PDA

View Full Version : Antonio McDyess

timtonymanu
11-28-2009, 02:16 AM
15 points, 14 rebounds:toast

Now I know why Pistons fans loved him so much.

crc21209
11-28-2009, 02:19 AM
BIG props to Dice tonight...:tu

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 02:20 AM
He's looking better and better..that mid-range J is just automatic..his defense is a lot better than I thought it would be, especially at this point of the season..

duhoh
11-28-2009, 02:23 AM
good man. his work ethic is awesome. just shut up and get to work.

Xevious
11-28-2009, 02:35 AM
He's getting more comfortable out there. It's also nice to see Pop sticking with one starting lineup for an extended period of time.

TimDunkem
11-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Where is that one guy who said he should've just retired because Okur surprised him with a spin move? :lol

mystargtr34
11-28-2009, 02:44 AM
When was the last time a big had 14 rebounds next to Duncan? Im not trying to make a point, it could have been last season :lol... just curious..

Was it Bonner's GS game? Might be Nazr

raspsa
11-28-2009, 02:47 AM
Dice is just teasing us.. he said he needed a couple more months then he'll be in game shape.. something to look forward to.

duncan228
11-28-2009, 02:57 AM
When was the last time a big had 14 rebounds next to Duncan? Im not trying to make a point, it could have been last season :lol... just curious..

Was it Bonner's GS game? Might be Nazr

Quick search:

Bonner had 17 against the Warriors in '07, 13 against the Hawks last year.

Nazr had a bunch of big board games in '05-'06, a few in '06-'07.

Mr.Robinson
11-28-2009, 03:22 AM
His shot has been automatic for years. I hope he brings it against the good teams. Boston/Denver games will tell us a lot.

mosdef17
11-28-2009, 04:00 AM
I was quite surprised in the first couple of weeks with his defense on Dirk, he did a really good job against him. One of the better Dirk-Defenders we have had at the Spurs besides having to throw Timmy at him. I know Dirk is 35ppg against us but he has had to take a lot of shots to get that. Also, Spurs put a couple of defenders on Dirk which will distort the validity of the stats in my argument. We did play an overtime period which will make his stats higher too. I guess it's a little hard to explain unless you watched both games against Dallas and actually took note of it at the time.

Danny.Zhu
11-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Nice acquisition.

draft87
11-28-2009, 04:15 AM
But he doesn't spread the floor like Bonner does to help Timmy.

are you being sarcastic?

spurspokesman
11-28-2009, 07:50 AM
15 points, 14 rebounds:toast

Now I know why Pistons fans loved him so much.
This is true. Its a love hate thing with people up here on this board. They were mf ing him a week ago now they on his sack. And rj will soon say to hell with this boring offense and make a way for his damn self.

timtonymanu
11-28-2009, 08:02 AM
This is true. Its a love hate thing with people up here on this board. They were mf ing him a week ago now they on his sack. And rj will soon say to hell with this boring offense and make a way for his damn self.

I ,for one, never felt negative about Dice. I knew he starts out the season slow so I wasn't expecting him to be dominating early. But he's actually been playing beyond my expectations. Props to him and hopefully he'll keep it up.

Bender
11-28-2009, 09:15 AM
are you being sarcastic?
yes. he's a bonner hater.

SenorSpur
11-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Dice's stat line versus the Rockets was probably the best overall contribution of a Duncan running mate since D-Rob left the building.

He was phenomenal. Now that he's finding his groove, I'm sure this will be the first of many solid contributions form Dice.

jack0fspeed
11-28-2009, 10:09 AM
The good news on Antonio McDyess is that he's a good defender and rebounder and he has a nice reliable shot from about 17 feet.

The bad news is that he's been in the league 13 years and he can't play starter minutes for extended stretches without running out of gas.

Popovich will play him at around 20 minutes in the regular season with a few games up around the 30 minute level. He'll want to save Dice for playoff time.

Pistons < Spurs
11-28-2009, 10:19 AM
I haven't really been able to watch much of the Spurs this year, but I follow all the boxscores specifically to see how Dice has been doing. Loved his stat line last night. Glad to see him have a big game for you.

He won't produce like that everynight, but if nothing else he'll always have effort and veteran smarts. I just hope Pop leaves him as a starter. Can't keep switching his role. Dice needs to be in a comfort zone to get the most from him. His play and confidence become a bit erratic everytime his role changes. He could have been in the starting rotation long ago for Detroit, but he decided against it for very long simply because he knew his role.

And you have to get him shot attempts. His J is money, but it's completely wasted if he only gets 5 shots a game. No reason he shouldn't have 7-10 attempts every outing. And it's important to get him going early. Too many times I've seen his shot struggle when the only looks he got were late in the game. But if you feed him some easy ones early, watch out!

Pistons < Spurs
11-28-2009, 10:25 AM
The bad news is that he's been in the league 13 years and he can't play starter minutes for extended stretches without running out of gas.

Popovich will play him at around 20 minutes in the regular season with a few games up around the 30 minute level. He'll want to save Dice for playoff time.

I don't know. I've often felt that way, only to be proven wrong. Dice played 29+ minutes the last 2 years. And last year was probably his best since 2001. I like that he's being worked in slowly though. He'll take some time to find his groove, but by late Dec or early Jan I fully expect him to be fully acclimated and ready to go full tilt. I'd also expect to see coach to start to rely depend and trust that he can go out there for extended minutes.

My only concern might be the Rodeo road trip.

exstatic
11-28-2009, 10:31 AM
He's looking better and better..that mid-range J is just automatic..his defense is a lot better than I thought it would be, especially at this point of the season..

