PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs don't have to go far to end road-game misery

duncan228
11-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Spurs don't have to go far to end road-game misery (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_dont_have_to_go_far_to_end_road-game_misery.html)
Mike Monroe

HOUSTON — Spurs guard George Hill looked like a turtle as he stood in front of a mirror after the Spurs' 92-84 victory over the Houston Rockets at Toyota Center.

He peeked out of the neck of a gray sweater as he slowly pulled it over his head, being extra careful not to get his nose caught on the neck.

Two stitches in the tip of Hill's nose were a reminder of a collision with Houston's Kyle Lowry with 48.6 seconds left in a game that required a lot of effort to secure. The stitches had been painful enough. He didn't want to risk pulling one of them out just to look good on his way to the team bus.

The play that earned Hill the stitches was one of the biggest of the Spurs' gritty victory, their first road win of the season. Protecting a four-point lead with 28 seconds left, he had grabbed a rebound he had guaranteed he would get.

As Lowry tried to rip the ball from Hill's grasp, a fingernail went up Hill's nose.

“All I know,” Hill said, “is that I had just told Tony (Parker) that I guaranteed I'll get the rebound on this play. I went and got it, and I felt a fingernail up my nose.”

Listening to Hill's description, teammate Michael Finley nodded in Parker's direction.

“Make sure he gets some rabies shots when we get back to San Antonio,” Finley said.

Because there were no bats involved, the rabies shots won't be necessary, and Hill made another guarantee: He won't miss Sunday's game against the Philadelphia 76ers, either.

Hill nearly didn't get a chance to shoot the free throws he was awarded for Lowry's indelicate assault on his nostrils. After Hill stayed on his back on the court for more than a minute while trainer Will Sevening attended to the wound, lead referee Bob Delaney was about to ask Houston coach Rick Adelman which Spur he wanted to shoot the free throws if Hill could not, per NBA rules. Then, Hill walked toward the foul line, Delaney reconvened the players on the court, and Hill made both shots, pushing the Spurs lead to 90-84 with 28 seconds remaining.

“I was dizzy for a little while because I guess blood rushes to your nose when you get hit like that,” Hill said. “After I got up and took a couple of steps, I was fine. There was no way I wasn't shooting those free throws.”

Hill's teammates were just as determined to defend the 14-point lead they built in the third quarter with one of their best defensive stretches of the season. Trailing by two, 46-44, after an offensively challenged first half for both teams, the Spurs held the Rockets scoreless for the first 7:23 of the third period.

Until Luis Scola made an 18-foot jumper with 4:37 remaining in the period, Houston had missed 17 straight shots.

The key to the defensive effort: forcing the Rockets to play strictly in the half-court, without a single fast break or early offense.

“They score a lot in transition,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “It's a big part of their offense. If we didn't do a good job in transition, we wouldn't have been in the ball game at all. So the biggest factor for us in trying to win a ball game was trying to get back in defensive transition.”

Center Antonio McDyess and power forward Tim Duncan combined for 26 rebounds and five blocks. McDyess' 15-point, 14-rebound game was his best of the season.

Duncan knew the Rockets were struggling in the third, but was surprised by the enormity of their offensive ineptitude.

“You're in the game and don't really know what's going on,” he said. “I didn't know how they were shooting but I knew, defensively, we were doing a much better job contesting shots. We were up on them. They got a lot less clean looks, and I think that helped.”

Popovich knew something else.

“We're thrilled to get out of here with a win,” he said. “It's good to win on the road.”

ElNono
11-28-2009, 01:06 AM
Hill was a warrior. Dice was a pimp. Duncan dominated, as usual.
It was a good win, but we're going to have to build from this and play a lot better if we want to win more games on the road.

raspsa
11-28-2009, 01:14 AM
I was wondering if the Spurs defense was really responsible for the Rockets' drought or if they were just missing shots.. looks like its the former and the Spurs are continuing to make progress .. not an elegant win but a win nonetheless.

duncan228
11-28-2009, 01:22 AM
The other side.

