PDA

View Full Version : single-cup coffeemakers !

Bender
11-30-2009, 02:24 PM
I'm thinking about getting a Keurig. anybody here have one? How do you like it? Pros & cons?

1. where's a good local place to get K-cups (san antonio)?
2. where's a good internet place to get K-cups?
3. what's a good plain non-flavored (columbian) K-cup?
4. what's a good, non-watery hot chocolate k-cup?

Keurigs are damn expensive. Are there better buys from other companies?

yeah, I've already browsed the web and done some reading, but I'm interested in the worldly, intellectual and helpful comments from ST'ers.

katyon6th
11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
I don't own one but I know a handful of Keurig owners who swear by it and say they're totally worth the price.

I want one. I wish they came in pink.

mrsmaalox
11-30-2009, 02:35 PM
I'm loving my Keurig. I got the 3 sizes one that sells for $169. But it was on sale at Kohls for $129 and I had a 30% off coupon so that made it less than $100. The K cups are pretty much everywhere. I don't drink flavored coffees, but I don't do Columbian either so I stick with the milder breakfast blend (Timothy's). My daughter does the hot tea or hot cocoa---we use the brands that HEB sells. They all run about $10 for 18 cups. But a friend keeps sending me Amazon links for some really good prices ie $25 for 50 K cups that I may look into.

CosmicCowboy
11-30-2009, 02:50 PM
We have one that the wife uses but I don't use it. I think she gets the green mountain assortments at Target. She has a big rack of them on the counter. If I'm gonna drink coffee I'm gonna drink LOTS of coffee and grab the big pot.

Summers
11-30-2009, 02:51 PM
And you were making fun of me for wanting to buy my nephew an $80 chair? Why don't you just get a $20 French press? :)

Bender
11-30-2009, 03:00 PM
And you were making fun of me for wanting to buy my nephew an $80 chair? Why don't you just get a $20 French press?
:lol wasn't making fun of you, well not too much. I'm getting this thing for me, not a dumb extended family member...

Bender
11-30-2009, 03:02 PM
If I'm gonna drink coffee I'm gonna drink LOTS of coffee and grab the big pot.I'm a big coffee drinker too, but mostly at work. At home, I may have a cup or two on weekend mornings.

Bender
11-30-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm loving my Keurig. I got the 3 sizes one that sells for $169.I stopped in BBB during lunch today, and saw that model. I also looked at the "Mini" model, but it only made an 8oz cup. 8oz is too small of a cup of coffee, that is a kiddie cup. I need a man-sized cup of coffee, 12oz.

But it was on sale at Kohls for $129 and I had a 30% off coupon so that made it less than $100.wow, great price. It was $169.99 at BBB today.

I don't drink flavored coffees, but I don't do Columbian either so I stick with the milder breakfast blend (Timothy's).I don't drink the flavored stuff either, I like plain old coffee. But I like the medium strength columbian stuff. I find the breakfast blends to be weak and yucky.

mouse
11-30-2009, 04:46 PM
To me coffee is like Mexican food why settle for taco bell when you can have Blanco cafe?

But the truth is when your late for work and your tired you will drink what ever is at the local gas station.

I thought I finally hit the big time when I spent 90 dollars at Target for a so-called espresso machine.

http://www.mylamppost.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/krups-xp1500-espresso-machine.jpg

I thought I was hip and could finally be worthy to post in the Quartto topics and be accepted. I must admit I could feel the caffeine much better than regular coffee.

I even made a topic about coffee. Then I saw a show on the food network and this chef that talks about how cheese is rally made the dude with the fucked up hair and looks like a mad scientist from mystery science theater you know the vato, anyway he said most espresso lovers have no idea they don't have a real espresso machine.

In fact a real espresso machine has a pump inside.

http://www.salvatore-espresso.com/images/inside%20home%20machine.JPG

Mine kinda looks like this.

