PDA

View Full Version : Sixers appear ready to bring back Iverson

badfish22
11-28-2009, 03:24 AM
PHILADELPHIA - Allen Iverson not only may come out of retirement in a matter of days. But he also could very well return to the franchise where all of his glory began.
Numerous team sources confirmed on Friday that the 76ers' brass has already talked — and talks will only escalate this weekend — about bringing Iverson back to Philadelphia. Possibly as early as next week.

It's being seriously considered," one Sixers official said before his team lost to the Atlanta Hawks on Friday night. "We know the history. We know the ups and downs. But we're also aware of what (Iverson) can do and that he's needed here. We simply can't just ignore the upside he'd bring. Not with our situation."
As of Friday night, coach Eddie Jordan was on board with bringing Iverson back, according to sources. So were officials within the club's hierarchy, along with the team's executive adviser, Sonny Hill.
The rest of Jordan's coaching staff is amenable to Iverson's return, including assistant and former Sixer Aaron McKie, one of Iverson's best friends, as well as assistant coach Randy Ayers — the former Sixers coach who had his share of run-ins with Iverson, ultimately lasting just 52 games before he was dismissed by former president and GM Billy King in 2003-04.
The Sixers say they are aware it will cost them less than $3 million to get Iverson — "possibly less than $2 million, according to another team source — and have every intention of acting on it, probably as early as Tuesday.

With the Sixers' scheduled to play San Antonio on Sunday, then Dallas on Monday, sources said it's entirely possible Jordan will fly from Dallas to Atlanta to meet with Iverson on Tuesday. That also happens to be the day Iverson is scheduled to meet with his former coach at Georgetown, John Thompson.
As far as the Sixers are concerned, it's almost a no-brainer.
Entering Friday night, the Sixers were ranked 29th in league attendance, averaging 11,820 fans. Only the Memphis Grizzlies are worse.
Jordan is said to be incredibly frustrated with everything from Elton Brand's work ethic to Andre Iguodala's inability to make plays off the dribble. The one player he absolutely loves, guard Louie Williams, is out for eight weeks with a broken jaw.
"Eddie needs a playmaker," another source said. "He needs an identity. Something to create some excitement."
To add to the misery, the Sixers are 5-11, averaging just 97.6 points. Their only bona fide shooter is Jason Kapono. So there's no question Iverson is appealing to the Sixers at the moment; even to team chairman Ed Snider, who screamed, "We're gonna trade him," before actually shipping Iverson (averaging 31.2 points per game at the time) to Denver in 2006.
The question remains, however, whether the Sixers would be appealing to Iverson.

"Scratch that," one of Iverson's confidants told me last night. "He's interested."
One thing's for sure: If Iverson returns to Philadelphia, he will be a starter.
Team sources confirmed on Friday that Iverson would be a starter because Jordan had planned on starting Williams with rookie Jrue Holiday anyway, just to put some excitement and more ball-handlers into his Princeton-style offense. So even once Williams returns from injury, he'd be in the starting lineup with Iverson.
That means Iverson will return as a starter. He'll be back in Philadelphia. And with the talent the Sixers already have on their roster, he could be the missing piece that propels them back to the playoffs.
Assuming, of course, the Sixers are willing to pull the trigger.
Under normal circumstances, considering the manner in which Iverson departed, the Sixers wouldn't do this.
"But let's face it: We're very, very boring right now," a team source said. "We have absolutely nothing to lose by bringing Iverson back. Nothing at all."
I would love this.
A fitting ending

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/10440372/Sixers-appear-ready-to-bring-back-Iverson

duhoh
11-28-2009, 03:54 AM
that would be a pretty nice ending for iverson to finish

PM5K
11-28-2009, 03:59 AM
I know a lot of people don't like Allen Iverson but I've always appreciated how he dominated a game that's typically dominated by big men.

I don't know if he'll ever accomplish the ultimate goal, but it certainly didn't feel right for him to leave just yet, he still has something to offer someone.

lil_penny
11-28-2009, 04:00 AM
Not a bad way to go out..

Culburn369
11-28-2009, 04:02 AM
If Stern can underwrite that chickenshit WNBA he is full entitled to underwrite this.

11-28-2009, 04:13 AM
sixers have nothing to lose anyway. at least now they get to sell tickets.

Chillen
11-28-2009, 05:21 AM
I literally a couple of days ago was thinking about Iverson wondering why his original team the 76ers hasn't drawn any interest, Miller is in Portland now and it just makes perfect sense. I hope this happens...

wanggi
11-28-2009, 06:06 AM
If Stern can underwrite that chickenshit WNBA he is full entitled to underwrite this.
Yer insult to a great NBA player reveals that yer low-class and..... even not qualified being a Lakers fan.

timtonymanu
11-28-2009, 06:54 AM
Works out for everyone.

Sixers dont have a superstar. AI can be the main option. Sixers need their seats to be filled.

eisfeld
11-28-2009, 07:11 AM
If he decides not to wear his old 76ers number, jersey sales will go up ;)

CGD
11-28-2009, 08:49 AM
This would be great. As much as I'm not a fan of the guy personally, it would have been crummy to seem him forced in to retirement from a BB point of view.

Philly makes sense too. (1) Iguadala IS NOT the star they're been trying to make him for the past 3 years; (2) the Brand deal has yet to do anything for them; (3) Philly has a massive identity crisis between being a running team (playing to Iguadala's strength) or a quasi-Half court team (playing to Elton's strength) anyway; and (4) AI IS PHILLY, namely, a gritty guy with a chip on his shoulder that's never going to back down, but who sadly despite a valiant effort can't help but come in 2nd...

SenorSpur
11-28-2009, 09:41 AM
I always appreciated Iverson's skills, his toughness and his accomplishments. I've just never liked his cavalier attitude toward practice (breakfast tacos included), all the trouble he's caused for every coach he's played for, or his selfish, self-absorbed behavior that included his unwillingness to adjust his game to fit into a total team philosophy, as he got older.

Last year's episode in Detroit was a low point in his career. The Memphis episode was the absolute low point in his career and really exposed him for the selfish a-hole that he is.

All that said and as surprising as this new development is, going back to Philly would be an ideal way for him to re-energize his career. It would likely extend his career and be a fitting way for him to go out. Unless, of course, he burns more bridges there, as he did the first go around.

