PDA

View Full Version : David Robinson Night

arodz
11-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I love David for everything he's done for this city and this team, but this entire night was one big promotion for the Carver Academy. Most of David's speech had nothing to do with this basketball career. I know David's heart is in the right place, but that's not what this ceremony was supposed to be about.

ducks
11-29-2009, 10:15 PM
you do not know david do you

DPG21920
11-29-2009, 10:16 PM
you do not know david do you

Do you? What is his number? I would like to call him and thank him for everything.

Spursmania
11-29-2009, 10:17 PM
Arodz, are you from SA?

ducks
11-29-2009, 10:17 PM
he told me not to post it here
he told me not to tell anyone his number

Interrohater
11-29-2009, 10:18 PM
Dude, I know your hearts in the right place...... oh nm.

If you want to know more about his career, youtube it. Did you really expect to see anything new about his basketball days? His is a noble cause, basketball pales in comparison to what he's doing now and the lives that he's affecting.

LakerHater
11-29-2009, 10:26 PM
I love David for everything he's done for this city and this team, but this entire night was one big promotion for the Carver Academy. Most of David's speech had nothing to do with this basketball career. I know David's heart is in the right place, but that's not what this ceremony was supposed to be about.
Thats exactly what my wife & I said!!!!

I bet, when Tim & Pop were talkin while David gave his speech, they were sayin the same thing!:lmao

Slydragon
11-29-2009, 10:28 PM

Which is why I thought that Holt or Tim were going to bring out a huge check and present it to him, I'm kind of suprised it didn't happen.

If you want that shit then go watch the Jordan night for the Bulls, I'm sure he gonna walk all over everyone again.

D Rob isn't about himself, He does not want to die and say I was the best basketball player in the world, he would rather die knowing that a past or current US president was a student of his academy.

Kori Ellis
11-29-2009, 10:28 PM
Actually that was what the ceremony was supposed to be about. It was about honoring David by giving him an opportunity to ask for funds for the cause.

arodz
11-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I knew I'd get this reaction. I've live my entire life in SA and have been a die hard Spurs fan since 1990. So for those who think I'm a newbee or a fair weather fan, screw you. I'm not dogging David for promoting the Carver Acadmey, but watching the telecast was like watching a telethon. Which during the game was enough, but when David gave his speech, all he talked about was Carver. The only point I was trying to make was, tonight was about his NBA career and his HOF indcution.

Kori Ellis
11-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I knew I'd get this reaction. I've live my entire life in SA and have been a die hard Spurs fan since 1990. So for those who think I'm a newbee or a fair weather fan, screw you. I'm not dogging David for promoting the Carver Acadmey, but watching the telecast was like watching a telethon. Which during the game was enough, but when David gave his speech, all he talked about was Carver. The only point I was trying to make was, tonight was about his NBA career and his HOF indcution.

That's what you thought the night was going to be about... but it was set up as an opportunity to raise money for the Carver Academy.

arodz
11-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Actually that was what the ceremony was supposed to be about. It was about honoring David by giving him an opportunity to ask for funds for the cause.

Really? Then maybe we should've raised a Carver Academy banner instead of Dave's jersey.

benefactor
11-29-2009, 10:34 PM
He is David Robinson. David...Robinson. He can stand up there and sing Mary Had a Little Lamb if he wants to. He's earned it.

benefactor
11-29-2009, 10:35 PM
Really? Then maybe we should've raised a Carver Academy banner instead of Dave's jersey.
Maybe if you cry about it enough D-Rob will call you and give you your own little personal speech.

Spursmania
11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
David Robinson has done so much for this city. DRob has earned the right to do what he wants to do and say what he wants to say at his own ceremony. It was Drob's ceremony not yours...:lol

tp2021
11-29-2009, 10:36 PM
He is David Robinson. David...Robinson. He can stand up there and sing Mary Had a Little Lamb if he wants to. He's earned it.

It bears repeating.

arodz
11-29-2009, 10:38 PM

True. And that's what the remote is for.