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/48/5d/a0/inside-view-looking-like.jpg

I felt like I got ripped off. But now I know why my 99.00 dollar espresso machine was between a 299.00 and a 320.00 machine.

One thing I found out you need 5 times as much coffee to make a good espresso and that can kill your budget but the caffeine high is worth it. Right now I am saving for a nice 299.00 machine so meanwhile I use this.

http://www.espressoparts.com/espressoparts/content/images_inv/k/l/2879/melitta_rsj_black03_full_2879.jpg

If you want a good caffeine fix try these they work well!

http://www.cw-usa.com/common/images/products/main/coffee-folgers-classicroast-singles-regular-box.jpg

I might just make me a cup and find a cool Evolution topic to post in! :tu

Ignignokt
11-30-2009, 04:49 PM
good post mouse.

Alex Haley
11-30-2009, 04:56 PM
good post mouse.

^ This is something you don't see often. ^ :lmao

Bender
11-30-2009, 06:02 PM
those Folgers coffee singles are one of the greatest inventions in the last few years.

I'm wondering if I should just stick to those for weekends at home, rather than shelling out for a keurig.

I used to think those expresso machines and whatnot were yuppie gadgets.

mrsmaalox
11-30-2009, 06:41 PM
those Folgers coffee singles are one of the greatest inventions in the last few years.

I'm wondering if I should just stick to those for weekends at home, rather than shelling out for a keurig.

Well that's the thing, it's just another gadget. I can't say the Keurig's coffee is any more delicious than the coffee from a $20 Mr. Coffee. I just like the one cup at a time option because otherwise I'd be dumping out a whole pot of coffee every day. Honestly I was perfectly happy drinking instant before the Keurig. And a wee bit richer ;)

Vinnie_Johnson
11-30-2009, 06:52 PM
Starbucks Via the perfect cup anytime anywhere.

Bender
11-30-2009, 07:36 PM
Starbucks Via
instant coffee

boutons_deux
11-30-2009, 08:50 PM
I got sick of the brown water at work and service stations. Starbucks is only a step in the right direction, and the Valero at IH10 Exit 543 has the best selection of coffee I've seen in a gas station, but still...

After seeing a Williams Sonoma espresso for $2000, I got a cheap Mr Coffee Expresso machine at Wal-mart

http://www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx?pid=45

and grinder

http://www.mrcoffee.com/Product.aspx?pid=74

Distilled water, and Costa Rican and Jamaica Blue Mountains strong roast beans from Costco. 2 lbs under $10. Serious stuff.

I get manly man coffee as good as any I've had in France or Italy.

Then I duped the entire rig at my employer's break room, rather than drink the garden variety brown water there. :)

Mouse can stick his multiple $1000 water pump up his ass. :)

Vinnie_Johnson
11-30-2009, 09:12 PM
instant coffee

Have you tried it? Yes I am a coffee snob and it's damn good.

Bender
11-30-2009, 10:31 PM
no, I admit I have never tried starbucks via.

I had to google french press - I never heard of it. Sounded like some kind of weightlifting exercise... french curl, bench press, french press...

I have an under sink reverse osmosis filter, so good water is no problem for me. Makes everything taste better - tea, coffee, and ice cubes are clear...

mouse
12-01-2009, 01:39 PM
Mouse can stick his multiple $1000 water pump up his ass. :)

Can I fantasize about you when I do? :toast

After doing some research and talking with my girlfriend that so-called espresso machine I got from Target was maybe 39.00 dollars not 99.00 dollars after all. which explains allot more on why I couldn't achieve that star bucks quality. In fact I doubt there is a "real" espressos machine less than 199.00 on the market.

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29340&highlight=espresso

http://www.great-earth.net/ge/sites/great-earth.net/files/int%20espresso_72%20dpi.jpg

RGMCSE
12-01-2009, 02:01 PM
Here is my take on this piece of shit called Kuerig. Obviously with that first line your going to know my stance on it. However I can back it up. Pure and simple the kcups are too damm expensive for the shit quality coffee you get. I've tried a few different brands and they are all crappy tasting. Some are bitter and some are too light or too dark. Hell is just like that Bud Light commercial. I drink this crap every day at work. Every break room has one. With Green Mountain brand coffee.

