PDA

View Full Version : Ikea won't take my money.

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
I want to send an $80 children's blue swivel Lomsk chair to my nephew in Denver, but it's only purchasable in-store. I called customer service to confirm this craziness and asked the dude on the other end if he understood that it is crazy that I can't purchase a chair over the phone and pay Ikea to ship it to Denver.

The package would weigh 23 pounds, so I'm just guessing I would pay more to take it to the post office and ship it myself than I paid for the chair.

I'd send my sister-in-law an Ikea gift certificate if there were an Ikea in Denver.

I thought, "Surely, some brilliant entrepreneur has created an Ikea delivery service!" and I'd be right, except it's a brilliant entrepreneur who works in Manhattan.

I really, simply cannot wrap my brain around the fact that it's Christmas shopping season and there's not a way for me to spend my money on one of their products.

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:24 PM
You should be glad they won't take your money.

Well, now I have to think of something else to send to my nephew.

Bender
11-30-2009, 02:26 PM
that is kind of hard to believe. Guess they are still in the middle ages.

Bender
11-30-2009, 02:29 PM
FAWK 80 bucks for a childrens chair!!! Damn richies....
lol, I didn't say anything, since I have better manners... but I was kind of thinking the same thing...

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-30-2009, 02:31 PM
Between this and Tiger's wife, the Swedes aren't having a good week.

katyon6th
11-30-2009, 02:31 PM
If you really want to get this chair for your nephew, is there an option to go purchase the chair in the store and then ship it yourself?

H&M is another retailer that I loathe for reasons like this. Not only is there not a store in the state of Texas but they don't have an online shop for the entire United States. Assholes.

duncan228
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM

:lol

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
It's a swivel chair for a kid. There is more than 1 place that sells them.

No, it's not a swivel desk chair. It's a child-sized, very sturdy, well-designed egg-shaped chair that has a little ribbed pull-down screen, so the kid can get in it, give it a good push with his foot, then pull down the screen and spin or hide or whatever. It's very cute adn I told her 2 months ago I'd send her one for her son.

http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/62384_PE169054_S3.jpg

Edited to say my boys have had one for a few years and they love it and it's held up beautifully against their abuse.

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Communists!! Not taking my money!! :ihit

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:36 PM
If you really want to get this chair for your nephew, is there an option to go purchase the chair in the store and then ship it yourself?

I suppose so, and I might do that, but it's a 23-pound package, so if I ship it Fed Ex or postal service, I assume it will be quite pricy.

Hey is anyone going to Denver for Christmas? :lol

katyon6th
11-30-2009, 02:38 PM
I suppose so, and I might do that, but it's a 23-pound package, so if I ship it Fed Ex or postal service, I assume it will be quite pricy.

Your nephew is worth it, isn't he? :spin

I'll be in Denver the 2nd week of December.

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Your nephew is worth it, isn't he? :spin

I'll be in Denver the 2nd week of December.

I'll pay you twenty bucks to deliver a chair. :lol

katyon6th
11-30-2009, 02:41 PM
I'll pay you twenty bucks to deliver a chair. :lol

Deal.

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:41 PM
Sweet.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2009, 02:44 PM
Call a UPS store. I doubt it would cost over $25 to ship UPS ground.

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:47 PM
This is why CC makes the big bucks. Just looked it up on UPS and a 3-day transit would be about $20. Not bad at all.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2009, 02:52 PM
This is why CC makes the big bucks. Just looked it up on UPS and a 3-day transit would be about $20. Not bad at all.

LOL I ship stuff all the time. UPS just automatically comes by my office every day.

katyon6th
11-30-2009, 02:53 PM

And I thought I suggested the idea you ship it yourself.

I demand some recognition!

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:54 PM
And I thought I suggested the idea you ship it yourself.

I demand some recognition!

:lol Sorry, I stand corrected, but I was still thinking of the post office when you mentioned it.

Evil Angel
11-30-2009, 03:01 PM

So, blowing 80 bones on a chair for a kid is no problem, but won't spring for the extra it might cost to ship it? :wtf

Do the UPS 20 bucks and be done with it!

BacktoBasics
11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
....or you could kick me in the nuts for 80 bucks.

Summers
11-30-2009, 03:03 PM
I know, I'm just being a baby because it means I have to drive to ... oh, shit, farther than Austin... Cedar Park. That's an hour drive. And then drive it over to a UPS store. I really might just ask her what else she wants. Fucking Ikea.

katyon6th
11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
....or you could kick me in the nuts for 80 bucks.

I'd stand in line for this.

Summers,

Going to the store for that one item will be pure hell. You'll spend all day trying to find it because the store is so ginormous and overwhelming.

