PDA

View Full Version : McDonald: Spurs prepare to honor Admiral (Also: Wounded update)

duncan228
11-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Spurs prepare to honor Admiral (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/Spurs_prepare_to_honor_Admiral.html)
Jeff McDonald

When Tony Parker joined the Spurs as a teenager in 2001, he didn't know much about the city he was about to call home or the team he was about to call his own.

Yet he knew almost all there was to know about at least one of his new teammates. Parker had followed David Robinson's career almost from its beginning.

“I definitely knew who David was,” said Parker, who played alongside Robinson in the final two of the center's 14 seasons. “When I first came to San Antonio, that was the only thing I knew.”

The Spurs will honor Robinson's September induction into the Hall of Fame with a ceremony after tonight's game against Philadelphia at the AT&T Center. For those who played with him, and some who played against him, it is sure to be a special night.

“He was the perfect image of a professional,” Parker said. “Always dressed up, always worked hard. When I first came into the league, I was 19. I always looked up to him.”

Spurs center Theo Ratliff entered the league in 1995-96, when Robinson was the reigning MVP.

“He was always one of my favorites,” Ratliff said. “I always watched how he played, how he carried himself. He was a great example of how a player should be in this league. It's an honor to be a part of that celebration.”

Wounded update: Roger Mason Jr. (hamstring strain) did not practice Saturday and is doubtful tonight. Manu Ginobili (groin strain) did practice, clearing the way for a possible return against the 76ers. He is listed as day-to-day.

George Hill, meanwhile, expects to play after bloodying his nose against Houston. Kyle Lowry got a fingernail inside Hill's nose as they were grappling for a key rebound, opening a gash that required two stitches.

It was the second time this month Hill had taken a shot to the face. In a Nov.19 loss to Utah, an elbow to the mouth loosened one of Hill's teeth.

“I'm trying to get a GQ photo shoot sometime, and they're messing my face up,” Hill said.

Familiar foe: Ratliff, in his 15th season, has spent parts of his career with seven different teams. He is most readily identified with the 76ers, with whom he made his lone Finals appearance in 2001.

“That was where I became recognized as an NBA player,” said Ratliff, who played with the Sixers from 1997-2001 and again last season. “That was a great place for me. It always has fond memories for me.”

ricketts
11-29-2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks 228, as usual. wher edo you find this stuff?

kbrury
11-29-2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks 228, as usual. wher edo you find this stuff?

mysanantonio.com lol

Blackjack
11-29-2009, 01:18 AM
He is most readily identified with the 76ers, with whom he made his lone Finals appearance in 2001.

Ratliff, Mutombo.. semantics, really..

Besides, all shot-blockers look alike. :smokin

ricketts
11-29-2009, 01:23 AM
mysanantonio.com lol

livin in baltimore, mysanantonio isnt at the top of my list of things to check. but thanks for the heads up.

ElNono
11-29-2009, 01:27 AM
I miss five-oh... :depressed

Blackjack
11-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Could you imagine how ridiculous it would have been had Dave and Tim joined forces at the age Gasol and Bynum are now?

Oh, flux-capacitor.. :depressed

duhoh
11-29-2009, 04:02 AM
Could you imagine how ridiculous it would have been had Dave and Tim joined forces at the age Gasol and Bynum are now?

Bomb.com

BG_Spurs_Fan
11-29-2009, 04:25 AM
McDonald wtf hahah simple fact checking failure shock.

will_spurs
11-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Ratliff, Mutombo.. semantics, really..

Besides, all shot-blockers look alike. :smokin

Incredible mistake. On the other hand it was his lone All-Star selection.

TIMMYD!
11-29-2009, 01:35 PM

Let me get the DeLorean ready and gun it to 88. No but if we would've had them together Jordan might not have all those championships.

angelbelow
11-29-2009, 05:24 PM
Can't wait! unless they dont show it on LPBB...

duncan228
11-29-2009, 05:32 PM
Can't wait! unless they dont show it on LPBB...

I don't get any pre, post, or halftime stuff on my TV LP or my Broadband. I get the LP stats stuff or some random NBA TV clip. I don't think I'll get to see any of the Robinson stuff. :(

Maybe someone will put it on youtube.

Solid D
11-29-2009, 05:33 PM

Similar results, even when Dave and Tim did first join forces. The Lakers currently lead the NBA in Opp FG% at .419. Very similar to how the Spurs dominated teams defensively in Tim's and David's first years together.

Spurs Brazil
11-29-2009, 06:07 PM
I don't get any pre, post, or halftime stuff on my TV LP or my Broadband. I get the LP stats stuff or some random NBA TV clip. I don't think I'll get to see any of the Robinson stuff. :(

Maybe someone will put it on youtube.

I trust in spursdotcom :toast

Blackjack
11-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Similar results, even when Dave and Tim did first join forces. The Lakers currently lead the NBA in Opp FG% at .419. Very similar to how the Spurs dominated teams defensively in Tim's and David's first years together.

I was thinking had the peak of their athletic prowess coincided for a similar amount of time..

Plus, Dave and Tim would have been two-times the nightmare that is Gasol and Bynum. They're both superior individual and team defenders to those two, and their defensive skill set's compliment each other beautifully.

Dave and Tim for the majority of the '90's means Jordan's jewelry drawer is considerably lighter and Hakeem's SOL.

I guess it would've been asking a little too much for the basketball God's to smile down on SA more than they already did, though..:D

duhoh
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I was thinking had the peak of their athletic prowess coincided for a similar amount of time..

Plus, Dave and Tim would have been two-times the nightmare that is Gasol and Bynum. They're both superior individual and team defenders to those two, and their defensive skill set's compliment each other beautifully.

Dave and Tim for the majority of the '90's means Jordan's jewelry drawer is considerably lighter and Hakeem's SOL.

I guess it would've been asking a little too much for the basketball God's to smile down on SA more than they already did, though..:D

:toast