PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Celebration makes Robinson feel like suiting up

duncan228
11-30-2009, 12:53 AM
Celebration makes Robinson feel like suiting up (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/Celebration_makes_Robinson_feel_like_suiting_up.ht ml)
Mike Monroe

David Robinson watched video highlights of his career on the giant TV screen above center court and listened as former teammate Sean Elliott described the impact he had on the lives of teammates and in the San Antonio community.

Robinson couldn't contain himself when he rose to speak to the 17,000-plus fans who had remained in their seats Sunday night for a special ceremony celebrating his induction into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame.

“You make me feel like I want to play again,” he said, whereupon Spurs coach Gregg Popovich jumped up from a seat a few feet away and shook his hand, as if to hold him to the sentiment.

The Spurs held the ceremony after playing the 76ers to give fans a chance to share in Robinson's Hall of Fame experience, and Robinson appreciated the gesture.

“I consider this Hall of Fame celebration as much about this city and about this team as it was about me,” he said. “So it's nice to be able to do it here, with the fans, and let them all enjoy.”

Robinson was joined at a makeshift dais at center court by Popovich, Spurs majority owner Peter Holt, fellow Spurs Hall of Famer George Gervin and Spurs captain Tim Duncan.

Elliott served as master of ceremonies, reminding Robinson that one of his most amazing games, a 34-point, 10-rebound, 10-assist, 10-block quadruple-double against the Detroit Pistons would not have happened without him because he was playing for the Pistons in the game.

“David sent five of my shots into the third row,” Elliott said, or it would have been (34)-10-10 and five.”

Ginobili's return: It took Manu Ginobili, returning to the lineup Sunday after missing five games with a left groin strain, until the second half to finally feel comfortable enough to make some Ginobili-like plays.

The first half produced only one rebound, one steal and one turnover in 7:25 of playing time.

“I was a little hesitant,” Ginobili said. “I didn't want to push it too much, especially in the first half. In the second, I got a little better. I don't know if it loosened up, or just mentally I was better. I really didn't want to push it that much. I was a little worried. I just want to play.”

Mason update: Spurs guard Roger Mason Jr. sat out Sunday's game because of a strained left hamstring, but not before he tried to talk head athletic trainer Will Sevening into allowing him to suit up.

Popovich said Mason likely will be cleared to play in Thursday's game against the Celtics.

tp2021
11-30-2009, 02:33 AM
Popovich said Mason likely will be cleared to play in Thursday's game against the Celtics.

:tu

TDMVPDPOY
11-30-2009, 03:38 AM
robinson suiting up for 5-10mpg do it...

duncan228
11-30-2009, 03:48 AM
video?

The Robinson Tribute.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/multimedia/091129_robinson_tribute.html