Kori Ellis
11-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Spurs: We are going to have a ceremony to add Hall of Fame on the bottom of your jersey.

David: Okay, but I don't want another ceremony about me. Let's use it as a fundraising night for the Carver Academy.

Spurs: Sure, great idea.

arodz: I'M OUTRAGED.

LakerHater
11-29-2009, 10:41 PM
:lol

benefactor
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
Gotta love them spoiled Spurs fans. "But...but...David didn't talk about what I wanted him to talk about!!!"

EmptyMan
11-29-2009, 10:42 PM
It kinda sucked but it's David Robinson.

We got to see David Robinson and it's for a good cause. It's all good.

The worst part was Ric Riner telling me it was just about to start for 30 freaking minutes. :bang

EricB
11-29-2009, 10:44 PM
Only a spur fan like that could be outraged over David Robinson trying to help underprivledged youth.

Btw David robinson is not defined by basketball alone. If u can't handle that turn in your gear..

arodz
11-29-2009, 10:45 PM
Spurs: We are going to have a ceremony to add Hall of Fame on the bottom of your jersey.

David: Okay, but I don't want another ceremony about me. Let's use it as a fundraising night for the Carver Academy.

Spurs: Sure, great idea.

arodz: I'M OUTRAGED.

Of couse, someone expresses an opinion that doesn't agee with you, so I'm the asshole.

BTW: You're breakdown sounds about right (except me being outraged :lol). I know David never like talking about himself. Which is fine, but as a fan in the stands, I wanna hear him talk about his career and what it meant to him. Cause it almost seems like he doesn't give a rat's ass about his NBA career.

EmptyMan
11-29-2009, 10:47 PM
OP is right though. It was advertised as a David Robinson memorial ceremony not a Carver Academy telethon. It was pretty anti-climatic.

But it's David Robinson. :toast

Kori Ellis
Of couse, someone expresses an opinion that doesn't agee with you, so I'm the asshole.

BTW: You're breakdown sounds about right (except me being outraged :lol). I know David never like talking about himself. Which is fine, but as a fan in the stands, I wanna hear him talk about his career and what it meant to him. Cause it almost seems like he doesn't give a rat's ass about his NBA career.

:lol I didn't say you were an asshole. I just think it's funny that people are upset over something that was an obvious charity benefit. I guess if you really expected it to be a ceremony where David went on and on about his basketball career, then you'd be disappointed. I didn't expect that... I knew it was going to primarily be about Carver.

weebo
Some people will bitch about anything. If David had not mentioned Carver and only talked about himself, someone out there would have called him out for being a selfish prick. This man is not about self promotion, and I doubt he would have wanted to have another ceremony be about himself or basketball.

dmac
11-29-2009, 10:53 PM
Do you? What is his number? I would like to call him and thank him for everything.

50, duh!

arodz
11-29-2009, 10:54 PM
BTW: For all those people who are saying I'm bitching about this: I was in the arena the night they originally retired David's jesery. And I was honored to be there for it. I remember getting emotional because I had never known the Spurs without David.

GoSpurs21
11-29-2009, 10:55 PM

Spoken by someone who today would fail the intelligence acceptance requirements of the Carvey Academy. Grow up, it's David Robinson's night, he can talk about what ever he wants. If you don't think the future of SA is dependent on educating the youngsters to be leaders then YOUR priorities are all messed up.

Go Spurs...
We Love You David

EricB
11-29-2009, 10:58 PM
BTW: For all those people who are saying I'm bitching about this: I was in the arena the night they originally retired David's jesery. And I was honored to be there for it. I remember getting emotional because I had never known the Spurs without David.

And that night he talked about nothing but his basketball career.

This was the third ceremony that I know of honoring david.

He's probobly had enough and wanted to take advantage of it and help out underprivledgd youth.

EmptyMan
11-29-2009, 10:59 PM
What was the point of Gervin, TD, Pop, and Holt even being on the court?

