PDA

View Full Version : Harvey: No bologna: a still relevant duo

duncan228
11-30-2009, 12:52 AM
No bologna: a still relevant duo (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/No_bologna_a_still_relevant_duo.html)
Buck Harvey

Michael Finley doesn't read Matt Bonner's sandwich blog. He figures his locker is close enough to Bonner's.

“I can go straight to the source,” Finley said.

He did Sunday evening. Then, asked if he had gotten any recent sandwich tips, Finley and Bonner joked about a particular turkey recommendation.

This isn't all they share. They've gone from starters to the bench, and Sunday brought them together again.

Then, they mattered.

Finley and Bonner are opposites in wardrobe, in careers and in nearly everything else. But they've moved together recently, and this was true this season when they changed lockers and literally got closer. Finley came from across the room, while Bonner moved down from where he used to dress near Tim Duncan.

Bonner took Brent Barry's old space, which fits. Bonner replaced Barry as the Spur with the best sense of humor.

Bonner flexes his goofy wit on spurs.com. There, he's “The Sandwich Hunter,” with the following tagline: “The Quest for the Hoagie Grill.”

That's still not good enough for him. “I'm looking for formal status in the sandwich community,” Bonner said.

He says he can expand into burritos and burgers, but, to quote him, “sandwiches are my bread and butter.” Bonner recommends various vendors on his blog while also addressing philosophical issues.

Such as: Why are sandwiches so underrepresented in Sicily?

It's a running joke, and maybe they need some levity. Last season, Finley and Bonner started and, when things went wrong, they symbolized a franchise in need of some speed.

This season, Bonner went to the bench the night before Finley did, and neither one has gotten back. It makes sense. Given the personnel, the Spurs are better served with a starting group that emphasizes defense.

Besides, if Bonner is a 6-foot-10 Steve Kerr, is that such a bad thing?

Bonner sees the positives in not starting. He likes the game to settle down as he watches how the other team is defending.

Finley says something similar but is more telling of someone who starred for a decade. “You have to believe in the rotation,” he said. “You can't be bitter. You use it to your advantage.”

So they've adjusted in their own ways, and mostly in the background. The bigger news has been around them — from Manu Ginobili limping to DeJuan Blair showing potential to Duncan being himself.

Still, as Gregg Popovich said Sunday, “Three-pointers seem to be an important part of what every team does.”

It might be the most vital number on a stat sheet.

The 76ers' coach, Eddie Jordan, said he wanted his team to contest the shot. Finley didn't see that. “They were daring us to shoot,” he said.

Finley took the dare. He clumped together three 3-pointers early in the second quarter, and the Spurs went from being down two to being up seven.

“Players feed off that,” said Bonner.

So do coaches. Popovich inserted Bonner into the lineup in the final seconds of the first half, and Bonner threw in a 23-footer.

He and Finley were 7 of 11 from 3-point distance. These are shooting numbers that determine games, and here's another: Bonner is shooting just under 50 percent from 3-point range for the season.

“We tried to stay out on Bonner,” said Jordan, “and he got loose on us.”

It made sense, really. The Sandwich Hunter should do well against Philadelphia — where the term “hoagie” originated.

Bonner might blog about that. Or he could tell us that the Spurs are deeper now, with better athletes, but there will be a lot of nights when long-range shooting will mean as much as anything.

No matter how you slice it.

SpursPreacher
11-30-2009, 12:57 AM
Wow now finley and bonner haters can combine against them,the duo sandwich that spurs fans love to hate. lol.

duhoh
11-30-2009, 01:09 AM
nice read.

6 10 kerr? interesting comparison

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2009, 01:26 AM
LOL a Finley and Bonner write-up..this will end well..

alchemist
11-30-2009, 03:51 AM
:lol so ironic considering 99% of Spurstalk wanted them gone.

ElNono
11-30-2009, 07:23 AM

Why past tense? :lol

DBMethos
11-30-2009, 07:44 AM

Not necessarily gone, but definitely not in the starting lineup. They've been removed from the starting lineup, and we've prospered. Coincidence? :nope

alchemist
11-30-2009, 08:08 AM
Why past tense? :lol
:lol :toast

benefactor
11-30-2009, 09:21 AM
LOL a Finley and Bonner write-up..this will end well..
Cue the "they suck when it matters" crowd.

igruex
11-30-2009, 12:17 PM
Awful read, not only for its lack of basketball content but its stupid comparisions.

lennyalderette
11-30-2009, 01:22 PM
i just really wanted them on the bench! and im lovin them there. well finley should be benched further back but lately w. mason out hes doing ok

Death In June
11-30-2009, 01:38 PM
How does Buck Harvey get work? He can't write a coherent sentence, much less an entire article.

NFGIII
11-30-2009, 01:48 PM
I like where they are now. They should prosper against the league's second units better than starters. When Mason gets back Finley's minutes should decline somewhat. Maybe not as drastically as some would hope but we all know how Pop feels about Finley. He will give him more chances than many think he deserves at Hairston's expense. So long as he hustles out there and puts effort into playing D then he is OK by me.

Anyway as of right now I don't think Hairston is going to get that many chances to prove himself. The only way I see him on the court other than garbage time or an occasional appearance is if Finley got injured. So if Hairston wants more minutes he had better have a breakout game or two when given the opportunity.

austN Spur
11-30-2009, 01:52 PM
If these two guys can contribute off the bench, along with the other pieces every spur fan has confidence in our spurs to get to the Finals and win it all this season.

well that and if we play defense well late and grab def. boards

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2009, 05:57 PM
I like where they are now. They should prosper against the league's second units better than starters. When Mason gets back Finley's minutes should decline somewhat. Maybe not as drastically as some would hope but we all know how Pop feels about Finley. He will give him more chances than many think he deserves at Hairston's expense. So long as he hustles out there and puts effort into playing D then he is OK by me.