If he truly wants to feel loved and appreciated, there's no better place for him than in Philly. I'm just surprised the Sixers are willing to again put up with the headaches. Also, it'd be interesting to hear how Andre Iguodala feels about it.

Muser
11-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Maybe Phlly will bring his career back from the dead, kinda like Detroit and Wallace.

duhoh
11-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I always appreciated Iverson's skills, his toughness and his accomplishments. I've just never liked his cavalier attitude toward practice (breakfast tacos included), all the trouble he's caused for every coach he's played for, or his selfish, self-absorbed behavior that included his unwillingness to adjust his game to fit into a total team philosophy, as he got older.

Last year's episode in Detroit was a low point in his career. The Memphis episode was the absolute low point in his career and really exposed him for the selfish a-hole that he is.

All that said and as surprising as this new development is, going back to Philly would be an ideal way for him to re-energize his career. It would likely extend his career and be a fitting way for him to go out. Unless, of course, he burns more bridges there, as he did the first go around.

If he truly wants to feel loved and appreciated, there's no better place for him than in Philly. I'm just surprised the Sixers are willing to again put up with the headaches. Also, it'd be interesting to hear how Andre Iguodala feels about it.

i agree, but from AI's perspective:
lb for lb tough little guy with over 20000 points, MVP, scoring titles, was promised to start in memphis, and they told him they wanna win, not sell tickets for him.

while i don't like at all what went down with him, i think in his eyes, he's getting shafted right now.

anyways, AI squared plus elton brand. wonder what that would look like

tomtom
11-28-2009, 01:07 PM
That would actually really interesting to see

iggypop123
11-28-2009, 01:47 PM
would be a good fit. williams is done for a while, you cant have a rookie as your fulltime starter cause holliday aint ready

duncan228
11-28-2009, 05:52 PM
The Iverson Saga: What Will Ed Snider Say? (http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/The_Iverson_Saga_What_Will_Ed_Snider_Say.html)

The 76ers, knowing they will be without the injured Lou Williams for two months, have internally discussed the possibility of bringing back Allen Iverson.

As of about 3:30 Saturday afternoon, Comcast-Spectacor chief operating officer Peter Luukko was contemplating discussing the situation later in the day with chairman Ed Snider. It remained unclear whether Snider, who couldn't wait to trade Iverson to Denver in December of 2006, would sign off on a return by the four-time scoring champion.

Luukko said he and Sixers president/general manager Ed Stefanski have had ''minimal discussions internally'' about Iverson and ''that's really it.''

Luukko said it would be ''a basketball decision,'' and that it would be left up to Stefanski.

A FOXSports.com report indicated that the situation could escalate early next week.

A source familiar with the Sixers' situation said Stefanski has been considering the plusses and minuses of adding Iverson, but that he has not reached out to Leon Rose, Iverson's agent, or to Gary Moore, Iverson's personal manager. The source said that Rose, one of the most respected and successful agents representing NBA players, has contacted the Sixers, basically trying to find out whether his client would be a good fit.

The source said ''Every other time Rose has called, the Sixers have said no. In the light of Williams' injury and the need for an experienced guard, they are at least talking about it.''

The source said that, while coach Eddie Jordan could be interested in a player of Iverson's stature and talent, there has not been a meeting scheduled between Jordan and Iverson. The Sixers, armed with a minimum contract for the remainder of the season and a list of special conditions, might be willing to listen.

There is a belief that the Sixers will reach a reasonably quick decision. They do not want this situation to linger. They are already concerned that ''Iverson back to the Sixers'' is taking on a life of its own.

Stefanski and his personnel staff have been considering various other free agents, including Antonio Daniels and Gabe Pruiitt; it goes without saying that Iverson is the most talented of the group, but that he also comes with the most baggage. Since leaving the Sixers, Iverson has played with Denver, Detroit and Memphis. The Nuggets improved dranatically when they acquired Chauncey Billups from the Pistons for Iverson; the Pistons finally sent Iverson home after he complained about coming off the bench, and the Grizzlies reached a settlement on Iverson's one-year contract after he appeared in just three games this season.

The major aspect of Stefanski's decision-making process has to do with the absence of Williams, who is recovering from a broken jaw bone suffered Tuesday night in a loss in Washington; the Sixers were excited with Williams' development and his ability to make plays, for himself and for others. Without him in Friday night's loss to Atlanta, they often appeared rudderless down the stretch. They believe rookie Jrue Holiday, given time, will become the player they projected when they made him the No. 17 pick in the June draft, but they don't believe he's immediately ready for prime time.

The question is, whether Iverson could help them in that regard or whether his presence would simply further delay Holiday's progress. The source said that any decision would not be based on whether Iverson would sell tickets -- the Sixers are currently 29th (next-to-last) in attendance. There is a belief among management that Iverson would sell tickets for a short period, but that there would not be a substantial lasting effect.

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 06:53 PM
This better happen..I still have a "Gucci printed" Iverson Sixers jersey from when I was 16ish, I've been trying to sell it..it was going for about 60$ on Ebay, I could probably get at least a 100 out of it if he returns there..

NRHector
11-28-2009, 10:23 PM
Speaking about Sixers, I got Samuel Dalembert autograph today at work, he's seems like a nice guy. I just asked him if could have his autograph and he just said "sure",I shook his hand and went back to work

duncan228
11-28-2009, 10:39 PM
NBA Beat: What about Iverson? (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/NBA_Beat_What_about_Iverson.html)
Mike Monroe - Express-News

It has been an eventful few days for Allen Iverson, the 2001 NBA Most Valuable Player who announced on Wednesday that he had decided to retire after 13 seasons, during which he averaged 27.2 points per game, because it appeared no NBA teams were interested in adding him after he was waived by the Memphis Grizzlies.

Two coaches influential in Iverson’s career, former Georgetown mentor John Thompson and Charlotte Bobcats coach Larry Brown, reached out to him in an attempt to talk him into reconsidering his decision.

Of course, it takes two to do the NBA tango, so Iverson will need a partner to ask him to get back on the floor.

Here’s our take on how Iverson can get back to “Dancing With the All-Stars,” a listing of the teams that may, or should, consider adding him, either now, or in time for a playoff drive in the spring:

PHILADELPHIA 76ERS

Why they would sign him: Louis Williams is out for eight weeks with a broken jaw, so they need a backcourt player who can score. There are few better than Iverson, and what could be more appropriate than for Iverson to end his career in Philly, where he had his greatest success? New Sixers coach Eddie Jordan reportedly likes the idea, and there is no question Philadelphians would be thrilled to see him back in a Sixers uniform.

