PDA

View Full Version : Tim Duncan Calls Out Geometric Angle Needed To Make Bank Shot

duncan228
11-28-2009, 01:14 PM
The Onion continues to love Duncan.

Tim Duncan Calls Out Geometric Angle Needed To Make Bank Shot (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/tim_duncan_calls_out)

http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/Duncan.article_large_2.jpg

SAN ANTONIO—Immediately after releasing a 12-foot jump shot Tuesday night, Spurs center Tim Duncan called out the angle necessary for the ball to bank off the backboard and into the basket. "Forty-six-point-seven degrees," said the airborne Duncan, also noting the ball's initial upward velocity of 14.4 meters per second after a moment of mental calculation. "Two points." According to team sources, when teammate Tony Parker failed to call out the angle of a bank shot later in the game, Duncan glared at the point guard for the entire fourth quarter.

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 01:15 PM
LOL..I knew it was the Onion as soon as I read the headline..funny stuff though..

Spursfan092120
11-28-2009, 01:16 PM
:lmao:lmao
priceless...and probably accurate

spursdotcom
11-28-2009, 01:19 PM
:lmao

thanks for posting 228!

duncan228
11-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Links to The Onion's past pieces on Duncan on page 5 of the Duncan Forum.

Rapper
11-28-2009, 01:31 PM
A well-educated man

Cant_Be_Faded
11-28-2009, 01:35 PM
duncan was born to be on the onion

Muser
11-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Tony Parker failed to call out the angle of a bank shot later in the game, Duncan glared at the point guard for the entire fourth quarter.

vander
11-28-2009, 02:26 PM
it's been years since he's consistently been able to hit that bank shot, yet everyone still thinks it's his signature shot.

what are the actual stats on it? I bet he shoots it less than 50% and hits only around one per game.

ffadicted
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
:lol

exstatic
11-28-2009, 02:46 PM
it's been years since he's consistently been able to hit that bank shot, yet everyone still thinks it's his signature shot.

what are the actual stats on it? I bet he shoots it less than 50% and hits only around one per game.

If it's your hypothesis, don't be a lazy ass. Look it up yourself.

vander
11-28-2009, 03:35 PM
If it's your hypothesis, don't be a lazy ass. Look it up yourself.

If I had every game this year recorded, I maybe would, but I don't, so I can't

It should be obvious that he can't/doesn't utilize it like he once did, yet no one seems to be keeping up, media and such are still using the TD talking points from 4 years ago

duncan228
11-28-2009, 03:40 PM
I don't have Duncan's career bank shot stats, but I do have every game recorded. Maybe I'll find some time to put something together.

Meanwhile, this is from May 2007.

Duncan perfects art of bank shot
Doug Haller

SAN ANTONIO - Tim Duncan's bank shot is nothing exciting. It's the librarian in a beauty pageant.

The vanilla ice cream of basketball.

Go ahead and yawn.

But here's the thing: Duncan's basic, boring jumper goes in most of the time, which produces a significant question: Why don't more players go glass?

"Shoot, I don't know," Suns guard Raja Bell said. "Everybody has their thing they fall in love with, and Timmy fell in love with the glass. That's a security blanket for him."

According to postgame stat sheets, Duncan went 3 for 5 on bank shots in Game 1. Decent enough. But then the All-Star forward went 9 for 12 in Game 2, making Robert Sarver wonder whether it was time to exercise his authority in Phoenix.

"I was about ready to take the glass down," the Suns managing partner joked on his weekly radio show. "I mean, can you believe the way that guy banks those things off the backboard? It's not even soft. He knows exactly were to hit the backboard, and it goes in every time."

Duncan made 6 of 9 bank shots in Game 3. He finished with 33 points. How does he make it look so easy? The process starts with court sense. Every bank shot Duncan took in Game 2 came from within 8 to 12 feet. None was forced.

Then Duncan's height factors in - he stands 6 feet 11 - as well as his arm length.