Kori Ellis
11-29-2009, 11:01 PM

Respect.

EricB
11-29-2009, 11:02 PM

All hall of famers except holt and they love him and wanted to there for him....

EmptyMan
11-29-2009, 11:04 PM
All hall of famers except holt and they love him and wanted to there for him....
ah

4001 STEREO SPUR
11-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Man, David Robinson's awesome.

He's definitely not your ordinary NBA superstar. He brought so much to our team
and it still a big part of our city.

I didn't have a problem with the ceremony.

We're a lucky town!

SenorSpur
11-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Did you expect David to stand up there and take sole credit for all his basketball achievements? Or perhaps you expected him to use this night to settle old scores with past opponents by declaring "if I see you, I'm coming after you."

C'mon dude. If you know anything about David, you should know that he's probably quite embarrassed with all the atteniton focused on him. You should also know that David is not your everyday, run-of-the-mill, selfish athlete. In fact, he's the polar opposite. A humble man with a huge heart and bigger vision. This night was never intended to be about him alone.

Frenzy
11-29-2009, 11:50 PM
he did ramble about the school a bit. We were like "should we walk and beat the traffic"? but we stuck it out.... this town loves david. Couldn't ask for a classier guy.

spurs2112
11-29-2009, 11:56 PM
Before I say what I got to say, I'm a huge D Rob/Spurs fan since I can remember. I think what he did tonight was great in trying to raise money for his school which in turn benefits the youth of our city. One thing I noticed though, or is it just me, he really doesn't mention Duncan much in his speeches. I know it's not "Duncan Night" and he doesn't need to talk about him but it just seems he mentions everyone else & not him. Like tonight he names Manu (personal favorite), Blair, Pop, old coaches in his thanks but not Duncan (by name at least). I know he pointed to him and said he'll be talking when Duncan is in the hall of fame but it just seems thrown in there. If I recall when his jersey was retired he did the say thing. Named a bunch of players and did the "oh did i forget someone" bit. Even the crowd was like "and Duncan". I know D Rob success is not all because of Duncan, but this team didn't really become a contender until he joined the team. I don't know maybe its just me like I said. This is not a knock on D Rob, I love the guy, just was wondering if anyone else kind of noticed that.

weebo
11-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Before I say what I got to say, I'm a huge D Rob/Spurs fan since I can remember. I think what he did tonight was great in trying to raise money for his school which in turn benefits the youth of our city. One thing I noticed though, or is it just me, he really doesn't mention Duncan much in his speeches. I know it's not "Duncan Night" and he doesn't need to talk about him but it just seems he mentions everyone else & not him. Like tonight he names Manu (personal favorite), Blair, Pop, old coaches in his thanks but not Duncan (by name at least). I know he pointed to him and said he'll be talking when Duncan is in the hall of fame but it just seems thrown in there. If I recall when his jersey was retired he did the say thing. Named a bunch of players and did the "oh did i forget someone" bit. Even the crowd was like "and Duncan". I know D Rob success is not all because of Duncan, but this team didn't really become a contender until he joined the team. I don't know maybe its just me like I said. This is not a knock on D Rob, I love the guy, just was wondering if anyone else kind of noticed that.

its just you

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-30-2009, 12:07 AM
Did you expect David to stand up there and take sole credit for all his basketball achievements? Or perhaps you expected him to use this night to settle old scores with past opponents by declaring "if I see you, I'm coming after you."

C'mon dude. If you know anything about David, you should know that he's probably quite embarrassed with all the atteniton focused on him. You should also know that David is not your everyday, run-of-the-mill, selfish athlete. In fact, he's the polar opposite. A humble man with a huge heart and bigger vision. This night was never intended to be about him alone.

:tu

BillMc
11-30-2009, 12:09 AM

I think D-Rob mentions Duncan appropriately. Wasn't it at his HOF induction that he said something to the effect that he prayed to have Duncan on his team? And then Spurs won the lottery! And in that same speech he said he was blessed to play with the best power forward of all time? It was why Stockton felt the need to say Malone was the best PF of all time.

