PDA

View Full Version : Isiah Thomas says he could work with Phil Jackson

ducks
04-21-2005, 03:34 PM
Isiah Thomas says he could work with Phil Jackson
By CHRIS SHERIDAN, AP Basketball Writer
April 21, 2005

GREENBURGH, N.Y. (AP) -- Isiah Thomas wasn't exactly gushing as he spoke Thursday about Phil Jackson, the unemployed coach with nine championship rings who should expect a phone call soon from the New York Knicks.

Expressing what can best be described as a grudging admiration for the coach known as the Zen Master, Thomas said he wouldn't have a problem working side by side with a man who has already publicly expressed a desire to possibly coach the team he once played for.

``I can work with anybody that wants to win,'' Thomas said.

ADVERTISEMENT
click here
Coming off their fourth straight losing season, the Knicks headed their separate ways Thursday after Thomas addressed as a group. The team president wore his NBA championship ring as a reminder to himself and the players of how he had to endure several seasons of struggle before earning the one piece of jewelry every NBA player craves.

The Knicks' first offseason order of business will be interviewing candidates to become the team's fourth coach in the last two years.

Aside from interim coach Herb Williams, who was told he'll be among the candidates, Thomas didn't mention any prospective coaches by name except for Jackson, who took a season off following his departure from the Los Angeles Lakers following last year's NBA Finals.

``He is someone we'll definitely reach out and talk to,'' Thomas said. ``We need to find someone who shares our values and our vision of where we want to go.''

Thomas did give some insight into his feelings for Jackson, who coached the Chicago Bulls in the early '90s when Thomas and the Detroit Pistons were their biggest rivals. He said he spoke with Jackson once or twice on the phone, and also attended one of Jackson's coaching clinics, to discuss philosophies related to the triangle offense.

But Thomas didn't answer directly when asked what kind of a relationship he has with Jackson, or whether he still harbors any of the ill feelings he might have felt when Jackson was accumulating championships while coaching one of Thomas' most bitter rivals, Michael Jordan.

``His intelligence was sharp and biting,'' Thomas said, drawing a comparison to Bill Laimbeer -- a player disliked intensely by others but treasured by his own team for his work ethic and contributions toward turning a team into a winner.

Madison Square Garden president Steve Mills, who sat next to Thomas as he spoke with reporters, said team owner James Dolan of Cablevision hadn't expressed a preference for Jackson over any other coaching candidate.

But Mills did say the fact the Knicks were still paying former coaches Don Chaney and Lenny Wilkens would have no bearing on the current coaching search.

Williams guided the Knicks to a 16-27 record. A nine-game losing streak that began in March ended any chance New York had of qualifying for the playoffs for a second straight year.

``We played hard every night, but we didn't play smart,'' Thomas said. ``We weren't a very intelligent team.''

It has now been four years since the Knicks won a postseason game, five years since they won a playoff series, and 32 years since they last won a championship (when Jackson was the team's power forward).

Williams earned the respect of the players and endorsements from various coaches and players around the league, but he didn't receive a declaration of support from Stephon Marbury, who is very close with Thomas.

``It would have been nice if I had it,'' Williams said. ``But he always put on his sneakers, he always played aggressively and played hard, and to me that says more than anything that came out of his mouth.''

Thomas said the Knicks are moving forward with the assumption that Allan Houston's knee injury will prevent him from playing next season, listed a big man and an athletic wing player as the team's two biggest needs and said he hoped Marbury would eventually develop some leadership qualities.

He also said no player on the roster was untouchable, but it's highly unlikely he would part with Marbury in a trade unless a monster opportunity -- something along the lines of the Lakers being willing to part with Kobe Bryant, or Minnesota looking to move Kevin Garnett -- presented itself.

``The way I feel right now, I'd trade my mother if the right deal came along,'' Thomas said.