PDA

View Full Version : Is Bogans the next Bowen or just a upgraded Udoka?

Tito_Trinidad
11-28-2009, 08:08 AM
In my opinion, an improved Udoka.

DesignatedT
11-28-2009, 09:01 AM
I think thats a pretty good comparison. I think his game is an upgrade from udokas in pretty much every way. when we first got ime he might have been a little more consistent from 3 pt land but bogans is much better at putting the ball on the floor and taking it to the rim. defensively bogans seems a little quicker than udoka but is still no bruce bowen.

Spurs Brazil
11-28-2009, 09:21 AM
Bogans is much better than Udoka

Udoka was terrible last season on both ends

SenorSpur
11-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Agreed. Bogans is much, much better than Udoka, on both ends.

I only wish that Bogans wouldn've been afforded the benefit of playing a year or two with the great Bruce Bowen - as Udoka was able to do.

DesignatedT
11-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Udoka was very productive his first year as a spur and again in the new orleans series in 08. I agree he was awful last year and i would take bogans in a heartbeat but overall out of udokas career here he played well at certain times.... 13 games into the season is a little quick to pull the trigger about bogans. he is still un proven and is shooting horrendous from 3 lately.

jack0fspeed
11-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Bogans is a good defender and a mediocre 3pt shooter (35%)

Bowen was a great defender that could defend 1-4 and an excellent 3pt shooter at 40%

I knew Bruce Bowen ... Mr. Bogans, you're no Bruce Bowen.

DesignatedT
11-28-2009, 10:05 AM
bogans is shooting under 27% from 3 so far this year. 8-30

He isnt THAT much better than Ime was (especially his first year) although his arsenal of offensive moves are a lot better than those of bruce and ime. he is definitely no bruce bowen on D.

Go For Tree
11-28-2009, 10:16 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Bogans looks like Chauncey Billups when you watch the game on a small screen tv??

exstatic
11-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Bogans is laterally quicker than Udoka, ridiculously so. That was always Ime's weak spot. Bogans is also a Manu class rebounder on the wing. He's averaging 2.5 in 18 minutes. Bruce's avg for his career was 2.8 in 28 minutes.

ElNono
11-28-2009, 10:42 AM
If Bogans can give us half of what Bruce did, then we will be a whole lot better than last year... and that's all you can ask for right now...

MaNu4Tres
11-28-2009, 10:44 AM
bogans is shooting under 27% from 3 so far this year. 8-30

He isnt THAT much better than Ime was (especially his first year) although his arsenal of offensive moves are a lot better than those of bruce and ime. he is definitely no bruce bowen on D.

Sample size is too small. As it was with Mason earlier in the year. By February his percentage should be back up to close to his career average. IMO

Tito_Trinidad
11-28-2009, 10:54 AM
Am I the only one who thinks Bogans looks like Chauncey Billups when you watch the game on a small screen tv??

When playing the garbage 2k10, RJeff looks like Bowen and Blair looks like Finley. Obviously in a small TV

TheTruth
11-28-2009, 10:55 AM

You need a bigger TV sir...

Whisky Dog
11-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Why does he have to be like one or the other? He's his own player - a tough nosed defender with a limited outside shot, good rebounding ability, and a decent ability to put the ball on the floor and get into the lane.

Spursfan092120
11-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I think he's Keith Bogans.

Mel_13
11-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Why does he have to be like one or the other? He's his own player - a tough nosed defender with a limited outside shot, good rebounding ability, and a decent ability to put the ball on the floor and get into the lane.

I think he's Keith Bogans.

Correct answers

Go For Tree
11-28-2009, 11:48 AM
You need a bigger TV sir...

im still looking to upgrade.... cant i just borrow yours?

cmon though. dude looks like billups.

whats going on for tonight? we all hanging out or what?

td4mvp21
11-28-2009, 11:52 AM
No one is the next Bowen. But, Bogans has a lot of potential...he really needs to start hitting his shots with some consistency. If he can do that, I think the comparison will be a lot more towards Bowen.

Dex
11-28-2009, 12:31 PM
He's somewhere imbetween.

We'll never have another Bruce Bowen. Bogans is a solid defender, but I don't just sit there and watch him lock down his defender like you could with Bowen. I'd also much rather have Bruce spotting up from the corner, despite the fact that Bogans brings a little bit more variety to his offense.

On the other hand, Udoka was a disappointment. He was constantly out of place on the court, and seemed to drag his whole game down if he wasn't making shots (which was fairly commonplace). You could just see the team fall into a funk when he was on the floor.

Indazone
11-28-2009, 01:32 PM
He is the next dirty defensive player in a long line of dirty defensive players.

JustinJDW
11-28-2009, 01:35 PM
He is in between. Bogans is much better than Udoka, but he isn't as great a defender as Bowen. Bowen could guard 1-4. He guarded guys from Steve Nash to Dirk. Bogans can't do that.

But Bogans is a great player on our Team. :toast

K-State Spur
11-28-2009, 01:40 PM
i've said it before, but i think bogans will consistently give the Spurs what they got from Udoka when he was his absolute best.

remember that there were times (i.e. Hornets series) where Udoka played well for the club. the problem was that he couldn't consistently sustain it. and once kobe punked him during the 3rd quarter of game 1 of the following series, it was all but over for him as a spur.

Blackjack
11-28-2009, 01:45 PM
Bogans is just about what we hoped Ime would be; no, he's not the next Bowen.

He's roughly the same size, he rebounds the position similarly, he's a physical sonbitch, and he's a professional through-and-through.

Ime was a more gifted passer but Bogans is a better attacker of the basket in this system and, more importantly, possesses the foot-speed to defend on the perimeter against much quicker players.

Yeah, I've made mention of that on more than one occasion. He's a 6-5 version of Billups physically in the way he's shaped and proportioned; it has nothing to do with facial features.

ffadicted
11-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Trade Bogans and stuff for Battier :jack

With that said, he's not even close to Bowen right now, but better then Udoka. So I guess that answers your question

SamoanTD
11-28-2009, 02:58 PM
A shit load better than udoka but not bowen

Ryvin1
11-28-2009, 03:05 PM
Bogans isn't Bowen, not sure many players are the same tier defender Bowen was, but I'd have to say Bogans has really impressed me as his defense is nice and his offensive skills were much better then I thought.

celldweller
11-28-2009, 04:41 PM
Bench Bogans, start Hill. Hill is a better defender & all around player. When Parker needs a blow, move Hill to the point. Do it now Pop!

itzsoweezee
11-28-2009, 05:06 PM
bogans might not shoot the three that well, but he's a better scorer than both bowen and udoka. he can take it off the dribble, unlike those other two.

the crimson blur
11-28-2009, 05:18 PM
You know, people always say "no one will ever be the next Jordan/Duncan/Magic/etc." but the same can be said about the best role players in NBA history. Replacing what Robert Horry, Steve Kerr, and Bruce Bowen bring perfectly is and always will be impossible.

But does that mean newer players won't be able to create their own legend? No. If everything goes right, Bogans, Hill, Blair, Mason, and Bonner will be remembered for what they did on their own merits, and not through comparisons with role players of years past.