PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Spurs are right on pace

duncan228
11-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Spurs are right on pace (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Spurs_are_right_on_pace.html)
Mike Monroe

Gregg Popovich was asked Friday to explain the curious fact that his team had scored at least 112 points in five of its seven victories and also had the fifth-biggest increase in average points per game, from last season to this.

His response was a combination of faultless logic and biting sarcasm.

“We have more good players this year than we had last year,” he said. “Or, I could say I invented some new plays that nobody else knows and that are unbelievable.”

In fact, Popovich has tossed a lot of pages out of his playbook, simplifying things for a roster full of newcomers.

It must be the improvement in talent.

Popovich insists the Spurs are not trying to push the pace of the game this season just because they finally got younger and more athletic.

Other teams definitely are, including the Rockets, who have to compensate for the season-long loss of 7-foot-6 Yao Ming.

“Yeah,” said Rockets coach Rick Adelman, “more teams are trying to push the ball. There are different philosophies in what they're doing when they're pushing it and how they're doing it. I think it depends on the players you have and your personnel. But I think more teams are in that mode of trying to get it up the court faster.”

Simply pushing the pace is no guarantee of success. Paul Westhead proved that in 1990-91, when his Denver Nuggets led the NBA in scoring, at 119.9 points per game, but gave up 130. Westhead's theory that a hyper-fast pace favored the team that forced the action worked when he coached a talented Loyola-Marymount team but got turned on its head in the NBA.

Mike D'Antoni two years ago got pushed out of his job in Phoenix because scoring in seven seconds or less was no way to beat the Spurs in the playoffs.

“I don't think it was the Spurs' defense that beat the Suns,” Adelman said. “It was the fact the Suns couldn't stop the Spurs. It was pretty good for them. (Manu) Ginobili and (Tony) Parker were able to get to the rim as the speed increased, and they got easier baskets.”

Adelman is one of the NBA's most under-appreciated coaches, and he has shown he can coach whatever pace it takes to win.

“When the pace increases, you're going to get hurt at the other end,” he said. “You're playing a different type of game. Our style in the past, with Yao, we were a very good half-court defense. We got back, and it was hard to score.

“I think what happens when teams run more is you get easier baskets. Now, do you have something to fall back on when the running doesn't work and you're not getting the easy baskets? That's the problem we're running into.”

Know this: Just because the Spurs' scoring average is up by more than five points per game doesn't mean they won't fall back on their defense when they must.

TIMMYD!
11-28-2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, we're bomb.

duhoh
11-28-2009, 11:07 PM
giggity!

Interrohater
11-28-2009, 11:32 PM
“I don't think it was the Spurs' defense that beat the Suns,” Adelman said. “It was the fact the Suns couldn't stop the Spurs. It was pretty good for them. (Manu) Ginobili and (Tony) Parker were able to get to the rim as the speed increased, and they got easier baskets.”

I don't care how good a coach he is, this is a stupid thing to say, or an asinine observation.

If the Spurs defense didn't stop the Suns, then Tony and Manu getting to the rim would just have been trading baskets with Phoenix. So the Spurs just kind of stood around while Tony and Manu drove, scored, allowed the Suns to score, rinse and repeat. I feel like a jerk for calling out a guy who is a subject-matter expert, but this is stupid. Maybe he's letting his own feelings about the Spurs get in the way.

phyzik
11-29-2009, 12:00 AM
Know this: Just because the Spurs' scoring average is up by more than five points per game doesn't mean they won't fall back on their defense when they must.

It's always been that way, even through the run and gun Suns years. We have always been able to keep pace with run and gun, we just prefered the halfcourt defense.

We just got a little long in the tooth to keep that up though.

Blackjack
11-29-2009, 03:50 AM
I don't care how good a coach he is, this is a stupid thing to say, or an asinine observation.

If the Spurs defense didn't stop the Suns, then Tony and Manu getting to the rim would just have been trading baskets with Phoenix. So the Spurs just kind of stood around while Tony and Manu drove, scored, allowed the Suns to score, rinse and repeat. I feel like a jerk for calling out a guy who is a subject-matter expert, but this is stupid. Maybe he's letting his own feelings about the Spurs get in the way.