Why they’re wary: They would like to develop rookie Jrue Holiday, and they are building for the future around Holiday and other youngsters, like Marreese Speights. Privately, the Sixers brass wonders if Iverson would be the right sort of influence.

Odds he’ll land there: 4-1

NEW YORK KNICKS

Why they would sign him: True, the Knicks were thisclose to offering Iverson a deal last week until Mike D’Antoni called around and talked to some of the coaches who have dealt with the mercurial guard in recent seasons. But the Knicks need to give their fans reason to show up at Madison Square Garden, where they are 1-7, and Iverson always has been one of the league’s most entertaining players. Besides, he would be an upgrade over Chris Duhon at point guard, and he never would fire up a shot at the opponents’ basket, no matter what.

Why they’re wary: D’Antoni already has problems keeping Nate Robinson happy. Plus, they’re trying to develop rookie point guard Toney Douglas. Adding Iverson risks making more Knicks very unhappy.

Odds he’ll land there: 8-1

BOSTON CELTICS

Why they would sign him: Doc Rivers blows hot and cold about backup shooting guard Eddie House because House is, well, hot and cold. He would know what to expect from Iverson. The Celtics have a recent history of adding aging guards, signing Sam Cassell for the 2007-08 season and petulant Stephon Marbury last season. With Kevin Garnett on board and talented Rajon Rondo starting at the point, Iverson could be expected to be a good soldier and come off the bench for one of the league’s true title contenders.

Why they’re wary: Rondo is a bit of a loose cannon and House can be pretty flighty himself. Does a team just one season removed from an NBA title risk its chemistry on a player like Iverson?

Odds he’ll land there: 12-1

CHARLOTTE BOBCATS

Why they would sign him: Three reasons: Larry Brown, Larry Brown and ... let’s see ... Larry Brown. Despite their celebrated differences in the past, including a horrid relationship during the 2004 Olympics, Brown is an unabashed admirer of Iverson’s competitiveness and talent. It’s been Brown trying hardest to get him back in basketball, so why not bring him to the Bobcats?

Why they’re wary: They’ve already got a glut of guards, including a bunch who are combo guards, just like Iverson. There simply isn’t room for The Answer on a team that already has D.J. Augustin, Raymond Felton, Flip Murray and Gerald Henderson.

Odds he’ll land there: 20-1

SAN ANTONIO SPURS

Why they would sign him: There is only one scenario that would prompt the Spurs to add Iverson: Injuries, injuries and more injuries. With Manu Ginobili already having suffered a hamstring strain and a groin strain; Tony Parker already having been out with yet another ankle sprain; and with Roger Mason Jr. now battling a sore hammy, the Spurs’ guard corps is off to a snake-bitten start. Gregg Popovich is also a big fan of Iverson’s competitiveness.

Why they’re wary: They’ve won four championships by putting pieces around Tim Duncan designed to foster championship chemistry. Iverson wouldn’t insist on starting for the Spurs, but you wonder if he would insist on floating on defense, because he always has.

Odds he’ll land there: 500-1

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-28-2009, 10:44 PM
lol 500-1 for the spurs...i would feel save saying infinite-1

Allanon
11-29-2009, 01:40 AM
I'm wondering if the Cavs would pick up AI.

AI's gotta be bettah than Boobie Gibson.

JoeTait75
11-29-2009, 01:57 AM
I'm wondering if the Cavs would pick up AI.

AI's gotta be bettah than Boobie Gibson.

There's about a 0.00 percent chance the Cavaliers pick up Allen Iverson. We've already got a chucking point guard in Mo Williams, no need to add another one.

What this team needs is better perimeter defense, and AI doesn't provide that. Would've been nice to get Captain Jack...

Allanon
11-29-2009, 02:01 AM
There's about a 0.00 percent chance the Cavaliers pick up Allen Iverson. We've already got a chucking point guard in Mo Williams, no need to add another one.

What this team needs is better perimeter defense, and AI doesn't provide that. Would've been nice to get Captain Jack...

Captain Jack would have been pretty bad-ass. I'm not sold on AP, he's pretty inconsistent on defense and offense.

I'm kinda surprised you think there's no chance of the Cavs taking a chance on AI, I suppose it makes sense since there's already Mo. I think the Cavs are probably one of the few teams AI would come off the bench for and AI would seriously bolster bench production.

JoeTait75
11-29-2009, 02:10 AM
I think the Cavs are probably one of the few teams AI would come off the bench for and AI would seriously bolster bench production.

I actually agree that AI very well could be willing to come off the bench in Cleveland. I just think Mo makes him a little redundant on this squad.

There's also the question of how effective AI could be coming off the bench even if he's willing to do so. He's a volume shooter, and I wonder how well those types of players would do coming in cold and playing relatively short stretches.

I tend to think AI needs to go someplace he can start and take 20-25 shots a night. Which is why he should go back to Philadelphia.

lefty
11-29-2009, 03:53 AM
I know a lot of people don't like Allen Iverson but I've always appreciated how he dominated a game that's typically dominated by big men.

I don't know if he'll ever accomplish the ultimate goal, but it certainly didn't feel right for him to leave just yet, he still has something to offer someone.
Yep

His 2001 MVP season was the stuff of legends

Culburn369
11-29-2009, 08:00 AM
Yep

His 2001 MVP season was the stuff of legends

The double standard is just adorable. Kobe is ridiculed for 3 years running because Daddy caught a ringer in south Florida, but, this little ringless pissant gets a free ride all the way to the bitter end.

wanggi
11-29-2009, 09:03 AM
So cubby ya know better that the Lakers would be 1st round losers without Gasol.

0 & 54.

scampers
11-29-2009, 09:40 AM
I actually agree that AI very well could be willing to come off the bench in Cleveland. I just think Mo makes him a little redundant on this squad.

There's also the question of how effective AI could be coming off the bench even if he's willing to do so. He's a volume shooter, and I wonder how well those types of players would do coming in cold and playing relatively short stretches.

I tend to think AI needs to go someplace he can start and take 20-25 shots a night. Which is why he should go back to Philadelphia.

Iverson has bitched and moaned about coming off from the bench during his last two stops, and people still think he'd be willing to come off the bench for another team? Are you kidding me?