The wife found our k machine at Foleys close out sale for 20 bucks. She spent about a hundred dollars worth of coffee and the damm things sits in our cabinet unused. The only benefit I see to this machine is that its a quick easy cup of shitty coffee. It's pretty bad when you consider your saturday morning cup of McDonalds coffee a speacial treat. Shit dont even mention Starbucks or Barneys.

Rob

katyon6th
12-01-2009, 02:04 PM
Rob, it sounds like you could use a cup of coffee right now.

mouse
12-01-2009, 02:08 PM
this piece of shit called Kuerig damm things sits in our cabinet unused.

Are you planning on selling it?

RGMCSE
12-01-2009, 02:16 PM
She aint getting rid of it. Even though she doesn't use it. Oh well time to make another shitty cup of breakfast blend.

Rob

mouse
12-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Do you know what coffee the truckers drink to stay up?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-01-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't own one but I know a handful of Keurig owners who swear by it and say they're totally worth the price.

I want one. I wish they came in pink.

well don't feel special or anything but I'm kinda checking out a certain type of coffee pot and came across this

http://www.bialettishop.com/MukkaPinkMain.htm

it requires a little more effort to make a cup but all the reviews so far on this companies products are pretty good. Enjoy.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Here is my take on this piece of shit called Kuerig. Obviously with that first line your going to know my stance on it. However I can back it up. Pure and simple the kcups are too damm expensive for the shit quality coffee you get. I've tried a few different brands and they are all crappy tasting. Some are bitter and some are too light or too dark. Hell is just like that Bud Light commercial. I drink this crap every day at work. Every break room has one. With Green Mountain brand coffee.

The wife found our k machine at Foleys close out sale for 20 bucks. She spent about a hundred dollars worth of coffee and the damm things sits in our cabinet unused. The only benefit I see to this machine is that its a quick easy cup of shitty coffee. It's pretty bad when you consider your saturday morning cup of McDonalds coffee a speacial treat. Shit dont even mention Starbucks or Barneys.

Rob

sounds like you could give back2basics some competition.

Bender
12-01-2009, 03:13 PM
hmmm... RGMCSE is giving me second thoughts on the Keurig thing.

does one K-cup = one cup of coffee? if so, K-cups seem to come out to approx. .41 per cup.

there are so many different brands of k-cups, some may taste "shitty", to quote RGMCSE, but some are fairly highly rated by buyers.

RGMCSE
12-01-2009, 03:23 PM
hmmm... RGMCSE is giving me second thoughts on the Keurig thing.

does one K-cup = one cup of coffee? if so, K-cups seem to come out to approx. .41 per cup.

there are so many different brands of k-cups, some may taste "shitty", to quote RGMCSE, but some are fairly highly rated by buyers.

To be fair, the machine really isn't the problem. It's the coffee that's associated with it. From my experience they've been pretty bad. Someone once told me that a large percentage of coffee consumers buy is stale. Well the k-cups just seem to be level below putrid in my opinion. It's not to say there isn't a quality brand out there. I still use my gevalia coffee maker every now and then and buy the Seattle best, starbucks and so on. All in all for a decent cup, its worth it for me to take the extra steps and make it my self.

Rob

boutons_deux
12-01-2009, 03:28 PM
Bialetti is of course good stuff, being from Italia.

I was thinking about the electric bialetti, since I had the stove top version, but forgot it one day, boiled all the coffee out, and melted the handle off! :)

but bialetti has some maintenance, there are rubber seals that go hard, get coffee grinds embedded in them, and have to be replaced. easy to replace, but a pain to order, pay, shipping, etc.

