PDA

View Full Version : Coach Pop's Mailbag

spursdotcom
11-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Ever wanted to ask Coach Pop a question? Send in your questions, the mailbag is open. We're going to give him a handful of questions each month.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/091130_pop_mailbag.html

:toast

z0sa
11-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Fabbs will be loving this.

anakha
11-30-2009, 04:20 PM
Fabbs must be licking his chops right now...

...or he might just send a couple of pics of Snicker bars. :lol

coyotes_geek
11-30-2009, 04:22 PM
I see the Coach Pop mailbag as a feature doomed for failure.

Evil Angel
11-30-2009, 04:25 PM
I see the Coach Pop mailbag as a feature doomed for failure.

Must agree here.
+1

dbestpro
11-30-2009, 05:04 PM
Pop's answer to questions.

"Pop, why aren't the Spurs moving the ball?"
"Cause they're holding on to it."

"Pop, why aren't the Spurs playing good defense?"
"Well, what the hell do you think?"

"Pop, why do you play small ball so much and why you play Finley at the PF?"
......................silence .......................................

"Uh, er, this is Joey. The web guy. Pop has left the building and said I was fired."

spursdotcom
11-30-2009, 05:14 PM
I don't think it will be like that at all. He gave us very good answers in his one-on-one (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/090923_popovich.html) a few months back and agreed to answer fan submitted questions.

dbestpro
11-30-2009, 05:23 PM
I don't think it will be like that at all. He gave us very good answers in his one-on-one (http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/090923_popovich.html) a few months back and agreed to answer fan submitted questions.

The answer was mean't to be a parody. You can't take the responses in here too seriously.

coyotes_geek
11-30-2009, 05:31 PM

I'm not worried about Pop giving good answers. I'm worried about Pop being given good questions.

spursdotcom
11-30-2009, 05:32 PM
The answer was mean't to be a parody. You can't take the responses in here too seriously.

Not necessarily in response to you, just the preceding comments. :toast

spursdotcom
11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm not worried about Pop giving good answers. I'm worried about Pop being given good questions.

Not concerned about that either. We always get good, well thought out and stated questions when we do mailbag.

alchemist
11-30-2009, 05:56 PM

"Uh, er, this is Joey. The web guy. Pop has left the building and said I was fired."
:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

HarlemHeat37
11-30-2009, 06:04 PM
LOL..it's probably true..if we want this to be a success, everybody should probably avoid any Finley-related questions..

celldweller
11-30-2009, 06:05 PM
Hey Pop, Keith Bogans.........Seriously?

Seventyniner
11-30-2009, 06:06 PM

Like: "Pop, why should we think that you'll give any more thought to these questions than those posed to you during nationally televised games?"

ElNono
11-30-2009, 06:39 PM
How do you attach images to the questions? I wanted to add this one to
mine:

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii452/bluecynder/Demotivational%20posters/2425121831_bb639583d8.jpg

/kidding

ElNono
11-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Actually we could use the rest of this thread to post the most ridiculous/funny questions you should never formally ask Pop. Like: "Does Finley really have compromising pictures of you?"

Bukefal
11-30-2009, 07:00 PM

:lmao :lmao

urunobili
11-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Sent one :) spursdotcom can we send more than one?

z0sa
11-30-2009, 07:07 PM
Actually we could use the rest of this thread to post the most ridiculous/funny questions you should never formally ask Pop. Like: "Does Finley really have compromising pictures of you?"

Though Pop won't be reading through all the emails, if he did he'd probably refer to as his hatemailbag.

Flux451
11-30-2009, 11:15 PM
This is when Pop decides to discombobulate the entire team because of all the encouraging fan mail. If only he were observing Spurstalk more often, then he would be the best coach ever.

Shine Spurstalk, Shine on.

SA210
12-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Awesome

FromWayDowntown
12-01-2009, 09:47 AM
Coach Pop, how do I deal with the pain of my mancrush on Bruce Bowen going unrequited in the face of your mancrush on Michael Finley? I've been struggling with this for months and will probably be arguing in 2020 that the Spurs only hope for a title is to start Bruce Bowen at the 3!

easjer
12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Coach Pop, how do I deal with the pain of my mancrush on Bruce Bowen going unrequited in the face of your mancrush on Michael Finley? I've been struggling with this for months and will probably be arguing in 2020 that the Spurs only hope for a title is to start Bruce Bowen at the 3!

