PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Mason hobbling just as Ginobili nears return

duncan228
11-28-2009, 12:59 AM
Mason hobbling just as Ginobili nears return (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Mason_hobbling_just_as_Ginobili_nears_return.html)
Mike Monroe

HOUSTON — Just when it appeared the Spurs might be returning to full strength for Sunday's game against the Philadelphia 76ers, they were hit again by another injury.

Roger Mason Jr., who had overcome an early-season slump from the 3-point line and turned in his most complete game of the season Wednesday, left Friday's game against the Rockets in the second quarter with a strained left hamstring.

Mason did not return to the game and was limping noticeably as he walked to the team bus afterward.

Should Mason be out for a while, the impending return of All-Star guard Manu Ginobili could be vital. Depending on how Ginobili responds after a rigorous pregame workout Friday, he may be cleared to play Sunday.

Ninety minutes before the tipoff for Friday's game at the Toyota Center, Spurs strength and conditioning coach Mike Brungardt walked from the locker room to the court, Ginobili trailing a step or two behind him.

The two looked like a boxing trainer and prize fighter, headed to the ring for a title bout. Instead, they were headed for the workout that would determine Ginobili's fitness for a return to the court.

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich played it conservatively with Ginobili, holding him out of Friday's game, but opened the door for a return to action Sunday.

“After tonight he's going to be day to day,” Popovich said. “There's a chance he might play Sunday.”

Close call: Spurs forward Antonio McDyess, who played his college ball at Alabama, was relieved after the No. 2-ranked Crimson Tide eked out a victory over in-state archrival Auburn on Friday afternoon.

“I've been telling Matt (Bonner) all year I was worried about the Auburn game,” McDyess said. “I'm surprised we pulled it out. We hadn't won on their field since 2001. The record's off when they play that game.”

Bonner went to Florida, which has the top-ranked college football team, and admits he too is worried. The Gators have their own rivalry game today against Florida State.

“We can't count our chickens before they're hatched,” he said, refusing to look ahead to next week's Southeastern Conference championship game that will match Alabama and Florida.

Changing routine: Because Popovich gave his players Thursday off to celebrate Thanksgiving Day with family and friends, the Spurs went through their first game-day shootaround of the season Friday morning. Popovich has changed the practice routine this season to encourage his players to get more sleep, scheduling afternoon practices and eliminating morning shootarounds.

ElNono
11-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Mason did not return to the game and was limping noticeably as he walked to the team bus afterward.

:depressed

alchemist
11-28-2009, 01:15 AM
:bang just when Mason is starting to become a complete player.

With a game off Sunday, he'll get 5 full days to rest before Boston. :toast

crc21209
11-28-2009, 01:50 AM
Mase should be fine, seeing as the Spurs play Sunday and then not again until Thursday.

mystargtr34
11-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Damn i forgot how much Mase adds to this team when his shot is falling and hes playing with confidence.

Blackjack
11-28-2009, 02:14 AM
Yeah, like Bonner, he's the type of guy that gives the Spurs separation and the ability to stretch a 2-point lead to 10 or turn a close game into game-over with those momentum-swinging shots; something I was thinking might happen tonight until the injury.

I hope it's nothing serious, but those non-contact injuries scare you a little more; hamstrings and groin-injuries are particularly scary given their tendency to linger..

He's really been coming along with his play-making from the 2-guard, his shot, and he's even been rebounding and playing a little defense as of late.

Hopefully he's able to pick up where he left off..

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 02:23 AM
His passing has been great the last few games, and he's playing better D in the last few games than he played all of last year..horrible timing..

duhoh
11-28-2009, 02:24 AM
he'll be ok.

they signed good guys @ the FO

tomtom
11-28-2009, 02:53 AM
Will Hairston be getting time?

SKINNYPIMP210
11-28-2009, 04:07 AM

Good question. I would hope so, but who knows?

angelbelow
11-28-2009, 04:50 AM
Well I hope its not serious. But in the mean time I hope we give Hairston some more burn rather than give Finley all of Mason's SG minutes.

benefactor
11-28-2009, 07:50 AM
I fear this means more Finley. :depressed

SpurNation
11-28-2009, 07:53 AM
I pray it's not serious and he can come back strong. He's been a catalyst over the past two games. His ball control has improved significantly and his passing has been near spot on. Not to metion his shooting coming back to almost full stroke. He will be missed.

Bender
11-28-2009, 08:31 AM
His passing has been great the last few games, and he's playing better D in the last few games than he played all of last year..horrible timing..
He's been a catalyst over the past two games. His ball control has improved significantly and his passing has been near spot on. Not to metion his shooting coming back to almost full stroke.yeah for the first part of this season he completely sucked. Bad handling, bad shooting, bad everything. Wonder where the improvement came from all of a sudden the last few games? It's like he made a complete 180.

Spurs Brazil
11-28-2009, 08:37 AM
Roger Mason Jr., who had overcome an early-season slump from the 3-point line and turned in his most complete game of the season Wednesday, left Friday's game against the Rockets in the second quarter with a strained left hamstring.

Monroe again...
Mason Jr played some minutes in the 3rd quarter.

JustinJDW
11-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Damn, just when Roger Mason started to blow up. Horrible timing. If I were Pop, I would sit both Mason and Ginobili for Sunday's game, so they can get plenty of rest since our next game after that isn't until Thursday.

I just don't want to take any chances. :depressed

DPG21920
11-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I find it hilarious when people want to murder Mason and Bonner at the beginning of the season and as soon as they play better, life ends if they get injured. People act as if Mason and Bonner after a good game, transform as players or figure "it" out. They are the same players whether they are playing well or poorly. Sometimes they struggle, but more often than not, they do their jobs well.

Hopefully Mason is not injured too seriously because the Spurs need his scoring.

TIMMYD!
11-28-2009, 01:48 PM
yeah for the first part of this season he completely sucked. Bad handling, bad shooting, bad everything. Wonder where the improvement came from all of a sudden the last few games? It's like he made a complete 180.

Or like Jason Kidd said, "We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees"
:lol:lol:lol

ElNono
11-28-2009, 02:18 PM

:lol

If Mason can hit a shot like in the last few games, he's going to help us in the regular season to keep Manu's minutes down. Plus the alternative to Mason is Finley, so I can't think why anybody would not be happy to see the guy play well.

Get well Mason!

NFGIII
11-28-2009, 02:25 PM

Good question. I would hope so, but who knows?

I fear this means more Finley. :depressed

Almost predictable to me. Finley gets more time and Hairston sits. :depressed

But I've been wrong before and I hope this is another time. :downspin:

Regardless of who plays I will still believe. If Finley gets more then not as fervently.

ffadicted
11-28-2009, 02:49 PM
Like people have already said, as long as he's back for the Thursday game, I'll be happy

myhc
11-28-2009, 03:50 PM

:lmao

bigdog
11-28-2009, 04:54 PM
Does suck he goes out when he starts to play better, but I still think he sucks.
I heard Denver is putting Anthony Carter on the block. 3rd string PG material?

exstatic
11-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Does suck he goes out when he starts to play better, but I still think he sucks.
I heard Denver is putting Anthony Carter on the block. 3rd string PG material?

AC's already failed here. No thanks.

Interrohater
11-28-2009, 05:41 PM
ac's already failed here. No thanks.

+1

Sigz
11-28-2009, 05:58 PM
brick