On the above Mr Coffee Espresso, there's nothing to replace, and the espresso action (water/steam under pressure) is same as Bialetti. and there's steam spigot for cafe au lait, cappucino

mrsmaalox
12-01-2009, 03:38 PM
I agree the quality of the K cup coffee has been a bit dodgy and I've had to try many different ones. But Keurig also sells this little gadget that you can use with your own favorite gourmet or cheaper brand.

http://www.keurigcoffeebrewer.com/images/filters.jpg

I don't have it, but I saw it at Kohl's when I bought my machine and if I'm not mistaken, it was around $4.

FromWayDowntown
12-01-2009, 04:57 PM
But Keurig also sells this little gadget that you can use with your own favorite gourmet or cheaper brand.

http://www.keurigcoffeebrewer.com/images/filters.jpg

I don't have it, but I saw it at Kohl's when I bought my machine and if I'm not mistaken, it was around $4.

We bought one of those to go with our Keurig and my wife absolutely swears by it. We've used it to brew favored coffees that don't come in K-cups, teas (she likes the Bigelow flavored teas, which we haven't found in K-cups), and even hot cocoa.

I'd agree that some of the K-cups that are available are pretty bad, but I've found a few that I like and will join the chorus that swears by my Keurig. I can't abide instant coffee, though, and don't drink enough to warrant making a whole pot. Our investment in the Keurig has been completely validated.

Viva Las Espuelas
12-01-2009, 05:12 PM
I'd agree that some of the K-cups that are available are pretty bad
exactly how long has the ground coffee been sitting in there? Personally, fresh ground coffee is the best. Not a lot of work that's definitely noticable, but I think this machine is more geared towards instant gratification.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
12-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Starbucks quality espresso? Jesus, man. I feel sorry that you think espresso is supposed to taste like that. It always tastes like the ass end of the press to me.

I haven't dropped the coin on a Saeco, but my brother has one. It makes a sweeter espresso(more scuma) than a regular Moka and it's done in less than 5 seconds. Of course, it costs 30x more than a Moka, but for most, that's less than they spend buying it on the go in a calender year.

And get better beans. Looks like LaVazza Super Crema in the cup above, which would be an excellent choice. Last time I checked, it was $23/kilo.

Anyone try the Brikka?

Viva Las Espuelas
12-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Starbucks quality espresso? Jesus, man. I feel sorry that you think espresso is supposed to taste like that. It always tastes like the ass end of the press to me.

I haven't dropped the coin on a Saeco, but my brother has one. It makes a sweeter espresso(more scuma) than a regular Moka and it's done in less than 5 seconds. Of course, it costs 30x more than a Moka, but for most, that's less than they spend buying it on the go in a calender year.

And get better beans. Looks like LaVazza Super Crema in the cup above, which would be an excellent choice. Last time I checked, it was $23/kilo.

Anyone try the Brikka?
Looks like you know the lingo. Is what makes an espresso in reference to the grind, the roast, or bean? Haven't found a clear cut answer. And yes I saw that super crema stuff and the pic looked great. Is it really that good? I saw a 2.2lb bag for $28. Yikes!

mrsmaalox
12-01-2009, 05:24 PM
exactly how long has the ground coffee been sitting in there? Personally, fresh ground coffee is the best. Not a lot of work that's definitely noticable, but I think this machine is more geared towards instant gratification.

It probably hasn't been sitting there any longer than any of the other coffee on the shelf. And yes, the Keurig is absolutely aimed towards instant gratification. I get no personal gratification at all, waiting 10 minutes for a cup of coffee :)

Bender
12-01-2009, 05:25 PM
I also saw those reusable coffee filters at BBB the other day. It's a good idea by keurig, makes their machines more usable, and may influence the decision to buy a keurig of people who are on the fence about the k-cup requirement.

12-01-2009, 05:55 PM
Looks like you know the lingo. Is what makes an espresso in reference to the grind, the roast, or bean? Haven't found a clear cut answer. And yes I saw that super crema stuff and the pic looked great. Is it really that good? I saw a 2.2lb bag for $28. Yikes!