:lol

Nicely done.

Fabbs
12-01-2009, 10:54 AM
LOL..it's probably true..if we want this to be a success, everybody should probably avoid any Finley-related questions..
Thus it's going to be a very sincere realistic Q & A by Popped. :rolleyes

Who butters the toast?
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/666-4.jpg

romad_20
12-01-2009, 11:03 AM
I went with the serious approach, but I'm very interested in his answer (if he gets it)

Coach Pop,

This question is not exactly Spurs related, but as an Air Force veteran (former Forward Air Controller) I've always been interested in your AF background and your style of management and leadership. Just from seeing you coach all these years and how you conduct yourself, I would have loved to have served under you. I've heard you say on many occasions that you don't think you'd write a book. Is there any chance that you would reconsider or are you considering it once you are done with coaching?

Thanks

FromWayDowntown
12-01-2009, 11:33 AM
Coach Pop,

When faced with criticism from those who've never come close to making the sorts of decisions that you must make on a regular basis, do you prefer: (a) trying to offer substantive rebuttals that will permit the questioner to understand your thought processes; (b) ignoring what was said, much as you must when coaching in a hostile arena; (c) remembering the silly criticism and laughing about the asinine comments over a nice bottle of wine with Tony and Timmy; or (d) confiding your doubts in your decision in confidence to your wife and Michael Finley?

easjer
12-01-2009, 01:56 PM
You are killing me, FWD.

Dear Pop,

The hair. Let's discuss. It seems to me that you took a step in the right direction this season when you shaved the beard and lost the kind-grandfather look. However, I think that your hair is still too styled to really lead the Spurs where they need to go. In looking back to past championships and past seasons, it's obvious that there is a direct linkage to the shortness and military-style-cut of your hair and the toughness of the Spurs defense. Do you think your more styled look has led to a more flash-driven style of play and do you think cutting it to be less Hollywood will in fact make the Spurs a more tough-minded team?

completely deck
12-01-2009, 05:44 PM
I went with the serious approach, but I'm very interested in his answer (if he gets it)

Coach Pop,

This question is not exactly Spurs related, but as an Air Force veteran (former Forward Air Controller) I've always been interested in your AF background and your style of management and leadership. Just from seeing you coach all these years and how you conduct yourself, I would have loved to have served under you. I've heard you say on many occasions that you don't think you'd write a book. Is there any chance that you would reconsider or are you considering it once you are done with coaching?

Thanks

I'd buy 5 copies

dbestpro
12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
I'd buy 5 copies

Just curious why 5 copies when you can only read 1 at a time.

raspsa
12-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Dear Pop:

Are you really quitting as coach when Timmy retires?

senorglory
12-02-2009, 01:11 AM
Dear Pop,

If you don't bring back the lumberjack beard, this puppy we're holding gets it. You've got two weeks to show substantial growth. We are watching.

Anonymous.

Phenomanul
12-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Dear Pop,

If you don't bring back the lumberjack beard, this puppy we're holding gets it. You've got two weeks to show substantial growth. We are watching.

Anonymous.

:lmao

spursdotcom
01-04-2010, 09:59 AM
The Mailbag is open. Send in your questions - http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/091130_pop_mailbag.html

Chieflion
01-04-2010, 10:16 AM
Thanks, I sent in my question. I hope it deserves to be replied.

Fabbs
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
Coach Pop,

When faced with criticism from those who've never come close to making the sorts of decisions that you must make on a regular basis, do you prefer: (a) trying to offer substantive rebuttals that will permit the questioner to understand your thought processes; (b) ignoring what was said, much as you must when coaching in a hostile arena; (c) remembering the silly criticism and laughing about the asinine comments over a nice bottle of wine with Tony and Timmy; or (d) confiding your doubts in your decision in confidence to your wife and Michael Finley?
or a rewrite would be:

When faced with criticizm from those who must make much tougher decisions then you do on a daily basis and are not paid multi millions of dollars in having had the luxury of rolling out the practice balls to multiple HOFers anchored by Timmy Dunkar:

(a) good, the same
(b) ingnoring any and all sound strategy advice, as you have done in 3 of the last 4 playoffs. Much to the delight of the opponents coaching staffs.
(c) Respond to all legit criticism by being too arrogant to admit your faults and henceforth hiding yourself in bottles of wine.
(d) i cant tell here FromWayDowntown are you onboard that Pops overplaying time of Finley is insane or do you support Pops overplaying of FinleyBonner and is this more attempted wittiness?

polandprzem
01-04-2010, 03:08 PM
The Mailbag is open. Send in your questions - http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/091130_pop_mailbag.html

and now what?

Will pop answer them on the internet or will some questions will be asked during the interview?

FIVE ONES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

spursdotcom
01-04-2010, 09:56 PM
and now what?

Will pop answer them on the internet or will some questions will be asked during the interview?

Yes Pop will answer some of them. Here are last month's answers http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_0912.html

Baseline
01-05-2010, 12:36 AM
Dear Pop,
Can we just pretend that Finley's ankle injury is career-ending? Can we, please?
Nobody would notice but you, anyway. Yeah, unfortunate, tragic, whatever, whatever. So we'll just go with "career-ending," okay?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
01-05-2010, 01:17 AM
Dear Pop, do you enjoy Australian wine? If so, what is your favourite region/winery?

urunobili
01-05-2010, 12:59 PM
it's closed now... couldn't submit my question :depressed

Coach Pop:

While coaching a basketball team, can you tell us what the percentage is in between knowledge of the game and psychology or capacity to handle the group? (ex 50-50) Thanks for your availability

spursdotcom
02-22-2010, 10:17 AM
The mailbag is open - http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/091130_pop_mailbag.html

Big P
02-22-2010, 10:22 AM
uh oh

Fabbs
02-22-2010, 10:25 AM
What research went into trading all those expirings for Dick Jefferson and how's that working out?

Detroit just outrebounded the Spurs 49-32, yet Blair was on the bench most of the game. Why?

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Got my questions in. My form is probably being deleted as we speak.

DAF86
02-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Got my questions in. My form is probably being deleted as we speak.

What did you ask?

phyzik
02-22-2010, 10:40 AM
Dear Pop,

I just wanted to commend you on your masterfull job with the team strategy this season. Your plan to incite rage from all Spurs fans is progressing quite nicely. although there are still a few that still trust in the "Old Pop". I have a plan to remedy this...

To further bring fourth mind numbing anger, I humbly suggest a starting linup that includes Ian Mahinmi at the point, Keith Bogans at center, Matt Bonner at shooting guard, Michael Finley at Power Forward and have Dujuan Blair as a second guard, but keep him out on the perimiter to keep the defense honest.

If that doesnt get them going, I dont know what will.

Regards,
Phyzik

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 10:46 AM
What did you ask?

Basically the same things I've been asking here. How and whether smallball is related to being outrebounded, what Keith Bogans has shown Pop that he hasn't shown anyone else, why they don't have any centers when the Lakers are the benchmark of the league, why Duncan has to defend the paint by himself, and if they can return to basic basketball and turn the season around. Expect not to see any questions like that.

lurker23
02-22-2010, 12:34 PM
My submission:

Do you think the team's inability to gel so far defensively has anything to do with Richard Jefferson's extended minutes at power forward, considering every observational and statistical measure shows the Spurs play better with two big men on the court?

I tried my best to keep it as neutral and civil as possible so maybe it has a minuscule chance of being answered, but I think I failed.

spursdotcom, you do a great job. I doubt you have any say in which questions Pop answers, but if he could be asked one civil and open question about small ball and/or his rotations, that would mean 100x more to Spurs fans than 1,000 questions about his favorite wine or his beard or his time at Pomona-Pitzer. Thank you.

nkdlunch
02-22-2010, 12:40 PM
What research went into trading all those expirings for Dick Jefferson and how's that working out?

We don't have a player by that name...

Detroit just outrebounded the Spurs 49-32, yet Blair was on the bench most of the game. Why?

