PDA

View Full Version : Blair's Foul Tendencies

BillMc
11-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Hello:

I am in Ukraine and unable to watch the games here. So I can't see the actual plays. As has been noted many places, Blair, for all his fantastic talent, collects fouls at an alarming rate, and it is hurting his playing time.

For those able to see the games regularly, what is happening? Is Blair just making rookie mistakes? Is he overly aggressive? Is he reaching because he is too short? Or too slow? Do these seem like things that are correctable with experience? Or is it a limitation of being a small PF?

Many thanks for enlightening one who can only listen to the games.

All the best, Bill

exstatic
11-29-2009, 12:02 PM
1) He's a rookie, and they rarely get the benefit of the call
2) He gets a LOT of stupid reaching fouls on the perimeter.

Interrohater
11-29-2009, 01:53 PM
Yea, to me, he seems used to using his long reach to obtain steals when guarding. However, he's starting to understand that in the NBA the refs don't just let you play, they'll call you for anything they can, especially on defense.

In addition, he does his best to take charges, but as exstatic said, he hardly ever gets the benefit of the call. He's in position, not moving, but they call a blocking foul. He's just young and needs the tutelage of a solid year in the system. At this point, he has no ceiling.

silverblackfan
11-29-2009, 02:04 PM
Yea, to me, he seems used to using his long reach to obtain steals when guarding. However, he's starting to understand that in the NBA the refs don't just let you play, they'll call you for anything they can, especially on defense.

In addition, he does his best to take charges, but as exstatic said, he hardly ever gets the benefit of the call. He's in position, not moving, but they call a blocking foul. He's just young and needs the tutelage of a solid year in the system. At this point, he has no ceiling.

The last few charges I saw him take, he was inside the circle. Other than that, it would have been good position. He just has to adjust to the rules.
He does get a lot of rookie fouls, but this also will improve. Got a good upside.

Solid D
11-29-2009, 05:12 PM
On the plus side, Blair is very good at creating turnovers. His reach is outstanding. As he learns when to use his hands without looking like a foul...and as the refs get accustomed to Blair, it will really benefit the Spurs.

He's also been a bear to post up against. An immoveable object.

angelbelow
11-29-2009, 05:21 PM
I think with time and experience he'll naturally get better. but then again there are guys like jason thompson and greg oden who cant seem to get the hang of it even they play 25+ minutes.

EmptyMan
11-29-2009, 05:40 PM
He reaches around his man to try and block the inlet pass because he knows he is undersized and does not want to get posted up on.

He tries to take a lot of charges for the same reasons.

Spursmania
11-29-2009, 05:46 PM
1) He's a rookie, and they rarely get the benefit of the call
2) He gets a LOT of stupid reaching fouls on the perimeter.

That's my take as well.:tu

Spursmania
11-29-2009, 05:52 PM
On the plus side, Blair is very good at creating turnovers. His reach is outstanding. As he learns when to use his hands without looking like a foul...and as the refs get accustomed to Blair, it will really benefit the Spurs.

He's also been a bear to post up against. An immoveable object.

+1

I'm impressed with his quickness. And, fortunately, he is blessed with great hands which will come into play later in the season as he becomes more accustomed to the NBA and his teammates.

He also passes pretty well and I've enjoyed seeing the chemistry between Blair & Manu, and Blair & Mason.

I'd also like to see Blair use his body (that ass) more.:lol

exstatic
11-29-2009, 06:42 PM
He reaches around his man to try and block the inlet pass because he knows he is undersized and does not want to get posted up on.

He reaches foul line extended, or at the top of the FT circle! Ain't no one going to post him there. Pop seems like he's starting to yank him for it, so hopefully those exterior reaches will disappear. Reaching for a quick poke away or a slap down in the post seems to be more palatable to the refs, at least for veteran players.

BillMc
11-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks for all the thoughts.

Looks like Blair is doing okay tonight!!! :)