SenorSpur
11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Iverson has bitched and moaned about coming off from the bench during his last two stops, and people still think he'd be willing to come off the bench for another team? Are you kidding me?

:tu

duncan228
11-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Sixers coach downplays reports of Iverson comeback (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-76ers-iverson&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Paul J. Weber

If the Philadelphia 76ers are thinking about bringing back Allen Iverson, coach Eddie Jordan says no one has talked to him about it.

Jordan downplayed reports Sunday of Iverson possibly returning to the city where he became an NBA superstar, saying he hasn’t spoken to the recently retired guard and added that the Sixers are not seriously looking at any free agents.

“It’s something that’s probably more in the media than it actually is,” Jordan said. “We’re just going about our daily operation of practicing and trying to win a game. But certainly I have not talked to anybody about Allen Iverson.”

When Iverson announced his plans to retire earlier this week, his statement hardly sounded like his mind was made up. Saying there is “a whole lot left in my tank,” Iverson said he felt strongly he could still compete “at the highest level.”

Jordan spoke after shootaround Sunday morning in San Antonio, where the Sixers arrived with a five-game losing streak and point guard Lou Williams expected to be out eight weeks after jaw surgery.

A person with knowledge of the talks told The Associated Press on Saturday that the Sixers were approached about signing Iverson, and that team management had internal discussions about bringing Iverson back to the city where he spent 10-plus seasons.

The person, who spoke on condition of anonymity because talks have not been made public, said Iverson is among the free-agent candidates the Sixers are considering to replace Williams.

Jordan, however, said he doesn’t think the Sixers necessarily need to sign anyone.

He said Philadelphia’s biggest problem isn’t the backcourt but Elton Brand, who has missed consecutive games with a sore right hamstring. The Sixers entered Sunday’s game at 5-11, tied for the third-worst record in the Eastern Conference.

“We have not talked about adding anybody to our team because we still have a good roster,” Jordan said. “We have depth, we have flexibility. Elton’s coming back, and we have guards.”

Rookie Jrue Holiday has started at point guard since Williams went out, and has played nearly as many minutes the past two games as his first 10. Jordan says Holiday, who the Sixers took with the 17th pick in the draft, has shown plenty of promise.

Brand said players have talked about Iverson, and that he would welcome him to the team.

“We have some young talent, but we need wins,” Brand said. “If we were winning, we could kind of test it. But we kind of need to right the ship now, we feel, just for the fans and our own psyche. That may be the issue here.”

Iverson has made it clear he won’t come off the bench. He would start over Holiday for now, but it’s not clear where Iverson would fit in once Williams returns.

Iverson is a 10-time All-Star and was the NBA MVP in 2001, when he led the Sixers to the NBA Finals. Philadelphia traded him to Denver in 2006 and he played for the Nuggets until early last season, when he was traded to Detroit.

Iverson signed with Memphis this season but played only three games before taking a leave of absence to attend to personal matters. He was waived after the two sides agreed to part ways.

Andre Iguodala, the Sixers’ leading scorer, said his focus is more on getting Philadelphia winning again than Iverson possibly coming aboard.

“He’s definitely one of those guys who has proven to be a great scorer in this league and a hard worker,” Iguodala said. “We would welcome anyone who come into our situation, whether it would be him or any other guy.”

Pistons < Spurs
11-30-2009, 04:13 PM
76ers meet with Iverson

Philadelphia 76ers coach Eddie Jordan and general manager Ed Stefanski had a two-hour meeting in Dallas on Monday with free-agent guard Allen Iverson before the team's game against the Mavericks.

The team confirmed the face-to-face meeting with Iverson, agent Leon Rose and Iverson's longtime business manager Gary Moore.

No firm decision on signing Iverson was expected before the game Monday night.

Iverson is among the free-agent candidates the Sixers are considering to replace injured point guard Lou Williams, who's expected to miss eight weeks after jaw surgery.

Iverson announced his retirement last week after an ill-fated stint with the Memphis Grizzlies. The 10-time All-Star was NBA MVP in 2001 when he led the Sixers to the NBA Finals.http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4701189

Bukefal
11-30-2009, 04:16 PM
Damn, leave the guy alone already. He finally went away, now they want him back.

duncan228
11-30-2009, 05:23 PM
Allen Iverson, Sixers Meet to Discuss Reunion (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=tsn-alleniversonsixersme&prov=tsn&type=lgns)
SportingNews

There is actual, real news from the parties involved on the Allen Iverson front today. The Sixers and Iverson met today in Dallas to discuss a possible return to the team. More on the meeting, directly from Sixers GM Ed Stefanski:

The meeting lasted approximately two hours and covered a variety of topics, all of which we would prefer to keep between the team and Allen.

The meeting was attended by Allen, his agent Leon Rose and his personal manager Gary Moore, along with 76ers Senior Vice President/Assistant General Manager Tony DiLeo, Head Coach Eddie Jordan, Assistant Coach Aaron McKie and me.

At this time, both parties remain non-committal regarding a final decision and we will continue to discuss internally whether or not to pursue this course.

Hardly sounds like they’re on the doorstep of a deal, but that a meeting took place signals some obvious level of interest in the city Iverson once called home. More on this one as it develops.

Dex
11-30-2009, 07:54 PM
Since when can a player "retire" to get out of one team, then go sign with another team two weeks later? Why aren't players doing this all the time if they are stuck with a deal they don't like?

Either this whole thing reeks of collusion, or Memphis is just kicking itself in the nuts again. They need to move that god-forsaken franchise to Seattle or something.

Culburn369
11-30-2009, 07:57 PM
Since when can a player "retire" to get out of one team, then go sign with another team two weeks later? Why aren't players doing this all the time if they are stuck with a deal they don't like?

Either this whole thing reeks of collusion, or Memphis is just kicking itself in the nuts again. They need to move that god-forsaken franchise to Seattle or something.

The same reason Duncan can switch position designation to suit his Sleep Worry Number.

tee, hee.

DPG21920

Players can do that. But most of the time players that are unhappy are the big dollar players and they won't accept a really low buyout in order to go to a team they like.

Dex
The same reason Duncan can switch position designation to suit his Sleep Worry Number.

tee, hee.

http://msa4.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/applesandoranges.jpg

Dex
11-30-2009, 08:03 PM
Players can do that. But most of the time players that are unhappy are the big dollar players and they won't accept a really low buyout in order to go to a team they like.