He looked nice and comfortable sitting on the bench I said to myself, why bother him? next question

nkdlunch
02-22-2010, 12:41 PM
Dear Pop,

I just wanted to commend you on your masterfull job with the team strategy this season. Your plan to incite rage from all Spurs fans is progressing quite nicely. although there are still a few that still trust in the "Old Pop". I have a plan to remedy this...

To further bring fourth mind numbing anger, I humbly suggest a starting linup that includes Ian Mahinmi at the point, Keith Bogans at center, Matt Bonner at shooting guard, Michael Finley at Power Forward and have Dujuan Blair as a second guard, but keep him out on the perimiter to keep the defense honest.

If that doesnt get them going, I dont know what will.

Regards,
Phyzik

zzzzz... are you done? I stopped reading after your first sentence.

nkdlunch
02-22-2010, 12:43 PM
Basically the same things I've been asking here. How and whether smallball is related to being outrebounded, what Keith Bogans has shown Pop that he hasn't shown anyone else, why they don't have any centers when the Lakers are the benchmark of the league, why Duncan has to defend the paint by himself, and if they can return to basic basketball and turn the season around.

Bogans plays some D and shoots some shots at times. Bonner stretches the floor and we need a white guy out there. No to the 2nd part.

Next question...

nkdlunch
02-22-2010, 12:46 PM
My submission:

Do you think the team's inability to gel so far defensively has anything to do with Richard Jefferson's extended minutes at power forward, considering every observational and statistical measure shows the Spurs play better with two big men on the court.

No. Next question.

spursdotcom
02-22-2010, 02:58 PM
My submission:

Do you think the team's inability to gel so far defensively has anything to do with Richard Jefferson's extended minutes at power forward, considering every observational and statistical measure shows the Spurs play better with two big men on the court?

I tried my best to keep it as neutral and civil as possible so maybe it has a minuscule chance of being answered, but I think I failed.

spursdotcom, you do a great job. I doubt you have any say in which questions Pop answers, but if he could be asked one civil and open question about small ball and/or his rotations, that would mean 100x more to Spurs fans than 1,000 questions about his favorite wine or his beard or his time at Pomona-Pitzer. Thank you.

Thanks... Questions that are asked without the perception of being an overt attack definitely have the best chances of being asked and answered. We have a decent number of "appropriately" posed questions (hopefully). :toast

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 03:15 PM
Well, considering the questions that Pop short answers or gets frustrated with, you're going to have a hard time culling out any percieved "overt attacks" and ending up with anything but snowballs.

GreasyJoe
02-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Dear Pop, do you enjoy Australian wine? If so, what is your favourite region/winery?

i lol'd :hat

spursdotcom
02-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Well, considering the questions that Pop short answers or gets frustrated with, you're going to have a hard time culling out any percieved "overt attacks" and ending up with anything but snowballs.

That's not necessarily true, we have some questions that are posed very respectfully.

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 03:59 PM
That's not necessarily true, we have some questions that are posed very respectfully.

I submitted several, and attempted to be as polite as I could, but they were pointed questions, typically the type that makes Pop bristle. I'm optimistic that we get some answers. I wouldn't bet the farm that Pop's any less confident in his position than I am in mine. :)

rayray2k8
02-22-2010, 04:09 PM
You know, everytime spursdotcom comes by usually a few posters are negative, but SDC keeps coming back.
Props to spursdotcom for putting up with all their bullshit. :tu

I'm wondering what are spursdotcom thoughts on the spurs struggles?

Obstructed_View
02-22-2010, 04:14 PM

Since spursdotcom works for the Spurs, it's probably best that they don't answer. ;)

But definitely thanks for giving everyone a heads-up to have an avenue to at least ask the questions. I don't ask the questions I ask because I want the Spurs to suck or lose or because I hate Gregg Popovich.

GrandeDavid
02-22-2010, 04:15 PM
Coach Pop,

WHY!?

Thanks,
GD

spursdotcom
02-22-2010, 04:18 PM
You know, everytime spursdotcom comes by usually a few posters are negative, but SDC keeps coming back.

Props to spursdotcom ...

