PDA

View Full Version : This season Sucks...

Darrin
11-30-2009, 08:47 AM
Has anyone noticed the quality of play is down across the league? Great players are hurt or looking old. Teams aren't defending well, and it looks like each contender for the crown is taking a game a week to say "we're not the favorites." It's gotten so bad, I'm actually thinking about putting the Suns in the contender category. Lebron James looks more interested in next offseason than in getting the Cavs anywhere. Dwight Howard looks like he hasn't worked on his game in two years, and Derrick Rose looks pedestrian all of a sudden. 2007-08 was probably my favorite year because I finally got to see Pierce, Garnett, the Pistons, the Lakers, the Spurs, and the Celtics compete for a Championship in the same season.

It's nice to have Big Ben back, but the rest of this season has been a disappointment. We're in for a sad cap to this decade of basketball.

Allanon
11-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Lebron James looks more interested in next offseason than in getting the Cavs anywhere.
Dwight Howard looks like he hasn't worked on his game in two years
Derrick Rose looks pedestrian all of a sudden.

I fully agree with those 3 assesments.

The NBA is in a transitional stage where some of the very good players are in their twilight years and the new guys aren't up to snuff yet.

Killakobe81
11-30-2009, 09:28 AM
Not sure I buy all of this ...
Celts have been inconsistent but when on they look almost unbeatable ...
You could argue same for Nugs, Hawks and Magic
Phoenix has bee a pleasant surprise as have the Mavs ...
Spurs will get it together they seem to be making strides ...

BIG disapppointments have been the Cavs, Raptors and Blazers ....Cavs seem like they are playing a bit better ...But Raptors and Blazers have rotation and/or chemistry issues with their PG (miller/Calderon) and their best wing players (Roy/Hedu) ...
Yes injuries have hit hard, but the season has been full of highlights (jennings), surprises (Ty Lawson) and breakout seasons (bargiani)

Killakobe81
11-30-2009, 09:30 AM
THe Lakers of couse "are what we thought they were!" ...best in the West ...

spursfan09
11-30-2009, 09:39 AM
You haven't been watching the Spurs huh?

pauls931
11-30-2009, 09:43 AM
The problem is LA being better than everyone last year and getting even better this year while no one else has improved yet. Seriously in the West I think the rankings are:

1. Lakers
2. Lakers
3. Lakers
4. Lakers
5. Lakers
6. Denver
7. Spurs ( I'm being nice, they might belong in the 8th spot too)
8. Suns, Dallas, Sportland, or OKC

edit: I also might add that the Gasol trade threw the balance of the league off...

Killakobe81
11-30-2009, 09:59 AM
IDK I think Suns are legit regular season contenders ...playoffs? no talking about playoffs? IDK I think come palyoff time they may get exposed ...unless they get a great matchup

Muser
11-30-2009, 10:05 AM
Run and Gun doesn't work in the Post-season, that's been proven. As Allanon said the NBA is in transition, greats like Duncan/KG/Dirk etc are nearing the end of their careers and it's up to the youth to take there place (Lopez/Rose/Durant etc.)

Culburn369
11-30-2009, 10:10 AM
and it's up to the youth to take there place (Lopez/Rose/Durant etc.)

Oh, Lordy.

jmill
11-30-2009, 10:14 AM
Might be disappointing for a Pistons fan, but as a basketball fan, I love this year. Casual fans I know have said the same thing.

Lakers/Celtics/Cavs/Magic all with great teams, capable of winning 60+ games, the Suns resurgence with Shaq leaving, The potential Cavs/Lakers finals with the Kobe vs LBJ/Shaq storyline, Duncan/Kobe both going for their 5th rings (I expect the Spurs to come around and be contenders as usual).

The finals should be amazing this year.

You also have Lebron/Kobe/Wade/CP3/D12 all playing at high levels at the same time, Melo really coming into his own this year, and Brandon Jennings dropping 55 as a rookie.

The NBA right now is as good to me as it's been in a long time. Tons of stars and very competitive at the top.

z0sa
11-30-2009, 10:26 AM
LOL, how fucking ridiculous is this thread. GTF back to PistonTalk with this shit.

ElNono
11-30-2009, 10:30 AM
When Duncan/Manu/Pop retire, we're probably going to feel the same way as bitter Pistonfan. I'm having fun with what I see, though.

Bukefal
11-30-2009, 11:00 AM
There are disappointments of course, but if this season sucks? I don't think so.

It's early to say anyway.

pauls931
11-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Run and Gun doesn't work in the Post-season, that's been proven. As Allanon said the NBA is in transition, greats like Duncan/KG/Dirk etc are nearing the end of their careers and it's up to the youth to take there place (Lopez/Rose/Durant etc.)

Run and gun does not work in the post season because teams have time to prepare for it. In the regular season you play so many opponents, you don't really have time to prepare for any particular adversary.

With the Suns when you have time you can do stuff like put your fastest defender on Nash to disrupt the offense. Make sure you have quick guys ready to run back on D to eliminate the fast break. Set high picks involving nash to get at the hoop, etc... Beating the suns involves beating one player, Nash.

jacobdrj
11-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I don't know what others consider quality basketball. That is because everybody's favorite series last season was that gawd awful Celtics-Bulls series, where nobody could dribble, execute a set play of any kind, and defense was just non-existent.