Gotcha. I wasn't aware they had already agreed to buy him out, but looks like they agreed on the remainder for 3 million dollars.

In the big picture, when a guy that nobody even wants is getting paid 3 million dollars for 3 games of basketball, makes the whole damn system seem a little screwy. I understand the demand for talent and competitive market and all but seriously...this guy is the most expensive hot potato I've ever seen.

Pistons < Spurs
12-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Sources: Sixers closer to Answer

Allen Iverson could be back in a Philadelphia 76ers uniform as early as next Monday night.

Two sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the Sixers are indeed targeting Monday's home game against the Denver Nuggets -- another of Iverson's former teams -- if they go forward with what appears to be a growing intent to bring back their controversial franchise icon.

After club officials met face-to-face with Iverson and his representatives for nearly two hours Monday before Philadelphia's 104-102 loss to the Dallas Mavericks, three of the organization's key figures -- Sixers coach Eddie Jordan, general manager Ed Stefanski and Comcast-Spectacor chairman Ed Snider -- all insisted publicly that no firm decision has been made on re-signing Iverson for the rest of the season.

But sources stressed to ESPN.com that plans behind the scenes have progressed to a level where Iverson's return is now regarded by both sides as far more likely than not. Although it remains unclear whether Iverson has the leverage to command anything more than a pro-rated share of the $1.3 million veterans' minimum, all indications late Monday suggested that only an unforeseen about-face by the Sixers could prevent Iverson from formally rejoining them by week's end.

One source said that the team has already made tentative plans to send assistant coach and former Iverson teammate Aaron McKie home from the Sixers' current road trip to meet Iverson in Philadelphia later this week and work him out to ensure Iverson's readiness for the Denver game. The Sixers play Thursday in Oklahoma City and Saturday in Charlotte before returning to Philadelphia.

Although another team insider cautioned that no deal with Iverson should be considered done until it's official -- especially after the New York Knicks seemed to get just as close to signing Iverson earlier this month before electing to back out at the 11th hour -- there was an unquestioned sense of inevitability in the locker room in Dallas that Iverson will soon be a Sixer again.

"No doubt he's coming back," one source said.

Said Sixers reserve guard Royal Ivey: "He's a Hall of Fame-type player. He's a great leader. I think he'd help us if he decided to come back. He's a great contributor. I'd like to have him as a teammate. It's that clear and simple.''

The prospect of a reunion -- which seemed unfathomable in the wake of Iverson's request to be traded early in the 2006-07 season and the deal soon thereafter that sent him to Denver -- gathered steam Monday afternoon when Iverson, agent Leon Rose and longtime business manager Gary Moore met with a four-strong Sixers delegation that included Jordan, Stefanski, McKie and assistant general manager Tony DiLeo.

Stefanski said in a statement afterward that both parties remain non-committal about a final decision and that the Sixers "will continue to discuss internally whether or not to pursue this course."

But two of the major hurdles Iverson has to clear to get a second shot with the team that drafted him and launched him into prominence in 1996 were cleared Monday. One of them was the face-to-face sitdown, which Sixers officials considered a must after the acrimonious nature of Iverson's exits in Detroit and Memphis. The other was the blessing of Snider, who said in his own statement that Stefanski has the freedom to sign or pass on Iverson without worrying about any leftover residue from Iverson's departure nearly three years ago.

Snider said: "While nothing has been decided ... I support him and his basketball decisions."

Jordan refused to share specifics about the meeting but said: "All of us liked what [Iverson] talked about today. ... He's a charming individual. It was really good, really intriguing."

Mired at 5-13 after its seventh straight loss, Philadelphia is looking for a guard after losing starter Lou Williams for at least eight weeks with a broken jaw and looking even harder for someone who can generate some buzz to lift the Sixers out of the bottom two in NBA attendance.

The signing would be a gamble nonetheless, given Iverson's well-chronicled refusal to accept anything other than a guaranteed spot in the starting lineup wherever he plays. It's a stance that only one team was willing to ignore last summer when the 34-year-old was a free agent, but Iverson lasted only three games with the Memphis Grizzlies after signing a one-year deal worth $3.1 million.

There are also concerns about what sort of influence Iverson would be on youngsters such as Jrue Holiday, Thaddeus Young and Marreese Speights and whether he will be able to accept a scaled-back role when Williams returns from injury. It's likewise believed that Iverson and Sixers guard Andre Iguodala did not part on the best terms when Iverson headed to Denver, which could have given Philadelphia further pause.

Jordan, though, doesn't sound concerned at all about how much Iverson has left after 13 seasons of pounding. It seems that he, too, paid little attention to the retirement statement Iverson issued on Thanksgiving eve, presumably in frustration after what sources say he believed was a "done deal" with the Knicks fell through.

Asked what Iverson could bring to the Sixers at this stage of his career, Jordan said: "An aggressive scoring mentality. A guy that could take over games. ... He's a guy that's been to the top, a guy that's been to the Finals, a guy that would be an extra weapon on the floor for us."

After Iverson averaged 12.3 points and 3.7 assists in 22.3 minutes per games in his short Memphis stay -- having missed most of training camp with a partially torn hamstring -- his retirement plans were greeted with considerable leaguewide skepticism, largely because Iverson's statement included claims that there is "a whole lot left in my tank" and his strong belief that he "can still compete at the highest level."

Said Jordan: "We'll see what happens in another few days."http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4702589

Indazone
12-01-2009, 11:02 AM
That would be funny if Iverson comes back as a Sixer and torches the Nuggets

Mel_13
12-01-2009, 11:10 AM
Signing Iverson would be an act of surrender

By Phil Sheridan

Inquirer Sports Columnist

If the 76ers sign Allen Iverson, they might as well skip ahead a few moves and make him coach and general manager as well.

Just turn the whole franchise over to Iverson, because bringing the former Sixers star back now, after everything that has happened, is acknowledging the failure of Ed Stefanski and, by extension, coach Eddie Jordan.

The logic is pretty simple.

If Stefanski had a plan with a prayer of working, he would not sign Iverson.

If Jordan had any intention of developing a young team to play the game his way, he would not want Iverson.

Ergo, they might as well give Iverson their jobs, as well as the $3 million or so it will take to sign him. Iverson will be deciding how much he plays and with whom, so the Eddies won't be necessary anymore, anyway.