I really don't know the lingo. Are you asking what makes an espresso an espresso?

Try this:

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide-short-history.html

And yes, LSC is that good. To me. With a dash of homemade Anisette.

Like anything else, what I love you may hate. Try a few beans out and see what you like or rather, what you can live with for the price.

leemajors
12-01-2009, 09:02 PM

http://lifehacker.com/5416398/make-your-own-single+serve-coffee-pods

Viva Las Espuelas
12-02-2009, 12:34 AM
I really don't know the lingo. Are you asking what makes an espresso an espresso?

Try this:

http://www.home-barista.com/espresso-guide-short-history.html

And yes, LSC is that good. To me. With a dash of homemade Anisette.

Like anything else, what I love you may hate. Try a few beans out and see what you like or rather, what you can live with for the price.
man, thanks for the link. :tu
good stuff

Viva Las Espuelas
12-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Anyone try the Brikka?

Man, that super crema is heaven in a cup. Borderline gravy. It's totally spoiled me in just one day. Santa brought me some of that and a bialetti moka express. My mom even used some super crema in her drip machine and that was good. We took a pot of it to a family gathering and it went quick. Everyone said they normally need cream for coffee but didn't with this one. They likes it 'til I told them the price. I haven't tried the brikka but I saw they had the moka at target for $30. They look the same. I highly recommend it.

jacobdrj
12-28-2009, 03:49 AM
I'm thinking about getting a Keurig. anybody here have one? How do you like it? Pros & cons?

1. where's a good local place to get K-cups (san antonio)?
2. where's a good internet place to get K-cups?
3. what's a good plain non-flavored (columbian) K-cup?
4. what's a good, non-watery hot chocolate k-cup?

Keurigs are damn expensive. Are there better buys from other companies?

yeah, I've already browsed the web and done some reading, but I'm interested in the worldly, intellectual and helpful comments from ST'ers.

I have one at work. Can't say I have found one that isn't watery. I'd just recommend you stay away from these things.

TDMVPDPOY
12-28-2009, 04:33 AM
do you guys get one of this?

you put the coffee power into that silver cup filter and pour boiling water into it and wait for the filtered coffee drips into the cup

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/5445570/380227-main_Full.jpg

jacobdrj
12-28-2009, 04:36 AM
I do my coffee 'Turkish style', without the spice: I grind my coffee to the consistency of flour, and put the grinds right in my boiling water in my cup. I let it brew for about 5-8 minutes, and drink. Because the coffee is so heavily ground, it all sinks to the bottom. It is so good that way.

12-28-2009, 03:10 PM
Man, that super crema is heaven in a cup. Borderline gravy. It's totally spoiled me in just one day. Santa brought me some of that and a bialetti moka express. My mom even used some super crema in her drip machine and that was good. We took a pot of it to a family gathering and it went quick. Everyone said they normally need cream for coffee but didn't with this one. They likes it 'til I told them the price. I haven't tried the brikka but I saw they had the moka at target for $30. They look the same. I highly recommend it.

Yeah, it's damn good. I've moved on the Gran Crema, which I get in Italy. Even there, it's really hard to find. I just saw the Super Crema for $21/kilo. If you buy a box, 6 kilos, it's $19/kilo.

And the pods are sometimes watery because most are loosely packed. If you compress them, then it will make a better cup of coffee.

Soul_Patch
01-08-2010, 09:20 PM
I ended up getting the Keurig special edition (same one you got Malox) based on this thread really.

I have been looking for something like this for a while, never knew thes existed. It is exactly what i was looking for. I had a 50 dollar Kohls gift card for my birthday. They were on sale for 106.99, and i bought the 48 cups for 30 bucks.

All in all, im thrilled. Made my first cup this evening. Used the same Kcup twice, once on 10oz and second on 8oz and it came out fine.