Bulls-Celtics '09 was one of the worst NBA playoff series of all time and everybody loved it just because the games went to the last second: They only went to the last second because it was 2 equally shitty teams playing each other. If that was good basketball, then I want no part of it...

ginobili's bald spot
11-30-2009, 11:51 AM
LOL, how fucking ridiculous is this thread. GTF back to PistonTalk with this shit.

Agreed. Just because the Pistons suck doesn't mean nobody is playing quality basketball.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Damn this is one bitter ass Pistons fan.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I don't know what others consider quality basketball. That is because everybody's favorite series last season was that gawd awful Celtics-Bulls series, where nobody could dribble, execute a set play of any kind, and defense was just non-existent.

Bulls-Celtics '09 was one of the worst NBA playoff series of all time and everybody loved it just because the games went to the last second: They only went to the last second because it was 2 equally shitty teams playing each other. If that was good basketball, then I want no part of it...

Well here's an example of Pistonfan acting like he has supreme basketball knowledge and is the only opinion that matters about what good basketball is. Great job to the Spurs fans on this site who suck Pistonfan's dick constantly and make them think they know everything.

DUNCANownsKOBE2
11-30-2009, 12:00 PM
It's gotten so bad, I'm actually thinking about putting the Suns in the contender category.

Your obvious bias against MJ and Lebron is understandable, your random hatred of the Suns is hilarious shit.

Darrin
11-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Might be disappointing for a Pistons fan, but as a basketball fan, I love this year. Casual fans I know have said the same thing.

I'm not evaluating this in terms of being a Pistons fan. I've had plenty of time over the past two years to get used to the Pistons not being great.

Lakers/Celtics/Cavs/Magic all with great teams, capable of winning 60+ games,

These are not great teams! They'll win a lot, but Lebron is not anywhere near as focused as in previous seasons. I've already covered Dwight Howard. The Celtics looks old and they are turning into a bunch of jump-shooters. Rajon Rondo's play has backed off considerably.

the Suns resurgence with Shaq leaving,

They actually bring it every night. They may not always be the best team, but they give the most effort. So far, that is my read on the league, and if you've read my previous posts, you understand how hard that is for me to say.

The potential Cavs/Lakers finals with the Kobe vs LBJ/Shaq storyline,

Had that last year and the rivalry was hot and heavy. They looked like two freight trains headed towards each other. This pales in comparison. I want good basketball, competitive basketball. I'm not seeing anyone this season chasing a ring right now.

Duncan/Kobe both going for their 5th rings (I expect the Spurs to come around and be contenders as usual).

You forgot Shaq. Preseason hype. Duncan hasn't been great and he's not on a contender. There was more juice last season when Kobe was trying to establish his own Championship legacy and we didn't know if Cleveland or Boston was headed to the Finals (pre-Garnett injury).

The finals should be amazing this year.

Um...that's kind of the point of this post.

You also have Lebron/Kobe/Wade/CP3/D12 all playing at high levels at the same time,

They aren't! Howard is looking more and more like a stiff with big arms (who can't stay on the floor because of being out of position), CP3 hasn't played in awhile. He was on a tear, but on a team that won't be in the postseason. Wade is on a mediocre team--we won't see him matched up with Kobe in the Finals.

Melo really coming into his own this year,

He's been great. Too bad Martin and Billups look worse than this time last season, and they don't lock-down defensively like they did last year with Dahntay Jones. They had a hellava an attack last year and it was suprisingly very balanced. They aren't putting it out there right now.

and Brandon Jennings dropping 55 as a rookie.

That's been a bright spot--the whole Bucks team is playing well right now. Add Kevin Durant to that list. Still, I don't see them contending and the contenders have backed off their pace by a mile.

And who do I watch on ESPN every week?

The NBA right now is as good to me as it's been in a long time. Tons of stars and very competitive at the top.

We obviously don't see the same league then. I see an awful lot of players out of position defensively. I don't see good screens by any of our bigs now. The leading rebounders couldn't defend the post if you gave them a 12-foot fence around it, and the era of the point guard dominating the game--Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash--yeah, that's over. They aren't dominating the same way they did 2-3 years ago. It's all about the 6-5 to 6-9 guy that can pop the three and drive to the rim. Rashard Lewis and so forth.

The mid-range game is dying again. All the contenders were using it. They don't anymore. We see more circus shots when all I crave is one team that can play effectively at executing in the half-court without slowing down the basketball.

baseline bum
11-30-2009, 03:08 PM
What the fuck season are you watching? This has been an incredibly compelling year so far. You have Phoenix rising from the dead to be a top team. You have Dallas putting up a strong season with (and without) Marion. Carmelo Anthony is murdering the league and carrying Denver to a great record. Andrew Bynum is starting to live up to all his potential, and the Lakers are quietly 13-3 (they look much stronger than they did last season). The Spurs have shrugged off a slow start with Parker back now, and have won 5 straight and are starting to look like contenders again. The Western Conference has been incredible so far. To any real basketball fan this has been a great start to what promises to be an amazing year.