It's really not.

He didn't say their defense had nothing to do with it, just that the defense without their type of offense wouldn't have been sufficient enough. That's what I interpreted, at least..

The Spurs' defense never stopped the Suns, it took away what it could; the Spurs focused on neutralizing the three-point shot, (thus sacrificing points to Amar'e) controlling the boards, and keeping them in the half court as much as possible. Plenty of the games came down to the final possessions and because of the discipline, structure, and the overall savvy of the Spurs, they were able to thrive on offense down the stretch under pressure.

The Suns, for the most part, scored enough points, they just couldn't get a stop against the Spurs when they absolutely had to.

The Spurs' offense, not an abysmal defense, was arguably what put them over the top..

duhoh
11-29-2009, 04:00 AM
It's really not.

He didn't say their defense had nothing to do with it, just that the defense without their type of offense wouldn't have been sufficient enough. That's what I interpreted, at least..

The Spurs' defense never stopped the Suns, it took away what it could; the Spurs focused on neutralizing the three-point shot, (thus sacrificing points to Amar'e) controlling the boards, and keeping them in the half court as much as possible. Plenty of the games came down to the final possessions and because of the discipline, structure, and the overall savvy of the Spurs, they were able to thrive on offense down the stretch under pressure.

The Suns, for the most part, scored enough points, they just couldn't get a stop against the Spurs when they absolutely had to.

The Spurs' offense, not an abysmal defense, was arguably what put them over the top..

that 3 pointer by duncan comes to mind :toast

Mel_13
11-29-2009, 04:33 AM
It's really not.

This was the critical factor. It wasn't so much that the Spurs forced Phoenix to shoot the 3 pointer poorly, (the Suns shot a better percentage in the 05 and 07 series than they had in the regular season) it was that they kept the Suns from shooting enough 3's. In the 16 playoff games in 05, 07, and 08, the Suns attempted fewer 3 pointers than their regular season average in every single game.

2005 regular season: 25.4 attempts per game at 39.3%
2005 playoffs v. Spurs: 15.0 attempts per game at 41.3%

2007 RS: 24.0 attempts at 39.9%
v Spurs: 14.8 attempts at 41.5%

2008 RS: 21.5 attempts at 39.3%
v Spurs: 14.8 attempts at 33.8%

exstatic
11-29-2009, 09:47 AM

It's really not.

This was the critical factor. It wasn't so much that the Spurs forced Phoenix to shoot the 3 pointer poorly, (the Suns shot a better percentage in the 05 and 07 series than they had in the regular season) it was that they kept the Suns from shooting enough 3's. In the 16 playoff games in 05, 07, and 08, the Suns attempted fewer 3 pointers than their regular season average in every single game.

2005 regular season: 25.4 attempts per game at 39.3%
2005 playoffs v. Spurs: 15.0 attempts per game at 41.3%

2007 RS: 24.0 attempts at 39.9%
v Spurs: 14.8 attempts at 41.5%

2008 RS: 21.5 attempts at 39.3%
v Spurs: 14.8 attempts at 33.8%

The biggest factor in the multiple Suns series was transition defense. It limited their 3 point attempts, because a lot of those came in transition, and forced them to play half court, where they weren't nearly as efficient as they were on the break. I remember Pop allowing the scout team to take the ball out of the basket on a make (instead of out of bounds) to simulate the Suns break during practice.

The Spurs offense was the Spurs offense. They were doing the exact same efficient thing as they always did, just more times per game. Slowing down the Suns doesn't mean stopping them, and even limiting their opportunities on the break doesn't mean they'll use all 24 seconds, meaning more possessions per team than the average game.

senorglory
11-29-2009, 09:04 PM
“We have more good players this year than we had last year,” he said. “Or, I could say I invented some new plays that nobody else knows and that are unbelievable.”

My #2 favorite Popism.