And if this move is being forced on Stefanski and Jordan, well, the prognosis for both men is soggy and grim: They're already dead in the water.

This is a player the rest of the NBA has decided isn't worth the considerable trouble. Iverson - ahem - "retired" last week in a contrived attempt to attract attention to himself. After burning through the patience of franchises in Denver, Detroit, and Memphis, he would be attractive only to two kinds of teams: a championship contender faced with injury at his position (whatever that is) or a hopeless mess.

The Sixers are not a contender.

This is the Buffalo Bills signing Terrell Owens - a cynical move made for the sole purpose of bringing a little attention to a team that has proved itself incapable of earning it the proper way, by winning.

You can see the temptation for the Sixers. Iverson's heyday was this ownership group's heyday. The Sixers were hot. The arena was full. Things seemed a lot more fun and exciting and interesting back then, when Iverson and Larry Brown staged one of the more captivating and successful soap operas in Philadelphia sports history.

But the real reason for all that buzz was that the Sixers were winning. For a stretch, they were a team with a chance to contend for a title. Iverson was one of the best and most exciting players in the league, but he was also the guy who made a title possible. The ultimately fruitless search for the right complementary cast was the story arc that made the whole thing worth caring about.

Now?

Iverson can still run around and take a hundred shots a game and drive recklessly through the big men every now and then. He would still be more fun to watch than Andre Iguodala or, heaven help us, Elton Brand. But there would be no chance of contending with him. Not now. Not here. Not ever again.

As for the idea that he'd bring some excitement and sell tickets, well, let's think that through. Signing Iverson isn't going to help the economy, which is the No. 1 reason most people eliminate luxury items like overpriced basketball tickets from their budget. There might be a brief bump for the same reason people stop on the highway to look at car wrecks, but there won't be sustainable interest until the team wins consistently.

The Sixers weren't drawing at the end of Iverson's tenure here. There's little reason to believe he'll draw fans three seasons later.

But the most hair-raising aspect of all this was in an otherwise benign quote from Sixers rookie Jrue Holiday that appeared in the Daily News.

"I think Lou [Williams], Willie [Green], everybody here that played with him learned something from him," Holiday said. "I think I could learn from him, too."

That word picture should have everyone from Ed Snider to Peter Luukko to the security guard at the locker room door screaming into their pillows. There is nothing they could possibly want Holiday or Marreese Speights or anyone else to learn from Allen Iverson.

He is, or was, a great individual basketball player.

He is, was, and always will be poison in the well for whatever franchise employs him. It has become an easy way to get a laugh - "We talkin' 'bout practice?" - but that episode really did define what's wrong with Iverson. He didn't get it then, and he doesn't get it now. Basketball is a team sport.

So meeting with him in Dallas yesterday was purely for show. Nothing Iverson could say in a two-hour meeting could outweigh what Stefanski and Jordan already know from watching the guy throughout his career. A.I. isn't changing.

There's no point signing him in order to integrate him into a team concept. That ship sailed and sank years ago. To sign him now is to admit utter defeat and desperation.

If Stefanski and Jordan re-sign Iverson, they might as well resign themselves.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20091201_Phil_Sheridan__Signing_Iverson_would_be_a n_act_of_surrender.html

Indazone
12-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Sixers were close to being a great team. Their point differential in their wins was impressive. Not sure why they are sucking this year but bringing Iverson in will help their cause.

Donkeybong
12-01-2009, 11:18 AM
Iverson would be great for Philly. He would surely make that team playoff bound.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
12-01-2009, 11:28 AM
This would be great for AI, I hope it happens. It's a shame this guy would be remembered as a whiny punk if his career ended right now. He's only 2,000 points behind Greer for Philly's all time best scorer, be great if he was around long enough to get it.

duncan228
12-01-2009, 03:08 PM
History sides with Iverson in Philly reunion (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnG5mCRPqhCDxRVVUjBnRY28vLYF?slug=aw-iversonsixers120109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Thirteen months ago, Allen Iverson made a compelling case for change at the dining room table of Joe Dumars. He made something of a stump speech to the Pistons president, understanding what a champion wanted to hear, what would play to this audience.

Over dinner, Iverson suggested that the public had such bad ideas about him, and he wanted to change it all with Detroit. He wanted the structure, the responsibility, the culture of the Pistons’ winning program. His children were older, and he wanted to reshape the legacy he left for them. Iverson has been the showman of his time, forever playing to the circumstance and crowd.

“They’re dedicated to winning,” Iverson told me a few days later. “Me being at the end of my career, that’s what I’m all about. All I care about is winning.”

Iverson has turned into the worst kind of basketball con man now. He knows what people want to hear, and he delivers it on cue. He couldn’t last the full season in Detroit, and he couldn’t last a full week in Memphis. Now, Philadelphia meets with him, hears it and coach Eddie Jordan marveled of Iverson, “He’s a charming individual.”

Always. And yet, when it comes to Iverson, there’s long been no use judging him on word. Just deed. This is a different Sixers’ front office and coaching regime, but they ought to know: Allen Iverson has been the most relentlessly consistent player in the NBA for a decade. He’s about A.I., and that will always be true.

Here’s how this is going to with the Sixers: Once they let him back into the gym, this will be different than Detroit, different than Memphis. After all, Iverson has history in Philadelphia. He was a forever athlete in Philly, and always will be. He transcended basketball there, and become a cultural phenomenon.

Perhaps he can be the starter over Jrue Holiday until Louis Williams returns from a broken jaw, but what then? Think A.I. willingly gives back that job? What happens when this barren arena starts to replenish with fans wanting to see Iverson again, when the No. 3 jerseys rush through the turnstiles? What happens when Iverson doesn’t want to run the coach’s Princeton offense? What happens when he starts to humiliate assistant coach Randy Ayers on the team bus, like he did when Ayers was his head coach there?

What happens?

This happens: Iverson will test his popularity with that of a general manager, Ed Stefanski, that the public only knows for overpaying a broken down Elton Brand. What happens when Iverson takes on his coach, Eddie Jordan? He wins, because what does the public know about Jordan except that he’s lost a lot of games in Philly so far?

“He will be the only one there with a love affair history with that city,” one Western Conference executive said. “He’s the one person who can stand up and speak to the fans of Philly, and he will do that. He will talk about how much he needs them, and they will give him the benefit of the doubt before anyone else there.”