Basketballgirl25
11-30-2009, 03:17 PM
As a Nets fan I love watching the Nets play even though they suck, as a basketball fan the only teams fun to watch this year are Magic, Celtics, and Cavs. Rest of the NBA has gone downhill younger teams are good to watch as well. Teams like Mavs and Spurs got boring to watch this year and I loved watch Spurs last season. Lakers are alright, but don't get me pumped to watch like last season, but I've started becoming more of a baseball fan so really doesn't matter as long as younger guys in the league get better then they NBA will be good to watch in a few years again

Double-Up
11-30-2009, 03:18 PM
Oh, Lordy.

Shut the fuck up. :lol

JJ Hickson
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
This season > This thread.

Culburn369
11-30-2009, 06:48 PM
You have Phoenix rising from the dead to be a top team.

Nash hangin' Porter from a yardarm withstanding.

Will Hunting
11-30-2009, 06:51 PM
I see Cubby is still a little bitch, eh bitch?

Culburn369
11-30-2009, 07:00 PM
eh.

duhoh
11-30-2009, 08:08 PM

puff puff pass

jacobdrj
11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Sorry if I don't watch the and1 tour and other forms of low quality basketball.

What does the Celtics vs the Bulls have to do with the Pistons? I think you guys are putting your own biases forth.

I don't agree that basketball is 'so bad' this season, but when people have been praising poorly played basketball it is kind of a shock.

I think most of the basketball I have seen so far has been played with great intensity and good quality.

bostonguy
11-30-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't think this season sucks at all. It has been quite enjoyable.
That being said, the Lakers are in a league of their own.

lefty
11-30-2009, 08:48 PM
This season sucks

ESPN classic is the shit

mystargtr34
11-30-2009, 09:10 PM
I dont think this season has been anything special - none of the good teams are really rolling atm besides the Lakers since they got Pau back, and the Suns. Everyone else is still finding their way. Last year's top rookies are struggling, Rose and Mayo, and some of the leagues most entertaining players, like Manu and Chris Paul, have missed time through injuries. Plus two of the league's marquee guys in Howard and Wade havent really played their best basketball.

So, i can see where the OP is coming from. But there are still plenty of good things happening - one of which is seeing so many good young Centers starting to emerge. Bynum, Lopez, Gasol, Oden, Bogut. All of these guys could end up being pretty damn good.

carrao45
11-30-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm not evaluating this in terms of being a Pistons fan. I've had plenty of time over the past two years to get used to the Pistons not being great.

These are not great teams! They'll win a lot, but Lebron is not anywhere near as focused as in previous seasons. I've already covered Dwight Howard. The Celtics looks old and they are turning into a bunch of jump-shooters. Rajon Rondo's play has backed off considerably.

They actually bring it every night. They may not always be the best team, but they give the most effort. So far, that is my read on the league, and if you've read my previous posts, you understand how hard that is for me to say.

Had that last year and the rivalry was hot and heavy. They looked like two freight trains headed towards each other. This pales in comparison. I want good basketball, competitive basketball. I'm not seeing anyone this season chasing a ring right now.

You forgot Shaq. Preseason hype. Duncan hasn't been great and he's not on a contender. There was more juice last season when Kobe was trying to establish his own Championship legacy and we didn't know if Cleveland or Boston was headed to the Finals (pre-Garnett injury).

Um...that's kind of the point of this post.

They aren't! Howard is looking more and more like a stiff with big arms (who can't stay on the floor because of being out of position), CP3 hasn't played in awhile. He was on a tear, but on a team that won't be in the postseason. Wade is on a mediocre team--we won't see him matched up with Kobe in the Finals.

He's been great. Too bad Martin and Billups look worse than this time last season, and they don't lock-down defensively like they did last year with Dahntay Jones. They had a hellava an attack last year and it was suprisingly very balanced. They aren't putting it out there right now.

That's been a bright spot--the whole Bucks team is playing well right now. Add Kevin Durant to that list. Still, I don't see them contending and the contenders have backed off their pace by a mile.

And who do I watch on ESPN every week?

We obviously don't see the same league then. I see an awful lot of players out of position defensively. I don't see good screens by any of our bigs now. The leading rebounders couldn't defend the post if you gave them a 12-foot fence around it, and the era of the point guard dominating the game--Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Tony Parker, Jason Kidd, Chauncey Billups, Steve Nash--yeah, that's over. They aren't dominating the same way they did 2-3 years ago. It's all about the 6-5 to 6-9 guy that can pop the three and drive to the rim. Rashard Lewis and so forth. Nash is tearin it up...Paul was too before the injury

The mid-range game is dying again.(Dirk and Kobe are inclined to disagree All the contenders were using it. They don't anymore. We see more circus shots when all I crave is one team that can play effectively at executing in the half-court without slowing down the basketballThe Lakers do this better than any team in recent memory.

jdev82
11-30-2009, 11:25 PM
THe Lakers of couse "are what we thought they were!" ...best in the West ...

thats why we took the damn feild