PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: McDyess' big game bodes well for Spurs

duncan228
11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
McDyess' big game bodes well for Spurs (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/McDyess_big_game_bodes_well_for_Spurs.html)
Mike Monroe

After helping the Spurs slow down the Golden State Warriors just enough to get a victory at the AT&T Center on Wednesday night, Spurs center Antonio McDyess discovered he also had to slow down a bit as he motored east on Interstate 10 after the game.

Heading to Houston for Thanksgiving dinner with his family at his offseason home, McDyess thought he might be able to trim a little time on the late-night drive by pushing the 70-mph speed limit, just a bit. Instead, he found he had to pace himself.

“There were so many cop cars out, I wasn't even tempted,” he said. “Every few miles, you'd see those flashing lights, and somebody was pulled over.”

Safe and sound and ticket-free, McDyess finally got in a comfort zone on the court when the Spurs played the Rockets at the Toyota Center on Friday. Turning in his best game since signing a free-agent contract with the Spurs on July 10, the 6-foot-9 veteran of 13 NBA seasons produced his first double-double in silver and black.

McDyess' 15-point, 14-rebound breakout in 31 minutes and eight seconds of court time augmented Tim Duncan's 21-point, 12-rebound interior game.

Duncan, the Spurs' captain, was happy to see it.

“Great, great,” Duncan said. “That's the kind of play we need from him. Defensively, he was solid, got a couple of blocked shots in there and rebounded the ball really well and made some big plays for us down the stretch.”

It was the sort of game McDyess has been anticipating more than anyone. He admits to some trepidation through the first month of the season, wondering when his legs would feel like the coiled springs that once made him one of the league's most freakishly athletic big men.

“Old age, I guess,” said McDyess, who turned 35 in September.

As he warmed up for Friday's game, McDyess felt so young that he cut short his pregame routine.

“(Friday) was one of the first games I felt good, wind-wise, and my legs were under me,” he said. “Hopefully, it will continue the whole season.”

If it does, the Spurs will have their most physical low-post tandem since the 2003 retirement of David Robinson, whose induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame will be celebrated after tonight's game against the Philadelphia 76ers at the AT&T Center.

McDyess may not be the 7-1 defensive menace that Robinson was, but his presence is tangible, and it makes Duncan more effective on the inside.

Gregg Popovich, long an admirer of McDyess' game, was thrilled to see him break out against the Rockets. The Spurs coach knew there would be a learning curve for each of his new players to get comfortable with new teammates and new ways of playing. McDyess, he said, has been an outstanding student.

“Antonio is a big-time pro who only cares about winning, and he's found, pretty quickly, where to be on the court in relation to players he hasn't been with before,” Popovich said. “He's been a real quick study finding his niche out there. It's a big plus for us.”

McDyess learned to be patient early through two injury-plagued seasons, 2001-02 and 2002-03. Then, he played only 52 games, total.

“There's so many new faces, it's going to take time before everybody clicks right away,” he said of the Spurs. “I know, just from being on this team, Pop is taking it kind of slow, letting us get in it.

“I know how this team operates, just from watching them all these years. They kind of start off slow. Then, at the end, you see they have one of the best records in the league. Pop doesn't try to win a championship in the first half of the season.”

Spursmania
11-29-2009, 12:46 AM
Looks like Dice had a great Thanksgiving with his family in Houston and it paid off on Friday. Way to go Dice.

ElNono
11-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I loved a shot block Dice had. I think it was int the Houston, but it could have been on the GSW game. Somebody drove around Tim, and was about to lay it in, when out of nowhere Antonio shows up to block that shit against the backboard. Really unexpected and reminded me a lot of what Horry used to do. I really missed that extra cover when people manage to get past Tim. We haven't had that in a while, and it was exciting to see.

HarlemHeat37
11-29-2009, 01:07 AM
That was a sexy block, I think it was on Radmanovic..he had a nice block vs. Houston too at the end of the game, it was following his mid-range J that was supposed to ice the game..he definitely looks good..