That's just one example, of course. I think they get along fine. I have no idea if they are friends off the court, but I've certainly never felt that Robinson would snub Duncan. (Not deliberately at least.)

exstatic
11-30-2009, 12:13 AM
BECAUSE David has other interests and passions (I'd rank it: God, family, Carver, NBA career) he's likely to have a happy, fulfilling life.

If you want to see someone quite willing to talk about their NBA career, ad nauseum, I give you one Michael Jordan, a poor sonovabitch who will be miserable until the day he dies because he's defined by being something he can never be again: an NBA player.

duncan228
11-30-2009, 12:15 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/2009-2010/11-29-099.jpg

duncan228
11-30-2009, 12:20 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/2009-2010/11-29-0910.jpg

LakerHater
11-30-2009, 12:26 AM
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x282/duncan228/2009-2010/11-29-0910.jpg
Looks like Ice has been hanging out at his Sports Bar to much!

phyzik
11-30-2009, 12:32 AM
My eye's moisted up a bit.

If I ever win the lotto, half is going to the Carver Academy, I've always promised myself that whenever I buy a lotto ticket.

I win 2, 10, 20 or even 30 mil, half of that isnt going to affect me.

DPG21920
11-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Nice to see Tim dressed up for the special occasion.

SouthTexasRancher
11-30-2009, 12:47 AM

What planet are you from? Do you know how to read? And btw, what the hell have you done for this city? It was David's Night and for all he has done for San Antonio he could damn well do anything he pleased. Get a life dude. :ihit

SpursPreacher
11-30-2009, 12:48 AM
Well david did say it was not about the past tonight but future which I thought was very cool.But that has always been robinson always thinking about others before himself.

newacc
11-30-2009, 12:49 AM
I thought it was amazingly unselfish of David to devote so much time to helping the CA. It's awesome that someone is so obsessive about helping others.

Still, I thought the speech was misplaced and awkward. It was advertised as a tribute night to Robinson and it wasn't until Elliott mentioned (during telecast) that the only reason David agreed to it was to promote the CA that I knew it was more about fundraising.

I think they should have headlined it as David Robinson/CA night or something a little more accurate. Almost everyone would have still tuned in just to hear from David.

SouthTexasRancher
11-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Thats exactly what my wife & I said!!!!

I bet, when Tim & Pop were talkin while David gave his speech, they were sayin the same thing!:lmao

So!!! Who the hell cares what you and your wife said.

Start a school for underprivileged kids and then we'll listen!

Sheeeesh!

SpursFanFirst
11-30-2009, 01:05 AM

He said he was tired of people talking about him and he wanted them to focus on something bigger and more important.

That seems to be everything David Robinson is.

SouthTexasRancher
11-30-2009, 01:07 AM
He said he was tired of people talking about him and he wanted them to focus on something bigger and more important.

That seems to be everything David Robinson is.

:tu

duncan228
11-30-2009, 01:12 AM

:lol

SpursFanFirst
11-30-2009, 01:15 AM

:lol But in all fairness, he DID just finish playing. At least he took the time to shower and change into something other than his uniform.

Capt Bringdown
11-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Nothing but love for Dave and his Carver project. If more people had his kind of commitment to education and community what a better world this would be.

I wish I could have been there to hear him talk about it.

"How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant of the weak and the strong, because some day in life, you will have been all these." -Geo. W. Carver

Chomag
11-30-2009, 01:24 AM
We <3 you 5 - 0!!! You are not just what the Spurs are about. You are what the entire game is about!

LakerHater
11-30-2009, 01:29 AM
So!!! Who the hell cares what you and your wife said.

Start a school for underprivileged kids and then we'll listen!

Sheeeesh!
Isnt that what public school system is for!

Solid D
11-30-2009, 01:48 AM
Great night, indeed! Here's to you Mr. Robinson.