Thanks, just trying my best to do the best job I can. :toast

I want us to win every game, I just try to keep it in perspective. Of course it's frustrating, but I try to stay as positive as I can and keep the faith. :flag:

romsho
02-22-2010, 04:19 PM
Pop is the question Nazi. The fact that you must tapdance around the obvious just to get that pompous dickhead to respond is ridiculous. All hail the great egomaniac.

Chieflion
02-22-2010, 09:34 PM
I submitted my question, but it is safe to say it wouldn't be answered and some random question about Pop's wine and NBA coaching career and the "success" of the RRT be answered.

Thompson
02-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I asked him what he thinks of Hairston. I wanted to ask about Ian also, but I could almost feel him glaring at me and shouting 'No soup for you! Come back, one year!'

In his defense, he probably has to read pages of people questioning/insulting him and his coaching decisions. He probably has his reasons, I'm just really curious to know what they are.

ElNono
02-22-2010, 10:36 PM
Thanks, just trying my best to do the best job I can. :toast

I want us to win every game, I just try to keep it in perspective. Of course it's frustrating, but I try to stay as positive as I can and keep the faith. :flag:

Do you travel with the team when they're on the road?

temujin
02-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Is there any other reason why you play Jefferson, other than his big contract?

angel_luv
02-23-2010, 01:29 PM
when will these questions be answered by Pop?

spursdotcom
02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
when will these questions be answered by Pop?

Were hoping to get them today at practice, but that didn't happen. Hopefully tomorrow before the game. :toast

angel_luv
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Were hoping to get them today at practice, but that didn't happen. Hopefully tomorrow before the game. :toast

Awesome. Thanks for the response. I will keep checking this thread for the article link.

Thompson
02-27-2010, 08:47 PM
Bump. Any new info spursdotcom?

lefty
02-27-2010, 09:00 PM
Dear Gregg,

When are going back to being Popovich?

Because the Yoyopitch experiment has lasted long enough.

Dro210
02-27-2010, 09:27 PM
It's too bad Pop doesn't have to read through all the questions himself to find the ones he likes.... even if he didn't answer, he'd at least have to read what we thought.

This is cool tho. Keep up the good work spursdotcom.

spursdotcom
02-28-2010, 12:40 AM
Bump. Any new info spursdotcom?

Sorry, but no. We were unable to get to give him the questions before the OKC game. Hope to be able to do it sometime this week at practice.

Thompson
02-28-2010, 12:57 AM
Sorry, but no. We were unable to get to give him the questions before the OKC game. Hope to be able to do it sometime this week at practice.

Thanks, just wondering. Kind of a slow Saturday.

Obstructed_View
02-28-2010, 01:04 AM
Whew. They delayed long enough that now they have a reason not to ask or answer any "why don't you play Hairston or Mahinmi" questions, because he's already done it.

Where do you like to go on vacation, Pop?

Why do you think Mark Cuban hates the riverwalk?

Do you prefer Chinese food or Mexican food?

Do you have stay in contact with your former players?

Are you ever going to start wearing a tie again?

And I guess the form will be closed just in time to avoid, "Why did you start Bogans and Finley again?"

word
02-28-2010, 01:20 AM
Dear Pop,

Why do the Spurs suck ?

Thanks

spursdotcom
03-03-2010, 06:13 PM
The Mailbag has been answered.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/pop_mailbag_1003.html

Obstructed_View
03-03-2010, 06:17 PM
Good, you got my PM. Thanks.

Bender
03-03-2010, 06:18 PM
"small ball" question was asked too nicely

Obstructed_View
03-03-2010, 06:29 PM

Small ball question was asked by someone stroking Pop's ego. He clearly thinks the league has changed somehow. He's an idiot.

spursdotcom
03-03-2010, 06:35 PM
:rolleyes

ElNono
03-03-2010, 06:38 PM

Thanks for updating us about this...

HarlemHeat37
03-03-2010, 06:54 PM
The +/- part is very telling about why he played a certain player so much last year;)..

Hopefully he realizes Bogans has the worst +/- on the team..

lurker23
03-03-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks, spursdotcom! We really appreciate all your work. I think many of us would like to see longer and more thorough answers from Pop, but I haven't seen an interviewer yet who has been able to do that; he is generally terse and to the point (sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way) toward everyone from local media to international media. Thanks for asking him the questions!

