PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Postcards from practice

duncan228
11-28-2009, 05:59 PM
Postcards from practice (http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/11/postcards-from.html#more)
By Jeff McDonald

A few tidbits from this afternoon's practice session ...

* Manu Ginobili (strained groin) was expected to practice this afternoon, perhaps clearing the way for his return Sunday against Philly. Roger Mason Jr. (strained hamstring) was not expected to workout, which would cast his availability for Sunday's game in doubt. Practice is still going on -- I can still hear the thump, thump, thump of balls hitting the court in the next room -- so we'll probably have a firmer status update on both players a later this evening.

It would be a bad time for the Spurs to lose Mason, who is playing the best basketball of his season after a slow start.

* George Hill appeared no worse for wear after taking a Kyle Lowry finger up his nose in the waning moments Friday at Houston. The shot opened a cut inside Hill's nose that required two stitches to close. Aside from those stitches peeking out his left nostril this afternoon, Hill showed no sign of injury.

It marked the second time this month an opposing player has tried to mess up Hill's mug. In a Nov. 19 game against Utah, Hill took an elbow to the chops that loosened a tooth.

"I'm trying to get a GQ photo shoot, and they're messing my face up," Hill said.

He seems to be taking his new role as a punching bag in stride.

"Basketball is a rough sport," he said. "I'm just happy it wasn't more than what it was."

* Slowly but surely, the Spurs are beginning to climb the league's defensive rankings. The Spurs surrendered just 84 points on 35.9-percent shooting in Friday's win at Houston. They now rank 12th in points allowed (97 per game) and 10th in field-goal percentage defense (44.4 percent).

Neither number is where coach Gregg Popovich would like it, but it is an improvement over two weeks ago, when the Spurs ranked in the bottom half of the league in both categories.

"We're getting better," Tony Parker said. "I still think we can make some improvements. All the new guys are getting used to the system, and what Pop wants. Hopefully, we can keep it going."

Against the Rockets, the Spurs put on a defensive clinic to start the second half, holding Houston scoreless for the first 7:23. Houston missed 17 consecutive shots during that span.

"Last night was a great example of us playing good defense," Parker said. "It was a great win, maybe our best win this season."

* Spurs center Theo Ratliff, who played with Allen Iverson from 1997-2001 in Philadelphia, joined the chorus calling for the former league MVP to re-think his retirement.

"Hopefully it's not the end for him," Ratliff said.

Ratliff seemed encouraged by reports that Larry Brown, who coached both players in Philly, had advised Iverson not to retire.

"They have a great relationship, even with all the turmoil they went through for a while in Philly," Ratliff said. "They've always had a great respect for each other."

Hit the link for audio.

Audio from Spurs practice on Saturday

Spurs guard Tony Parker
Spurs guard George Hill
Spurs center Theo Ratliff

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblogs/courtside/2009/11/postcards-from.html#more

jack0fspeed
11-28-2009, 06:20 PM

* Spurs center Theo Ratliff, who played with Allen Iverson from 1997-2001 in Philadelphia, joined the chorus calling for the former league MVP to re-think his retirement.

"Chorus" eh? Who else besides Larry Brown, Theo Ratliff, and AI's mom?

siraulo23
11-28-2009, 06:40 PM
POST-PRACTICE UPDATE: This just in from the Spurs' medical staff. Ginobili practiced this afternoon, perhaps clearing the way for his return against Philly. He is officially listed as day-to-day. Mason did not practice, and is doubtful for Sunday's game.

Update of the article

Amuseddaysleeper
11-28-2009, 07:12 PM
My guess is Ginobili plays no more than 15 minutes on Sunday.

Spursmania
11-28-2009, 08:04 PM
"I'm trying to get a GQ photo shoot, and they're messing my face up," Hill said.:lol

kbrury
11-28-2009, 08:15 PM
My guess is Ginobili plays no more than 15 minutes on Sunday.

Yep I hope so, Spurs should win this comfortably if they keep playing like they are against a struggling and injured 76er team.

TIMMYD!
11-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I'd be okay with Manu and Mason being out one more game just to rest up.

exstatic
11-28-2009, 08:59 PM
If Pop is thinking Ginobili is only good for 15 minutes, he won't play him. He'll play 25-30, or he won't dress.

Spurs Brazil
11-28-2009, 09:56 PM
Too bad for Mason Jr. I hope we can see him back against the Celtics