PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry.com

rAm
11-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Anyone have an account on this site?

There are a couple things about my family I wanted to check out, but really don't want to pay the monthly fee for it right now, I am broke as shit.

Also, how is the premium side of this site?

Any help would be appreciated : )

Frenzy
11-30-2009, 03:40 PM
I keep wanting to check it out...but meh I keep thinking ain't no one keeping records of my family. Least the earlier half.

angel_luv
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
My family name is Smith so I think a search would return way to many results for me to determine anything.

mouse
11-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Edited

rAm
11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
You can still look to see if there are any records up w/o being a member so its worth a shot.

mouse
11-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Edited

angel_luv
11-30-2009, 03:50 PM
hey Angel use your DNA to trace your roots and see if this pops up!

:)

http://messengerandadvocate.files.wordpress.com/2006/12/virgin-mary-2.jpg

:lol

That's Mrs. Angel Luv to you!

JudynTX
11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
I would love to know what part of Mexico my family is from. :lol

mouse
11-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Edited

mouse
11-30-2009, 03:53 PM
Edited

rAm
11-30-2009, 03:56 PM
k the pictures are getting old

mouse
11-30-2009, 04:00 PM
k the pictures are getting old

I will remove them after you remove that stick in your ass. You really want to know where your ancestors came from try Assholes anonymous.

Frenzy
11-30-2009, 04:10 PM
You can still look to see if there are any records up w/o being a member so its worth a shot.
let me guess you search and when you get to info you actually didn't know it says "for further access join today" :bang

rAm
11-30-2009, 04:11 PM
I didn't remove the stick (its a baseball bat btw) but you removed the pictures, so thank you.

I know where my ancestor's came from, I'm more interested in some Marriage Records and Military History. kthx mouse.

rAm
11-30-2009, 04:12 PM
let me guess you search and when you get to info you actually didn't know it says "for further access join today" :bang

Yep. btw that chick in your sig went to my HS

JudynTX
11-30-2009, 04:15 PM
I know where my ancestor's came from, I'm more interested in some Marriage Records and Military History. kthx mouse.

Have you asked your family if they have these records?

When my mom passed, we found her marriage license and a school picture with Lyndon B. Johnson. :wow

rAm
11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Was looking up some things about my grandpa who is about to pass away and stumbled on some things about my Dad being married more times than he previously had told me : ) Just wanted to research further, that kind of stuff is way interesting.

mouse
11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Was looking up some things about my grandpa .

Do you have any photos of your Grandpa or did you already tell your family to remove them?

DarkReign
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
My cousin actually paid for one month and cancelled.

Its pretty awesome. Youre going to be very surprised about who youre distantly related to....like really distant.

Im a hockey fan so the only one I remember is Guy LaFleur. Apparently, he is my 7th cousin by blood, not marriage.

rAm
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Do you have any photos of your Grandpa or did you already tell your family to remove them?

Get over the whole photo thing man.

rAm
11-30-2009, 04:32 PM

Its pretty awesome. Youre going to be very surprised about who youre distantly related to....like really distant.

Im a hockey fan so the only one I remember is Guy LaFleur. Apparently, he is my 7th cousin by blood, not marriage.

haha, that's awesome.

didn't realize they gave such detailed info, would love to see that

ashbeeigh
11-30-2009, 04:33 PM
Don't they have a trial period? Typical shit, if you don't cancel then they charge your card. My dad's cousin has a full account and has traced his mother's side pretty far back (the side we aren't related to). I've used his account a few times to try to trace pieces that are missing on the side that I don't have...but some people are just mia.

As far as acestry.com....the documents are cool,especially the census records. But, they are not good unless you have a firm grip on your tree already...unless you happen upon someone who has a link within your tree...which happen to me and I've traced a piece of my tree back to the dark ages. Pretty neat stuff.

I think my tree is up to close to 5,000...so everyone at this point is pretty distant...but we have some pretty neat people in there too...a ton of older Presidents and a few writers, including Nathaniel Hawthorne. It is really cool.

Jekka
11-30-2009, 04:40 PM
Anyone have an account on this site?

There are a couple things about my family I wanted to check out, but really don't want to pay the monthly fee for it right now, I am broke as shit.

Also, how is the premium side of this site?

Any help would be appreciated : )

If you're in SA, you can access ancestry.com for free at the downtown library. They've also got the Texana department there, so if your family is from Texas they can help you find pretty much anything you want to know.

rAm
11-30-2009, 04:47 PM
If you're in SA, you can access ancestry.com for free at the downtown library. They've also got the Texana department there, so if your family is from Texas they can help you find pretty much anything you want to know.

wow thats really cool, wish I still lived in SA : /

mouse
11-30-2009, 04:54 PM
Get over the whole photo thing man.

I have yet to ride your taint. You really think you can do a good job finding your roots? ....nigra please! I am about to go Alex Haley on your ass.

(photo of Alex Haley I removed)

Alex Haley
11-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I support this topic! :tu

Frenzy
11-30-2009, 05:08 PM
Yep. btw that chick in your sig went to my HS
yeah an the other half went to mine.

Jekka
11-30-2009, 08:38 PM
wow thats really cool, wish I still lived in SA : /

Check with your local public library, because a lot of them offer stuff like this - it's a popular reason for people to go to the library. With some systems you can even log in from home with your library card information - some of them have really great database subscriptions.