The case for signing Iverson is purely business – selling seats and jerseys – because he becomes a full-time job for the coaching staff. There will always be an issue to iron out, an attitude to placate, a crisis coming and going. People will call for it to happen, because it gives an irrelevant franchise an immediate identity. Everywhere else in the NBA, they’re having throwback jersey nights. The Sixers want a throwback star. Only, they’ll go back into time and find that for all the angst that Iverson brings, it comes without the dominance. It comes without the game-changer.

Iverson comes back to Philly believing he’s the player who left there still a franchise star. He can’t see himself the way the rest of basketball does, because fading legends seldom do. They’re always the last to know, and that’s Allen Iverson now. Nevertheless, he’s smart enough to play along with the process, to tell Stefanski and Jordan that he gets it now, that he had his epiphany, and he just wants to come home, just wants to fit in, just wants to win.

“Charming,” Eddie Jordan said, and deep down, he knows the truth, too. This is a con game, and no one plays it like Allen Iverson. The blame doesn’t go to him now, but the Sixers. They’re bringing in the most relentlessly consistent player in the NBA – all about A.I., all the time – and they need to understand something:

Once they let Allen Iverson back into the gym, back into the waiting arms of a desperate Sixers fandom, well, good luck getting him out.

Culburn369
12-01-2009, 03:14 PM
He stills has Media in his corner, the little f'k.

SenorSpur
12-01-2009, 03:46 PM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20091201_Phil_Sheridan__Signing_Iverson_would_be_a n_act_of_surrender.html

Best article I've seen that outlines the true obvious about AI

Mark my words. They'll be sorry.

duncan228
12-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Updated.

Source: 76ers offer Iverson non-guaranteed deal (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-76ers-iverson&prov=ap&type=lgns)
By Dan Gelston

Allen Iverson and the Philadelphia 76ers are closer to a reunion.

A person with knowledge of the contract talks says the Sixers offered a one-year, non-guaranteed contract to Iverson on Tuesday. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the contract talks had not been made public.

Iverson, his agent and business manager met with team president Ed Stefanski, coach Eddie Jordan and two other members of the organization Monday during the first formal meeting between the Sixers and their former MVP.

Iverson announced his retirement last week after an ill-fated stint with the Memphis Grizzlies. The 10-time All-Star was NBA MVP in 2001 when he led the Sixers to the NBA finals.

Another person with knowledge of the deal, who also spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the talks had not been made public, said Iverson’s decision should come Wednesday.

The person says the 76ers are taking a chance on Iverson because he’s the best free-agent guard available and the financial commitment is minimal. The Sixers would owe just under $650,000 if they guarantee his contract for the remainder of the season on Jan. 10.

“What is the downside if you can cut him any time you want?” the person said.

Iverson would still need to undergo a physical before the deal is complete. As of Tuesday night, the Sixers had not heard back from Iverson’s agent Leon Rose.

Iverson announced his intention to retire last week after no other team expressed an interest is signing the four-time scoring champion. The 6-foot Iverson played three games this season with Memphis before taking a leave of absence to attend to personal matters. He was waived after the two sides agreed to part ways.

He’s on the brink of getting a second chance with the Sixers(5-13), who have lost seven straight entering Wednesday night’s game at Oklahoma City and need Iverson to spark sagging ticket sales and their playoff chances.

This reconciliation was once thought foolish after their acrimonious split three years ago. Iverson’s last game with Philadelphia was Dec. 6, 2006 in Chicago. He refused to play the fourth quarter and was banished from the team two days later. He was eventually traded to Denver as part of the Andre Miller deal, and bounced to Detroit before landing in Memphis.

The Sixers finish their four-game road trip Saturday against the Charlotte Bobcats and Iverson’s former nemesis, coach Larry Brown.

Brown said Tuesday he was upset that Iverson’s best option was a non-guaranteed deal.

“I get worried about that message, but I also admire Philly for giving him a chance,” he said. “That’s more meaningful for me. I look at a guy that scored 20,000 points and played hurt and did so much and now he’s got to play for a non-guaranteed contract, that’s pretty troubling for me.”

If Iverson accepts the offer, his likely debut would come Monday night at home against Denver. In a double-dose of intriguing timing, the Sixers play at home Dec. 9 against Detroit.

Perhaps Iverson will show his former teams that he still has something left in the No. 3 jersey.

Or, the Nuggets and Pistons will see they made the right choice to move on without the controversial guard.

CSNPhilly.com first reported the offer.

Memphis Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley told the AP on Tuesday that he spent almost an hour on the phone with Stefanski before his meeting with Iverson.

“I told him I thought Allen had the game and I thought he would be a positive contribution to his team and was sorry it didn’t work out with us. I thought to get back with Philadelphia, it was a good chance it would work out for them. I feel extremely happy about it,” Heisley said.

“Quite frankly, I’m sorry that we couldn’t work it out between us and Allen. I don’t feel duped. I don’t feel upset. I quite frankly arranged for the severance, which we could’ve stopped, which would’ve stopped him from being able to play for anybody. I did it so he would have an opportunity to go play.”

The 34-year-old Iverson began an indefinite leave of absence on Nov. 7 to deal with a personal issue.

Heisley said he knew exactly what the personal matter was, but he refused to discuss that issue.

“I hope it’s cleared up,” he said.

Heisley believed Iverson would return at first, then said he thinks Iverson did not want to rejoin the Grizzlies for reasons that could have included retirement or possible interest from other teams.

“I hope he comes back and I hope he has a great career with them,” Heisley said.

ginobili's bald spot
12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Best article I've seen that outlines the true obvious about AI

Mark my words. They'll be sorry.

Why? It's not like they have anything to lose.

Culburn369
12-01-2009, 03:56 PM
+, they've never recovered from their original [sorry].

SenorSpur
12-01-2009, 03:58 PM
History sides with Iverson in Philly reunion (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnG5mCRPqhCDxRVVUjBnRY28vLYF?slug=aw-iversonsixers120109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns)
By Adrian Wojnarowski

Thirteen months ago, Allen Iverson made a compelling case for change at the dining room table of Joe Dumars. He made something of a stump speech to the Pistons president, understanding what a champion wanted to hear, what would play to this audience.

