PDA

View Full Version : Blair aggressiveness...

ElNono
11-28-2009, 12:09 AM
I remember on the preseason that Blair had a few dunks until 'The Incident', then I don't think I saw any more. Tonight he had at least 2 chances where he clearly could have dunked. He instead went for somewhat difficult layups, one of which he missed.

You think the kid might be a little concerned with not pissing off the powers that be?
It's entirely possible also that I'm reading too much into this...

myhc
11-28-2009, 12:15 AM
Sorry, can you remind me what the "Incident" was about again?

Interrohater
11-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Interesting thought. I will admit that I, too, have wondered aloud during a game "Why didn't he throw it down?" When he does get an offensive rebound, or a great interior pass, he's normally so close to the basket that he can dunk it two-handed.

I don't know if Pop's criticism had anything to do with it, but he definitely doesn't seem to be as aggressive as he has shown he can be. Even in this game, where he played against the same guys he dominated in preseason.

Interrohater
11-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Sorry, can you remind me what the "Incident" was about again?

During the preseason, Dejuan slapped the backboard during an aggressive move in order to intimidate his opponent. Pop did not appreciate it and chastised Dejuan for showboating.

Mel_13
11-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Nah.

I've noticed Blair going up and under the rim since the preseason. Even when the front of the rim looks open, it seems to be his preferred move. I think it's just reasonable that an undersized big would develop this technique to avoid getting blocked by taller defenders.

As I remember it, the incident wasn't the dunk but the slapping of the backboard.

ElNono
11-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Like I said, maybe I was reading too much into this. Thanks for the opinions.

mookie2001
11-28-2009, 12:23 AM
nm

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-28-2009, 12:26 AM
i thought it was slapped the ball to the blackboard whatever but um...i have always seen blair with that move a lot ( the up and under layup) from preseason till now but sure there are many opportunities he could have dunked it easily.

NRHector
11-28-2009, 12:28 AM
He played good D and altered some of Houston's shots

DesignatedT
11-28-2009, 12:29 AM
Blair is clearly trying to avoid his shot getting blocked like it has earlier in the season. thats all....... those layups he used the rim to help get away from the defender.

alchemist
11-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Roger + Beast = :toast

Interrohater
11-28-2009, 12:45 AM

:tu
Yea, today their connection looked real good.

Mel_13
11-28-2009, 12:47 AM

:tu
Yea, today their connection looked real good.

Last 4 games for RMJ:

17 assists
5 turnovers

Cant_Be_Faded
11-28-2009, 12:53 AM
the incident wtf

dude why do grey spurs fans think dejuan should play like a 6'10" guy out there
he's not that quick too, use your eyes

give mad props to the guy for showing the ability to go for reverses to cash in on those dishes, also has great touch. The guy will get stuffed if he goes up on a little hop...he needs time to collect himself for his first big jump, thats how he rebounds so well

i've noticed more and more that blair is actually too slow for my liking...in the quickness and speed sense....the most efficient i seen him in the offense was in manu pick and rolls.

ElNono
11-28-2009, 12:56 AM
the incident wtf

dude why do grey spurs fans think dejuan should play like a 6'10" guy out there
he's not that quick too, use your eyes

There's no need to get your panties in a bunch. I did said I might have just gotten the wrong impression. And it's not like we've never seen Blair throw it down either.

My impression of Blair is that he's too raw. His size alone will work against small frontlines, like today. I don't think he can be out there against big frontlines though.

draft87
11-28-2009, 12:56 AM
I remember on the preseason that Blair had a few dunks until 'The Incident', then I don't think I saw any more. Tonight he had at least 2 chances where he clearly could have dunked. He instead went for somewhat difficult layups, one of which he missed.

You think the kid might be a little concerned with not pissing off the powers that be?
It's entirely possible also that I'm reading too much into this...

I think Blair has a confidence/conditioning situation as of late.

Last game against Golden State he looked tired. He didn't have enough lift to finish at the rim.....like his legs didn't have that last bit of explosion to get him there. Maybe it's a weight issue, he did drop a lot of weight from his last college season...is he getting some back?
I think it was something like 3x he fell short, one of them included a failed dunk, you guys saw that, right? At first I thought you meant that as the "the Incident" til I realized you were still talking about the preseason.
So yeah, his legs seem weak and he possibly is still embarrassed that he missed a dunk against the Warriors.

I haven't seen the Rockets game yet. Just got home from work but I'm putting on the DVR as soon as my food gets cooked. ....It's always nice to get ready to watch a win.

SpurNation
11-28-2009, 08:13 AM
He's used that move before. Especially against much taller defenders in the post. Now if he could ony tone down the aggresiveness when defending. He takes too many ill advised chances in the one on one situations.

kobyz
11-28-2009, 08:40 AM
in the Golden State game Blair misses two dunks so meybe that the reason.

EmptyMan
11-28-2009, 08:53 AM
If Blair wasn't undersized he would not have to worry about doing the up-and-under :(

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 12:25 PM
If Blair wasn't undersized, he would have been a lottery pick, even despite the injury issues..

exstatic
11-28-2009, 12:35 PM
If Blair wasn't undersized he would not have to worry about doing the up-and-under :(

If Blair wasn't undersized, he would have been a lottery pick, even despite the injury issues..

That. People need to stop worrying about what he isn't, and start appreciating what he is.

K-State Spur
11-28-2009, 01:34 PM
Blair isn't that undersized. His standing reach is higher than Blake Griffin's - and nobody calls BG an undersized PF. The different is just that everybody in the NBA who is guarding him is a big guy. He still is getting used to the fact that many of the moves in college get blocked at this level. And he's showing awareness to that.

Unless you're a 7 footer, this is completely normal.