...and bless the Silver Dancers' hearts tonight. Whoever ordered their outfits for the special David Robinson Night meant to order "50" printed on their tops but they ended up saying "SO". Somebody gets a big "FAIL" for that letter "S" instead of a number "5". :bang

ElNono
11-30-2009, 01:52 AM
What I wanna know is if Dave is gonna suit up for Thursday game against Boston... Here's to you five-oh :toast

SenorSpur
11-30-2009, 01:54 AM
Remember this is a HOF player that willingly "stepped aside" to usher in an unproven, yet very talented, all-everything rookie back in 1997. How many players as accomplished and as decorated as David would've so selflessly done that?

All you need to do is look at the spectacle that Iverson is causing as he moves from team to team, in his constant quest to continue "being the man", at his advanced age and declining skills. Look at that situation and you'll understand WHY David is so special.

sabar
11-30-2009, 06:05 AM
What he did was the very essence of who David Robinson is and what he represents. There are many many athletes that would have gone on and on about themselves. He pushed aside all the accolades to help a bunch of kids he barely knows. That is some serious stuff. This isn't some business. Drob gets no money from this. He didn't promote his self-image to rake in some cash. He did all this for children, for total strangers.

This man is a role-model and a class act. We are very lucky.

alamo50
11-30-2009, 06:17 AM
NBA was just a hughe stepping stone on the way to fulfilling his true legacy.

If you love David, how can you be dissapointed at being there when he is in your suroundings no mather what he is saying?

L.I.T
11-30-2009, 07:06 AM
It's patently obvious that Mr. Robinson's priorities are completely out of whack.

Shame on him. We want more Jordan HOF-style speeches!

/slow claps in appreciation of David Robinson

JP le Requin
11-30-2009, 08:51 AM
have you got videos???i saw nothing from france..

spursdotcom
11-30-2009, 09:11 AM
have you got videos???i saw nothing from france..

http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/091129_robinson_tribute.html

:toast

urunobili
11-30-2009, 09:27 AM
I cried like a baby watching the video... can't wait for our annual ST Carver academy fund raiser to begin :toast

SpurCharger
11-30-2009, 10:23 AM
David Robinson Is the Man, he can Talk about anything he wants, whenever he wants, wherever he wants..... There Is a remote, change the channel or Press the Mute Button.

JP le Requin
11-30-2009, 12:13 PM
merci!

duncan228
11-30-2009, 01:58 PM
One thing I noticed though, or is it just me, he really doesn't mention Duncan much in his speeches. I know it's not "Duncan Night" and he doesn't need to talk about him but it just seems he mentions everyone else & not him. Like tonight he names Manu (personal favorite), Blair, Pop, old coaches in his thanks but not Duncan (by name at least). I know he pointed to him and said he'll be talking when Duncan is in the hall of fame but it just seems thrown in there. If I recall when his jersey was retired he did the say thing. Named a bunch of players and did the "oh did i forget someone" bit. Even the crowd was like "and Duncan". I know D Rob success is not all because of Duncan, but this team didn't really become a contender until he joined the team.

Robinson said it all about Duncan in his Hall of Fame Induction speech. I don't see any need to make the night more about Duncan than anyone else Robinson chose to mention. (And I bet Duncan was more than fine with it. He doesn't want the spotlight.)

...Timmy (Duncan) you're my man. Have any of you guys ever got down on your knees and prayed really hard for something? That was my answer to prayer right there (pointing at Duncan).

angel_luv
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I did not realize the event was to benefit the Carver Academy. I thought it was for fans to specifically celebrate David Robinson's induction to the Hall of Fame with him.
That is how I ( wrongly- apparently :lol) understood it to be promoted.

As it turns out, I missed the event entirely because I was at home sick with the flu.

Spurs Brazil
11-30-2009, 03:43 PM
I loved the tribute night to Robinson.