Over dinner, Iverson suggested that the public had such bad ideas about him, and he wanted to change it all with Detroit. He wanted the structure, the responsibility, the culture of the Pistons’ winning program. His children were older, and he wanted to reshape the legacy he left for them. Iverson has been the showman of his time, forever playing to the circumstance and crowd.

“They’re dedicated to winning,” Iverson told me a few days later. “Me being at the end of my career, that’s what I’m all about. All I care about is winning.”

Iverson has turned into the worst kind of basketball con man now. He knows what people want to hear, and he delivers it on cue. He couldn’t last the full season in Detroit, and he couldn’t last a full week in Memphis. Now, Philadelphia meets with him, hears it and coach Eddie Jordan marveled of Iverson, “He’s a charming individual.”

Always. And yet, when it comes to Iverson, there’s long been no use judging him on word. Just deed. This is a different Sixers’ front office and coaching regime, but they ought to know: Allen Iverson has been the most relentlessly consistent player in the NBA for a decade. He’s about A.I., and that will always be true.

Here’s how this is going to with the Sixers: Once they let him back into the gym, this will be different than Detroit, different than Memphis. After all, Iverson has history in Philadelphia. He was a forever athlete in Philly, and always will be. He transcended basketball there, and become a cultural phenomenon.

Perhaps he can be the starter over Jrue Holiday until Louis Williams returns from a broken jaw, but what then? Think A.I. willingly gives back that job? What happens when this barren arena starts to replenish with fans wanting to see Iverson again, when the No. 3 jerseys rush through the turnstiles? What happens when Iverson doesn’t want to run the coach’s Princeton offense? What happens when he starts to humiliate assistant coach Randy Ayers on the team bus, like he did when Ayers was his head coach there?

What happens?

This happens: Iverson will test his popularity with that of a general manager, Ed Stefanski, that the public only knows for overpaying a broken down Elton Brand. What happens when Iverson takes on his coach, Eddie Jordan? He wins, because what does the public know about Jordan except that he’s lost a lot of games in Philly so far?

“He will be the only one there with a love affair history with that city,” one Western Conference executive said. “He’s the one person who can stand up and speak to the fans of Philly, and he will do that. He will talk about how much he needs them, and they will give him the benefit of the doubt before anyone else there.”

The case for signing Iverson is purely business – selling seats and jerseys – because he becomes a full-time job for the coaching staff. There will always be an issue to iron out, an attitude to placate, a crisis coming and going. People will call for it to happen, because it gives an irrelevant franchise an immediate identity. Everywhere else in the NBA, they’re having throwback jersey nights. The Sixers want a throwback star. Only, they’ll go back into time and find that for all the angst that Iverson brings, it comes without the dominance. It comes without the game-changer.

Iverson comes back to Philly believing he’s the player who left there still a franchise star. He can’t see himself the way the rest of basketball does, because fading legends seldom do. They’re always the last to know, and that’s Allen Iverson now. Nevertheless, he’s smart enough to play along with the process, to tell Stefanski and Jordan that he gets it now, that he had his epiphany, and he just wants to come home, just wants to fit in, just wants to win.

“Charming,” Eddie Jordan said, and deep down, he knows the truth, too. This is a con game, and no one plays it like Allen Iverson. The blame doesn’t go to him now, but the Sixers. They’re bringing in the most relentlessly consistent player in the NBA – all about A.I., all the time – and they need to understand something.

Once they let Allen Iverson back into the gym, back into the waiting arms of a desperate Sixers fandom, well, good luck getting him out.

Second best article I've read. There is truly an "elephant in the room". The results were clear in Denver, Detroit, and Memphis. Now the Sixers are the latest team willing to "drink the AI kool-aid". Most of his NBA peers don't want to admit it. Neither are most NBA analysts. Dude is a talented and self-deluded, lockerroom cancer. Always has been. It's just that his overwhelming talent made him worth the trouble. He's now reached a point in his career where that is not the case.

Will Hunting
12-01-2009, 04:16 PM
Second best article I've read. There is truly an "elephant in the room". The results were clear in Denver, Detroit, and Memphis. Now the Sixers are the latest team willing to "drink the AI kool-aid". Most of his NBA peers don't want to admit it. Neither are most NBA analysts. Dude is a talented and self-deluded, lockerroom cancer. Always has been. It's just that his overwhelming talent made him worth the trouble. He's now reached a point in his career where that is not the case.

I think his recent career might have humbled him a bit. When he retired, he probably realized how sour of an image most people would remember him with, and quickly changed his mind praying he could end his career on a good note. Now that he's returning to Philly he's probably just gonna keep his mouth shut so he can have a good ending to his career and can retire in front of fans who like him. On the flip sides, if he acts up and can't last in Philly, his public image gets even worse.

NuGGeTs-FaN
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM
I hope he comes back vs Denver and then Ty Lawson will show AI what 'quick' really means :smokin

Culburn369
12-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Yer on the River Denial, Will.

Culburn369
12-01-2009, 04:22 PM
I hope he comes back vs Denver and then Ty Lawson will show AI what 'quick' really means :smokin

Has that muttonhead Karl fitted Lawson with a governor yet?

anakha
12-01-2009, 04:23 PM
I think his recent career might have humbled him a bit. When he retired, he probably realized how sour of an image most people would remember him with, and quickly changed his mind praying he could end his career on a good note. Now that he's returning to Philly he's probably just gonna keep his mouth shut so he can have a good ending to his career and can retire in front of fans who like him. On the flip sides, if he acts up and can't last in Philly, his public image gets even worse.

Maybes and could bes pale in the presence of past and recent action.

Pistons < Spurs
12-01-2009, 04:55 PM
What a big mistake for Philly! This decision has nothing to do with basketball. It's all business. Put some butts in the seats and sell some jerseys.

He nor his style of play fit with the players or the scheme the coach was trying to instill. So much for long term thoughts and attempts of developing the youth. AI is not part of their future efforts, and will only slow down the entire process for everyone else. Yes he can still score the ball. He'll probably average 24 & 5. But at the end of the day, his ball dominance takes away from the other players. He does nothing more than push them closer to .500 at best.

lefty
12-01-2009, 09:53 PM
The double standard is just adorable. Kobe is ridiculed for 3 years running because Daddy caught a ringer in south Florida, but, this little ringless pissant gets a free ride all the way to the bitter end.
You are an idiot

I'm talking about a single season

Insecure Laker fan, overracting