PDA

View Full Version : Manhattan Declaration

spursncowboys
11-29-2009, 02:23 PM
By Susan Davis

A New Kind of Declaration: Christian activists are holding a new conference today at the National Press Club to release the “Manhattan Declaration.” The 4,700-plus word document has over 125 original signers and affirms opposition to abortion rights and gay marriage while endorsing religious freedom and, when necessary, civil disobedience. The document is addressed to Christians, but also members of Congress and President Barack Obama. Chuck Colson, founder of the Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview, helped draft the document. Original signers include Cardinal Justin Rigali, Archbishop of Philadelphia, and Tony Perkins, president of the socially conservative Family Research Council.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/11/20/wire-watch-christian-activists-unveil-manhattan-declaration-jim-leach-speaks-zoellick-on-womens-roles-in-global-financial-crisis-solis-at-latino-lunch/

http://manhattandeclaration.org/

http://www.hulu.com/watch/110990/bill-oreillys-talking-points-tue-nov-24-2009#s-p1-so-i0

panic giraffe
11-29-2009, 03:53 PM
so at what point do the christian fascist add in a burka to their wardrobe? can't we just give all of them....alaska and be done with it? move on to being a forward thinking nation...
seriously if we don't start taxing churches in my lifetime then i'm gonna go apeshit.

ChumpDumper
11-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Side hugs for everyone!

boutons_deux
11-29-2009, 05:25 PM
"affirms opposition to abortion rights and gay marriage"

Jeez, that is really welcome and necessary. I was worried their closed, intolerant, supremacist minds might be opening.

"endorsing religious freedom"

preferably Christian religious freedom. Non-Christians? not so much

"when necessary, civil disobedience"

A HA! We get to what's REALLY on their agenda. The NRA Supports This Message! :lol

George Gervin's Afro
11-29-2009, 09:02 PM
By Susan Davis

A New Kind of Declaration: Christian activists are holding a new conference today at the National Press Club to release the “Manhattan Declaration.” The 4,700-plus word document has over 125 original signers and affirms opposition to abortion rights and gay marriage while endorsing religious freedom and, when necessary, civil disobedience. The document is addressed to Christians, but also members of Congress and President Barack Obama. Chuck Colson, founder of the Chuck Colson Center for Christian Worldview, helped draft the document. Original signers include Cardinal Justin Rigali, Archbishop of Philadelphia, and Tony Perkins, president of the socially conservative Family Research Council.
http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2009/11/20/wire-watch-christian-activists-unveil-manhattan-declaration-jim-leach-speaks-zoellick-on-womens-roles-in-global-financial-crisis-solis-at-latino-lunch/

http://manhattandeclaration.org/

http://www.hulu.com/watch/110990/bill-oreillys-talking-points-tue-nov-24-2009#s-p1-so-i0

so what mr facts..

spursncowboys
11-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Damn this is all trolls responding.

Ignignokt
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM
I have mixed feelings on this.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2009, 04:35 AM
Damn this is all trolls responding.Do you have an actual opinion on any of this?

sabar
11-30-2009, 05:41 AM
I think these Christians are missing the point of their own religion

We are Orthodox, Catholic, and evangelical Christians who have united at this hour to reaffirm fundamental truths about justice and the common good, and to call upon our fellow citizens, believers and non-believers alike, to join us in defending them. These truths are:

the sanctity of human life
the dignity of marriage as the conjugal union of husband and wife
the rights of conscience and religious liberty.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Jesus probably had a different list. Most people, let alone Christians, can't even handle forgiveness, self-sacrifice, or loving of enemies, which are actual fundamental teachings.

They (religious persons) are not taken seriously in secular society because the average church-goer cares more about restricting other people than they do about improving themselves or society. They jump all over hindering liberty, yet wouldn't dare to increase taxes on themselves to help the poor, despite Jesus emphasizing the latter and not the former.

Anyways, Jesus was strongly against judging others

And he said unto them, Ye will surely say unto me this proverb, Physician, heal thyself; whatsoever we have heard done in Capernaum, do also here in thy country.

Judge not, that ye be not judged.
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, `Let me pull out the mote out of thine eye,' and behold, a beam is in thine own eye?

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye. Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you.

Yet this is all that Christian social conservatism does.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone

There are some 1.7 billion Christians alive. 99% are posers and should hope there is no god, as they won't have a chance on any "judgment day".

This Manhattan declaration is a political power grab, like all religion in politics is.