Thompson
03-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Thanks spursdotcom. How many questions would you say y'all get on average (500-600)?

DBMethos
03-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Despite all the flak that I've given Pop for the coaching job he's done this season (with much of it deserved), it's still pretty cool that he answered one of my questions. :)

Fabbs
03-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Way to avoid answering the question, Popped. All he did was parrot back the question the reader asked and then change the subject to shooting! :lol

V. Garcia
Question: Championship Spurs teams always seemed to get stops when they were most needed. What are the biggest factors that have hurt the team in this regard?

GP: Well, the question just hit that right on the head. The thing we haven't done as well as in the past is make stops on demand. Our shooting has to become more consistent before we get to the playoffs if we're going to be successful.

ginobilized
03-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Totally cool that Pop participates in this. Thanks spurs.com.

spursbird
03-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Dear Pop, how many times have you had sex with Findog, Bonner and Bogans? Who are the hottest?

Fabbs
03-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Originally Posted by Bender View Post

Small ball question was asked by someone stroking Pop's ego. He clearly thinks the league has changed somehow. He's an idiot.
no doubt. What a farce! He "has" to put Mike Finley on Dirk.
Bonner on any speedy 3 or athletic 4 ie Odom. STFU Popped.

Thanks for the attempt spurs.com seriously. Am in no way shape or form talking about your efforts.

Death In June
03-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow, most of those questions were asked through a mouth full of Pop's dick.

byrontx
03-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks, spursdotcom. We appreciate you coming to spurstalk and being inclusive.

Blackjack
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
V. Garcia
Question: Championship Spurs teams always seemed to get stops when they were most needed. What are the biggest factors that have hurt the team in this regard?

GP: Well, the question just hit that right on the head. The thing we haven't done as well as in the past is make stops on demand. Our shooting has to become more consistent before we get to the playoffs if we're going to be successful.

That was the Q and A that stood out to me, but for a different reason; the answer's pretty revealing.

What Pop acknowledges is that the team is either incapable of getting it done defensively or that there's been a significant shift in his approach to the game and philosophy. I believe it's the former but neither bodes well (nor is it surprising).

spursdotcom
03-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Thanks spursdotcom. How many questions would you say y'all get on average (500-600)?

Depends how long we leave it open. For this it was only open a little more than a day and had a little less than that, but for the two previous mailbags they were in that neighborhood.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 12:38 AM

Regarding Pop's explanation of "small ball", again he's full of shit. He seems to think he needs to play that style situationally to matchup with opposing teams. However, if he had a couple of athletic, mobile perimeter bigs, who could defend, he wouldn't need to employ such a strategy.

Thanks to Spursdotcom for the link to the mailbag answers.

SouthTexasRancher
03-04-2010, 12:48 AM
LOL at anyone getting a straight answer from Pop. Pop needs to spend his time getting the players to play up to their potential. Pop also needs to spend his time watching other teams to see how much more athletic the other teams are and the fact that they have true centers and guys who can actually play defense.

Killakobe81
03-04-2010, 12:54 AM
I didnt think he said he bought in to +/- he just said it SHOWS trends.

he said he goes by situations and what is needed (my guess matchups?)

Pop is a great coach ...the teamhas performed below expectations but i thhought they were a contender for WCF but not a title team anyways ...

SequSpur
03-04-2010, 12:56 AM
the top teams in the nba play big.. how has that changed? pop is aloof...

jjktkk
03-04-2010, 02:49 AM
the top teams in the nba play big.. how has that changed? pop is aloof...

Yep thats how it usually works. You think if Pop had another viable big man to piar alongside Duncan, that he wouldn't take advantage of it? Pop's not aloof in that regard.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2010, 03:06 AM

Oh give me a break. Show me any evidence that anything I've said is wrong. Nobody's holding your feet to the fire to ask any hard hitting questions, and you surprised nobody by lobbing little ego-stroking meatballs across the plate for Pop to swat at and feel like a genius. I'll give you a break on that because you don't want to lose your job for embarrassing the boss, but don't start rolling your eyes like you've got an opinion that isn't bought and paid for.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2010, 03:11 AM
Yep thats how it usually works. You think if Pop had another viable big man to piar alongside Duncan, that he wouldn't take advantage of it? Pop's not aloof in that regard.

