PDA

View Full Version : Eduardo Najera out first 2 games looks like

ducks
04-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Nuggets need Camby in playoffs (Rocky Mountain News)
Vital ingredient
Recent results unmistakable: Nuggets need Camby in playoffs

By Chris Tomasson, Rocky Mountain News
April 21, 2005

A big man in the playoff series will be indispensable to the team. When he does not play, the team has been about as potent as the Milwaukee Bucks.

Tim Duncan?

Not exactly.

Duncan is instrumental to the San Antonio Spurs, who face the Denver Nuggets in a first-round Western Conference series that begins Sunday. But a case can be made Denver center Marcus Camby is more valuable to the Nuggets.

The Spurs went 9-7 this season without Duncan, bothered primarily by a severely sprained right ankle. But the Nuggets went 6-10 when Camby did not play.

"Tell the fans to get excited," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "It's going to be a great series. . . . If Marcus is healthy, I feel good we're going to take this to six or seven games."

And if Camby is not healthy?

"Scared," Karl said. "Because we're (28-4) when Marcus has been in the lineup (since Karl was hired Jan. 27). We win. So I'm cocky, I guess."

Camby's value to the Nuggets never was more apparent than in the past week. With him not playing key games at Houston and Phoenix because of a strained right hamstring, the Nuggets twice were walloped.

"The way we played (in those) two games, you could say that's fair," forward Carmelo Anthony said when asked if Camby is the key to the Nuggets' success.

Camby missed the final three regular-season games, but Wednesday he pronounced himself fit for the playoffs.

Sort of.

"I feel better," said Camby, who expects to practice today. "I'll be out there. . . . It's not going to get any better. But as the series goes on, I'm going to expend so much energy and put so much into the ballgame. It's all mental right now."

Camby does not believe he will have to play reduced minutes. Nevertheless, Karl is antsy.

"Knowing Marcus, he's going to play at 100 percent," he said. "His heart is going to be bigger than his body. I just hope we got him to where, physically, he doesn't hurt himself. When he gets out there, he plays with an abandonment that probably creates some of his injuries."

While emerging as a strong candidate for Defensive Player of the Year, the 6-foot-11 Camby was second in the NBA in blocked shots with a 3.02 average and grabbed 10.0 rebounds a game. And he averaged 10.3 points.

"You're talking about a 7-footer that's like a goaltender," guard Wesley Person said. "You can't replace that. That's the guy that cuts off a lot of guys' mistakes not only with blocks, but he changes a lot of shots. . . . And he's probably having his best season shooting the basketball."

Camby also is having one of his healthiest seasons, but that is relative for him. He played in 66 games, the second most in his nine-year career, but that still is 16 missed.

"I've been doing it in the playoffs," said Camby, who has missed only one of 46 possible playoff games, and that was because of a family crisis. "I don't care what people in the regular season say about how many games I've missed. Check my playoff stats. . . . All that stuff about injuries, that stuff doesn't bother me. My teammates know, the people here in Denver know what I bring to this team. I just need the respect of my coaches and my teammates."

He has got it. In fact, Camby sometimes wonders if they respect him too much.

"It has to be a total team effort," he said. "It's going to take more than Marcus Camby to beat the Spurs."

ETC.: Karl said forward Eduardo Najera, who has a broken right hand, will be on the playoff roster and in uniform for Game 1, although he might not play the first couple of games. "He'll probably want to play, but when you can't make layups . . ." Karl said. Doctors say Najera's right hand will be much better after the first two games, but he cannot move it now . . . Entering Wednesday, the Nuggets were in line to draft No. 18, No. 19 or No. 20 with the pick they will get from the Washington Wizards and No. 22 or No. 23 with their own . . . By reaching seasonal averages of 10 points, 10 rebounds and 2.75 blocked shots, Camby earned a $750,000 bonus. Guard Voshon Lenard earned a $250,000 bonus for the team winning 30 games and making the postseason even though he is not expected to be on the playoff roster. Andre Miller earned a $100,000 playoff bonus and will get $650,000 more if Denver reaches the second round. A trip to the Western Conference finals would earn Kenyon Martin about $150,000 . . . Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe attended the Board of Governors meeting at New York.

Dex
04-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Good find, ducks.

Najera has proven to be a thorn in the side of the Spurs a couple of times. And I think his hand is a freak of nature. I'm amazed that he can even dribble with that thing already.

Marcus Camby not at 100 percent, and as the article already said, as Camby goes, so go the Nuggets.

If the Spurs bigs can contain Camby and control the post, this series shouldn't even go six games. The Spurs perimeter defense should be able to shut down the already sputtering outside game of the Nuggets.

bigbendbruisebrother
04-21-2005, 04:38 PM
Tell the fans to get excited...

What a cheesebag.

Can you imagine Pop talking like that?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
04-21-2005, 05:16 PM
If Najera comes back, I would Imagine that he would be an offensive liability for the nuggets, the spurs would essentially be playing 5 on 4 on defense.

Jimcs50
04-21-2005, 05:17 PM
Tell the fans to get excited," Nuggets coach George Karl said. "It's going to be a great series. . . . If Marcus is healthy, I feel good we're going to take this to six or seven games."

And if Camby is not healthy?

"Scared," Karl said. "Because we're (28-4) when Marcus has been in the lineup (since Karl was hired Jan. 27). We win. So I'm cocky, I guess."

Camby's value to the Nuggets never was more apparent than in the past week. With him not playing key games at Houston and Phoenix because of a strained right hamstring, the Nuggets twice were walloped.

I told you Whottt!

Blazer16
04-21-2005, 08:03 PM
I have a feeling a whole lot more people are going to hate Monkey Karl by the time this series is over.

IceColdBrewski
04-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I have a feeling a whole lot more people are going to hate Monkey Karl by the time this series is over.

Yep. There's going to be a lot of dirty tactics. Najera's main duty will probably be to rough up Manu as best he can.

Obstructed_View
04-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I can't imagine being intimidated by any team that feels like Marcus Camby is the key to their success.

Rummpd
04-21-2005, 11:25 PM
We have a player playing a lot like Camby right now = blocking shots, 10 boards a game, 10 points a game or so = Nazr. Pair him on defense with a motivated
Duncan = No worries.

Obstructed_View
04-22-2005, 12:10 PM
No really. The more I think about this the more sure I become that the Spurs are going to win this series rather easily. They have been known to come up empty in the playoffs, so anything can happen, but I honestly don't think it would take great play to win this series in four or five games. The Nuggets have been playing well, but have they beaten anyone of significance, or are they just playing Paul Westhead ball? They won against the Spurs twice without Duncan and once without Duncan and Ginobili, and it took a huge comeback to win one of those. They might get winded in the first game in Denver if they don't dictate the tempo, and I imagine it might take a bit to figure out the players, and how to defend them, but unless the Spurs play truly uninspired basketball or get more than one major injury they are going to have a tough time losing this series.