Rockets worn down by Spurs (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6742346.html)
Defense rules day; San Antonio forces worst-shooting game
By Jonathan Feigen
Houston Chronicle

They might run more, and they certainly score more. But they are still the Rockets and San Antonio Spurs. Some things never change.

When they play one another, the games are still low-scoring and decided in the final minutes, and the Spurs are still the team that won four NBA championships that way.

After several offensive power failures and a pair of Rockets comebacks, the Spurs held on through the final half-minute Friday night, sending the Rockets to consecutive losses for the first time this season with a 92-84 victory at Toyota Center.

“Same Spurs,” Rockets guard Kyle Lowry said. “They’re a very, very good defensive team. Coach (Gregg) Popovich is a great coach of that. And they have guys who’ve been doing it for a long time, with Tim Duncan anchoring it. It’s a pretty strong defense down there.”

For all that has changed with the teams — the Rockets and Spurs came in averaging a combined 205.6 points per game, increasing their averages by a combined 10.2 points — when they play each other, offense suffers.

For the 37th consecutive game between them, neither team reached 100, the longest streak in the NBA, with the Rockets heading to a four-game road trip off their lowest-scoring, worst-shooting (35.9 percent) game of the season.

Much of that came with a horrid stretch when the Rockets went 0-for-16 to start the second half, missing open shots and then breaking down against the San Antonio defense to a rush of forced shots. The Rockets scored a season-low 12 points in their worst-shooting (16.7 percent) quarter of the season.

Constant pressure

“They contested a lot of our shots,” said Trevor Ariza, who made six of 21 attempts, pairing 17 points with a season-high 11 rebounds. “Definitely, it was a little frustration in that stretch when we missed 16 straight shots.”

Unlike Wednesday, when the Mavericks took over the game with a 26-0 run, the Rockets continued to defend. San Antonio scored the first 14 points of the second half before Luis Scola — who had 18 points but did not play in the fourth quarter — sank a jumper with 4½ minutes remaining in the third quarter. But the Rockets finished the quarter with a flurry of offense, and when David Andersen hit a 3 with 4:11 remaining, a San Antonio lead that had reached 14 was down to three.

Run fizzles

“We kept talking about, ‘We’re not scoring, but we have to keep defending. We have to stay close enough to give ourselves a chance to make a run,’ ” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “We did that.”

The Rockets could not finish their first run, with Andersen, Ariza and Chase Budinger missing 3s that could have tied the game.

But even after the Spurs went up 86-76 with 1:38 left, the Rockets made one last move.

Aaron Brooks drove to a three-point play, and Ariza hit a 3 to reduce the deficit to four.

The Spurs’ Tony Parker turned the ball over on consecutive possessions, so when Carl Landry went over Duncan to put in his miss with 40.5 seconds left, the Rockets were within two.

But Richard Jefferson got loose on the baseline, and Landry smacked him in the face as Jefferson went for a reverse. Jefferson was 1-for-5 from the field but 7-for-7 from the line after he put in two with 33.4 seconds left.

The Rockets went for a quick shot, but Brooks’ 20-footer with 28.9 seconds left missed. Lowry fouled San Antonio’s George Hill on the rebound. Bleeding badly from the nose, Hill got up to make both free throws with 28 seconds left for a 90-84 lead, clinching the win.

Typically for games between them, the Rockets held San Antonio to as few field goals (32) and 3-pointers (two) as any team has this season. But with the game on the line, the Spurs also had not changed.

“When it matters, they’re the Spurs,” said Shane Battier, whose 3-pointer streak ended at 27 games. “They are going to be really sound fundamentally. And Duncan’s always going to be in the right place.”

As the Rockets saw again, while much has changed, their games with the Spurs have not.

Spurs also experiencing extra scoring (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6742423.html)

The Rockets and Spurs failed to reach 100 points for the 37th consecutive game between them. Many of those games came when neither team was ringing up triple-digit scoring. That has changed, even if Friday's game did not show it.