As well as Ratliff has played for Larry Brown, I'm unsure what makes you so sure Mahinmi can't play. As for benching viable big men please see playoffs 2006.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 03:22 AM

Aloof? Don't know. Stubborn? Hell yes.

Are you forgetting how he ceremoniously banished Hill to the bench during the 2nd half of the season, in favor of his precious veteran, Jacque Vaughn? For some unexplained reason, he decided got wise around Game 4 of the Mavs playoff series and reinserted the rook back into the lineup and he fared well.

Visbile production and obvious talents be dammed, Pop has been known to be a stubborn ass, if he feels he cannot trust a player - which can be a detriment of himself and the team.

taps
03-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Regarding Pop's explanation of "small ball", again he's full of shit. He seems to think he needs to play that style situationally to matchup with opposing teams. However, if he had a couple of athletic, mobile perimeter bigs, who could defend, he wouldn't need to employ such a strategy.

Mahinmi displayed great lateral quix, showed hard on PnR and totally sealed off Brooks repeatedly. He's too foul prone on the block though, we shouldn't try him out even just for 5 minutes/game. I know what you're thinking, and don't. Trust me, Popa knows best.

spursdotcom
03-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Nobody's holding your feet to the fire to ask any hard hitting questions, and you surprised nobody by lobbing little ego-stroking meatballs across the plate for Pop to swat at and feel like a genius. I'll give you a break on that because you don't want to lose your job for embarrassing the boss, but don't start rolling your eyes like you've got an opinion that isn't bought and paid for.

None of these questions were my questions. I didn't write one of them. I did not reword them, edit them or alter them in any way. These were submitted questions. You had an opportunity to have a question asked and declined. I find that convenient.

superbigtime
03-04-2010, 09:41 AM

Thanks to Spursdotcom for the link to the mailbag answers.

Pop's weak-minded inclination to react to the other team's players on the floor instead of playing to OUR strength is how the Spurs lost to Dallas in 2006 (along with Godawful and crooked officiating). How small do the Lakers, Nuggets, Mavs, Cavs, and Celtics play? How often does small ball win championships? Fucking MORON Pop. And I hate his nebulous answers. I can't wait til he is gone.

SenorSpur
03-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Pop's weak-minded inclination to react to the other team's players on the floor instead of playing to OUR strength is how the Spurs lost to Dallas in 2006 (along with Godawful and crooked officiating). How small do the Lakers, Nuggets, Mavs, Cavs, and Celtics play? How often does small ball win championships? Fucking MORON Pop. And I hate his nebulous answers. I can't wait til he is gone.

I believe it was in that series where Pop debuted his vaunted "small-ball" lineup. Nazr and Rasho were benched for virtually the entire series.

Exactly. Since it's obvious that he's noticed a changing trend in the NBA, I still maintain if the Spurs would've invested in a couple of athletic, mobile bigs (especially to offset the retirement of Horry), he would'nt have to resort such tactics. Instead, he was hell-bent on riding with defensively-deficient players like Finley & Bonner.

Blackjack
03-04-2010, 01:47 PM
Small ball's origins go back to '05 and they actually used it in the Sacramento series prior to Dallas (something I was reminded of after NBA TV showed Game 2, Spurs-Kings, the other day).

jjktkk
03-04-2010, 02:47 PM
As well as Ratliff has played for Larry Brown, I'm unsure what makes you so sure Mahinmi can't play. As for benching viable big men please see playoffs 2006.

Because after 5 seasons with the Spurs, Mahimni still has not cracked the rotation. Whatever the reason/reasons, may be.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2010, 03:59 PM
None of these questions were my questions. I didn't write one of them. I did not reword them, edit them or alter them in any way. These were submitted questions. You had an opportunity to have a question asked and declined. I find that convenient.

I'm sure you find it convenient, since you pulled out questions you assumed to be mine and sent me a PM asking me to re-word them because they were too confrontational. I didn't tell you not to ask them because I didn't think they should be asked, but because I didn't want to put you on the spot since you worried that you'd get in trouble for asking them.