Frenzy
11-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Is he like 5..6 yrs and under?

cause argh the gayest chair I've ever seen...looks like an over sized baby carrier with that white "screen". No nephew of mine is sitting in that kind of chair.

Summers
11-30-2009, 03:28 PM
Is he like 5..6 yrs and under?

cause argh the gayest chair I've ever seen...looks like an over sized baby carrier with that white "screen". No nephew of mine is sitting in that kind of chair.

He's 2.

Edited because my first response was rude. :)

Bender
11-30-2009, 03:34 PM
Edited because my first response was rude.
inquiring minds want to know!!! :hungry:

Summers
11-30-2009, 03:36 PM

I dare not repeat it, lest I blush, for I am such a lady. (scratches crotch and spits)

Frenzy
11-30-2009, 03:38 PM
i think something like this..

"..like oh no my boys will be douchbags and yes he's 2,you gayer.."

Summers
11-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Yes, something like that.

Ginofan
11-30-2009, 04:12 PM

H&M is another retailer that I loathe for reasons like this. Not only is there not a store in the state of Texas but they don't have an online shop for the entire United States. Assholes.

I totally agree, H&M is awful about this!!! They'd rather open stores in freakin Korea, Luxembourg, and freakin Kuwait...wtf WHAT ABOUT TEXAS?!?!!? Jesus H

MiamiHeat
11-30-2009, 05:51 PM
A swivel chair for christmas?

Don't you know anything about children? You will be that aunt that gives shitty gifts. You will be ostracized, CAST OUT!!!! It's almost as bad as giving them nice clothes or things they can actually use.

Toys. It must be toys.

Buy them a video game.

PM5K
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
My .02 is that while it's a nice chair, it's probably not worth what it will wind up costing you in time and money.

Chair: 80.00 plus tax
Gas: At least 20.00 plus tax @ 25 MPG
Time: At least two hours to drive there and back, not to mention time in the store and at the shipping location.
Shipping: 20.00 plus tax or so via Ground depending on size and weight.

Also, you might have to have the chair repackaged depending on how it comes from the store. Is it in a box? If not you'll need a box. If it does come in a box does it have pictures of what it is all over it, if so you might feel more comfortable shipping it in a plain box or wrapped in some type of plain brown paper to conceal its contents.

Totally not worth it to me.

ginobili's bald spot
11-30-2009, 07:21 PM
A couple thoughts...

#1 80 bucks for that thing? That seems a bit steep.

#2 If I'm a kid, the last thing in the world I want is a fucking swivel chair.

To sum it up, you are begging IKEA to rip you off for an 80 dollar chair that is going to be a pain in the ass to ship and will undoubtedly be a complete disappointment to the kid. You might want to reconsider this purchase.

Disclaimer- I'm not trying to be rude, just throwing in my 2 cents.

PM5K
11-30-2009, 07:28 PM
I was under the impression that she was actually buying it because she'd already told her sister she would buy it for her nephew, which leads me to believe the mother likes the chair because she either saw it or was shown it by someone.

It's obvious some of you don't have children. I'm sure he'd love having his own chair, especially a chair like that.

MiamiHeat
11-30-2009, 08:42 PM
I'm sure he'd love having his own chair, especially a chair like that.

I'm sure he'd rather have the new fucking version of whatever videogame or toy is popular nowadays rather than a damn chair.

Guaranteed

katyon6th
11-30-2009, 08:45 PM
I'm sure he'd rather have the new fucking version of whatever videogame or toy is popular nowadays rather than a damn chair.

Guaranteed

The kids 2 fucking years old. He's going to love the shit out of that chair.

PM5K
11-30-2009, 09:05 PM
The kids just going to play with the box it came in anyways. Get him a box.

There's a person that knows kids.

MiamiHeat can't get laid much less have kids so he obviously knows nothing.

MiamiHeat
11-30-2009, 10:10 PM
There's a person that knows kids.

MiamiHeat can't get laid much less have kids so he obviously knows nothing.

I thought the kid was older than 2. At 2, kid won't even really care much about the chair.

and how would you know if I can get laid or not? do you claim to be a wizard LOL

JJ Hickson
12-01-2009, 12:21 AM
I thought the kid was older than 2. At 2, kid won't even really care much about the chair.

and how would you know if I can get laid or not? do you claim to be a wizard LOL

Everyone knows that you can't get laid. Every post you make reminds me of the poker scene in 40 year old virgin.

PM5K
12-01-2009, 01:42 AM
Everyone knows that you can't get laid. Every post you make reminds me of the poker scene in 40 year old virgin.

Bag of sand, lol..

MiamiHeat
12-01-2009, 02:00 AM
Bag of sand, lol..

yeah, agree with a troll account

jokes on you LOL