ElNono
11-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I guess it's difficult to stay relevant these days for some of these groups...

Oh, Gee!!
11-30-2009, 09:25 AM
The 4,700-plus word document has over 125 original signers

or as foxnews is reporting: 125,000 signers!!!!

-misleading video footage to follow-

spursncowboys
11-30-2009, 10:46 AM
I think these Christians are missing the point of their own religion

I'll go out on a limb and say that Jesus probably had a different list. Most people, let alone Christians, can't even handle forgiveness, self-sacrifice, or loving of enemies, which are actual fundamental teachings. I don't think Christians are any different from anybody else. Following in the way of Jesus is not easy. Christians is an overused word now a days and has lost most of it's meaning. Some Christians to get away from that will instead just describe themselves and call themselves followers of christ. I don't understand. Do you mean that Christians, as a group or altogether, do not forgive, self sacrifice, or love enemies? Do you mean they don't do this as much as others? I know tithing takes discipline and sacrifice. I also know that christianity gives more than any others. More people throughout history were educated by christians. I think far more good is done by christians. I also think far more rights are made, kept and protected by christian beliefs that not.

They (religious persons) are not taken seriously in secular society because the average church-goer cares more about restricting other people than they do about improving themselves or society. They jump all over hindering liberty, yet wouldn't dare to increase taxes on themselves to help the poor, despite Jesus emphasizing the latter and not the former.
I believe the secularist society is the one pushing their values on everyone. This is a reaction to laws requiring all doctors to participate in abortions. Priests to have to marry homosexual couples.

Anyways, Jesus was strongly against judging others

Yet this is all that Christian social conservatism does.
I take Mathew 7:1-5 (http://www.gnpcb.org/esv/search/?q=mathew+7) as Jesus was saying judge others how you judge yourself. The characterization that Christians are all like the adults from Footloose is ridiculous.

There are some 1.7 billion Christians alive. 99% are posers and should hope there is no god, as they won't have a chance on any "judgment day".

This Manhattan declaration is a political power grab, like all religion in politics is. I'm not going to assume this is or isn't about politics. Maybe it is. I think this is good for Christians to go against laws they believe to be wrong.

ElNono
11-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I'm not going to assume this is or isn't about politics. Maybe it is. I think this is good for Christians to go against laws they believe to be wrong.

I don't think this document speaks for Christians at all, and that's part of the problem with these 'declarations'. And if you don't think this is a political document, then what do you think it is?

rjv
11-30-2009, 11:10 AM
I don't think this document speaks for Christians at all, and that's part of the problem with these 'declarations'. And if you don't think this is a political document, then what do you think it is?

it most definitely does not speak for all christians.

spursncowboys
11-30-2009, 11:19 AM

That's a great point. I shouldn't have grouped christians into one box. Alot of Christians interpret "Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar's, and give unto God that which is God's" as not just money. I think it is political, but political like pro-life is political. Based on religious beliefs.

boutons_deux
11-30-2009, 11:43 AM
politicized, radical, supremacist, intolerant Christianity attracts the same ignorant loser assholes as politicized, radical, supremacist, intolerant Muslim-ism, or any "world view".

They all think that in following their "God's" laws, they don't have to follow "Caesar's" laws, and can commit any crime because "God told them to", eg, dubya claiming god (god of oil business?) wanted him to invade Iraq.

eg, The Family's members have been agitating in Uganda for the law that executes any gays who have AIDs.

Winehole23
11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
What, no Romney?

spursncowboys
11-30-2009, 11:54 AM
What, no Romney?

I don't think he's a Christian.

Winehole23
11-30-2009, 12:10 PM
I don't think he's a Christian.For this reason alone, Romney is dog meat in 2012.

spursncowboys
11-30-2009, 12:32 PM
For this reason alone, Romney is dog meat in 2012.

I don't agree. Most mormons are conservatives. If it has to do with them not voting for a non-Christian, social conservatives have small electoral power, especially before Super Tues. I also don't think social conservatives will write off him because of him being a mormon. Mormons and social conservatives have the same core belief. I would vote for him.

ChumpDumper
11-30-2009, 12:35 PM
I don't think he's a Christian.Do you guys tell Mormons they aren't Christian's to their faces?

Wild Cobra
11-30-2009, 12:41 PM
I think these Christians are missing the point of their own religion...

Quick to judge on something that appears obvious you didn't read:

Manhattan Declaration: A Call of Christian Conscience (http://manhattandeclaration.org/images/content/ManhattanDeclaration.pdf)