It's too bad that rather than accepting my attempt to make your life easier that you come into the public forum afterward and act like you were willing to submit any of my questions to Pop the way I wanted to ask them.

Judging by the questions you ended up submitting, it seems pretty clear that you didn't live up to any of your talk about the asking things most of us actually want to know. They're only a step up from past questions in that they didn't ask about his favorite wine or where he went on his last vacation.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Because after 5 seasons with the Spurs, Mahimni still has not cracked the rotation. Whatever the reason/reasons, may be.

Ratliff spent most of a season with the Spurs and didn't crack the rotation. I guess he can't play either.

spursdotcom
03-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I'm sure you find it convenient, since you pulled out questions you assumed to be mine and sent me a PM asking me to re-word them because they were too confrontational. I didn't tell you not to ask them because I didn't think they should be asked, but because I didn't want to put you on the spot since you worried that you'd get in trouble for asking them.

It's too bad that rather than accepting my attempt to make your life easier that you come into the public forum afterward and act like you were willing to submit any of my questions to Pop the way I wanted to ask them.

Judging by the questions you ended up submitting, it seems pretty clear that you didn't live up to any of your talk about the asking things most of us actually want to know. They're only a step up from past questions in that they didn't ask about his favorite wine or where he went on his last vacation.

I was more than willing to ask one of your questions without any kind of changes, told which one, you understood and accepted that, then changed your mind on having it asked. Putting it any other way is false.

murpjf88
03-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Keep up the good work spursdot.com and keep posting news and information. Don't let a couple of bad apples ruin it for the rest of us.

spursdotcom
03-04-2010, 04:44 PM

jjktkk
03-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Ratliff spent most of a season with the Spurs and didn't crack the rotation. I guess he can't play either.

Sure he can play, spot minutes. Ratliff, at this stage of his career, is a one-trick pony(shot-blocking). After all theres a reason Ratliff is on his 8th different NBA team.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2010, 05:59 PM
I was more than willing to ask one of your questions without any kind of changes, told which one, you understood and accepted that, then changed your mind on having it asked. Putting it any other way is false.

I did change my mind on having it asked because you were worried about the questions being too pointed, and I didn't figure it was worth you getting in trouble to ask a question about Duncan being all alone in the paint. I didn't know you were going to then jump in and start rolling your eyes at my opinions on the public forum as though you suddenly have some guts.

You also said you had a "good" question about smallball and said that's why you wouldn't use any of my questions regarding smallball. Let me speak for a large number of Spurs fans here when I point out that the smallball question you submitted is a fucking joke.

Obstructed_View
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Sure he can play, spot minutes. Ratliff, at this stage of his career, is a one-trick pony(shot-blocking). After all theres a reason Ratliff is on his 8th different NBA team.

Since he's been in Charlotte, he's started five of seven games, plays 25 minutes a night, and has 5 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocks. That's a far cry from spot minutes, and I'd be perfectly happy with that kind of production from the center position. If Pop was that wrong on Ratliff, how wrong is he on Mahinmi?

Amuseddaysleeper
03-04-2010, 09:23 PM

A one tricky pony in the one trick the Spurs have virtual nothing of: Shot Blocking.

ElNono
03-04-2010, 09:31 PM
A one tricky pony in the one trick the Spurs have virtual nothing of: Shot Blocking.

Exactly.

jjktkk
03-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Since he's been in Charlotte, he's started five of seven games, plays 25 minutes a night, and has 5 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocks. That's a far cry from spot minutes, and I'd be perfectly happy with that kind of production from the center position. If Pop was that wrong on Ratliff, how wrong is he on Mahinmi?

LOL, wow! So in 25 minutes Ratliff is averaging 5 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 blocks. Holy Sheep Shit Batman, those numbers are off the chart! Your hate for Pop is really starting to disrupt your thinking O V.

spursrocks
03-05-2010, 10:18 AM
pop sucks! spurs wont make the playoffs IF pop will continue to use 'small ball' approach! book it! for those who believe we can win championship with bogans/jefferson at PF or bonner at center, good luck. cant imagine we can beat denver, lakers and cavs frontline using small ball approach. shit it would be a disaster.