Only the Grizzlies, Raptors and Hawks increased their scoring average this season by more points than the Spurs (5.2 points per game) and the Rockets (five.) The Spurs, averaging 102.2 points per game going into Friday's game, have not averaged 100 per game since the 1995-96 season.

“We have more good players this year than we had last year,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. “Or I could say I invented some new plays that nobody else knows that are unbelievable. I'm just talking about us. We have more people who can score this year than we had in the past. We're scoring a few more points.”

But this could be part of a larger trend of teams looking to be more up-tempo.

“More teams are looking to push the ball,” Rockets coach Rick Adelman said. “It depends on the players you have.”

ElNono
11-28-2009, 01:24 AM
I was wondering if the Spurs defense was really responsible for the Rockets' drought or if they were just missing shots.. looks like its the former and the Spurs are continuing to make progress .. not an elegant win but a win nonetheless.

It was a combination of both really... If you watched the Rocket games throughout this season, you could tell they missed a bunch of layups and guys that normally sink shots (Andersen, Bud) were not making them tonight.
On the other hand, I thought that when both Dice and Duncan were in the there, they had to no way into the paint.
I think it was a great effort, and a good win.

kbrury
11-28-2009, 01:32 AM
I love Chuck Hayes and wish he was on the Spurs, but it was funny seeing him get abused by Duncan on both ends. I think he went 0 for 6 or something.

TDMVPDPOY
11-28-2009, 01:40 AM
still better looking than the rest

ElNono
11-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the updates, Duncan228 :toast

elbamba
11-28-2009, 01:46 AM
Great game but I cannot stand listening to the Rockets announcers. They are the worst in the NBA. For some odd reason Direct TV never aires both games when we play Houston.

crc21209
11-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Solid road win tonight :tu. Big time performances by Dice, TD, and Hill....

mystargtr34
11-28-2009, 02:10 AM
Rocket's are pretty much a Spurs clone, when healthy anyway. They sign the right players that fit into their team concept, and they play fundamental basketball.

Hard not to respect.

duhoh
11-28-2009, 04:48 AM
Rocket's are pretty much a Spurs clone, when healthy anyway. They sign the right players that fit into their team concept, and they play fundamental basketball.

Hard not to respect.

well, both franchises have terrific GMs, with a terrific chain-of-command structure with the coach.

:tu

SpurNation
11-28-2009, 08:32 AM
For the 37th consecutive game between them, neither team reached 100

:wow

Chomag
11-28-2009, 12:25 PM
I'm going to say it. GHill is a warrior, and we are very lucky to have landed him on our team. I hope we will see him with a Spurs Uni for a very long time.

Dex
11-28-2009, 12:26 PM
“Same Spurs,” Rockets guard Kyle Lowry said. “They’re a very, very good defensive team. Coach (Gregg) Popovich is a great coach of that. And they have guys who’ve been doing it for a long time, with Tim Duncan anchoring it. It’s a pretty strong defense down there.”

“When it matters, they’re the Spurs,” said Shane Battier, whose 3-pointer streak ended at 27 games. “They are going to be really sound fundamentally. And Duncan’s always going to be in the right place.”

As the Rockets saw again, while much has changed, their games with the Spurs have not.

Great to start reading these quotes again.

I never realized how much being a Spurs fan has spoiled me for defense until I started watching our team not play any.

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 12:45 PM
I bet Battier would love playing here..:eyebrows

TIMMYD!
11-28-2009, 12:51 PM

That would be fucking awesome but who would they want? Maybe Mahinmi or Hairston.

kbrury
11-28-2009, 12:58 PM
That would be fucking awesome but who would they want? Maybe Mahinmi or Hairston.

I like Battier but his foot is really bothering him not worth it.

duhoh
11-28-2009, 09:35 PM

that would = jizz

Cry Havoc
11-28-2009, 10:40 PM
The best part about last night's game is that McDyess finally had a breakout 4 quarters for us. He was absolutely awesome. If we can continue to get production like that out of him, we won't lose a whole lot of games the rest of the way.