"The angle he gets on that shot is not natural for most players," said David Griffin, Suns' vice president of basketball operations. "It's really a rare thing."

Suns forward James Jones couldn't think of another bank-shot perfectionist in the league.

"Tim's the only player I've seen in the last 10 to 15 years that can do it consistently from wherever," Jones said.

Part of this stems from society's preference for flash over substance. As Suns reserve Sean Marks points out, "The kids in the schoolyard aren't working on their Tim Duncan bank shots."

They're launching three-pointers, perfecting crossovers and timing dunk steps. And there's nothing wrong with that, Suns reserve Jalen Rose said.

"That's like saying how come poor free-throw shooters don't shoot under their legs like (Rick Barry). Or how come big men don't shoot the skyhook like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar," Rose said. "That's just Tim's trademark thing."

Rose did, however, admit that the bank shot lacked a certain coolness. That's why you hear recreational players calling "glass" when they're about to release a bank shot.

They don't want anyone to think they actually missed that badly. It happens in the NBA, too.

"I'll say glass," Rose said. "When you shoot it from the front of the rim or from a bad angle, you must call it."

It's actually harder than it looks.

"You have to have touch to shoot it off the backboard," Suns center Kurt Thomas said. "I like to swish the ball in, but every now and then, depending on the angle, I'll look for the glass. It depends where I'm at on the floor."

At the end of a recent practice, the Spurs big men all took turns shooting nothing but bank shots.

At the end of Saturday's pregame shooting session, the Suns shot from both ends of AT&T Center. Eric Piatkowski and a few others attempted bank shots, but not many. This is natural.

"It's a fundamental skill," Jones said. "Every player wants to have it in his game, but pulling it out in a game is a different story."

raspsa
11-28-2009, 04:52 PM
I\m guessing Timmy got a protractor set for X'mas as a kid..

TIMMYD!
11-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I think I've only seen Tim miss about three bank shots this whole year but it might be more.

Darkwaters
11-28-2009, 05:06 PM
http://www.chicos.caltech.edu/classroom/pointer/protractor.gif
I\m guessing Timmy got a protractor set for X'mas as a kid..

Andy25
11-28-2009, 06:19 PM
I love it with Timmy faces up with a rookie defender and you can sense that the rookie is scared because he doesn't know what to do and there is hesitation and Timmy just shoots the bank shot over his head and welcomes him into the NBA.

spurs1990
11-28-2009, 06:58 PM
I know the Onion started in Madison, WI, so did Timmy beat Wisconsin in college or something?

He's been on there more than anyone not sitting in the White House.

HarlemHeat37
11-28-2009, 07:11 PM
Duncan is shooting 20-32 off bank shots this year, 62.5%..I'd say that's a very high %, probably his best in years..

Bender
11-28-2009, 07:44 PM
dang, that's better than I would have thought. I would have guessed around 50%.

phyzik
11-28-2009, 07:58 PM
I use the backboard in pick-up games.

I especially like to use it in games of HORSE.

Spursmania
11-28-2009, 08:01 PM
Duncan is shooting 20-32 off bank shots this year, 62.5%..I'd say that's a very high %, probably his best in years..

Impressive:tu

duncan228
11-28-2009, 08:20 PM

Thanks for the info.

SpursRulez4eVeR
11-28-2009, 08:24 PM
man i love the onion they are hilarious...
bank is open all day everyday for TD...its his choice to shoot it or not...

duhoh
11-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Tony Parker failed to call out the angle of a bank shot later in the game, Duncan glared at the point guard for the entire fourth quarter.

oh boy :lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

Danny.Zhu
11-28-2009, 09:52 PM
I don't have Duncan's career bank shot stats, but I do have every game recorded. Maybe I'll find some time to put something together.

Meanwhile, this is from May 2007.

Thanks. Cool article.

Danny.Zhu
11-28-2009, 09:57 PM

:toast

Danny.Zhu
11-28-2009, 10:12 PM

Wondering Tim's score for geometry in high school.

