Mavs as much as they do the Spurs. Shit I guess the Hawks are right up there as well who gives a fuck that they are still young and inexperienced.

But the Mavs have gotten to the Finals. So they won the west. So they proved they can be serious competitors in the Playoffs.

Get it now?

FkLA
11-28-2009, 03:21 AM
But the Mavs have gotten to the Finals. So they won the west. So they proved they can be serious competitors in the Playoffs.

Get it now?

Which they followed up with one of the biggest meltdowns in NBA Finals history and an embarrasing loss to an 8th seed the following year. Hence, the 'they cant get it done on the big stage' reputation. Your boys in blue need to disprove that belief before you can stand here and demand respect that they SIMPLY havent earned.

Get it now?

badfish22
11-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Question: Do you consider the Cavs competitors? Did you consider them competitors last year?

FkLA
11-28-2009, 03:39 AM
Question: Do you consider the Cavs competitors? Did you consider them competitors last year?

Not going into last year I didnt, I did after they won 66 games though and I did heading into this season. Not the same though man, Cleveland's core doesnt have the bad reputation Dallas has. They dont have a negative belief about them to disprove the way Dallas does.

Im going to be honest, up 2-0 in the series and by 10+ heading into the 4th qtr of Game 3...to this day I still feel the Mavs were the best team in 2006. They simply gave/choked it away, that was their title to win. The 2007 team even when you guys were down 3-1 to GS I feared a Dallas come back, I felt they were the best team in the NBA and back with a vengeance after what happened in 2006. So I mean its not like the Mavs werent given their fair chance, there was a time when I and many other people feared your boys in blue and felt they were capable of winning it all but they completely fucked everything up and built themselves a reputation that will not be removed until they actually win.

Xevious
11-28-2009, 03:47 AM
If the Spurs had won game seven in 2006, they would've won the title that year. But if the Mavs hadn't choked to the Warriors in 07, the Spurs wouldn't have won the title that year. :lol

Seriously though... much respect for the Mavs. The trash talk between Spurs and Mavs fans gets old. Both teams are worthy of respect IMO. And regardless of their playoff struggles, nobody can deny that the Mavs give the Spurs problems, Tim said so himself. But both teams have been missing players during their two meetings this season. It'll be fun when both are at full strength. :toast

ezau
11-28-2009, 03:51 AM
IMHO, the Mavs are looking good and I think they have the potential to reach the WCF. From that point on, everything can happen. The only thing that holds them back is their inconsistency. Seriously, how can you win against the Lakers and lose against the Warriors? It's quite baffling actually. Still, they look good on paper and a lineup of Kidd, Terry, Marion,Howard, and Nowitzki is something you don't take lightly.

Xevious
11-28-2009, 04:00 AM
IMHO, the Mavs are looking good and I think they have the potential to reach the WCF. From that point on, everything can happen. The only thing that holds them back is their inconsistency. Seriously, how can you win against the Lakers and lose against the Warriors? It's quite baffling actually. Still, they look good on paper and a lineup of Kidd, Terry, Marion,Howard, and Nowitzki is something you don't take lightly.
Sounds like a small-ball, run-and-gun lineup. Good luck with that against the Lakers' front court.

DJB
11-28-2009, 04:14 AM
LOL Mavs fans getting hyped about how they play good regular season basketball. :lol

Must suck to have never won shit.

Culburn369
11-28-2009, 04:19 AM
Must suck to have never won shit.

That 4-1 ass pounding withstanding.

tee, hee.

leemajors
11-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Pop just doesn't know quite how to handle a $14 million dick, it can take some getting used to.

spursncowboys
11-28-2009, 11:32 AM

WIth AJ, the greatest coach you'll ever have. Carlisle does a run and gun offense. Maybe not as much as Dantoni but I haven't seen half court sets. Maybe I am wrong, I don't watch the Mavs too often.

spursncowboys
11-28-2009, 11:36 AM
I think the reason why the Mavs are not legit contenders, beside the obvious reason of not being in the media coastlines. It is probably like the Spurs before Duncan. Every year they never talked about the Spurs as legit contenders, even though they always had one of the best reg season records. Also the media people wrote off Dallas a few years back and you guys haven't really gotten better in the main positions. You guys are like the Utah or Seattle of the 90's. Good but no one gave them respect either. They snuck in one Finals but didn't do much beyond.

Findog
11-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Seriously, how can you win against the Lakers and lose against the Warriors?

It's called a trap game.

duhoh
11-28-2009, 12:41 PM
i think it's all matchups.

SA has DAL
DAL has GSW
LA has CHA
and last season ORL had DET

Findog
11-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Whats with all the Jefferson hate? Were people expecting him to put up 25-5-5 on a team with Duncan, Parker and Manu? He is obviously still finding his way playing with Tony and Tim, but they have been in and out of the lineup, so its still early. He is still getting to the line, and putting up 14-4-3 with efficienct shooting. You of all people should know what he is capable of when he is able to create and get it going.

To asnwer your question, Spurs are probably given a bit more leeway since, well, they have won three championships with this core group. Add to that, they are not exactly known for coming out of the blocks firing on all cylinders and playing their star players 40 MPG right out of the gate like the Lakers. Manu, Duncan and Parker have been in and out of the lineup, and they are integrating McDyess and Jefferson, two key players, into the lineup.

Mavs have had their share of injuries to, and are intergrating new players - so i expect both teams to continue to get better. Having said that, i think its slightly easier to get by without hustle players and scorers like Howard and Marion, as opposed to guys that create the majority of the offense like Parker and Manu.

I think it's too early to give up on the Spurs, but I'm surprised they are having trouble integrating Jefferson. Or is the "problem" that he goes from a #1 option in Milwaukee to a #4 option in San Antonio? He seemed like the old Jefferson the night against us when Timmy and Tony were out.

I understand that the Spurs are being accorded the respect of having won 3 championships with this core, but all the BSPN "experts" loved the Jefferson move and said it instantly vaulted the Spurs back into the conversation with LA, Boston, Cleveland and Orlando, whereas they totally shit on our moves. And I wouldn't bet money on Dallas winning the championship this year, but I think we had a great offseason and are much-improved. The idea that San Antonio was the only team that could realistically challenge the Lakers for conference supremacy hasn't been borne out so far. Both Dallas and Denver look like stronger challengers. Of course, it's still November and all...

Findog
11-28-2009, 12:54 PM
WIth AJ, the greatest coach you'll ever have. Carlisle does a run and gun offense. Maybe not as much as Dantoni but I haven't seen half court sets. Maybe I am wrong, I don't watch the Mavs too often.

Yes, you are wrong and don't watch the Mavs often.