The one thing I've noticed, other than his buttery jumper, is that he has a tremendously strong base. Normal NBA big guys, 6'9" 250, just bounce off him when they try to post up. They absolutely cannot move him. I saw in against Dallas with Dirk, last night with Scola, who didn't do shit until Dice subbed out, and just about every game in between.

He's the most complete big man SA has had next to Tim since Five O.

jack0fspeed
11-28-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know. I've often felt that way, only to be proven wrong. Dice played 29+ minutes the last 2 years. And last year was probably his best since 2001. I like that he's being worked in slowly though. He'll take some time to find his groove, but by late Dec or early Jan I fully expect him to be fully acclimated and ready to go full tilt. I'd also expect to see coach to start to rely depend and trust that he can go out there for extended minutes.

My only concern might be the Rodeo road trip.

Look at what happened at the end of last year. Dice was playing like gangbusters and then the wheels fell off.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/mcdyean01/gamelog/2009/

ElNono
11-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Look at what happened at the end of last year. Dice was playing like gangbusters and then the wheels fell off.

Did they? Where? I don't see it. I recall he sat out for a while when the Denver trade happened, but I recall him playing pretty well.

Pistons < Spurs
11-28-2009, 10:49 AM
http://imgburst.com/up/diceZtsT.JPG

His best production came in the last couple of months. His most minutes came in the last couple of months. Aprils #'s were a little off ... but he also played 8 minutes less than the he did in March. But the rebounding and blocks were still high. And April was only 7 games, so the sample size doesn't allow us to draw great significance from it.

Don't get me wrong, as an older player, yes you'd like to be mindful of his minutes. But to suggest he needs to be limited to 20 minutes is way off base. There's no reason to think he can't handle a solid 32 minutes a night. If things are going well and the Spurs are rolling, sure let the knees rest. But don't view him as old broken and incapable of extended runs. That's misjudging his abilities.

exstatic
11-28-2009, 10:50 AM

Team...implosion...Iverson

Pistons < Spurs
11-28-2009, 10:53 AM
His final game as a Piston, an elimination game4 against Cleveland which we'd eventually lose:

36 minutes
26 points
10 rebounds

jack0fspeed
11-28-2009, 11:38 AM
http://imgburst.com/up/diceZtsT.JPG

His best production came in the last couple of months. His most minutes came in the last couple of months. Aprils #'s were a little off ... but he also played 8 minutes less than the he did in March. But the rebounding and blocks were still high. And April was only 7 games, so the sample size doesn't allow us to draw great significance from it.

Don't get me wrong, as an older player, yes you'd like to be mindful of his minutes. But to suggest he needs to be limited to 20 minutes is way off base. There's no reason to think he can't handle a solid 32 minutes a night. If things are going well and the Spurs are rolling, sure let the knees rest. But don't view him as old broken and incapable of extended runs. That's misjudging his abilities.

Full disclosure here ... I'm a Piston's fan and I had McDyess in fantasy basketball last year. I watched his games through his great run after the ASB. In the last few weeks he was not the same player.

jack0fspeed
11-28-2009, 11:39 AM
His final game as a Piston, an elimination game4 against Cleveland which we'd eventually lose:

36 minutes
26 points
10 rebounds

Which is why saving him for the postseason is a good idea. The guy can play. There's no question about that. You just have to manage his minutes.

Pistons < Spurs
11-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Full disclosure here ... I'm a Piston's fan and I had McDyess in fantasy basketball last year. I watched his games through his great run after the ASB. In the last few weeks he was not the same player.
http://imgburst.com/up/dice2Twkc.JPG

There was a week between 3/28 & 4/5 where you could legitimately say that there was a drop off in his game. But that also directly followed a 10 game stretch where he averaged over 40 minutes of play. Including 2 overtime games and 1 double-overtime game. 40 minutes is excessive, and I'd expect a let down after that from damn near any player.

I agree that you have to watch minutes for any older player, I just think you're severely overstating the need in Dice's case. Manage yes, but don't bottle him up. Despite his age and injuries he's simply alot more than a 20 minute guy. He's not going to dissolve into jelly come the post season if he maintains a 27-32 minute average.

And if the Spurs are fortunate enough to have a deep run with a Finals possibility, you can expect Dice to be working and playing harder than anyone else on that team, even if he's on one leg.

JustinJDW
11-28-2009, 01:25 PM
Dice's jumpshot is biblical. :worthy:

Dice
11-28-2009, 04:17 PM
Antonio will be fine. The minutes he's getting now are perfect. And once this team gets rolling, I don't think the starters will be playing a lot of minutes in the fourth.

Dice did gas out a little right at the end of the regular season. Curry had him playing some 40 minute games and he was the only big on the floor producing. they were fighting hard to try and get a better seed (or just stay) in the playoffs. He was forced to have to give everything he had to try and keep the team in the games.

The best part about him playing in San Antonio is that he only needs to do the things he does best to contribute the most to this team. Play solid post defense, rebound (especially offensive), and knock down the jumper.

He's never played with another big who averaged double digit rebounds so I actually expected Dice's rebounding numbers to drop a little. The more he gets comfortable with the sytem and gets his legs back the better he'll fit into this team.

I'm personally hyped about it. And coming in as just a McDyess fan, I'm extremely pleased with the entire team. It's nice to see everyone on the floor actually trying to get the win for a change.

thOOdee
11-28-2009, 04:22 PM
very SOLID PLAYER.....I honestly think he is the most constant spur out there.

DBMethos
11-28-2009, 06:07 PM
Damn I wish we had gotten this guy about 3-4 years ago. Still, better late than never! :toast