MI21
11-29-2009, 01:31 AM
The Spurs need to take a little more advantage of McDyess's offensive abilities on pick n rolls. A Parker/McDyess PnR is deadly and very hard to cover, particularly on the 45's because the free throw line extended jumper for Dice is money.

TJastal
11-29-2009, 02:23 AM
I'm happy Pop finally put Dice is in the starting lineup. I think its paying dividends as things just seem to be running smoother for the 1st unit. He's really helped Timmy protect the paint and rebound (as I expected). With some help on the boards, it seems to have allowed Duncan to focus more on his offense. The only thing that hasn't happened that I would have expected is for Jefferson's game to pick up a notch. I'm anticipating this happening soon.

As Dice gets more comfortable in the starting lineup and with the spurs team in general, I'm hoping he'll cut back on some of the turnovers he's had. He's had instances where he throws a bad pass or isn't expecting a pass. Example: against Houston, he had Jefferson wide open on a back door and threw it behind RJ out of bounds. Not sure what was going on with that one.

Otherwise, everything else about his game has been solid and as expected. The officials "so far" have allowed him to be quite aggressive and also alot of contact on-ball and off in and around the paint, which is a big plus for the spurs. Bonner isn't allowed 1/4 of the contact and aggression that Dice is allowed and this makes a huge difference especially in the starting lineup where being a starter=much more respect on foul calls.

His mid-range J is one of the best (if not the best) in the league IMO. With alot of teams getting 3 point shooting crazy his mid-range is a rare commodity that will pay dividends in the playoffs when the games slow down to halfcourt and defenses tighten.

lurker23
11-29-2009, 04:12 AM
The Spurs need to take a little more advantage of McDyess's offensive abilities on pick n rolls. A Parker/McDyess PnR is deadly and very hard to cover, particularly on the 45's because the free throw line extended jumper for Dice is money.

Agreed. McDyess's 15-19 foot jumper in general, whether it's from the elbow or the baseline, has just been automatic. If he can keep that up, it'll be a huge addition to the versatility of the offense.

Dice
11-29-2009, 02:40 PM
His jumper has been like that his entire career. He has excellent form, and even though it's not what it used to be, he still gets up in the air on the jumper. Some nights he won't get it off as much because the opposing teams do a good job of staying on him. I believe he gets away with the agressiveness because he plays solid and doesn't complaint about it on the other end.

He's starting to do exactly what I'm expecting him to do for this team. And he's going to get better on top of that. I'd like to tell you that he's got a post game but they never used him in the post during all his years in Detroit. He may have forgotten any post moves he had before.

Mel_13
11-29-2009, 03:18 PM
McDyess, in his first season with San Antonio, was inserted into the starting lineup Nov. 21, the first game during this win streak.

I'll do whatever it takes," he said. "It's not about stats, it's all about winning. I told coach (Gregg Popovich) I'll play anywhere he wants me to. All I want to do is win and I'll do whatever it takes. When you first come to a team you are not as aggressive because you don't want to step on anyone's toes."

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=291129024

Brazil
11-29-2009, 03:28 PM
his jumper is gold

crc21209
11-29-2009, 03:35 PM
If Dice can give us just 10 and 10 a game...it would be HUGE. :tu

peskypesky
11-29-2009, 03:46 PM

Yes! McDyess can knock those shots down all day long.

peskypesky
11-29-2009, 03:47 PM
If Dice can give us just 10 and 10 a game...it would be HUGE. :tu

did you say "just" a double-double? :lol

angelbelow
11-29-2009, 04:28 PM
Dice is really coming alive.

Flux451
11-29-2009, 05:47 PM
Dice has a money 15ft+ jumper. Nice stroke too.

Darkwaters
11-29-2009, 06:50 PM
did you say "just" a double-double? :lol

Well considering last year he averaged 9.6 and 9.8 per game over 62 games, it's not like hes asking for anything hes not capable of.

senorglory
11-29-2009, 08:23 PM
That 12-15 foot jumper of his is beautiful. Absolutely love it.

Art in motion.

I'd almost forgot what shooting looked like, it's so rare in the NBA nowadays, aside from the three ball.