Anyway as of right now I don't think Hairston is going to get that many chances to prove himself. The only way I see him on the court other than garbage time or an occasional appearance is if Finley got injured. So if Hairston wants more minutes he had better have a breakout game or two when given the opportunity.

He's not really going to get the chance..every time he does something positive and has a good stretch, Pop subs him out..for example, he scored his only shot last night in the 2nd quarter, and he didn't play the rest of the game..

He sparked us in 2 games before that, but didn't get any minutes after those small stretches..

Finley is here to stay in the rotation, nothing is going to change IMO..

whottt
11-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Ironic that this article was about these two...I would say both of these guys would be more effective players if they took on the others personality a little bit more.

Finley would be better if he lightened up. Finley looks grim even when the Spurs win a championship.

Bonner would be better if he got meaner. C'mon Matt where is the guy that gave KG that foul?

Watch how Ferry played when he finally hecame a servicable NBA player and compensated for a lack of defensive talent...he learned how to piss people off

I'm tellin' you Mr. Bonner, talented easy going guys are always the ones that come up short in the role playing roles...it takes them getting dumped 4 or 5 times before they finally get that instinct to kill. Yes you are talented, yes you are likeable...but you are not going to make significant contributions to a title until you get meaner. Robert Horry was Robert Horry because he was so mean and ruthless. That is what it takes. It's your job, if you aren't doing it, you aren't doing your job. Get mean now without it taking being waived and traded umpteen more times to get it. We will all be better off for it.

#2!
11-30-2009, 07:19 PM
Still, as Gregg Popovich said Sunday, “Three-pointers seem to be an important part of what every team does.”
Unfortunately the Lakers are the best team in the league at defending the 3, and were near the top last season too. The scary part about that stat is that last year they also were one of the teams that allowed the most 3pt attempts, meaning they encourage teams to take the three while still managing to get back and defend it.

Any team looking to beat them will have to put their head down and attack the rim with some success before dishing to the outside. Otherwise, you are playing their game.

#2!
11-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Ironic that this article was about these two...I would say both of these guys would be more effective players if they took on the others personality a little bit more.

Finley would be better if he lightened up. Finley looks grim even when the Spurs win a championship.

Bonner would be better if he got meaner. C'mon Matt where is the guy that gave KG that foul?

Watch how Ferry played when he finally hecame a servicable NBA player and compensated for a lack of defensive talent...he learned how to piss people off

I'm tellin' you Mr. Bonner, talented easy going guys are always the ones that come up short in the role playing roles...it takes them getting dumped 4 or 5 times before they finally get that instinct to kill. Yes you are talented, yes you are likeable...but you are not going to make significant contributions to a title until you get meaner. Robert Horry was Robert Horry because he was so mean and ruthless. That is what it takes. It's your job, if you aren't doing it, you aren't doing your job. Get mean now without it taking being waived and traded umpteen more times to get it. We will all be better off for it.

Interesting. I've always thought aggression was what he needed, but never all out meanness. I think you might be right though, but maybe the "ruthlessness" you described Horry as having is what Bonner could reasonably develop within the season.

As a matter of fact, I can even think of a couple times this season when he's shown that he might be capable (not of Horry's clutchness of course though). One is that in previous seasons if he started a game 0-3 on 3pt shots he would shut things down on offense for the remainder of the game. However, there have been a couple of games this season where he's had comparable starts, but kept shooting and sank 2 or 3 consecutive attempts.

Also, he's had a dunk this season, as well as that foul on Dirk that had some mavs all pissy. So even though it would take a couple of seasons for the league to recognize it anyways maybe the process has already begun.

whottt
11-30-2009, 08:06 PM
http://www.shoptradition.com/store/blog/uploaded_images/Robert+Horry%5B1%5D-1-785848.jpg

You're joking right? You aren't that clueless on Robert Horry are you? I mean he played for your team.

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding.

From the same post:

Robert Horry was Robert Horry because he was so mean and ruthless

whottt
11-30-2009, 08:10 PM
If you ever find yourself confusing Robert Horry and Matt Bonner, and their demeanor or anything of the sort, I suggest you start following another sport.

The Truth #6
11-30-2009, 08:11 PM

There were a couple times this year when Bonner came in full of aggression, like Pop told him he was taking away his sandwich blog if he didn't get nasty. It was like a bull out of the pen. Bonner came off the bench and got right into Dirk's space got an immediate foul and totally pissed him off. I agree that Bonner could be the guy that pisses people off, because it wouldn't take much. Most players seem to consider Bonner as beneath them, so if Bonner decided to invade their space to provoke them...it could probably work, especially if he does it with a smile on his face.

EmptyMan
11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
I'm tellin' you Mr. Bonner, talented easy going guys are always the ones that come up short in the role playing roles...it takes them getting dumped 4 or 5 times before they finally get that instinct to kill. Yes you are talented, yes you are likeable...but you are not going to make significant contributions to a title until you get meaner. Robert Horry was Robert Horry because he was so mean and ruthless. That is what it takes. It's your job, if you aren't doing it, you aren't doing your job. Get mean now without it taking being waived and traded umpteen more times to get it. We will all be better off for it.Amen.

It can't be faked though. Matthew Jebediah Bonner does not have it in him.