Galileo
11-29-2009, 01:45 AM

Tim "Euclid" Duncan!!!

senorglory
11-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Tim "Euclid" Duncan!!!

"The Big Euclid?"

senorglory
11-29-2009, 09:19 PM
So... how come every big man doesn't shoot the sky hook and/or the bank shot? I get that kids aren't naturally drawn to these anachronisms, but what about NBA bound college players, or determined D-Leaguers? Why wouldn't at the professional level, these men learn these skills? And why doesn't Duncan shoot his free throws ala Rick Barry? Seems like these methods deserve a larger audience.

Is the sky hook just as uncool to Chinese, Euro, and Baltic teens? Why don't we see it at the international level either?

TDomination
11-29-2009, 09:24 PM
just wondering, how did you get that info?

baseline bum
11-29-2009, 09:40 PM

I thought Tim's bank shot has looked really good this year. Where in the world did you find that stat though? :lol

vander
11-29-2009, 09:44 PM
he made it up, the actual stat is 19 for 35

no I'm sorry I made that up too

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-29-2009, 10:11 PM

Not this year. He's shooting it better than he has since about 2005. I can clearly recall a game this year where he banked 6 or 7 from 10-18ft.

I agree that he hasn't shot it all that well for the last 3 years or so though.

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I didn't make those numbers up..

I just looked at NBA.com play-by-play, because they write the attempts in detail..I just searched the page with FireFox's "Find" option, then I looked up Duncan's shot attempts in the games I have recorded to see if the play-by-play was correct, since sometimes it isn't..

I wasn't trying to prove that idiot wrong, I was just pointing it out for people that wanted to know..

LoneStarState'sPride
11-30-2009, 01:43 AM
I've always admired Timmy's bank shot. Pulled it out a couple times at the Texas A&M rec center tonight. Only hit it like twice out of the 4 or 5 times I tried (that shot really IS harder than it looks), but it scares people when you hit it lol

Manufan909
11-30-2009, 02:00 AM
I didn't make those numbers up..

I just looked at NBA.com play-by-play, because they write the attempts in detail..I just searched the page with FireFox's "Find" option, then I looked up Duncan's shot attempts in the games I have recorded to see if the play-by-play was correct, since sometimes it isn't..

I wasn't trying to prove that idiot wrong, I was just pointing it out for people that wanted to know..

owned

MI21
11-30-2009, 02:46 AM
I don't see how anybody watching the Spurs this year couldn't have noticed how smooth Tim's bankshot has been. I haven't seen it looking this good since about 2003.

raspsa
11-30-2009, 02:51 AM
Timmy has so many go-to moves he probably forgot all about his bank shot these past few years.. I really like the way he's looking to shoot his jumper nowadays.. saves a lot of wear and tear.

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2009, 03:00 AM
Definitely agree..

This is how he was playing offensively last year before the injury, it was the best he looked in years..so hopefully he'll keep it up this year with the weight down, hopefully it helps avoid an injury..

He's avoiding the moves that he can't do anymore due to age, which is something he wasn't doing in years prior, usually resulting in his shot being blocked..he's also using his left a lot so far, which is great to see, and something he seemed to avoid..

He's shooting 47% off his Js this year, which is by far the highest in his career..his % has risen the past few years as he's worked on it, so it doesn't seem like an anomaly..

His defense has also been elite since he returned from injury, and definitely better than his D looked at any point last year IMO..

rjv
11-30-2009, 10:28 AM
if duncan is the descartes of the glass then gervin was euclid.

hater
11-30-2009, 10:38 AM
yesterday was one of those games for Duncan where everything was going in. he still got it

rjv
11-30-2009, 11:00 AM
i'm still trying to recall the dumb ass writers who were indicating that duncan is now only "serviceable".

vander
11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
owned

calling people names is what constitutes ownage these days?

sad

Galileo
11-30-2009, 12:30 PM
"The Big Euclid?"

Yes! The BIG EUCLID!!

sananspursfan21
11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
he's so smart