PDA

View Full Version : Byron Scott, Lawrence Frank, and Scott Skiles...

gospursgojas
11-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Must not have had very complex offenses and defenses.

Bc RJ looks lost in both of Pop's systems. There was one occasion he didn't pick up ariza in transition and pop almost had heart attack and yanked him. On another occasion he was supposed to set a screen for tony and didn't and the spurs almost turned the ball over. And tony of all people bitched him out.

I'm not a Richard Jefferson hater, I like him a lot. I just notice that there are a lot of times (too many) he still seems lost. I mean, if the play is not give jeff the ball and move outta the way and let him score he doesn't seem right.

What do you guys think?

Zero_Twilight
11-28-2009, 03:03 AM
must not have had very complex offenses and defenses.

Bc rj looks lost in both of pop's systems. There was one occasion he didn't pick up ariza in transition and pop almost had heart attack and yanked him. On another occasion he was supposed to set a screen for tony and didn't and the spurs almost turned the ball over. And tony of all people bitched him out.

I'm not a richard jefferson hater, i like him a lot. I just notice that there are a lot of times (too many) he still seems lost. I mean, if the play is not give jeff the ball and move outta the way and let him score he doesn't seem right.

What do you guys think?

c i a

ezau
11-28-2009, 03:03 AM
spurs' system is complicated. Give the guy some time to familiarize himself with it

pjjrfan
11-28-2009, 09:41 AM
He looks more scared than lost. Whenever he gets the ball late in a close game it's like he doesn't know what to do and looks lost and confused. He hesitates a lot especially with the ball in his hands, I don't know if it's learning the system or just him. My wife says everytime she sees Jefferson all she sees is game 6 in 2003 and Jefferson having that same lost look as Manu finishes off the steal he got off Jefferson. I'm beginning to see her point.

EmptyMan
11-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Parker went Napoleon on RJ for a second there.

DesignatedT
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
jefferson cant use the isolation like manu. RJ is a big dude and needs screens to work around. i think pop and rj are both unsure at the moment on how to use him, but it will come. he cant get to the rim at will like manu is my point or it would be a lot easier to run plays with hm using iso like manu and tony.. he needs to come off more screens like finley does and try to get to the rim that way...

what i did like was duncan in the post getting doubled and jefferson slashing to the lane and getting some points off that.

Go For Tree
11-28-2009, 10:07 AM
I think the main issue is the Spurs rarely accuire a player that they expect so much from right away. RJ is an exception to that. Spurs system is probably the most complicated or one of the most complicated in the league. We have more defensive playcalls than some teams have offensive. Its damn near impossible to jump in and put all star like # right away. Give him more time and he will figure out what he can do best for us.

He will be more comfortable with each week and we will tweak the offense for him to get more going to the basket. His spot up game isnt great but he can stop and pop of a screen. If he cuts more when Dice and Timmy are playing hi-lo he will get a lot of easy baskets and build his confidence.

Xevious
11-28-2009, 12:52 PM
While I think he needs to be more of an offensive focus, I don't expect him to average any more than 15ppg. He's averaging just over 14 now, but none of his baskets are coming easy. He doesn't look comfortable yet. Hopefully they draw up some plays to get him involved. In the mean time he just needs to stay aggressive and get to the foul line.

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 01:06 PM
To be fair, it is true that none of those 3 coaches have much coaching ability..

Scott has one of the easiest systems in the NBA, and he isn't an x's and o'x guy at all..Skiles is primarily a defensive coach and is limited offensively..Frank implemented more of the Princeton offense to the Nets later on, but it wasn't very complicated, and RJ wasn't really a big part of it..

duhoh
11-28-2009, 01:09 PM
as long as he gets himself to the stripe enough, our boys will be ok!

bigbendbruisebrother
11-28-2009, 02:06 PM
My wife says everytime she sees Jefferson all she sees is game 6 in 2003 and Jefferson having that same lost look as Manu finishes off the steal he got off Jefferson. I'm beginning to see her point.

I agree with her.

kbrury
11-28-2009, 02:18 PM
Crazy thing is that he is still averaging 14.5 points on .455 shooting, I wonder what it will look like at the end of Dec.

ffadicted
11-28-2009, 02:50 PM
How many times has it been said that it takes a player about a year to become familiar with the Spurs system? Sure, Jefferson is a big time pro, and should adapt quicker then most, but give the man till 2010 at least