He talked about the owners, coaches and teammates. He said good things about LB, Lucas and only mentioned B.Hill name. I don't think the players liked him;

And in the end he took his time to talk about Carver Academy, like he said, his future. it was great to see

And one more funny thing: Pop face when Sean said he'll be in HOF

DisAsTerBot
11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
I did not realize the event was to benefit the Carver Academy.

exactly. Everyone freaks if you are caught off gaurd by the telethon instead of the "robinson hall of fame tribute". Sure it's a spectacular cause, but is was awkward at times when you were expecting a "robinson hall of fame tribute"

spurs2112
11-30-2009, 09:21 PM
Robinson said it all about Duncan in his Hall of Fame Induction speech. I don't see any need to make the night more about Duncan than anyone else Robinson chose to mention. (And I bet Duncan was more than fine with it. He doesn't want the spotlight.)
...Timmy (Duncan) you're my man. Have any of you guys ever got down on your knees and prayed really hard for something? That was my answer to prayer right there (pointing at Duncan).

I actually didn't see his HOF (I know, I know I just never got around to it :depressed) so I was just going by the ones I saw. That quote about his prayer being answered is powerful. I'm going see his speech now, thanks for the info.

duncan228
11-30-2009, 09:43 PM
I actually didn't see his HOF (I know, I know I just never got around to it :depressed) so I was just going by the ones I saw. That quote about his prayer being answered is powerful. I'm going see his speech now, thanks for the info.

The speech is wonderful. His words to Duncan start about the 4:07 mark.

yh96tCHVjC4

Behrooz24
11-30-2009, 09:55 PM
I did not realize the event was to benefit the Carver Academy. I thought it was for fans to specifically celebrate David Robinson's induction to the Hall of Fame with him.
That is how I ( wrongly- apparently :lol) understood it to be promoted.

As it turns out, I missed the event entirely because I was at home sick with the flu.

Flu, shmu. A real fan wouldn't have missed it.

j/k don't kill me :toast

duncan228
12-01-2009, 09:22 PM
Honoring The Admiral in San Antonio (http://militarytimes.com/blogs/afteraction/2009/12/01/honoring-the-admiral-in-san-antonio/)
by Phil Creed
After Action: Your Military Sports Report

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/afteraction/files/2009/12/120109_david_robinson_500-300x236.jpg
David Robinson speaks to the crowd on Monday after the Spurs' win over the 76ers. San Antonio was honoring Robinson for his recent induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. Pictured from left are Robinson, former Spur Sean Elliott, former Spur George Gervin, Spurs forward Tim Duncan and Spurs coach Gregg Popovich.

The San Antonio Spurs paid tribute to David Robinson on Monday night, honoring one of the best centers in NBA history for his entry in the basketball hall of fame. Robinson, a former Navy officer who starred at the U.S. Naval Academy from 1984-1987, was drafted #1 overall by San Antonio. After he served two years on active duty, Robinson joined the Spurs for the 1989-90 season. He ended up playing his entire career in San Antonio, leading the organization to its first two championships.

According the San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/78112562.html), some 17,000 fans stayed after the game Monday to honor Robinson, which gives you an idea of the impact The Admiral (a much better nickname than “The Lieutenant j.g” — Robinson’s rank in the Navy) had on the team and its fans.

“I consider this Hall of Fame celebration as much about this city and about this team as it was about me,” Robinson said in the Express-News. “So it’s nice to be able to do it here, with the fans, and let them all enjoy.”

Robinson’s awesomness on the court earned him a slew of honors during his career, including:

•Named one of NBA 50 Greatest Players (http://www.nba.com/history/players/50greatest.html)
•4-time All-NBA First Team
•NBA MVP in 1995
•Member of 1992 U.S. Olympic “Dream Team,” and was also on 1988 and 1996 teams
•NBA Rookie of the Year in 1990 (after serving two years in Navy)
•2-time first team All-American while at USNA

Check out these highlights from Robinson’s phenomenal Navy career, where he led the Midshipmen to three straight NCAA tournaments.

TQFzIxKoNeY